mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

Start from scratch

[Post New]by mpendo on May 16, 16 12:38 PM
Yesterday I got my new computer -kickass powerful and graphics. Happy happy.

But that means I start back at square one. But I'm slightly older and infinitely more game savvy now so I'm hoping to be back to Gold in all levels in time for the 4th world.

This is a great game to fit into a few minutes here and there during my day, except when I go to town in the forum.

Cheers

Theorem
Flounder
Flounder
2,290 Posts

Re:Start from scratch

[Post New]by Theorem on May 17, 16 6:06 AM
'lo mpendo!

Sorry to hear about your game lost in limbo (not about your new comp though!! Too cool!).

Maybe it would be worth saving your roaming file in a safe place so that in case you lose it again, you could overwrite the new file you'd create and wouldn't have to start all over again!

Have fun with your new game! You'll surely catch up with the rest of the gang in no time!!

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on May 17, 16 6:14 AM
Thx for the encouragement Theorem. Where would I find the 'roaming file'? I would save it for sure - because you never know.

Cheers

Edited on 05/17/2016 at 6:15:05 AM PST

Theorem
Flounder
Flounder
2,290 Posts

[Post New]by Theorem on May 17, 16 6:33 AM
I am not sure it's the same for everybody (but I guess so). Mine is under C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/Elephant Games/Sir Match-a-Lot (from memory because I cannot check right now ... and my computer here talks to me in French!).

I haven't tried with SMaL as it was not existing then, but when I had a major crash and had to buy a new computer, what I did with my other games was download them again, open them and hence create new files, and then replace the new roaming files with the saved ones and voilà, all my games were back where I had saved them last!

I am not sure I am perfectly understandable, don't hesitate to let me know in case you need clarification (or send me a PM)!

BTW, question to the Mods (or to anybody who knows!): Does SMaL have an ID we can refer to in case we have a problem? I can't remember having seen one (PC, not connected to FB ). Can CS restore an old game?

ETA: Ok, I found an ID number! (right down corner before clicking on Play)

Edited on 05/18/2016 at 12:21:30 AM PST

linda43416
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by linda43416 on May 24, 16 11:47 AM
Hi Theorem, I too reset my game by accident and lost all! I may have recovered my roaming file, not real sure, since win 10 doesn't seem to automatically do restore points. Anyway , I was wondering how you over ride new files or replace the new files with the older files? I had finished all 3 worlds and collected some extra gold and power-ups! Really didn't want to start from scratch but that is what I have been doing. Got a lot caught up but for future reference it would be good to know. Not a real computer whiz, just average older player, so don't know a lot of the things that are easy for those that grew up in the age of computers!! Thanks for all the info I find on forums, really helpful, everyone is great about sharing.

Theorem
Flounder
Flounder
2,290 Posts

[Post New]by Theorem on May 25, 16 7:34 AM
Hey Linda!

I am not a master es computers either in fact!! :-)

I do not have Win10 yet (too worried to have issues with all my old games) but I guess the principle is the same. What I did with the games I had lost (after having saved my roaming files, what I do once a week... if I think about it):

- Download the game through Game Manager again.
- Open it and hence create a new game and a new roaming file (automatic)
- Play a couple of levels and close the game (not sure whether this is relevant or not but I did!)
- Go to the roaming file I had saved in a secure place before the crash/new download
- Copy/paste this old roaming file onto the new one (the file already exists - do you want to replace it? --> yes!) (if you have the slightest doubt, you can also copy the new roaming file to a safe place before overwriting it with the old file, but you logically do this right after having restarted the whole game, so not much to lose!). Roaming files are usually found under C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming... (Elephant Games/Sir Match-a-Lot in this case).
- You will then have everything back to the moment you had last saved your roaming file.

I realise I might not be clear, do not hesitate to let me know!

Happy gaming!!

linda43416
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by linda43416 on May 28, 16 3:26 AM
thank you so much, I understand what needs to be done. I may need to clip and save those directions in a safe place for future use! almost caught up on all worlds, but still miss all my gold etc...! Thanks again.

Go to: