Comments and reviews?

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

Comments and reviews?

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 23, 10 12:28 AM
Are there any out there that have finishd the game and can review it so we can no what to expect. I haven't even downloaded it yet and I always see reviews written on Demo play, but a lot can change between the demo and the end.
Tell me what others might think of this game. Thanks

auntann11
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,001 Posts

Re:Comments and reviews?

[Post New]by auntann11 on Jan 23, 10 6:30 AM
Haven't played it, but if this helps, back on November 21,2009 you gave it a thumbs down.

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Jan 23, 10 6:31 AM
I looked up the reviews on another site and it was pretty negative.

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Jan 23, 10 7:21 AM
Have only done about 45 min of demo (30 in 2008 & 15 just now). Way too dark (ie, brightness) for me. I changed my video card settings to bright 100% (as high as it will go and normally 50), put gamma up to 200 (normally 149), and it's still dark. I changed to Windowed mode and it resizes all open windows so every time I quit, I have to resize all my open windows which is a real pain. Penalties for wrong clicks and too many puzzles also made me give it an "F".

EDIT: Not even worth $2.99 to me.

Edited on 01/23/2010 at 7:31:59 AM PST

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Jan 23, 10 7:04 PM
When I first demoed the game when it originally came out, I didn't like it because I didn't understand how to do the puzzles. But I always wondered what happened in the story. This time, I bought it and I'm able to do most of the puzzles because my gaming skills are more advanced. So I'm enjoying it a lot. The levels themselves are easy, but there are different types of games in between the levels. I've been able to do most of them, but am still stumped by a couple.

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Jan 23, 10 10:00 PM
Hidden Secrets Review

Hidden Secrets is much more of a puzzle game than a HOG but there are elements of both within the game. The gameplay is similar to a nightmarish combination of Azada 1 and 2 - each level has both IHOG problem solving and straight puzzle sections.

The good:
Varied puzzles - some fairly easy, others pretty difficult
Most dialog is skippable
Interesting story
IHOG objects are both realistic and make sense within the story (ie no eyes on the ceiling or mosquitoes as large as a telephone)

The bad:
No untimed mode
Scenes are somewhat dark (not unplayably so for me but your monitor and video card may vary)
No way to click through the unskippable dialog boxes

Who will like this:
Experienced puzzle gamers
Folks who liked both Azada games

Who will hate this:
Folks who disliked *either* Azada 1 or Azada

Karolyneb's soapbox:
Going to do something a little different with this one - next game review will be back to being as objective as possible

I would really like to encourage fans of both Azada games to try this one. The bad reviews almost kept me away today (really short on time today) but I am really glad I finally got around to checking it out - just wish I had more time today to play more of it!

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Jan 24, 10 12:03 AM
I just finished this game and I loved it! I couldn't stop playing since I downloaded it this afternoon. The HOG part is short and very easy, but the puzzles in between levels were great. I had to skip three of them, one because I couldn't figure it out and the other two because I was running out of time and didn't want to do the chapter again, but now I can play them as mini games on their own. Well worth the $2.99!

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Jan 24, 10 10:17 AM

Bought this game for $2.99 without playing the demo because I love HOGs. Big mistake! It is much more of a puzzle/adventure game than HOG, The scenes are so dark that even with brightness turned all the way up on a fairly large screen monitor, they are hard to see. And the objects are small, often unclear what they are, so it is strictly a guessing game to figure out what to do with them--not too hard, however as everything is marked with sparkles. Penalty clicks for scenes like this is not a good idea either.

This game is more like an outline of what could have been a good HOG than a real HOG. The storyline is interesting. The games are interesting, but too many; although it may not be if there were more actual hidden object scenes there.

And make the timer optional. IMHO, timers should be optional in almost every game--I play games to relax, not beat the timer. I often have to leave a game quickly for a minute or two. Also, leaving my cursor in place is helpful, but can't do that if I have to pause a game.

Altogether, a $2.99 loss.

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Jan 24, 10 11:21 AM
Very unforgiving game, must use timer and you don't get a lot of time, and IIRC the punishment for random clicks is severe too (loss of lots of time).

I remember playing with my heart beating madly trying to beat that timer. I no longer buy games unless they have at least an untimed option.

PB592
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by PB592 on Jan 27, 10 6:07 PM
Well, like most everyone else who has posted here, the timer is a huge issue for me. I hate timers. And loosing time because I can't tell what an object is and "mis-click" is very frustating. I am at the last level, at least I think it's the last level, and I probably will have to start over. You are limited on the number of mini-game skips you can do and I don't have any left. I just can't get through the 3 puzzles and solve the scene in 4 minutes! I am disappointed with the picture quality. I could have lived with that if there were pop-ups to tell me that the glob I'm looking at is a battery or whatever. I have enjoyed the game and the puzzles, but the timer and penalties have spoiled it. OK game if you don't mind timers, (and don't have old eyes, like me!)

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 27, 10 9:13 PM
auntann11 wrote:Haven't played it, but if this helps, back on November 21,2009 you gave it a thumbs down.

Thanks so much, I have this memory thing in my old age. You are very funny. Made me laugh anyway. I remember, too many dark scenes. I really like puzzles and if I could have seen anything, I might have liked it.Couldn't see half of them. Thanks again.

Edited on 01/27/2010 at 9:18:15 PM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jan 30, 10 4:27 AM
This looks like another IHOG challenge. I do love these reviews threads. I've bought and enjoyed several games because of them.

It looks like I got about 1/2 way through in my free trial. Sanitarium (1990s DOS game) anyone?

Well, I finished it. Yet another game where English grammar wasn't included in the beta test. Who's for whose / polaroid's for plural / comma missing between spoken and addressed ... and you can't turn the text off either.

Azada meets Sanatarium? I'm not greatly impressed. To me this has no replay value. I can't see myself replaying the mini-games and I know whodunnit.

It's a pity I missed this as a DD. I can't say that I'd recommend it at full price. YMMV.

Edited on 01/30/2010 at 10:35:17 AM PST

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Jan 30, 10 8:05 AM
Hi folks,

I'm going to sticky this thread so that those wanting more info on this game will be able to find this thread.

Remember, it's always good to tag review posts with spoiler at the top if your review contains any specifics about a game's storyline.

Have fun, folks!

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Feb 1, 10 3:42 AM
Just finished the game; I had to skip one puzzle because as drawn, it is insoluble. Solution shown in walkthrough at gamezebo does not follow rules given for puzzle. See discussion "roads" in this forum for details.

Other than that egregious error, the game is well done.

Took me about 3 hours to complete.

Graphics are fair. interactive H O screens are a little dark and often I could not tell what the object I had found was supposed to be. There are only a few objects to be found and used or combined to solve the interaction. Not difficult in itself, but I did spend more time than I like "scanning" with the mouse to locate a sparkle. Owners of slower systems will suffer as the sparkles take a moment to appear, so would need to go rather slowly, I think.

The time constraint for each chapter is shorter than the last. At the end I had just 6 seconds left when I completed the last puzzle. If you run out of time, you must start the chapter over. I had to do this in the last two chapters. Hints are costly.

Music is just ok. The authors made an effort to inject excitement with it, but you've heard it all before.

Story is better than average, though if you have read or watched a mystery, you will know all by about chapter 3. Voice acting is weak, but functional.

The puzzles are the meat of the game. There is a pretty wide variety of puzzle types, and most are going to be easy for experienced puzzle solvers. None are tedious. Beginners may find them quite challenging, especially with the time constraints.

Over all, I appreciated where the authors put their effort. Production values are good enough, but not good. I definitely got my $2.99 worth. Would not have wanted to pay $6.99. 3.0 on my scale of 10

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Feb 20, 10 1:47 AM
Folks, this game is back as the DD today. Although I usually give fairly objective reviews, this game is one I feel pretty strongly about.

If you liked both Azada games, do give this one a try. Even if you loved one of the Azada games and thought the other one was pretty okay, still give it a try.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Feb 20, 10 3:05 AM
For me the HOG scenes were not fun but I really enjoyed the puzzles. I'm on the fence -- if it had an untimed option I would definitely grab it. I have demoed the first Azada (thanks karolyneb) and I see the connection but I liked Azada more.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Feb 20, 10 1:05 PM
I had used up the demo previously (must have been when this was DD before) so I thought I must have liked it at least some. So I bought it for $3 today and played for a while.

As others have said, most of the screens are really dark and it's hard to see. But this is NOT a real HOG game, so you aren't straining to see the dark scenes for very long. You only have to find a few interactive things in each scene, and as someone else said, the area sparkles. So even though I couldn't see too well, it wasn't very hard to find things. Once you get the few things, a few puzzles open up (the puzzles are not dark).

I found the puzzles just right in terms of difficulty and enjoyment. I'm about halfway through the game so that could change, but so far, I finish them with plenty of time to spare (the timer gives over 20 min per puzzle, and so far that's been way more than enough. That could, of course, change if they get more advanced).

You generally have to do a few rounds of each puzzle, with each round a tad harder than previous. So far I haven't skipped any puzzles (but I was tempted on the red & blue peg thing!). I can feel my brain cells working when I'm doing the puzzles, and the variety is nice.

For $3 it's definitely worth it. There are 20 "levels", I haven't timed myself playing so far but it's been maybe 1 1/2 hours and I'm almost half way through. So it's not a very long game, but of course the time you spend will vary depending on how long it takes you to do the puzzles.

I think this game does have some replay value based on the puzzles. The interactive part is sparse to begin with so it won't be much of a challenge in later plays. However, if you waited a few months or something (like I did between last doing the demo and now) and start over, you will probably forget everything (like I did!) and it has replay value.

Sorry this is so long, lol... THis game isn't all that great, I would not buy it for the regular price, but like I said for $3 it's worth some brain exercise and entertainment.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Feb 20, 10 6:33 PM
Thank you reviewers - fellow fishies - for the Azada connection. I loved both Azadas, and thus bought this for $2.99. I agree with the dark screen and difficulty finding objects, but am thoroughly enjoying this game. It's fun!

sassybee
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by sassybee on Feb 28, 10 5:42 AM
Worst and most boring game I've ever played. Got scene 2 and just quit. Can't believe GOGII made this game. Someone was desperate when they released this peice of junk.

It's dark, dreary, no action, uninteresting, story line sucks, graphics are non-existent, mini games are mostly stupid, sheesh... I could go on and on. This is a ripoff game. Save your money. It's not even worth ten cents.

goren
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by goren on Mar 23, 10 10:41 AM
I found that the images were much to small and I have no idea what some of the hidden objects are. I have no problem with the games and the idea of the story but if you don't know what you are looking for who cares about the rest of it. Not worth the money!

Go to: