Review

Review

[Post New]by skye514 on Jan 18, 10 1:59 AM
This is very beautiful game. I love the art and music. You need to do matches with runes and collect enough magic points this way. This magic can be used to cast spells (very cool). There are two mini games - one where you learn and earn new spells for next levels and mini puzzles where you discover new locations. I recommend at least to try it

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Re:Review

[Post New]by cche on Jan 18, 10 2:23 AM
It is a very nice puzzle game, but not at the pace the timer requires, at least not for this dexterity challenged player. Were the Authors to have included a speed control, perhaps with scoring modifier, this would be among my favorites. As it is, I am not fast enough to complete even level 10 reliably.

Hmmm $6.99 times 10%... yeah. Worth maybe 70 cents to me. :-)

[Post New]by Roman_ANAWIKI on Jan 18, 10 3:04 AM
70 cents would be a bargain... though it is todays Daily Deal for just $2.99.

[Post New]by justyna_bb on Jan 18, 10 4:50 AM
Very lovely game. It makes you think before making the moves on some levels, but I like that. I liked the mini games too, puzzle one is great. I think I'll buy it today.

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by ToonaCat on Jan 18, 10 8:09 AM
I liked the game, but this is the first bf game that I couldn't play full screen without my video card sending "out of range" messages. I adjusted my settings, did all I could to lower the quality, and still had to play windowed. (and I need the full screen to see well) Otherwise, it would have been a sure "buy" for me as DD.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jan 18, 10 10:38 AM
Now this is a definite $2.99 buy. Just tried the demo. I think this was made by the same people who made "Fairies". (Just a guess due to the voices, graphics, etc.) Very beautiful! Runs smoothly on my pc. Clear and colorful. The gameplay is NOT your usual match 3 (which the game description on BF kind of makes it seem like). It's unusual gameplay and I"m still figuring it out (the instructions could be a lot better, but I don't mind figuring it out as I go..many small "ah-ha!" moments).

Lots of levels (100 I think I says) and since I haven't hit the notorious level 25 I'm not frustrated yet.

Yes there's a timer, and I have run out of time a few times, but mostly due to still not really knowing what I"m doing or supposed to do in a given level. As I'm learning, I can beat the levels within the alloted time. This does not deter me; in fact makes it more challenging and fun. We shall see if I still feel this way further along though.

If you want to try something different, something that fires up the brain cells a bit more than the usual drool- and zombie-state inducing HOGs, try this. It's a nice game, especially for $3.00.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it's useful.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jan 18, 10 11:15 AM
Krissywillow, nice review. I just tried the game and I agree with all that you said. I'm still having some clueless moments but as I play the game mechanics are becoming more understandable. Beautiful game, and it's worth it to me, even if I never get past level 25.

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on Jan 18, 10 11:30 AM
Very nice rewievs. And I'm sure you'll get pass level 25. You can do it without a trick, but with a trick it's very easy. Some level seem to be designed the way that you can pass them regularly, but those that find a trick are highly rewarded. Look up another post on this forum for the trick to bit level 25. Don't forget, runes removed by spells counts towards your goal (fill up vials).

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jan 18, 10 1:26 PM
Yup, once I played for a while longer and got the hang of what I was doing (lol) I was able to beat level 25 pretty easily. It took a few tries, BUT the thing is, I knew HOW....so I knew I could get it sooner rather than later, and I did.

Maybe the reason the other folks got so frustrated with level 25 is because, at least in my experience with the game, it was the first level that actually took a few tries. Up til that point the levels are quite easy and don't require more than one try. Suddenly wham here is this level that requires a bit more finesse. Well, I think it was fun and upped the ante. If all the levels were as easy as the ones before, it would get tedious.

So if anyone is turned off buying this game due to those threads, disregard!

I actually found a level or two after 25 a bit more challenging than 25 was, but I beat those, as well.

I have'nt been able to stop playing this since I played the demo earlier today.

There are lovely swap-the-pieces puzzles (easy) between "realms". A nice break.

There's also a "quick play" mode which I only did once and I'm still figuring out, but I think it's sort of like puzzle mode in Collapse..where you have to figure out how to get the goal in the smallest number of moves (or use of blocks)..something like that. Anyway it's another mode to play around with, which is another plus to the game.

I should mention I do not play games with the music on 99% of the time (I find it annoying) so I can't comment on the music in this game other than to say the little while I did play with it on, it was nice.

For anyone on the fence about buying this at the DD price, after buying and playing longer, I stronger urge you to give it a try. IMO, a much better presentation in every way than a big percentage of the crappy cookie-cutter HOGs that are churning out almost daily these days. (I do love HOGs, but only really good quality ones, thanks).

Hope this is helpful.

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Jan 18, 10 3:51 PM
Runes of Avalon is a M3 puzzle game - you need to place pieces on the board to match 3 or more of the pieces at a time. There are different powerup pieces placed on the board when the player matches more than three pieces and other powerups that are always available after clearing a certain number of pieces.

The Good:
Very nice graphics and music
Interesting variation on M3 gameplay
Fairly challenging puzzles

The Bad:
Custom cursor
No untimed mode
Some players might find the puzzles to be too challenging

The Indifferent:
Much of the story has been removed from the second game.

Who will like this:
Folks who like a puzzle game when they need to use their brain

Karolyneb's Note:
Since I am a bit sleepy today, I have had to replay a few of the earlier levels. Most of them are not too difficult but some of them do require paying attention to the next piece and/or using a spell or two,

[Post New]by Roman_ANAWIKI on Jan 19, 10 4:14 AM
Thanks for reviews. For those that want to master the game please google for "Tips and Tricks: Runes of Avalon 2" (I can't post links here). You should find tips and tricks on [removed by moderator] or our site.

Edited on 08/27/2010 at 4:39:09 PM PST

Marg2
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Marg2 on Jan 24, 10 1:28 PM
This game is beautifully made. As far as graphics and sound, it is superb.

Gameplay is another story. I did not enjoy this game. I like a good match 3 game. I like a good puzzle game. This game has all the potential to be both, but it does not live up to either.

The major culprit is the short timer which seems to be inconsistent. In some later levels, the color fill level decreases when using the time power-up. As to level 25, as someone else has pointed out, just blast your way through. Meaning fill it up as fast as you can - don't even pay attention to any matches, and when it's full, blast away. Repeat. This worked for me when matching colors left me way short. Unfortunately, there are quite a few levels in which this seems to be the best strategy. No skill or brains needed. Which makes for no fun and no satisfaction when done.

The levels I found challenging are the ones with several big blocks. The short timer rather spoiled the fun. All in all, very disappointing.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 20, 10 7:49 AM
I've demo-ed and passed on Runes of Avalon games a number of times. But as a Daily Deal, I decided to buy it. I don't really enjoy the woman's voice in the game. And I can't decide if the gameplay is actually fun. Some games do grow on you, though, once you own them and play them more...

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Apr 20, 10 11:46 AM
I didn't give it much of a chance. I don't like dark games. Don't like timers. Wasn't too sure how to play. Just not my day!

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Apr 20, 10 5:19 PM
I liked this game, but then again I like match 3 games. I bought Cradle of Rome like my first or second purchase 2 or 3 yrs ago and play it alot even now. I typically only buy my one "credit" per month unless a good DD comes up. I think this is a great game for $3.00 and know I will get YEARS of play out of it. Thumbs Up from this fish!

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Apr 20, 10 5:44 PM
I tried this game as I live down the road from Avalon (I am not joking) and actually quite enjoyed it.

As I started the game I was very unsure and nearly decided to quit but I am glad that I carried on.

I agree that the timer is a bit quick, but they do give you plenty of bonuses so I guess the real trick to the game is to use them special bonuses they give you.

The womans voice did not bother me at all and I did not find the game graphically too dark and I have my contrast and brightness down quite low on the monitor.

Enjoyable game and definitely one I would consider.

julie2753
Clownfish
Clownfish
542 Posts

[Post New]by julie2753 on Apr 20, 10 5:48 PM
A lovely game with a nice price tag to, i to am a bit slow for the timer but hopefully i will get faster(theres always hope) Is a really lovely game to play and i like the ladys voice.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Apr 21, 10 9:36 AM
karolyneb wrote:Runes of Avalon is a M3 puzzle game - you need to place pieces on the board to match 3 or more of the pieces at a time. There are different powerup pieces placed on the board when the player matches more than three pieces and other powerups that are always available after clearing a certain number of pieces.
Oooh is THAT what it meant by getting spells if 4 or more matched lol! I thought it was saying that's how you get a new vial to fill (which clearly wasn't happening).

My views on the game: I am basically a massive TM fan but since joining BFG I have been experimenting a bit & downloaded this demo because could see from the video that it wasn't a standard M3. After the first few levels I still hadn't figured out some things and felt that I was successfully competing levels without understanding how/why and thought of giving up! BUT I am very glad I persevered because once I eventually figured out what I was supposed to be aiming for I started to really enjoy it. It was when I finally got to a level where it took me a couple of goes that the penny finally dropped about how to decide which runes are a priority to clear lol!.

I too like the fact that it is not just 'match any old tiles to get points or clear squares'. I also like that you can put the blocks of runes anywhere you have space not like so many games where replacement blocks just fall down into specific columns.

So I'm about it buy it since it was yesterdays's DD - just came on here to check a few reviews first. Summary:- a keeper - especially at $2.99!

(btw this comes from someone who doesn't like basic M3 but has started paying attention to any unusual M3s ever since playing the Cradle of Rome demo where it matters which squares you match because you need to gather resources).

ETA Oh & I happened to play the demo with the sound off so didn't notice the lady's voice but I hated the voice in Fairies so from the comments here I guess I would hate this one too but will listen when I play again and then edit this comment!)

Edited on 04/21/2010 at 5:13:04 PM PST

[Post New]by kev2lev on Jul 3, 10 12:34 AM
This game is very good. Beautiful graphics and sounds and unusual game play. There are, however, some niggles that I find really annoying. The scoring seems really screwed in places...

You get bonus points on the '4' (rune match) levels but these are then not reflected on the next level? Also, the bonus points awarded on these is shown as 10x what you actually get (eg. 60,000 where you actually only get 6,000 - which seems more reasonable given the score you actually get on each other level). Maybe they get added at the end of the game - I don't know.

The bonus points on the '0' (swap puzzle) levels seem to be fixed to the number of pieces, rather than time taken or swaps made and seem far too low compared to the scores you get on the other levels (typically a few hundred).

When the game ends, I'd also kind of like to know what I scored, but when the game over panel appears there is no indication and the score panel in the bottom left goes to zero. The only way I can check is if I got enough to get a high score.

I have played this game a lot, inspite of these niggles, and have managed to get from level 1 to 59 without dropping (my only) life. High score 1.2 million. For those of you that are having trouble with certain levels, I post some advice below...

Level 25 - use 'double fire' a lot. As soon as you have enough runes to activate it, lay runes as quick as possible in a double cross pattern. Don't worry about making matches (in fact I would deliberately avoid it if possible), but do make sure you have a central rune to target the fire on. Target bottom right corner first to trigger the spells you got from level 24, then concentrate on the top right to maximize the double fire effect. Think too much on this level and you LOSE. Only concentrate on matches near the end, when you just need a few runes. My success rate on this level is around 90%.

Level 32 - no body has mentioned this one, which surprises me. This LOOKS easy but has a sneaky trick. You will find that you seem to be doing well... you only need one more colour to win.... BUT it's only half full and you have 25% time left. Where are those white suckers? Yep, that's the sneaky bit, the odds of white runes appearing are around half of any other colour. So you need to be quick and cunning on this one too (be easy if you had spread, but you don't). Again, use double fire, but, in particular, lay the white runes such that you hit them. My success rate on this level is around 80%.

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Jul 3, 10 2:52 AM
I love this game and since it is not brand new I was glad to see some one else enjoying it, too.

I never pay any attention to the scoring, but you explained it very well.

I see that this is your first post. This is such a good review that you ought to send a copy of it to Aunt Imby's review thread.

If you just like to play and review games there is also a thread called the "bored challenge" where we play new to us game demos and then review them. The reviews go to Aunt Imby, too.

You would be more than welcome to drop into either of these threads anytime or better yet, join in the fun.

Welcome to the pond.

Go to: