Getting a "file too short" error when I try to play Plants vs. Zombies - anybody know how to fix?

[Post New]by browncow_pvz on Jan 18, 10 7:11 PM
I get an error when I try to play Plants vs. Zombies. The error says "error reading user file" and "file too short". Anybody know how to fix this error?

tjanetv
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,389 Posts

Re:Getting a "file too short" error when I try to play Plants vs. Zombies - anybody know how to fi

[Post New]by tjanetv on Jan 19, 10 8:33 AM
I'm afraid that you are going to have to contact customer support. They are the green envelope on the right side of the screen. They worked thru the weekend to try to get caught up, but it still might take a while, but they help you fix it, or make it right. Sorry I can't be of more help. If you are a member, you can contact live chat and they will be able to help you sooner. Good luck on the fix, it is a great game. And WELCOME TO THE POND.

Re:Getting a "file too short" error when I try to play Plants vs. Zombies - anybody know how to fi

[Post New]by dougsshed on Jan 19, 10 10:09 PM
Hi, I'm getting the same message. Has anybody found a solution yet? I went to customer support and could only find a series of pre existing issues, none of which seemed to apply to this problem.

[Post New]by veronique875 on Jan 20, 10 9:11 AM
after you go to customer support and look and see that no answer applies to you, ask them your question DIRECTLY.

[Post New]by Campbellclan6 on Aug 17, 10 3:13 PM
We're getting the same error message... removed the program and re-installed on a different drive and still getting the same message. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

bfgArnoStyx
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Aug 17, 10 5:05 PM
Hey Campbellclan6

This particular error message indicates that there might be an issue with your save file. To get this resolved, please delete the save file for this game by following these steps:

1. Go to My Computer
2. Local Disk C
3. Program Data
4. Big Fish Games folder
4. Find Plants vs. Zombies folder
5. Find userdata folder and delete

(C:\ProgramData\Big Fish Games\PlantsVsZombies\userdata)

Now if you reopen the game, that should do it! If you run into anything else, please contact Tech Support by clicking on the green envelope to the right of the screen, and then clicking "Contact Us" (bottom left) of the next page to reach the online web form. To submit the web form, first click "Check for Answers" to visit the Help pages, and if you still can't find an answer, you will then be able to click the "Submit" button to send your ticket to our reps.

If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can connect to Live Chat for real-time support through your "My Game Club" page. Chat hours are Monday through Friday 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM PST.

Hope this helps!

-bfgArnoStyx

[Post New]by wilbaer on Oct 9, 10 3:41 AM
If I try to delete the "user data" as was posted as a fix, will it mean that I lose all my levels and colected items? I am on about level 93 and do not want to have to start again.
Thanks

[Post New]by HappyPlayerTwo on Nov 3, 10 5:55 PM
I am too! Any news on how to fix this? I have unistalled and reinstalled everything!

[Post New]by shannon3d on Feb 7, 11 8:19 AM
I just did the fix and lost all my progress as feared. Does anyone have a fix that doesn't delete the user data completely?

Re:Getting a "file too short" error when I try to play Plants vs. Zombies - anybody know how to

[Post New]by daffodil105 on Mar 12, 11 8:14 AM
No. I am having the same issue. I have tried all of the fixes. I even uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing has worked for me. Guess I will have to wait until Monday to Chat with tech support to see if they have a fix or update for this. I have Windows 7 64 bit. Is this the same version of Windows that everyone else has. It worked fine until the Windows updates installed yesterday. I even uninstalled those thinking that was the problem nothing works.

Edited on 03/12/2011 at 8:18:06 AM PST

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
4,776 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 12, 11 12:59 PM
eBob offered this solution in another thread:
eBob wrote:yay! I fixed it!

The advise from POPCap was to delete all the data files - but this would mean starting over again! but it did give me an idea.

I discovered that only the file 'users.dat' was corrupt.

There is a data directory where you'll find this file and other .dat files.

To fix the game and restore your saved games, do this:

1. Move all the .dat files to a backup directory.
2. Start the game. This generates new data files like when you first played the game.
3. enter the same user names you had before - preferably in the same order.
4. Exit the game and copy all the .dat files (with the exception of users.dat) back into the data directory. (leave a copy in the backup directory just for safety).
5. Start the game again - and you should have all your saved games back just as it was.

eBob.

adelia6
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by adelia6 on Mar 21, 11 11:59 PM
This happens to me to.

[Post New]by skillo on Apr 3, 11 4:05 PM
Had same problem too.. just went through eBobs steps and worked like a dream. Thanks for post.

[Post New]by RoxyDee49 on Apr 5, 11 9:48 AM
Hi eBob,

I searched and found all my dat files. That's done. Now I don't know how to move them to a backup directory. ( I know, I'm a dummy when it comes to this). Would you help me a little more in how to do this, please? I need specifics, I guess. And where do I find the user.dat file? I did see Plants and Z's in the dat files. Help, please?

Thank you kindly,
RoxyDee49

bfgArnoStyx
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Apr 5, 11 10:10 AM
Hey RoxyDee49,

I would definitely recommend getting in touch with Tech Support (you can click on this link) so that our reps can help walk you through those steps. Hope this helps!

-bfgArnoStyx

[Post New]by yirmeyahu on Oct 14, 11 9:22 AM
Hey Bob,
I tried your suggestion and it didn't work for me.
I tried many permutations, I noticed there is a users.dat and a user1.dat (or users1.dat). I tried with and without that one. Blew the directory away about 7 times trying varying combinations and basically all my levels are gone.
If I restore the user1.dat file, however, that's when I get the "user file too short" error again.
Could they have modified the software with a recent rev to not allow this sort of thing (as it would be an excellent way to cheat and jump levels if someone wanted to... but really who cares is someone cheated).

I'd also be equally happy if someone knows a cheat. I had beaten all of the levels and unlocked all of the challenges. I was just playing the "unlimited challenge" or whatever it's called where wave after wave comes unending and the price increases constantly for good plants. I'd really rather not redo all the levels again (yawn).
Thanks in advance for any help.

[Post New]by sjcham on Nov 11, 11 4:55 PM
I too found that it was not my usersdata file that was corrupt so bob's suggestion didn't work, but one of the user#.dat files was 0 bytes so I assume it was the one that was messed up. Luckily it was my mom's data file: user2.dat. Since I was the first person to save a game my dat file was user1.dat. I restarted the game and put my name in and then exited and a new data folder was created with a new user1.dat. I replaced it with my old user1.dat and my save data was back. So if there is more than one user on your system and bob's suggestion doesn't work, you may be able to bring back some of the users.

[Post New]by melonpult on Nov 11, 11 6:33 PM
Bob's solution worked for user2 and user3, but we are still getting the "File too short" error message when user1 tries to sign in. The user1.dat file does show as 0 KB. Is there a way to restore it without losing all of the progress? User1 is the primary user and has by far the most progress; he really doesn't want to have to start over.

[Post New]by tommoylan on Dec 14, 11 6:09 AM
Has anybody out why this problem happens? In my case, I was just about out of memory in my C drive before it happenned. I wonder if that had something to do with it?

Re:Getting a "file too short" error when I try to play Plants vs. Zombies - anybody know how to f

[Post New]by rose881 on Dec 14, 11 7:25 PM
Go to this directory:

C:\ProgramData\PopCap Games\PlantsVsZombies\

Right click on userdata select properties.
Then click on the previous version tab.
Select an earlier date then restore.

Start the game it worked for me good luck.

Go to: