bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Welcome to Penny Dreadfuls™ Sweeney Todd Collector`s Edition forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jan 14, 10 12:05 AM
Welcome to Penny Dreadfuls™ Sweeney Todd Collector`s Edition forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other Penny Dreadfuls™ Sweeney Todd Collector`s Edition players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

Edited on 01/19/2010 at 12:11:48 PM PST

penhaligon
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Re:Welcome to Penny Dreadfuls™ Sweeney Todd Collector`s Edition forum

[Post New]by penhaligon on Jan 14, 10 12:31 AM
Going to give this one a try. Looks like fun!

lynnestock
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by lynnestock on Jan 14, 10 1:13 AM
Is it really worth the difference in price buying the Collectors Edition? I am relatively new (12 months) to BigFish, so not sure. I bought MCF Collectors Edition but haven't played it yet. I would be grateful for any direction on this.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jan 14, 10 1:17 AM
Excellent graphics!! Doesn't seem as difficult as Dire Grove which is fine with me. Although I have only played 20 minutes.
Great story line. Love the voices (who can resist a British accent)
Love the rain. Runs smooth. Hints recharge quickly enough.
Lots of help if you need it.
I LOVE IT!
Bought it.

Thank you BFG

jucha
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by jucha on Jan 14, 10 2:07 AM
love the graghic etc not interested in film clips played 28 mins finished chapter 1 so unless it gets more difficult not sure collectors edition will be worth the money as may only be 3 hrs game play ,

Edited on 01/14/2010 at 2:08:08 AM PST

kamenye
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by kamenye on Jan 14, 10 2:10 AM
biomix wrote:Excellent graphics!! Doesn't seem as difficult as Dire Grove which is fine with me. Although I have only played 20 minutes.
Great story line. Love the voices (who can resist a British accent)
Love the rain. Runs smooth. Hints recharge quickly enough.
Lots of help if you need it.
I LOVE IT!
Bought it.

Thank you BFG

I agree on the accents...only thing that would make it better is if it was the voices from the movie lol...Johnny Depp

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on Jan 14, 10 2:10 AM
downloading now will try it but not going to pay that price i can wait for the 6.99 but i can try it for an hour see if it worth the 6.99 besstan

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Jan 14, 10 2:41 AM
This is a beautiful game. Ran smooth on my vista with no problems.
I loved it. Will buy when it comes out in the regular version. Wish I could get the CE but I've bought 2 and my hubby will take my card away if I get another .

Edited on 01/14/2010 at 2:42:43 AM PST

Keziah000
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Keziah000 on Jan 14, 10 2:42 AM
Fantastic game - love it. Great graphics, great mood and atmosphere. Not as hard as Dire Grove so far. Hints are especially helpful with tasks telling you what to do if you get stuck, and they recharge quickly. Love the singing - love the british 'Bobby' that guides you thru - a definite for me! Love the set design, all objects appropriate to time and place. Will actually pay the extra this time for the CE, as I'm so keen to get back into it again. This one is worth two other regular games for me - 10/10.

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Jan 14, 10 2:46 AM

Bought it............works great on windows 7 with a wide screen monitor. like being at the movies.

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Jan 14, 10 3:01 AM
I am so happy that BFG has this game. I tried it elsewhere and loved it. The only part I didn't like was in the hidden object part, clicking on the hint only took it off the list and you never find the item. Other than that, it is worth the extra.

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Jan 14, 10 3:12 AM
jboliver1999
if you click on the word in the list it will show you where the item is then just click on it.

[Post New]by ILoveLucyRicardo on Jan 14, 10 3:14 AM
lynnestock wrote:Is it really worth the difference in price buying the Collectors Edition? I am relatively new (12 months) to BigFish, so not sure. I bought MCF Collectors Edition but haven't played it yet. I would be grateful for any direction on this.

Hi! Welcome to the pond! Is it worth the extra money for the CE edition? Well, all I can say is that this issue has been heatedly argued back and forth here in the forums...some think it is...some think it is not. I usually buy the CE editions myself. My advice would be to download the trial and see what you, yourself, think. Hope you enjoy the pond...it's a great place to play!

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jan 14, 10 4:13 AM
lynnestock wrote:Is it really worth the difference in price buying the Collectors Edition? I am relatively new (12 months) to BigFish, so not sure. I bought MCF Collectors Edition but haven't played it yet. I would be grateful for any direction on this.

As someone else said, this is up to each person. However, here's my 2 cents--
If you aren't in a mega rush to get this game, then wait for the regular version. If you then try, buy and love the regular version you can always buy the CE edition afterwards to get the extras it claims to have.

I bought the Dire Grove CE the day it came out. Althought DG is a great game,the extras were NOT worth the difference in paying $20 instead of $7. I never use walk throughs, the outtakes were stupid, and I don't use wallpaper. The "exclusive hidden object scenes"--there were about 2 total, I think (I honestly haven't found one of the Felix'es yet, but from other reviewers I know there's only a few extra scenes). So, worth $20 when I can get it for $7? NO. Worth $20 if that's all that was available? Yes, but only in the case of a MCF game (IMO). I would not pay $20 for a game that was not MCF.

The Edgar Allen Poe game that recently came out in CE before the regular release (which is now also out) created an uproar as well--I read some of the forum threads on that and most people who bought the CE were outraged (I didn't buy it, I have the regular version but haven't played it yet. I think most complaints were the game is too short.)

At the very least before you buy a CE, wait for more reviews first. There you can read about bugs, length of game (this is a big one, if you're paying $20, you want a long game!), etc. That helps decide.

Hope this is helpful.

Oh and another thing..just my two cents, but I think that if we "buoycott" Collector's editions, then BFG might get off this kick of releasing $20 versions of games weeks before the $7 version. If ppl want the CE, they will buy it. Releasing it before the regular version is manipulative.

pocojazz
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by pocojazz on Jan 14, 10 4:21 AM
I have bought the collectors edition for dire grove and the poe game. Dire Grove definitely worth it. I wish there had been one for return to ravenhearst. I love the integrated strategy guide because you don't have to go all the way out of the game or print things out to get hints if you need them.

That being said, while dire grove was worth it, Poe was not. The game was much too short to warrant a collector's edition imho. The only caveat was strategy guide and a few extra hidden object scenes.

I see both sides of the collectors edition dilemma. I think BF has hit a great compromise with this one by offering a 60 minute trial. That seems to be what most people were concerned about with these special editions; that there was no trial. Well, as usual BF has listened to us; the consumers.

I'm going to play this trial and if I like it, I will buy the collectors edition. If not, no money lost. Great going BF with this compromise! You all are the best.

Poco

BransonBel
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by BransonBel on Jan 14, 10 4:27 AM
Huge kudos to BF for the 60 min. demo!!! I still can't bring myself to pay the extra money, but for those who do it is a great way to make sure they like it before they buy. I can't wait for the regular version, it looks like a great game (but I must say I was a bit disappointed when ST didn't have Johnny Depp's face...**blush**)

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jan 14, 10 4:29 AM
I am DLing now. Is a CE worth it? I guess it depends.

Regular Game - $6.99
Game Guide - $6.99
Extras - $6.01

Now, figure it out! if you do not want the guide or the extras, It is not worth it. If you want the game and the guide but not the extras it is not worth it. You will probably be able to buy the guide later but it may not be interactive as this one supposedly is.

I bought the previous two CEs. I felt that EAPCE was very much worth it! I was a little disappointed with the MCFDGCE. I loved the game, mind you, but the extra game play was minimal and hard to ID at first. I did not really feel that I got my money's worth with the MCFDGCE (sorry BFG) however, I would have felt a little cheated with the regular edition if some levels were denied me. The EAPCE had the extra levels separate from the rest of the game and not mixed up in it so that if you bought the regular game, you would not feel you had missed something. OTOH, it's extra game play was like a mini iHOG and gave us more than MCFDGCE did. I did use the Guide with MCF and did not use it with EAP.

Will let you know about ST if I buy the CE.

Edited on 01/14/2010 at 4:30:26 AM PST

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 14, 10 5:20 AM
Will wait for reg. edition. Bought Poe CE. Way too short, I love Poe but story and and game were very uninteresting. I might have liked the CE of DS better, don't know. But I've decided, no more Ce's for me, not worth 3 times the price. I pulled the walkthrough for gamezebo up because they have better walkthroughs. YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE GAME TO USE IT. jUST GO TO OPTIONS AND CHANGE TO WINDOW MODE CHECK OUT THE WALKTHROUGH, THEN CHANGE BACK TO FULL MODE. No more hassle than the one inside the game. In these financil times, I have other things that need the money more. I am thankful to BF for the demo. Very Big Fish of you guys. Thanks for all the great reviews, fishies. Could use a shot of Johnny Depp myself. Would play just to hear his voice, even if I hated the game. No blush, just shameless enthusiasm!

Wish BF would just sell the extras for an addon of 6.99. That might be worth it. Never could understand why people would pay extra for a guide, since you can get good guides for free.and like I said above, youdon't have to leave the game to use them.

Edited on 01/14/2010 at 2:37:40 PM PST

[Post New]by AuntieJulie on Jan 14, 10 5:51 AM
I have just downloaded the trial - thanks BFG, I appreciate it!!

So far I like the game - graphics great, sound great and a nice mixture of HOG & point & click adventure - right up my street.

I won't be buying the CE edition, like many others I was disappointed with Dire Grove CE although I loved the game itself I felt it was not worth the extra dosh. Strategy guide, as already mentioned, can be obtained free. Also loved Edgar Poe but agree that it was too short and am glad I didn't buy the CE after reading many negative comments on the forum - thanks fishies. I can wait a couple of weeks for the regular version then I definitely will buy Sweeney Todd.

One thing that is slightly irritating me though - when finding hidden objects, the object that I get for inventory is not something I've had to look for!

Since I am only 20 mins into the trial my view is not really important but just felt I had to add my bit!

Have fun everyone!

[Post New]by AuntieJulie on Jan 14, 10 6:08 AM
Having gone through a little bit more of the trial I would also like to add that I much prefer to listen to someone's voice with the in between comments than have to keep stopping to click 'close' on dialogue that pops up on the screen.

The voice is well suited to the english victorian era and the graphics portray that era well.

So far, so good!!

Go to: