cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Rasputin's curse comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on Jan 25, 10 11:52 PM
Played the full hour. Moderately tough HOG with minimal interaction.
Music is classical, appropriate to the period, and pretty well rendered. Nice.
Graphs are only fair, not grainy on my screen, just a little blurred.
Game pace is very slow, partly because the authors tried to push the game engine to its limits. Most scenes have several active elements (spinning fan, tassel moving in the breeze). Result is that mouse clicks are a bit touchy, and interactive spots require patience as the mouse does not immediately change color when you move onto one of them. Go slow, and you will find what you are looking for. For the most part, so far anyway, the containers that hide special objects are at least mostly logical. Yes, a teddy bear in a kitchen cabinet isn't sensible, but it IS a cabinet.
As others have commented elsewhere, you are sometimes required to guess just what the authors had in mind by things like "tea cabinet". It was not at all clear. More patience required, or use a hint. Hints recharge in about 30 seconds, so one can get through even very difficult patches without spending an age.
Some items are rather small, but at least I didn't note any serious trickery (No purple lemon against a purple background kind of idea).
Story will be a matter of taste. Others have given details. Starts like a soap opera plot, not sure if it stays that way.

3.5 on my scale of 10. Might buy it at $2.99.

Edited on 01/26/2010 at 3:38:20 PM PST

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

Re:Rasputin's curse comments and reviews

[Post New]by cesse47 on Jan 26, 10 9:12 AM
Played about 15 minutes of demo. Had at least 5 items on the far left side of game and hidden except for a small bit ... but nothing identifiable. Quit and trashed the game.

[Post New]by barbalicious1508 on Jan 26, 10 11:46 AM
My problem with the download was the only things that showed up was the items you were suppose to find. The background totally black. I figure I will give it a couple of days and see if anyone else has that problem and re download.

bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Jan 26, 10 12:17 PM
Hey barbalicious1508,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with Rasputin's Curse. It sounds like the black screen you're describing could be the result of some outdated display drivers or a missing game file. The best thing I can suggest is to double check that your DirectX and display drivers are updated and to try reinstalling the game.

The following help article will show you some quick steps to get those updates

Unable to Play Downloadable Game

If this doesn't help, I'd suggest sending in a ticket to tech support so they can help with a bit more troubleshooting. You can contact Customer Support by clicking on the green envelope to the right of the screen. Or if you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can connect to Live Chat

Hope this helps!

-bfgZambezi

[Post New]by lensangel1 on Jan 26, 10 1:14 PM
My game is the samebut it's even worse when the journal comes up the game freeze's. I've downloaded from 2 other sources and they are just the same, so black screen but I do get green cursor showing where hidden objects are but only 5 minutes into the game as I say the journal comes up when she has her first black out and the game freezes
Lensangel1

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Jan 26, 10 3:40 PM
Hi folks,

I went ahead and stickied this thread so that it'll be easy to find for those looking for more info on this game.

Just as a tip, a good thing to keep spoilers in mind - if you're posting something that might possibly spoil part of the storyline or the solution to a puzzle, it's always a good idea to put a big ol' spoiler tag at the top to warn other users.

Thanks!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

[Post New]by sanjar8 on Jan 26, 10 6:03 PM
I have not been able to get any sound for this game at all. Any suggestions?
I am running vista .

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Jan 26, 10 6:55 PM
I was looking forward to playing this game but was disappointed.

How many loading screens does one game need??

I too had the black screen thing, something that has never happened before, if this got sorted then I might try it again, but I am glad to see I am not the only one.

Of course I could try downloading it again but it takes so long and slows everything down on the computer, so it is best to just put it in the junk pile.

Maybe an option to turn off the custom cursor too, as sometimes it is easier to have your own, especially if games are running a little slow.

A real shame that this one did not work out.

[Post New]by Tassygirl1958 on Jan 27, 10 6:57 AM
This game completely froze up my computer! The only way I could "escape" was to shut down the 'puter! I uninstalled it and installed it again...did not help! I had the same problem with the Millionaire Quest too! What's up with this!? I have never had really serious issues with BF games before. I hope this is not indicitive of what's to come!

[Post New]by laramthun on Jan 27, 10 8:39 AM
I've got the problem that only the hidden things are showing up, but instead a black screen behind them, I've got a funky grey screen that sort of shows the background. And all my drivers were recently updated. So I can't be that. Sounds like we've got a programmer who letting the user find their errors again!

MammawJo
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by MammawJo on Jan 27, 10 12:22 PM
A HUGE waste of time and money! For the developers as well as gamers. This game had a lot of potential; but barely got out of the toddler stage.

I had no problem with dl'ing or installing on Vista Home Premium (32bit); the game ran fine, if a bit on the slow side. My computer only has 1GB of RAM, so I don't often knock a game if it's a bit slow; but I see several others have the same issue.

The story line starts out well enough. Then it seems like you've missed a few episodes somewhere. Had me hollering " What the *heck*! (censored, lol) I, personally, love a good story with the game and a skip option is offered for those that don't.

Some objects are very hard to find/distinguish and had to use Hint for several of them, this is partly to do with not-so-great graphics.

I was really disappointed with this game. I was able to finish in just over 2 hours. And I think about half of the time was looking at the "Please Wait" screen.

I really wish developers would take a bit more time, care and pride in their work. Seems like we've been getting a lot of sub-standard games lately.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jan 27, 10 3:53 PM
I really wanted to like this game because I am a huge fan of Russian history. Unfortuntely, I just couldn't. Also, it really doesn't have anything to do with Russian history except bringing Rasputin into play.

The game was extremely slow in loading all the dialogue. There was really way too much even with the skip. I found the storyline a bit boring, convoluted, and soap opera-y. It didn't become somewhat interesting until well into the game when the main character was in Russian. Before that point, I found myself wishing she would just hurry up and go to Russia and quit straightening up everything for everyone else. I won't even go into the cheating hubby part and her reaction.....

The ****'s were somewhat difficult to find. Unlike most games where the cursor changes color when you have to use an object to find another, the cursor in this game doesn't change and you have no clue as to what you are supposed to do. I did enjoy the graphics once the main character arrived in Russia, but that was about it.

I played through to the end of the trial, about halfway through the game, because I just kept hoping the game would get better, but it never did. I deleted it as soon as the trial was over.

wrath6
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wrath6 on Jan 27, 10 7:27 PM
Thought storyline was interesting until she catches husband cheating - didnt follow previous storyline where he suggested they go away...some items were hard to locate -had to use hint a couple of times and you had to click on the item exactly right to make it dissappear. once you get to Russia, thought things would improve but she breaks a cabinet for a tea bag, no one working at hotel this ruins the story. i didnt care for the game - well continue to wait for something closer to RTR, Drawn or EPRHS

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Jan 28, 10 1:25 PM
BOW WOW WOW! RUFF RUFF. GRRRR!!! A real dog. Does it ever do anything besides have goofy dialogue and lead you thru an endless list of HOG scenes. No puzzles? No mini-games? Playing tic-tac-toe by myself is more fun than this mongrel. When is Azada III coming out? Hurry!
Dr.good

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jan 28, 10 4:09 PM
Ahhhhm okaaaaaaay. I read good reviews about the game and so downloaded it first chance we got (was one day early, see the KPIC thread and the other one about the game on that day) and finally played the demo hour today.

Ahm, yes, what can I say... the game is... how shall I put it... not so great. The spoken introduction started good, then wall of text... click... wall of text... click... picture... click... wall of text... click... animated picture... click... ah, a HOG scene!

Hey, this one actually makes sense! I have to clean up the stuff junior left behind. Then I have to pack his things for his visit to grandma. In short, yes, the HOG scenes in general have something to do with the task at hand and items are in kinda believable places, even if a bit small from time to time. Hints are recharging fast.

But then the story kicks in. I won't go into detail here, but during the hour I went Eh WOT??? more than once, and when I checked how much I've played to determine game length (about 2/3 of the way, leading to an effective game time of 90 minutes which is way too short for me) and checked out the rest of the story at Gamezebo. And this was no longer EH WOT??? but rather ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

So, as you might have guessed, sorry, no sale.

errias
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by errias on Jan 29, 10 9:21 PM
Sorry, no sale here either. Story moved way too slow, the bit about her husband being unfaithful came before she heard the answering maching....uninstalled it after that. items were hard to find also.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Jan 30, 10 3:57 PM
I'm so sorry to read all the negative comments all over the forum (including Chit Chat). I still decided to demo for myself.
I'm glad I did as I really enjoyed my hour and think I will be buying it (although I will check on length). If it's short, I'll wait for it to come up on the DD (yes, I can wait that long!).
Disagree with the comment about no mini-games. I played a few on my trial, like putting together the answer maching and putting torn pages together.
from me!

[Post New]by BonnieBlue102 on Jan 31, 10 9:57 AM
doctorgood wrote:BOW WOW WOW! RUFF RUFF. GRRRR!!! A real dog. Does it ever do anything besides have goofy dialogue and lead you thru an endless list of HOG scenes. No puzzles? No mini-games? Playing tic-tac-toe by myself is more fun than this mongrel. When is Azada III coming out? Hurry!
Dr.good

[Post New]by BonnieBlue102 on Jan 31, 10 9:59 AM
Right! The ending was horrible..........the whole dialogue stunk to high heaven. Unanswered questions.......how much was a dream? How much was not........I just wasted 6.99.

[Post New]by saneone on Feb 1, 10 2:20 AM
I can't believe how pathetic this woman is - cheating husband, whingey whiney child - I have palyed to St Petersberg but I don't think I can stand the woman any more - PLEASE game developers - get somthing vaguely resembling reality in your story lines. I QUIT this game.

Go to: