[URL Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 01/26/2009 at 10:07:11 AM PST

KDM99
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

Re:My review of this game

[Post New]by KDM99 on Sep 30, 08 11:18 AM
Good and concise write ups about these games.

I like the music the best in Huntsville ~ deliciously creepy and I loved the "old" theme from yesteryear.
Huntsville is the grand daddy of these excellent games and it evolved into quite a sophisticated M. Fate.
Can't wait to see Million Heiress!

VaNative
Minnow
Minnow
239 Posts

[Post New]by VaNative on Feb 1, 09 7:34 AM
I guess I missed your review.

[Post New]by ladywoodlane on Oct 30, 09 11:52 AM
I missed the review as well and really want to read it. Could you post it in it's emtirety here? Thanks. I have been stuck at level 5 for awhile and would like to read some reviews. I'm a little frustrated.

JKPHEP
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by JKPHEP on Nov 8, 09 3:19 PM
I guess I won't be playing this game. IT IS TIMED. I won't play timed games. It doesn't hurt to put timed and un timed on the same game. I know most people don't like them timed and now at this date they are doing untimed games. We won.

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Nov 30, 09 3:11 PM
I can see why the moderator removed his review if it was anything like mine! I got this game free today and I OVERPAID!!!!!

hutton98
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by hutton98 on Dec 2, 09 1:21 PM
I ALSO GOT THIS GAME FREE TODAY, AND IT PLAYS FOR 2 MINUTES THEN GOES OFF .

loonylimey
Clownfish
Clownfish
522 Posts

[Post New]by loonylimey on Jan 10, 10 9:38 AM
I got this game yesterday and I am glad it was free! I had just finished RTR and was hoping for a similar experience. I HATE being timed. I am a senior with slower reactions and I am not in hurry to finish any way.

[Post New]by deray44 on May 21, 10 8:35 PM
I thank you for the free game, as it is not one I would purchase. I'm a senior and not as quick as I need to be. I made it to level 3 and there I have been stuck for three days. Too frustrating --- could I trade for a different game untimed? I do like the opportunity to try your games for the 60 minutes, but it takes too long to load and when you finally get to play, there is only 45 minutes or so to play.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on May 25, 10 1:42 AM
I had forgotten how much fun the Mystery Case Files games are. The items are not that hard to find and with these 72 year old eyes, that is saying something. I finished 2 levels in just under 30 minutes so should get several hours of fun with Huntsville. i normally do not like timed games, but If I remember righty, I had no problems with the other MCF games. I still have several credits I have to use by the end of the month .. Huntsville will be one of them.

Thanks BF for bring this one back.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 25, 10 2:16 AM
This was the first HOG game I ever played, and about 5 years ago it was the only one around of its kind. There was an I Spy game for kids, but I was sooooo drawn to this game I got addicted and playing them ever since. Timer, yes, all the early ones had them and I had to replay levels so many times I memorized most of them. I probably spent a week just trying to do the last level timed. Only hope was in 4 minutes try to find 4 objects, then use your 4 hints saved and click those off. Then I'd start over and try to get my name moved up to top of Leader.

I guess that is how we all started with HOGs if we played this first MCF classic. It is what brought me to BF to find more. HE Titanic was next, then MCF Prime Suspects, fantastic graphics too, then Madame Fate, all on timers. That's why they took so long to finish with the puzzles and nobody complained about short games LOL. It did take awhile to convince devs to give the option which brought many other HOGers into the fold.

I bought this again when on a free or 99c deal to get a 6th punch, although I already owned it, wanted it listed with all my other MCFs on game mgr and History and not that orphan icon on my desk from a different club. I STILL play with it and MCF Prime Suspects altho not as fast as I used to be. I loved the humor in it and (outside of the timer) the simplicity and graphics and easy minis.

The difficulty level became higher and higher as MCFs evolved, and lost the humor, dark spooky themes. But I think this and Prime Suspects belong in any game collection for the history and nostalgia. And, having worked my way through all the difficult ones, I guess the experience does make these easier, and hardly time out except last level and replay it a few times for the pleasure of finishing. If this game came out new now, without a timer, few would buy it saying it is too short, too easy. And others would pass for the timer like these comments. That's a shame, it was the original and a classic. It's what made BF in the beginning and set the standards. Now I wish BF would make a long new one without timer but as fun and lighthearted as when it all began.
This little gem has my total respect

Edited on 05/25/2010 at 2:18:26 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 25, 10 2:44 AM
Senior Players - we may not be quick at hand to play this, but I can tell you it can help sharpen memory LOL. Use your hints, and as you have seen you don't have to find all of them, maybe a few you can skip.

It wasn't tiny objects that were my eye problem, but until a year or so later when I bought a new flat panel monitor with more brightness, there were many items I could name that I never actually saw at all, white on white (mouse on the barber chair) and dark corners. No wonder it was so hard!! But I had used hints and replayed levels so many time I was finally able to remember and just click those invisible ones off. I couldn't believe on new monitor and pc graphics card everything was right there in plain sight. So, if that's a problem, turn brightness up to 100% or tilt the screen a bit, you'll see them.

If frustrated, just consider it a good exercise in strengthening memory, and I at least got some sense of accomplishment from that. But, if like me it's not fun with the pressure, then I understand. I never got to finish MCF Madame Fate either, gave up timing out at the end. I spent weeks on that one, then found some relaxed games. MCF RTR had no timer but still took me 5 days first time. And Fate DID have lots of teeny objects, I'd get 9 of 10 something and have to start over. So I still enjoy this game and Prime Suspects more than MFate. At least the puzzles were easy.

Edited on 05/25/2010 at 2:54:38 AM PST

[Post New]by MacWaldo on Jun 8, 10 7:36 PM
Some folks are concerned that Huntsville is a timed game. Timing is what makes it fun and keeps a player playing - trying to better his/her time.

Un-timed games like "White House" are a one time game, in that when you finish (I did it first try) there is nothing else to do except delete it.

[Post New]by MayPoleLeave on Jun 13, 10 9:49 AM
I loved Dire Grove and Return to Ravenhurst but this game was a little different then expected. I loved being timed as it creates some excitement but I do agree that at the end if you are older the 4:00 is short to complete the game. If you can build time earlier in the game by finishing levels faster that would be better.

Also I doubt anyone could do the whole thing in 2:30 hours.

However if you are going to time people one frustrating aspect is the range for clicking the objects is small in this game. You can click an object 100 times and miss. Also you can't click new objects until the previous object has finished going into the crime computer. That slows you down. Games like London Caper you can click all the objects in 10 seconds.

Great thing about computers is age doesn't really matter. My sister met a 92yo who runs a horse racing program on his computer so surely us younger folks can get thru a game.

Varley
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Varley on Jul 13, 10 9:00 PM
This is a timed hidden objects game (HOG).

You are a detective solving multiple crimes (aka levels) in Huntsville.

The object of the game is to find X objects in Y minutes in Z locations while still leaving time to complete a 10x8? swap tile puzzle. The tile puzzle exposes the villain. Very cute and nice humorous stories.

I needed 4-4.5 minutes to do the 'swap tiles' puzzle at the end of each level. The problem is, at level 4 you get 13 minutes to find about 32 objects. At level 5, you get 17 minutes to find 40 objects in 5 locations (8 per) and still have to reserve yourself 4 minutes to do the puzzle! NO THANKS! I quit in the middle of level 5 - I think there are 12 or so levels.

There are only three hints per level. One good thing. You see rooms several times, so if you can play continuously, you may remember where some objects are.

To exit, you must be "in" an investigation/level/crime. And the clock starts ticking immediately. I stopped at the start of level 4 and lost 20? seconds trying to exit out of the game. (someone said you can use the ESC key to immediately leave. That may help.) You also lose a second or two waiting for objects to fall into your briefcase. No rapid click/select is allowed. You also lose time if you wait for their 'congratulations' or 'move on to next location' messages. You ALSO lose time sitting on the map! I think I also lost time while going to the main menu to quit! There is a pause button but the screen is completely obscured if you use it.

I hope I NEVER see this one again. What a waste of money and I wish I'd never purchased this one. Return to Ravenhurst and Dire Grove were so good. This game is too frantic and frustrating for me.

I think this game came out around 2006 and the developers realized their mistake. If a player wants a timed game, all one has to do is buy a clock! If you enjoy a timed game, try Haunted Hotel which is more generous with time and has 3 silhouetted bonus objects per ROOM which buys you 1 minute per object.

Hint: The second you finish a location, IMMEDIATELY click the Map button. Don't wait for any messages, And don't tarry on the map. Click a site and move on.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jul 18, 10 7:03 PM
this game is a little tougher because it is timed, but I enjoyed it. It is well done and I love the snarkiness.

trp1232
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by trp1232 on Feb 2, 11 5:57 AM
this game was tough to me but i tried and tried and now i can complete the whole game without restarting any of the levels

trp1232
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by trp1232 on Feb 2, 11 6:01 AM
i have completed the game

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Mar 1, 11 12:53 AM
This and Prime Suspects are still my faves of the MCF series. They are snide, sly, broad comedy with outrageous criminals and even more outrageous "crimes". I wish Big Fish would come out with more like this. I like the more complex games, too, but I miss the slapstick humor in these. This and the I Spy games were what got me hooked on Hidden Object Games waaaaaay back when and made me seek out Big Fish when it became a game portal instead of just a dev studio.

And I don't like timed games, either, but that's what gives this game any level of difficulty whatsoever, as it is short for its genre because it's several years old....back in the day when us folks on dial-up wouldn't download stuff much over 20-30 MB.

Zmija6
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Zmija6 on Mar 8, 11 12:47 PM
Can get really frustrating but once you fail a level I'm glad you can replay that one and not start from the whole beginning of the game, that would of been horrible. Could of been much better, but considering it's a pretty old game, it's not too bad. I'll complete it. Not a favourite of mine, though.

Go to: