What is a HOG?

[Post New]by JoyousWildSong on Jun 8, 16 4:21 PM
I'm new to playing games and probably not as computer literate as most of you. I STILL want to throw the carriage at the end of every line as I did when I typed on a manual typewriter. Back in the early 60's when I was in high school I even won typing contests, typing over 100 words per minute. And my typewriter NEVER tried to correct my spelling or argued with what I wanted to type. I like being the smart one operating a machine, not a smart machine operating me!
So all the abbreviations are frustrating. Could people just type the whole words???
I grew up on a farm and even grew and sold at farmers markets before I retired, so really love these growing games. My favorite so far is Rural Rush, both original and number 2. Also love Gardenscapes. Both the time management games and the hidden object games are great. But don't care for the dark violent dangerous type games.
Thanks for any help I can get.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:What is a HOG?

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jun 9, 16 12:15 PM
Welcome to the pond!

I can understand where you're coming from; however as with any other group of people who share a common interest, gamers develop a group lingo where some things are generally understood and therefore abbreviated. Most of the gamers on these forums are older people like yourself. To answer your question though,

HOG = hidden object game.

Other common abbreviations you'll see in these forums are:

HO = hidden object
HOS = hidden object scene
TM = time management (game)
M3 = match three (game)
MP = marble popper (game)

Be glad that there don't seem to be a lot of millenials posting here, otherwise you'd probably be seeing posts in "texting speak" all the time...

As for your other inquiry, I'm not much of a HOG or TM fan, but most of the gamers here are, so I'm sure you'll be able to get plenty of good game suggestions from someone. Happy gaming!

[edit] Googling "internet forum abbreviations" brings up several great links for deciphering common abbreviations seen in forums.

Edited on 06/09/2016 at 12:32:34 PM PST

Re:What is a HOG?

[Post New]by JoyousWildSong on Jun 25, 16 2:07 PM
Thank You so much for your help! I'm up to week 9 with one "persona" and have started another (didn't make the attempt after using up all my stored goods and all the refills(seeds) and a lot of cash!)
Am up to week 8 with the new persona and am hoping to do better this run. Have $37,085 after buying the No Bug Spray option (hope it's worth the huge expense!)
I have 4 Storage Trays, 5 goats, 3 monkey/trees, 2 alpacas, 2 ducks, Machines: 1 pie, 1 ice cream, 1 fruit rollup, 1 juice and lots (more than 8) of the crops.
I keep moving my barn and crates around to where I want to harvest, putting the game into Move mode to plan my next move.
By taking 2 turns to do a level, I build up all the crops and have everything full to start the round. Then I usually have a big time bonus to help build up my cash.
Anyone else have any other hints?
Great game!
JoyousWildSong

Go to: