bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

The Search for Amelia Earhart

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jan 16, 10 12:05 AM
Follow Amelia Earharts’s life through space and time to learn about her accomplishments and discover what could have really happened to her on her last flight! The Search for Amelia Earhart puts your Hidden Object skills to the test as you unravel this historic mystery! Play mind-bending minigames to find valuable clues. Only you can discover the truth of what really happened on that long flight so many years ago

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

Re:The Search for Amelia Earhart

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Jan 16, 10 12:39 AM
This game is a bit rough around the edges. No exceptional graphics here. Not terrible but not the best either. Has timed and relaxed mode. No clue to length as I deleted game after 9 mins of play. Don't expect much in the way of frills as this game is quite ordinary. For those who like straight up hidden object with simplistic interaction then this game may suit you well. I will pass on this one. Maybe better choices tomorrow.

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jan 16, 10 1:17 AM
the game is good for a basically straight hog, the only interaction is like removing screws, opening drawers with keys and so on. story is very good, i like history so it kept my interest. finished chapter 4 in the hour, don't know how long it is. graphics were not bad. had sound turned off so don't know about music. you get 3 hints at the beginning, but every time you complete a mini game you get more hints, however you can only hold 9 hints at one time.

i give it 3

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jan 16, 10 1:21 AM
I am not feminist, but I sure am proud of this woman, and intrigued to read about her enchanted life.
The game is a straight HOG, with interactions and mini games, quite relaxing, good graphics, and very good resolution. The hint system is miser - you are given 3 hints only, but if you are left without a hint, the 0 reloads to 1. If you solve a puzzle, you gain 2 or 3 hints more. Timed and relaxed options.

Bought it, because of the historic value of the plot. Thanks, BF!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 16, 10 1:48 AM
I quite enjoyed the demo, but won't be buying. Graphics too grainy. I enjoyed learning about Amelia so I wasn't as bothered by the constant pop-up comments. But it got a bit much when I picked up the rust remover and the comment was 'I could remove rust with that!' A bit simplistic for me.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 16, 10 2:49 AM
Well my initial thoughts were this is a reasonable game I might buy it and then I came to the spot the difference which I am not keen on but will tolerate if they are few and far between. Well I started finding the differences and I was not keen on the flashing pink circles that showed me I was correct but then the Skip button charged and it has two arrows either side of it and they started flashing and they continued flashing at 90 mph ... I said OK I know that you are charged and I can skip the puzzle if I want you can stop flashing now ... did they? ... no they just carried on flashing at 90 mph until I just couldn't stand them any more and quit the game and deleted it.

This is supposed to be a hidden object game not an arcade game and the last thing that you want when staring intently at the screen is flashing lights before your eyes. Grrrrrrr.

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on Jan 16, 10 2:59 AM
i demo it but could not get past the first 3 rooms did the kitchen then did not know what to do it said complett but then when i tried to go some where else the kitchen was not complete so i stuck not for me sorry besstan

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 16, 10 3:26 AM
Mixed feelings here. I am a huge fan of Amelia Earhart and in a weird moment of synchronicity I just downloaded a biography of her a couple days ago. So subject matter has me interested.

I think the graphics are ok. The title screen is lovely but the game screens are a bit grainy. Not horrible, but not terribly pleasing either. Didn't even notice if there's music so if it's there it's innocuous. Timed optional, which I always love seeing because I think both preferences should be catered to.

What this game does *right* is hide objects. Some very tricky, but not in cheaty ways. No black on black or mostly transparent or some weird size, but yes, shiny metal on shiny metal or one leafy thing hidden amongst others or circular things hidden on a circular field. It is rare I need hints, I mean really need hints, when I have gone over the whole screen several times and can't find last 1 or 2 things, but I did here. I also enjoyed the challenge, albeit minimal, of the coordinates game. It was a new thing and I always appreciate new things. Some inventory interactivity, though pretty simple, added to the interest.

What this game does less than right are the *constant*, occasionally inane, pop ups about found objects. Things that are going to be interesting about Amelia sure, or make them something that can be turned off, but like was mentioned above, to say about something clearly labeled "Rust Remover" that "I can use this to remove rust" or a wrench "I can use this to loosen bolts" I mean come on. The flashing skip button also drove me nuts. And lastly, I was mildly offended and just plain grossed out by the landlord. Why have him there at all? How does this add to game play?

So while The Search for Amelia Earhart had some points of interest for me it just didn't have enough to win me over, and had enough irritations to tip the scales to the negative, at least for now. In my maybe pile.

Edited on 01/16/2010 at 3:27:54 AM PST

[Post New]by jennyoliver1 on Jan 16, 10 3:41 AM
Alerady stuck after 1st three rooms. What are you supposed to do woth the "coordinates gadget"? So far, not the best game.

Dorathea
Salmon
Salmon
2,794 Posts

[Post New]by Dorathea on Jan 16, 10 4:26 AM
I demo the game in interess of Amellia Earhart.

Loved the sexisme and ironie in the start with the landlord hoped there would be more..... came to the 3 rooms without any....

Also find the hidden objekt scenes better, than most game I tried.

The simplicity of the remarks + hints and the flashing of the skip bottom drived me nuts too

The game looked promising at first, but it's to easy and annoing for me.

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Jan 16, 10 5:05 AM
Played nearly the full hour, two a third chapters or a bit more.

Had to work a bit to ignore the flashing skip button.

Music is reasonably long clips, but some may not enjoy the considerable dissonance at least to my ears in some of the chapters.

Graphics are just fair, and you only realize where a target of interaction is if you happen to move your mouse over it, or receive direct information from our heroine... "this looks like a drawer key". Inane, yes, but it does alert you to the fact you are getting something new in your inventory.

Timed and relaxed modes, and in this one, you better be pretty fast if you play timed. I had to redo most of the minigames 2 or three times before I could complete them within the 2 minutes alloted. Each chapter has 20 minutes allocated for 3 scenes of about 20 items. That I could handle.

Picture puzzles are made extremely easy at least at first; The first provides outlines of the pieces so you can match shapes. Later ones remain easy, but do seem to increase in challenge. The "flipping" puzzle becomes tedious once you understand what to do.

Probably the most annoying feature for the experienced player will be the fact that when you click an item correctly, your cursor goes away for a second or two while the game plays an animation of some kind. Nothing to do but wait until it comes back. This completely disrupts my normal search style which tends to go ...stare stare stare... clickclickclick.

"rough around the edges" is a fine description of the problems with this game. Feels like it was made in a hurry. I cannot say it is bad, the story is ok, the character imagery is not particularly well done, and all this detracts from an otherwise quite acceptable if easy iHOG.

2.5 of 10 on my scale. I haven't deleted it, but probably won't spend even $2.99 on it. Maybe some day it will turn up in a 99 cent sale.

deeno2
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by deeno2 on Jan 16, 10 5:49 AM
you have to use the pliers on the gadget before you can move on. I agree with most of the comments. I can clue out the flashing skip button but it may not be a buy for me as well.

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Jan 16, 10 6:27 AM
Cherb,
I so have to agree with you. This is one of the most irritating games that I have come across. Too many obvious comments. When I picked up a pen I expected Christine to pop up and say "This is a pen. I can write with this." Grrr. It got to the point that I was having aggressive feelings towards Christine.
Why have flashing arrows pointing to the 'skip' button? We know where it is and don't need reminding. I couldn't concentrate on the game because of them and skipped one game just because they were annoying me.
Even the music is vexing! A big from me. It will be deleted without the demo being completed.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Jan 16, 10 6:43 AM
Sadly, another annoying game, in all aspects, except obviously for the reference to Amelia Earhart. However, I understand that all developers don't have the same budget to work with or the same resources. Too bad. Hope other fish will enjoy and have a good time.
It's a no-go for me.

SueDee67
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by SueDee67 on Jan 16, 10 7:28 AM
I agree with the others on this game. It's just dead boring for me, as well as grainy, and I didn't play out the entire demo because of it. Sorry to say, but it's a from here too.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Jan 16, 10 7:33 AM
Well personally I like it.

Sometimes I am in the mood for a game that is neither intense or rushed, and unfortunately a lot of hidden object games are both of these.

I have concentration issues and a physical disability so some games get painful after a while (even hidden object), if there is too much interaction and or clicking but this one was easy on the wrist and did not take too much concentration.

A few of the mini-games are unique and I like that, yes the graphics are grainy and a little uncomplicated but I have seen far worse, at least you can see the objects and they are not just photographs stuck on to a stereotypical background.

The help menu's are easy to understand as well, some games I download I spend lot of the trial just working out the game. This one I understood straight away so felt I could get into the game.

I would consider buying this for those boredom filled afternoons when you want something relaxing to play, or those late nights where you do not want a hefty murder investigation to solve...or scare you .

marthah10
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by marthah10 on Jan 16, 10 8:05 AM
i am stuck in the kitchen i can not find the coat hanger

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jan 16, 10 8:28 AM
I enjoyed it .I thought the graphics were very clean and sharp. I did not see graininess, maybe it's my res setting or my wide screen (shrugs). The game play is pretty much straight HOG. There is not really enough interaction to quite call it an iHOG in my opinion. Objects are indeed cleverly hidden. There was at least one scene where it took me quite a while to find anything. Some objects are partially hidden. One piece of the newspaper was cleverly hidden in an open book so that I thought it was just a page in the book.

Hints constantly are added. You can use them as long as you have them. At one point i had 9 Hints. I don't know if there is a limit to them.

I also do not like Spot the Differences. I was also a bit put off by the flash when I found something but I don't recall the flashing arrows. I found about 6 diffs and then used Hints to get out of there.

I bought the game. That brought me to my only reall criticism. I had to start the game all over! I was working that flipping tile puzzle, almost finished it and now I will have to do that again. Also, I lost all of my trophys (not a big deal, I just wanted to see them). it occurred to me that if this is a short game, this is one way to make it seem longer - LOL! 3 out of 5 Stars (so far)

Edit: I also agree with Poodle about the pop-up historical info. Please put that in a journal so I can read it if i want to but don't interrupt me.

Edited on 01/16/2010 at 8:33:45 AM PST

jerseyd1
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by jerseyd1 on Jan 16, 10 9:03 AM
Sadly, all the games can't be good ones.

[Post New]by dawn5651 on Jan 16, 10 9:26 AM
I was interested in this game because what happened to Amelia is such a mystery.

I to didn't notice the game game to be grainy...i am wondering if its my wide screen monitor or my screen resolution.

I did find the game to be quite simple...its in my maybe pile.

The Flashing lights at the bottom by the skip button are annoying..as is all the dialogue...i am not sure why the landlord is there..

Go to: