karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

Cate West: The Vanishing Files Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by karolyneb on Jan 24, 10 12:54 AM
CW: TVF Review

Cate West is a pretty stock mystery HOG. Every level also has a spot the difference puzzle and logic puzzle (choosing the suspect using provided evidence) as well as HOG locations.

The good:
Dialog is click-to-advance skippable
Most HOG backgrounds appear to be actual photos of real places (mostly abandoned buildings)
Objects tend to be clear - not really dark

The indifferent:
Voice work appears to be in short, single word segments with a few exceptions - a last minute story change once the dialog had been already recorded, perhaps?

The bad:
Story isn't very compelling
Several of the Choose the Suspect correct answers didn't seem to match the evidence

Who will like this:
Fans of straight HOGs

Who will hate this:
Fans of IHOGs
Folks who prefer a compelling story

Karolyneb's notes:
I would love to know where some of those pictures were taken. They really added character to the usually bland HOG backgrounds.

Edited on 01/26/2010 at 5:10:33 PM PST

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

Re:Cate West: The Vanishing Files Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Jan 24, 10 7:15 AM
very straight hog game. Alots to look for. very repetitive and boring after awhile. But you will get enough from your money, even at 2.99

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Jan 24, 10 10:53 AM
I actually got it for free at another site a while ago and even free it's not that great a game in my opinion.

I think Cate West: The Velvet Keys is a better game but if you're looking for something basic, at $2.99 you can't really beat it.

auntann11
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,001 Posts

[Post New]by auntann11 on Jan 24, 10 12:26 PM
Two years ago I had a computer that had died, but I was to cheap to bury it. This was one of the few games that would operate on it. It was an OK game, and very good at the price of $0, but I would not buy it today. Even though I had very little choice back then I found the "evidence analysis" to be very slow and sat there tapping my foot, tapping and tapping. The other aspects of the game were ok but nothing to write home about. If you are desperate for something new then at least the price is decent.

loonylimey
Clownfish
Clownfish
522 Posts

[Post New]by loonylimey on Jan 25, 10 8:54 AM
I think this is a nice game on a day when I don't feel like being challenged. I am annoyed that the suspects do not (in my opinion) match the evidence, it seems to be a crap shoot. I wish it had some point and click. Certainly a bargain at 2.99.

thecatspjs
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by thecatspjs on Jan 26, 10 10:18 AM
At 15 chapters, this game was way too long. That isn't my usual complaint, but this one was so repetitive and boring that I just wanted to get it finished. I bought it some time ago, but now wouldn't even pay $2.99 for it. Dreary looking scenes, over and over and over...

dorotha
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by dorotha on Jan 26, 10 1:59 PM
It's a little slow sometimes, but not too bad. I keep losing my mouse when I quit. Wonder why? Any answers?

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Jan 26, 10 3:50 PM
Hi folks,

I went ahead and stickied this thread so that it'll be easy to find for those looking for more info on this game.

Just as a tip, a good thing to keep spoilers in mind - if you're posting something that might possibly spoil part of the storyline or the solution to a puzzle, it's always a good idea to put a big ol' spoiler tag at the top to warn other users.

Also, thanks to karolyneb for getting this thread started!

Thanks!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

Edited on 01/26/2010 at 3:51:31 PM PST

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jan 27, 10 6:52 PM
I'm surprised at some of the negative comments I have seen in this thread. I did about 40 minutes of the demo and bought the game. I enjoyed the hidden object areas, and even though I'm not a huge fan of the spot-the-differences mini-games, this title scored high on my list.

I love the concept of different endings based on how highly you score - I'd like to see more games implement something like this, since it gives you a real incentive to get that high score. It also adds interest to the game.

Thumbs up from me

[Post New]by Cuddlefish on Jan 27, 10 8:58 PM
I bought it too. And yes it has a few faults but it is true value for money and kept me interested for the large number of hours it took to finish it.

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Mar 20, 10 2:23 PM
Cuddlefish wrote:I bought it too. And yes it has a few faults but it is true value for money and kept me interested for the large number of hours it took to finish it.

Happy to know this game will last a good while. I just bought it this morning and stopped after completing chapter 4. Although the game play seems the same for each chapter, it has a compelling story. And I'm really liking the fact that I don't have to keep a Walkthrough handy. Finding the difference is not my favorite, but on the reverse, putting items back - that's a hoot and sometimes even more challenging.. I found it sometimes helped to actually put the item on the cursor as I searched each scene to find its location in one or the other

My best to all. I find a lot of help here in the pond.

AnnieO.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Mar 26, 10 11:31 AM
If you like HOGs, then this is a totally great 2.99 game. My only advice is that this game is most enjoyable if you just play one or two chapters at a time and stretch it out over several days. Otherwise, it can feel too repetitive.

maxminpin
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by maxminpin on Apr 11, 10 11:11 AM
karolyneb wrote:CW: TVF Review

Cate West is a pretty stock mystery HOG. Every level also has a spot the difference puzzle and logic puzzle (choosing the suspect using provided evidence) as well as HOG locations.

The good:
Most HOG backgrounds appear to be actual photos of real places (mostly abandoned buildings)

The indifferent:
Voice work appears to be in short, single word segments with a few exceptions - a last minute story change once the dialog had been already recorded, perhaps?

The bad:
Several of the Choose the Suspect correct answers didn't seem to match the evidence

Who will like this:
Fans of straight HOGs

Who will hate this:
Fans of IHOGs

Karolyneb's notes:
I would love to know where some of those pictures were taken. They really added character to the usually bland HOG backgrounds.

maxminpin
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by maxminpin on Apr 11, 10 11:20 AM
karolyneb wrote:CW: TVF Review

The good:

The indifferent:

The bad:

Who will like this:
Fans of straight HOGs

Who will hate this:
Fans of IHOGs

Karolyneb's notes:

Being still new I'm not sure what some of the abbreviations mean. What is a IHOG?

Thanks
Hope (Maxminpin)

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 25, 10 12:51 AM
Being still new I'm not sure what some of the abbreviations mean. What is a IHOG?

Thanks
Hope (Maxminpin)

Hi Maxminpin,

An IHOG is an Interactive Hidden Object Game. Basically, in addition to finding hidden objects, you also complete tasks (usually using tools you collect during the hidden object search). That's just a very short, very general explanation. Hope it helps!

jaramilo
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by jaramilo on May 8, 10 7:20 PM
I bought Cate West: The Vanishing Files over due to recommendations in the forums and am really disappointed.

Each chapter is the "same ol' same ol' thing." No intensity.

Double clicking to get through the boring dialog is a pain.

The artwork in most of the scenes is blurry and hard to see. The storyline could have been interesting but the cartoon-like charactors and intrusive dialog lost my interest.

I give it a 2 out of 5

Edited on 05/08/2010 at 7:21:39 PM PST

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on May 8, 10 7:27 PM
I like both of the Cate West games. I've now purchased both of them

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on May 13, 10 12:45 AM
genkicoll wrote:I like both of the Cate West games. I've now purchased both of them

I couldn't have said it better myself. for each game.

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Jun 3, 10 7:58 PM
A nice mix of HOGs, FROGs, Spot the Difference (I love these but seem to be in a minority), and I don't know what to call the putting things back in scenes. The **** scenes are challenging but not overwhelming as are the FROGs and Spot the Differences. As someone said, the pictures are pretty photorealistic. The dialogue is skippable and storyline not that great. The major problem is the over-length. Usually we want longer games but here, a few less chapters would have been fine.

If it comes up at 2.99 again, worth getting, even if you abandon it at some point. It's fun while it lasts.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 5, 10 2:31 PM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

If you like straight HOG's and spot-the-differences, you'll probably like this one. I don't, so this one really didn't pique my interest. The storyline didn't draw me in very well like it would have needed to for being a straight HOG/FROG game, and the spoken dialogue not matching what was written on the screen was very distracting. The HOG/FROG scenes were of the fuzzy junkpile variety which made it very difficult to distinguish one item from the next, much less find a specific object (or fragment of the object as the case may have been). I did like the Guess Who portions of the game and wouldn't mind an entire game along those lines, but they were too short for me to buy the game for them alone.

Go to: