cnicolls
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

Gunpowder

[Post New]by cnicolls on Feb 1, 10 11:03 AM
I have played through to the 1200's where the Chinese are making gunpowder. I have found everything in the cut away scene,as well as in the main scene. BUT I cannot make the gunpowder. I have the ash. No problem there, but when I try to place the ash where it is supposed to go (and I did check the walk through to make sure I was correct in this location) to make saltpeter, it won't place. I clicked all over that location, but all I got was a dancing cursor telling me I was being a naughty girl.

Everything else has been fine, so far. This is the first glitch I've found. I can't finish the chapter without the saltpeter, and I can't move forward. Any suggestions?

Thanks

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

Gunpowder

[Post New]by robin94122 on Feb 1, 10 12:34 PM
cnicolls wrote:I have played through to the 1200's where the Chinese are making gunpowder. I have found everything in the cut away scene,as well as in the main scene. BUT I cannot make the gunpowder. I have the ash. No problem there, but when I try to place the ash where it is supposed to go (and I did check the walk through to make sure I was correct in this location) to make saltpeter, it won't place. I clicked all over that location, but all I got was a dancing cursor telling me I was being a naughty girl.

Everything else has been fine, so far. This is the first glitch I've found. I can't finish the chapter without the saltpeter, and I can't move forward. Any suggestions?

Thanks

The marking on the screenshot in the walkthrough is for where you're going to pick up the SALTPETRE after it falls down from the mulch, but you'll place the ASHES much higher on the pile of straw there.

This is one of those times in the game when you're going to use an item in one place, and then the item you need to collect will fall down into the scene and you'll collect it from a different spot.

So try using the ASHES higher up on the straw, and see if that does it. You should be able to find the spot even before you pick up the ASHES by just moving your cursor over the straw until you find the spot where it turns into gears. That's where you want to put the ASHES.

Then the walkthrough screenshot marks the place where the SALTPETRE will fall to and you need to pick it up. (You don't get the gears cursor for that step.)

Good luck!
Robin

cnicolls
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

Re:Gunpowder

[Post New]by cnicolls on Feb 1, 10 2:56 PM
I have done that, Robin.... looked for the gears. They don't come up. I had used that trick many times already in the game, so it was an "easy try"....but they don't come up. that was why I put up the post. Have shut the game down....but will go back later and try again.

Thanks for trying to help!!!

OK....just went back and tried again. No gears, so I am guessing it was a minor DL glitch. If I uninstall the game, will my progress be save for the second download, or will I have to begin again from square 1?

Edited on 02/01/2010 at 3:03:32 PM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Feb 1, 10 6:17 PM
cnicolls wrote:I have done that, Robin.... looked for the gears. They don't come up. I had used that trick many times already in the game, so it was an "easy try"....but they don't come up. that was why I put up the post. Have shut the game down....but will go back later and try again.

OK....just went back and tried again. No gears, so I am guessing it was a minor DL glitch. If I uninstall the game, will my progress be save for the second download, or will I have to begin again from square 1?

On most games you won't lose your progress if you uninstall and reinstall, but I don't know for sure on this one. You could check with Customer Service.

Good luck--I'm sure that must be frustrating!

Robin

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Feb 2, 10 11:21 AM
cnicolls wrote:I have done that, Robin.... looked for the gears. They don't come up. I had used that trick many times already in the game, so it was an "easy try"....but they don't come up. that was why I put up the post. Have shut the game down....but will go back later and try again.

Had the same problem. Started looking for gears they were on left hand side of screen by bottle( 2 sets). Clicked on them. The mulch opened up and i could place ashes. Haven't got a clue why that worked but it did...
gl

[Post New]by valcoa on Feb 11, 10 12:07 PM
I can't get it to work either.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Feb 27, 10 12:47 PM
valcoa wrote:I can't get it to work either.

OK, I've finally been able to reproduce the problem that some people have run into.

There are two places on the left side of the screen by the flower bed where the cursor turns into gears. When you click on those, it seems like nothing happens, but if you DON'T click on those before you try to put the Ash on the Mulch on the right side, then the game won't let you place the Ash correctly.

There's no reason in the story/scene why that should be true, but it's just the way it works.

Once you've clicked on those two places on the left, those hot spots go away.
Now you can take the Ash from the inventory (or take it out of the grate if you haven't done that yet), and then there will be the correct hot spot on the right side of the screen (as shown in the walkthrough) and you can place the Ash on the Mulch and collect the Saltpetre.

So players who work a scene from left to right and always click where gears appear in order to get hints about what to do next will never run into the problem.

Players who work a scene from right to left or who don't click on gears until they have a pretty good idea what they'll do will run into the problem of the Ash not working where it's supposed to.

The workaround is easy. If you can't put the Ash on the Mulch on the right side, put it back into your inventory tray. Then run your cursor over the left side of the screen by the flower bed and click anywhere it turns into gears. Once you've cleared that area, get the Ash from the inventory tray again and it should then work correctly on the right side of the screen.

Good luck!
Robin

Go to: