bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Welcome to The Hardy Boys: The Hidden Theft forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jan 17, 10 12:05 AM
Welcome to The Hardy Boys: The Hidden Theft forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other The Hardy Boys: The Hidden Theft players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

Re:Welcome to The Hardy Boys: The Hidden Theft forum

[Post New]by lineck on Jan 17, 10 4:57 AM
Well this is a very short review as I cannot get out of the first room.

It is an adventure game but, and a big but. There is no direction what so ever,

Its starts as a comic strip the goes into the game similar to ND but that is where it ends, No idea what they have to do no help whats so ever no starting story to let you know. 1/10

lineck

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Jan 17, 10 5:24 AM
I printed out a walkthrough and it is more like a time management adventure. and the time is too short to enable me to just click and change the person he keeps getting caught by Mum not for me it might be okay for anyone that enjoys a stressful TM adventure there is no H O or anything like that not for me I am contacting C S not happy.

lineck

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 17, 10 7:19 AM
There is a great walk-thru at Gameboomers that you can use until BigFish posts one. Unlike the first Hardy Boys game that was on BF a few months ago, this one is purely an Adventure game. It is similar to Nancy Drew for fans of that genre, but unlike ND you can see the characters of Frank and Joe walking around. The art work is not up to the ND standards, either.

It does leave a lot to be desired in the "logic" area - I, too, was completely stuck once the opening sequence played out. I don't mind using a walk-thru occasionally, but I am finding myself checking it all the time because I have a vague idea of what needs to be done but there are no visual or story-line clues to point me in the right direction. Something as simple as a task list, so you know what you are supposed to be doing (ie: find a way out) might be enough to make this a more enjoyable game.

For the problem of Frank getting caught all the time, position him at the end of the hall, so that the boys' bedroom still shows in the top right, with Frank near the bottom right. Then switch to Joe - if you let Frank take one more step he ends up going down the stairs and gets caught each time. Once Joe's done his thing (I don't like giving spoilers - check Gameboomers if you need help here)) it will automatically switch back to Frank, and you will have enough time .

Julie S.

Edited on 01/17/2010 at 7:23:52 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jan 17, 10 8:00 AM
PLEASE HELP!!!!
I can't figure out how to rejoin the boys so they are working together instead of one at a time.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jan 17, 10 8:20 AM
hannah57 wrote:PLEASE HELP!!!!
I can't figure out how to rejoin the boys so they are working together instead of one at a time.

I have the manual for this game and here is what it says about that.

Move your cursor to the top right of the screen and the taskbar will appear. One of the options in the taskbar is "character select mode." This allows you to choose whether you want to control Frank or Joe (single character mode) or both Hardys (dual character mode) at the same time.

[Post New]by rhonda4evermoore on Jan 17, 10 8:31 AM
This game really sucks!!!!!!!!!!! I screwed up when i bought it. What a waste!!!

azoch
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by azoch on Jan 17, 10 11:50 AM
sorry i bought this game, very frustrating, no information or hints to even get started in playing the game. very poor quality. i feel your selection of hidden objects games which are my favorites has gone down hill lately. would not recommend it to anyone,
will have to uninstall it just to get rid of it.
should have tried to review forums before buying it. i will certainly view forums from
now on if i decide to keep my membership. as a member i should not have to pay 21.00 for an excellent hidden object game. good ones are very rare nowadays.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jan 17, 10 2:42 PM
I bought this game when it came out a while back. I am a huge fan of the Nancy Drew games, and even though this is from a different developer, I thought it would be somewhat similar. I was so wrong. I honestly didn't even want to finish the game, but I forced myself to, because I spent $20 on it. The puzzles are so obtuse and the dialogue just never ends. The logbook in the game really doesn't provide much assistance. There's a lot of skipping back and forth between locations, which I generally don't mind, but going back and forth for ONE item drives me crazy. And I know this is a personal preference, but the graphics in the hospital area just creeped me out. I felt like I was in some sort of zombie apocalypse game rather than a nice, fun Hardy Boys game. I do love scary games, but the atmosphere did not fit with the rest of the game. In all, I found the game fairly boring and more like a chore than something fun to pass the time.

Edited on 01/17/2010 at 2:44:06 PM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jan 17, 10 8:59 PM
Thank you for the review Imberis. My daughter and I love the Nancy Drew games and have played them all. I was going to purchase this one as well since I thought it would be the same as Nancy Drew. Now I think I will hold off.

l1nda
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by l1nda on Jan 18, 10 7:55 AM
I wish I had not purchased this game! No instructions or clues within game!! have enjoyed many HiddenObject and Adventure games but this one is poor! I want my money back!!!

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Jan 18, 10 8:37 AM
L1nda,

You need to contact CS, we (us fishies) can't give you your money back here in the pond.

[Post New]by starlightsaffron on Jan 18, 10 10:39 AM
rubbish and frozen by the car. can't move away from it at all. Waste of money

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jan 18, 10 7:21 PM
rosie28sammy wrote:Thank you for the review Imberis. My daughter and I love the Nancy Drew games and have played them all. I was going to purchase this one as well since I thought it would be the same as Nancy Drew. Now I think I will hold off.

No problem! I figured other Nancy Drew fans would think the same thing as me and then wind up disappointed.

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Jan 19, 10 1:19 AM
I, too, bought this game hoping it would be similar to the Nancy Drew games (which I absolutely love). While it isn't a horrible game, it certainly wasn't up to the caliber of even the earliest Nancy Drew games in terms of the visual appeal of the game, the ease of use, and the quality of the puzzles. I also really disliked the third person style of game, especially when playing as two characters. Sometimes Frank and Joe would just be bumping into each other on the screen instead of walking where I wanted them to, and the animation wasn't even that great so the walking looked really silly even when they did it "right."

All that being said, I wouldn't say it was a waste of my $6.99. The story and voice acting were pretty good, and the game did take me a good amount of time to finish (I hate buying games with no replay value that take just a couple of hours to finish). While this game certainly doesn't fall into my top ten (or even twenty) large file games available on Big Fish, I think it was a reasonably entertaining game, and for hours of gameplay at just $6.99, I can't complain too much.

jsliger
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by jsliger on Jan 19, 10 12:32 PM
This game is lousy

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Jan 19, 10 9:13 PM
Thanks for the info about the game! I really hate the BUY NOW only games because if they suck your stuck!

[Post New]by jackxxx0 on Jan 20, 10 1:50 AM
Poor game.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 20, 10 5:20 AM
I finally waded my way through this game, and I can give my opinion of it. Everyone who posted "it sucks" is right.

The artwork is very good, it's sharp and clear. Navigation is also very good - I like being able to navigate using a map instead of endlessly "walking" back and forth between locations. Voice-overs and printed dialog is clear, makes sense, and there are few if any grammer errors.

That's the good stuff. Pretty short list.

I had to use the walkthrough constantly throughout the game. It doesn't have in-game help, and it is impossible to guess what the heck you are supposed to be doing next. The simple inclusion of a task list or a minor hint system would have solved most of the frustration problems that the gamers have experienced.

About half way through, my game started locking up on me. SAVE OFTEN. I got lax about that, and it always seemed to lock up when I had forgotten to save for an hour or more. My fault for not saving, their fault for the game freezing up constantly, especially since it locked up more frequently at the end of the game. In one of the scenes very late in the game it locked up after every second task I performed, so I had to save after every action. Just so you realize how much the game itself disappointed, the lock-up issue was only a minor irritation.

The developers have a very bizaar notion of American law. The boys broke law after law, the Chief of Police praised them for it, and the general assumtion was that every bit of evidence they collected, no matter how it was obtained or how tenuous the connection was to the case, was conclusive proof that the perpetrator was guilty. In my opinion, the boys should have been charged for an injury they caused to a guard and for manslaughter, at the very least, in the way their actions contributed to the death of one character. Extremely unsatisfying.

This game had the potential to be interesting and fun. It had a great basic storyline, interesting characters, a nice navigation system, and very good graphics. I'm not going to ask for my money back since I did actually play the game - but unless they get a new team to develop the next Hardy Boys game I won't be buying it.

Julie S.

Edited on 01/20/2010 at 5:22:43 AM PST

Tabbitha53
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by Tabbitha53 on Jan 20, 10 6:07 AM
rosie28sammy wrote:Thank you for the review Imberis. My daughter and I love the Nancy Drew games and have played them all. I was going to purchase this one as well since I thought it would be the same as Nancy Drew. Now I think I will hold off.

Ditto.I always check the forums now with games that have no trial run.Ive been caught out too many times,and learnt the costly way.

I wont buy it either now

Thanks for everyones feedback.

Go to: