dancer22
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Please, enough of these games of witchcraft

[Post New]by dancer22 on Jan 30, 10 9:17 AM
Is anyone else getting sick of these games that include witchcraft? On the one hour trials ,it seem like somes games start out interesting but then somehow skulls , potions and items of the dark side are included. I WON"T buy them! Some games I did purchase had witchcraft items later in the game. I was disappointed.

ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

Re:Please, enough of these games of witchcraft

[Post New]by ducle on Jan 30, 10 9:47 AM
Agreed. I don't like games with magic of any sort. Or cartoons. Or ancient Egypt. I guess I'm not willing to suspend belief for very long even when I play a game.

But witchcraft in particular and magic in general really turn me off.

LadyLilithAnn
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLilithAnn on Jan 30, 10 5:14 PM
If you are a person that does not like the fantasy world then read what the games are about or download the trials to see if you like the game before you purchase the said game. I for one am only a fourth of the way thur the "Green Moon" and have enjoyed this so far as well as the "Dream Chronicles" series. You don't have to believe in witchcraft to enjoy a puzzle game. Ancient Egypt is part of history. Does anyone remember cartoons like Bugs Bunny? Depends on your viewpoint. I also was brought up Catholic and to think our forfathers (sp) were mixing things together for whatever purpose long before we were born.

dancer22
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by dancer22 on Jan 30, 10 11:45 PM
I agree that we should be WARNED of the content of the game. Witchcraft just seems to be abundant in a lot of these games in some shape or form. The games are also played by younger people who can be influenced to experiment in this cult. You can not always tell of the content of a game in a one hour trial. I think if the majority of the games were saturated with other religious or bibical beliefs most people wouldn't like it either.

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Jan 30, 10 11:51 PM
Sorry- but 99% of games are based on fantasy.

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Jan 31, 10 12:19 AM
prpldva wrote:Sorry- but 99% of games are based on fantasy.

IKR! The witchcraft included is also fantasy....just like The DaVinci Code is a fantasy of a different variety. I know many Catholics who find that book or anything based on it (including a game) offensive, should there be a waring label on that too? Or do we all just use our commonsense?

I want a warning against warning labels.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Jan 31, 10 12:26 AM
Sorry, I agree with prpldva.

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Jan 31, 10 12:41 AM
I Green Moon and these types of games. I loved Harry Potter and Twilight and magic and vampires and fantasy and, yes, skulls and witches too. So I really don't mind more of this stuff.

Maybe you could check the screenshots first to see if there's anything objectionable in them, and even peek into the walkthrough, just to see if it might offend you. I would say there's enough visual information there to serve as a warning about the content.

We can't always have flowers, butterflies and rainbows in our games. But we do get light-hearted ones every so often, such as Fiona Finch and Paradise Quest and Alice's Teacup Madness. For HOGs, there's Dream Day Wedding, and City Sights, and Gardenscapes, and Mary Kay Andrews Fixer Upper.

And then there's the new trend of romance HOGs to look forward to, like the Harlequin line, and I'm sure there's more love stories coming our way soon.

I'm just glad there's a wide variety of choices out there, for all types of people, of various interests and preferences. What's anathema to one person may be pure joy to another. Let's just keep our minds and hearts open.

manxminx
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by manxminx on Jan 31, 10 2:26 AM
I agree with dvdiva 100%

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Jan 31, 10 4:58 AM
Game playing, by definition, involves the suspension of reality. Films, books and T.V. do too - and no one gives you a free trial there to decide if it is your kind of thing.

There will be times when a particular genre offends or upsets someone, depending on circumstances. It's a matter of using your own discretion. No one forces these things upon us.

Personally, I don't think that a bit of potion mixing or the odd genie will encourage anyone (regardless of age) to become interested in 'cults'.

[Post New]by Miniatures1 on Jan 31, 10 6:00 AM
agree with weeharleyboy nobody makes you play these games

quynne77
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by quynne77 on Jan 31, 10 6:14 AM
If you don't like these games don't play them - just don't spoil the fun of those that do like them (none of whom are likely to belong to cults) by asking them to be discontinued.

Cults (such as many groups dictated to by minority group religions/opinions) are more likely to ban these games than people who just like some escapism and some scary type scenarios.

LadyLilithAnn
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLilithAnn on Jan 31, 10 6:29 AM
I would love it if there were Harry Potter games for us to play. I remember when the books first came out and if my memory serves correct parents were trying to get these banned. Look were we are now. Keep an open mind and the world of wonder will open up to us. I do not think that it makes us go to the dark side. There are influences of all kinds around us and we have the free will to respond or not. For my fellow players of the "Green Moon" you may enjoy the "Dream Chronicle" series. I love interactive games that gives you hours of enjoyment, same as books, movies,etc.
I agree with quynne77 and weeharleyboy

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Jan 31, 10 6:32 AM
I love games that include occult imagery, witches and warlocks, potions and spells! It all adds greatly to the escapism element for me.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Jan 31, 10 6:32 AM

dvdiva, you took the words right off of my keyboard.

There is always a great selection here on for everyone's interest. Just remember the history of the Spanish Inquisition. No choice for anyone in that period of history.

I Green Moon!!

ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

[Post New]by ducle on Jan 31, 10 7:13 AM
I'm not in favor of censorship, and I don't dislike magic/fantasy games because they offend my religious beliefs. I just don't like them--I'm a very realistic person and don't even enjoy reading most fiction. That doesn't mean I would want to take those kinds of games away from anyone else. I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would be swayed to the dark side by playing a computer game unless that person was already well on the wa ythere. Anyway, to each his own. I was just expressing my personal preferences.

Edited on 01/31/2010 at 7:13:51 AM PST

dancer22
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by dancer22 on Jan 31, 10 10:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your opinions and input. Sure ,no one wants censorship.You cannot always know what's in a game by it's name. I guess researching a walkthrough before buying a game would help though it might spoil the fun.Some game do have a content warning.

nocturnadawn
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nocturnadawn on Jan 31, 10 12:01 PM
I played my 60 min. trial and came to the forums because I had been "stuck" for a bit. Wanted to see if the answer was here before buying the game. I was really supprised to come across this thread as I don't see where witchcraft comes into this game at all. Perhaps I am not deep enough in...but a magic book and some alchemy does not equal witchcraft and even if it did, there is nothing wrong with it. People are so misguided these days about witchcraft and all that. Wicca is actually a very beautiful religion, not what most movies make it. I could go on a tirade here, but I won't. I guess to each his own, but seriously....this game was a dead giveaway just from the picture that it had a spooky theme. Plus after an hour of playing it, you have to know it isn't sunshine and roses. I really don't feel sorry for anyone who bought this game and then thought "ohhh no! It is a creepy one". If your that easily offended, then check the games out better before you buy. Best way is to read the forums. If it is creepy (and I won't use the term witchcraft, because that isn't creepy at all) chances are someone will have said something already. Then you know the game isn't for you. There are HUNDREDS of other games on this site that have nothing to do with spooks, potions, or witches. Good luck.

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Jan 31, 10 12:26 PM
I love games that are spooky and scary,makes games more fun,I always read about a game before buying,thats why they have the demos.If you don't like it don't buy it.there are alot of games I don't like.but I don't put them down cause thats not fair to everyone else.everyone has there own type of game.just enjoy the games you do like,amd be happy.

[Post New]by mistergeorge on Jan 31, 10 1:45 PM
I would like to think that anyone who plays PC games of any kind would have a warning in there own mind that anyone of these games could be offensive to them. So if a person may be offended by certain things that may appear in a game, you should really research it before buying it. And if you don't, "Caveat Emptor" (Let the buyer beware.) "

Go to: