tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

This is a must read for Windows 7 & 8 users that don't want Windows 10...

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on May 23, 16 12:48 PM
I seen this today and thought I would post this. I copied it as it may be helpful for some.

Microsoft’s putting away the carrots and breaking out the sticks in its quest to migrate 1 billion users to Windows 10 over the next couple of years.

After pushing out the free upgrade as a Recommended update to Windows 7 and 8 users earlier this year—which means that you downloaded the initial installation bits if you use the default Windows Update, like most people should—Microsoft changed its nagging pop-up prompt in an insidious way over the past week. For the past six months, the “Get Windows 10” pop-up asked permission to start an update, but lacked a “No thanks” option, so the only way to avoid it was to close the window by pressing the X in the upper-right hand corner. Now, the pop-up says “We will upgrade you at this time,” and pressing the X counts as consent. You need to click a small, easily missed link in the pop-up to cancel the upgrade, instead.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

Re:This is a must read for Windows 7 & 8 users that don't want Windows 10...

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on May 23, 16 12:49 PM
t’s a nasty bait-and-switch after months of using an incessant pop-up—which can’t be disabled without the help of registry hacks and other advanced tricks—that wore down users, encouraging them to simply X out of the irritant when it appeared each and every time they opened their computer. Worse, it’s now possible for your computer to be updated to Windows 10 without your explicit content.

Judging by the hundreds of comments on Reddit, Twitter, PCWorld, my inbox, and other places across the web in response to the situation, a lot of people are finding themselves upgrading unintentionally. And, well, a lot of them are pissed.

Fortunately, it’s easy to roll your PC back to Windows 7 or 8 after installing Windows 10

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on May 23, 16 12:50 PM
How to reverse a Windows 10 upgrade
The easiest time to say “No” is during the initial setup process. If you decline Windows 10’s end user license agreement, it’ll bring you back to your older operating system.

But what if it’s too late for that?

You’re allowed to roll back to your previous Windows version for 30 days after upgrading to Windows 10. Simply open the Start menu and head to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. If you’re eligible to downgrade, you’ll see an option that says “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1,” depending on which operating system you upgraded from. Simply click the Get started button and go along for the ride.

Once you’ve returned to your previous version of Windows, you need to tinker with it to perfect your setup once again. In particular, you may need to reinstall some programs, and don’t forget to use your Windows 7 password rather than your Windows 10 password if you created a Microsoft Account for the new operating system during the set-up process.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on May 23, 16 12:51 PM
Stop it from happening again
Once you’ve upgraded a PC to Windows 10, you’ll always be able to do so again in the future. But if you aren’t enticed by Windows 10’s best features and more subtle awesome tweaks—a feeling I completely understand after a non-consensual upgrade—you can turn to a pair of helpful tools to disable the Windows 10 upgrade prompts from returning.

GWX Control Panel was the first anti-Windows 10 pop-up tool on the block, and it works marvelously, though its complicated user interface is full of granular options and may turn off some people. Never10 by noted security researcher Steve Gibson performs the same basic task in a much simpler way. Either program does the trick.

GWX Control Panel and Never10 will also prevent your computer from being upgraded to Windows 10 if it hasn’t yet. Installing one of those is a much better option than disabling Windows Updates completely to avoid Microsoft’s pestering, as disabling patches can leave you vulnerable to new security flaws.

Now for the good news: Microsoft says it plans to phase out the GWX pop-up once it starts charging for the Windows 10 upgrade in July. Fingers crossed.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on May 23, 16 12:53 PM
Also you can block Windows 10 with a program called Never10.

GulfCoastGuppy
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,963 Posts

[Post New]by GulfCoastGuppy on May 23, 16 1:40 PM
Just an additional FYI...once my pop-up gave me an exact date for installation, there was an option to CHANGE/POSTPONE the date OR CANCEL altogether. Then follow instructions to confirm cancellation. Didn't want to interfere with my Midnight Castle progress!

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on May 23, 16 1:40 PM
You can also uninstall the GWX.exe program that runs that popup. It was installed as Windows update KB3035583. Bring up Programs and Features and click on the View Installed Updates. That will bring up all of the Windows updates you've made to your system, so it will take some scanning to find the right one. Double click on it and that uninstalls the popup program so you won't be bothered by it again.
Rose

HotLily
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by HotLily on May 23, 16 1:57 PM
A BIG thank you to tazruby2000, GulfCoastGuppy and rosiebvt for this important information. I will an especially close eye on things after reading this.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on May 23, 16 4:14 PM
rosiebvt wrote:You can also uninstall the GWX.exe program that runs that popup. It was installed as Windows update KB3035583. Bring up Programs and Features and click on the View Installed Updates. That will bring up all of the Windows updates you've made to your system, so it will take some scanning to find the right one. Double click on it and that uninstalls the popup program so you won't be bothered by it again.
Rose
New Windows Update that pushes Windows 10 is KB3150513

Phayta
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by Phayta on May 23, 16 8:25 PM
Another VERY important post full of useful information brought to us by: tazruby2000. Thank you taz, thank you VERY much.

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on May 24, 16 6:51 AM
Thanks for that additional info Taz. I've installed the second update but it has not brought anything up on my system. Maybe this is because I uninstalled the original GWX before this update occurred on 5/12/16? I will be uninstalling this update too, assuming I find it is only the Windows 10 issue.

ETA: I just did a search online and found this on a reputable site.

"What are the differences between KB2952664, KB3150513 and the naughty KB3035583?
Posted on May 7th, 2016
A very interesting synopsis from our very own ch100:

KB2952664 (and its equivalents for other OSes and versions) is the baseline pre-requisite for all the others providing the telemetry baseline. It is mostly useful for the upgrading to Windows 10, but not only as it provides telemetry capabilities in a wider sense.

KB3150513 is not offered unless the previous one is installed and adds further functionality in relation to making Windows 10 upgrade more reliable. It has specific functionality in relation to applications compatibility and this is why is offered as a different KB number.

KB3035583 is purely adware/nagware, the bad guy which is neutralised by the Group Policies configured to do that or by Josh’s GWX Control Panel, or Steve Gibson’s tool, or Noel’s procedure."

Edited on 05/24/2016 at 6:57:03 AM PST

pjmatt
Clownfish
Clownfish
523 Posts

[Post New]by pjmatt on May 24, 16 7:00 AM
windows 10 installed auto on my computer the other night. The main difference for me is having to put password in ,if computer has been idle 1 minute.I haven't figured out how to stop that. The instructions I got told me to go to WIN+R and type in something , but doesn't say where this Win is.lol I'm old got to give me better direction.BTW this has not affect my game at all.

Edited on 05/24/2016 at 7:01:51 AM PST

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on May 24, 16 7:30 AM
pjmatt wrote:windows 10 installed auto on my computer the other night. The main difference for me is having to put password in ,if computer has been idle 1 minute.I haven't figured out how to stop that. The instructions I got told me to go to WIN+R and type in something , but doesn't say where this Win is.lol I'm old got to give me better direction.BTW this has not affect my game at all.
Try this below, I found this online. I don't have Windows 10 or use it and can't answer any questions.

Step 1: Open PC settings.
Step 2: Click Users and accounts.
Step 3: Open Sign-in options and tap the Change button under Password.
Step 4: Enter the current password and click Next.
Step 5: Directly tap Next to continue.
Step 6: Choose Finish.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on May 24, 16 7:52 AM
I followed the directions below since there are a lot of Telemetry updates in Windows 7 that runs and collect data. I don't plan on upgrading to a newer OS so it is not needed.

Disable the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP)

Note:
Disabling CEIP and the related Task Scheduler tasks that control this program can improve Windows system performance.

1. Start "Control Panel" > "Action Center" > "Change Action Center settings".
2. Click "Customer Experience Improvement Program settings".
3. Select "No, I don't want to participate in the program" then click "Save changes".
4. Start > "Control Panel" > "Administrative Tools" > "Task Scheduler".
5. In the Task Scheduler (Local) pane of the Task Scheduler dialog box, expand "Task Scheduler Library" > "Microsoft" > "Windows" and open the "Application Experience" folder.
6. Disable the "AITAgent" and "ProgramDataUpdater" tasks.
7. In "Task Scheduler Library" > "Microsoft" > "Windows", open the "Customer Experience Improvement Program" folder.
8. Disable the "Consolidator", "KernelCeipTask", and "UsbCeip" tasks.

BFFirefly
Clownfish
Clownfish
540 Posts

[Post New]by BFFirefly on May 24, 16 8:02 AM
There are several ways to tackle the Win 10 login. I used Win+R because it is the fastest. I'll add step by step instructions for using the Win+R option but there is an excellent vid on YouTube that shows how to do it and I find that visually seeing something can make it easier for some.

Use Google to search for: "How To Disable Login Screen In Windows 10"
Use the quotes on each end. It narrows your search field specifically to that sentence exactly.

You should get several search options back with one from YouTube by Phan Free Tutorials called How to disable password Login in Windows 10. They are doing it exactly how I did to take care of that pesky login.

Just in case you don't find it. Here are the instructions on how to use Win+R.
-Right-click the Start button and select the Run option.
-Type in where it says Open: netplwiz
-Hit Enter on your keyboard.

This will open the User Accounts window.
-Under Users, click on the user account that you want to skip the login and password.
-Above it uncheck the box that has "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"
Click Apply

You must Restart your computer and then you should be good to go.

pjmatt
Clownfish
Clownfish
523 Posts

[Post New]by pjmatt on May 24, 16 8:03 AM
tazruby2000 wrote:
pjmatt wrote:windows 10 installed auto on my computer the other night. The main difference for me is having to put password in ,if computer has been idle 1 minute.I haven't figured out how to stop that. The instructions I got told me to go to WIN+R and type in something , but doesn't say where this Win is.lol I'm old got to give me better direction.BTW this has not affect my game at all.
Try this below, I found this online. I don't have Windows 10 or use it and can't answer any questions.

Step 1: Open PC settings.
Step 2: Click Users and accounts.
Step 3: Open Sign-in options and tap the Change button under Password.
Step 4: Enter the current password and click Next.
Step 5: Directly tap Next to continue.
Step 6: Choose Finish.

You are my hero. Thanks a Ton

Edited on 05/24/2016 at 8:04:02 AM PST

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on May 24, 16 10:58 AM
I found this interesting. It was posted May 14.

Last week Microsoft warned that free Windows 10 upgrades will soon end – but fear not! Microsoft has now posted a new update revealing a rule change which will allow some users to enjoy free upgrades forever…

“As you may have heard, the free Windows 10 upgrade offer for customers running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 is set to end on July 29, but we want to clarify that that deadline will *not* apply to customers who use assistive technologies. We are continuing to deliver on our previously-shared vision for accessibility for Windows 10 and we are committed to ensuring that users of assistive technologies have the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 for free as we do so.”

What are ‘assistive technologies’? Typically features which aid users with physical disabilities like poor eyesight or limited mobility. That said the official Microsoft Accessibility page for Windows 10 is wide ranging and lists assistive technologies that many people will use as a matter of course:

* Use Magnifier to see items on the screen
* Use text or visual alternative to sounds
* Use the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) to type
* Using Keyboard shortcuts
* Hear text read aloud with Narrator
* Make your PC easier to use with Ease of Access Settings
* Use Speech Recognition to control your PC

As such there is some confusion around exactly how liberal Microsoft will be in applying this new free upgrade rule. In this regard Hubbell only offers the following: “Stay tuned for more details on how you can take advantage of the free offer.”

I have been in touch with Microsoft’s press team to push for more information but met a similar response with a spokesperson stating: “We will provide more details on how customers can take advantage of this deadline exception in the coming weeks.”

So could there be a potential loophole here for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users who want to hold off upgrading? Perhaps, but right now it’s a tease.

Furthermore I’d suggest you draw two simpler conclusions:

Firstly, it’s actually nice of Microsoft to make Windows 10 free forever for those requiring assistive technologies. Secondly, I’d suggest a simpler route to getting Windows 10 free: upgrade now then rollback. Upgrading registers Windows 10 to your PC so you can then return to it at any time without being charged.

That said with just 10 weeks to go until the Windows 10 free upgrade deadline a lot still remains unknown. Interesting times are ahead…

gadget88
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by gadget88 on May 24, 16 2:13 PM
Windows 10 is fully integrated with NSA, for tracking purposes, just so you know Microsoft is working with our National security networks to , well..track everything you do. Microsoft announced this a couple of years ago, eventually the other platforms will be put to bed.
You can read more by putting in Windows 10 and NSA.

susanlnels
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by susanlnels on May 24, 16 5:19 PM
Thank you for all this great info!! I have the hugest resentment towards Windows bullying tactics . I disabled automatic updates months ago when the bullying started because I knew it would disrupt my MC and ART games. It feels very invasive to have them harass the crap out of us to "offer" this upgrade . I am not surprised at all with the NSA connection and I'm going to install the Never10. I check for updates often and continue to uncheck the KB3035583 box so it never got installed .

Happy gaming everybody, can hardly wait for an update!

Sue (Suenamie)

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on May 27, 16 9:04 AM
Hi Everyone,

The Forum Moderation Team completely understands wanting to share information with other players in the forums. However, please keep in mind that we do request that the Forum Rules be followed whenever posting. Specifically:

Make sure your posts are constructive and add to the conversation on the forums. Posting just to "level up" or "bump" discussions is considered SPAM. Posts that are not game related will be removed.

We ask that users please make sure to keep all discussions and posts in the forums specific to that particular game itself. This is so we can help to keep the forums tidy and organized so that they stay accessible for everyone who is interested in participating in them.

I also want to address the posts here regarding the Windows 10 update. We do not recommend trying to manually roll back or disable features in an operating system update, or trying any steps that you're not comfortable doing on your own. Due to the variety of hardware and software configurations that are available for computers, steps like these may have very different effects on a particular machine, and could potentially cause technical issues or glitches. Instead, if you are concerned about the content of an update, we recommend getting in touch with the manufacturer or company. They should be able to give more information on the update and provide assistance if there are any issues or concerns.

As this thread is not related to Midnight Castle, I'm going to lock it. Thank you for your understanding.

bfgPanthalassa

Edited on 05/27/2016 at 9:18:16 AM PST

Go to: