picman050967
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,226 Posts

Why we offer Collector's Editions

[Post New]by picman050967 on Jan 16, 10 4:09 PM
The nice thing is that this is totally optional, you have a trial version and you always get the normal game like before. Having a collector's edition allows the budgets for future games to almost double. One of the big benefits is early access. The bonus features are there to reward folks who purchase for early access.

People complain a lot about how short games are lately. This is a way to allow the avid gamers to pay for early access and some extras. These folks actually help fund half the budget of future games so they can be longer and higher quality. Then in turn, the folks that wait for the regular game actually benefit from the larger game budgets.

So if you wait for the regular version, that is fine for you, but have respect for those that buy the CE version as they allow developers to increase their development budgets without going bankrupt! This game was developed with a budget that assumed the additional revenue from the Collector's Edition...without it, the game would have been shorter or of lower quality to make it for less costs.

If we simply raised prices (like to $7.99), not only would there be a customer revolt, but we would sell proportionally fewer games and thus the developer makes no more money. Also higher prices would also hit those that are in tough economic times to be able to play less games. While some may not like to wait, this does solve a very real problem for both developers and economically hard hit customers.

Just trying to share BFG's and developers' perspectives.

Picman

Edited on 06/16/2010 at 12:12:43 PM PST

MrsSkippy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,388 Posts

Re:Why we offer Collector's Editions

[Post New]by MrsSkippy on Jan 16, 10 4:12 PM
Thank you for the info Picman. Personally I like the CE's

hookedfish
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by hookedfish on May 3, 10 1:51 PM
THANK you for the explanation!! I have been wondering if it would be worth it to go back and buy a CE (Dire Grove, e.g.) after having bought the regular issue. I can see that I would have gotten some perks from the early purchase... but maybe not reasonable to purchase it in addition to the 'regular' version.

Now that I know the benefit (keeping costs lower, earlier access) I will keep my eyes peeled for new releases of anticipated titles!

Love you BFG!!!

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on May 3, 10 2:51 PM
hookedfish wrote:THANK you for the explanation!! I have been wondering if it would be worth it to go back and buy a CE (Dire Grove, e.g.) after having bought the regular issue. I can see that I would have gotten some perks from the early purchase... but maybe not reasonable to purchase it in addition to the 'regular' version.

Now that I know the benefit (keeping costs lower, earlier access) I will keep my eyes peeled for new releases of anticipated titles!

Love you BFG!!!
You don't have to pay for two games. You can trade up and pay the difference if you wish to get a CE having bought the regular version.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Aug 11, 10 12:43 PM
hookedfish wrote:... I have been wondering if it would be worth it to go back and buy a CE (Dire Grove, e.g.) after having bought the regular issue. I can see that I would have gotten some perks from the early purchase... but maybe not reasonable to purchase it in addition to the 'regular' version...
Mr_Russ wrote:You don't have to pay for two games. You can trade up and pay the difference if you wish to get a CE having bought the regular version.

How do you "trade up and just pay the difference" if you already have the SE? Does it happen automatically if you buy the CE when you have the SE on your PC or do you have to contact CS or take some other special steps? Inquiring minds want to know!!

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Sep 22, 10 2:52 AM
You have to contact CS.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Oct 30, 10 10:03 AM
heretic77 wrote:Wow, Picman, that's a really cool, if not long winded way of saying, "so we can make more money".

I think you missed the whole point.

There is no force involved in buying a collector's edition. They always come out in standard format in a month. It's not a this way or the highway situation.

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Oct 30, 10 10:04 AM
Heretic....why then don't you just deal with other websites and forget BF??? You always know ahead of time when there's a CE and you can then ignore the posting and wait for the SE. The prices on most of the other "legit" websites are more than BF for just regular games and the CS is no where near equal!!!! And I, for one, do not believe that CE's are "watered down" versions. I don't use screensavers or wallpapers but have always found the bonus sections to be a further entertainment feature plus usually a built-in Strategy Guide which I, for one, definitely need from time to time.

[removed by moderator]

Edited on 10/30/2010 at 10:49:21 AM PST

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Oct 30, 10 10:49 AM
Hey Fishies,

Let's remember to respect others' opinions and to keep things friendly per our Forum Rules. If you have any problems with any posts, please contact any of us Mods. Thank you.

-bfgArnoStyx

[Post New]by papillion727 on Jan 12, 12 6:50 PM
Though I'm now a retired senior citizen who has time to enjoy Big Fish Games I can offer my point of view because my career was in (computer) systems design and development. When I look at these games I marvel at how many hours and hours many people worked to get them to the production point. The artwork, the MILLIONS of lines of code that went into programming! The development costs are huge.

Remember Myst? How much did you pay for it?

Now think about how much HOG games have evolved since the first ones came out. I buy a few CEs but mostly wait for the SEs - and it's a really long wait because I now have a Mac. I think we're getting a bargain. And the reason is that BFG sells enough copies to generate a fair profit for the developers. You don't see any of the game developers listed on the Fortune 500.

Go to: