naedebpat
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

Collectors Edition v/s Regular

[Post New]by naedebpat on Feb 2, 10 3:58 AM
Let me know how you feel about the 6.99$ one.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

Re:Collectors Edition v/s Regular

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Feb 2, 10 4:07 AM
I really enjoyed the game and glad I waited.

[Post New]by katfish13 on Feb 2, 10 5:46 AM
I truly enjoyed this game and waited for the 6.99 version because I have not found that the collector's editions offer enough extras to warrant the additional price. I am perfectly happy with my choice of the less expensive version!

I am usually one to skip through story lines and voice overs in almost all games I play, but I didn't with this one because the voices are awesome, the story is of course interesting, and it moved along nicely without interrupting play for long at all. It kept my interest and was truly a pleasure to listen to and read.

For some this may be on the dark side, but it's true to form with the play and I thought it was very well put together.

This was challenging, but not horrible difficult. I like having to think, but I hate being so frustrated that I want to give up. The mini games were unique, did not repeat, and were just challenging enough without being hair pulling puzzles. This game was a ton of fun and had me wanting to purchase after only 10 minutes of the demo.

The graphics are outstanding and moving between scenes was effortless with no lag at all which truly made the game roll right along. In fact I would have to say that these are by far the best graphics I've seen since Return to Ravenhurst.

The hidden object scenes were junk pile and, at first, seemed intimidating, but were actually not as hard as I thought they would be at all. The objects fit with the time scheme of the story which also made it very nice. No alien space ships or microwave ovens in the time of Sweeney Todd!

The most difficult part of the hidden object sections were the fact that some of the words I didn't know because they are British I believe. For example a "lorgnette". Didn't know what that was and had to use a hint, but now I know! There are a couple more like that, but I will undoubtedly be playing this again and again so I will have learned new words as well!

As for the "find things and put them together to make things happen" parts, some of them were logically easy and others had me thinking to figure out what to do next, which I liked, but did not take long to go "Oh wait, I know..."

The music and sound effects were so pleasurable that I can not recall any point where it distracted me from the game or made me want to turn it down.

Overall, I have been waiting for another game that would keep my interest and have me moving around like RTR, and I finally found it. Bravo to BF for bringing this one along!

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Feb 2, 10 7:17 AM
I've gotten CE editions of games. They would be worth twice the price but not three times. The 6.99 version is fine. I don't use Screen savers because I turn off my mon. when not in use. The guide doesn't seem that ness. if I need help with sometning, I can just change to window mode and checkout the walkthrough. The demo was over before I knew it. Will be getting this with my credit in 2 days, Can't wait.

Misty_Rivers
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by Misty_Rivers on Feb 2, 10 8:04 AM
I also just found this game. It looks like a lot of fun. Does anyone know how long it is?

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 2, 10 9:22 AM
I really like this game! I am so glad, that I have waited for the regular version of this game. I will buy it this week. Thanks, !

uwflossi
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by uwflossi on Feb 2, 10 9:51 AM
I too love this game. Glad that I did not buy the expensive collection. Happy gaming.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Feb 2, 10 10:19 AM
I just downloaded the regular version and it seems to be much smaller than the CE was. I know the CE had special features and a walkthru but the Dire Grove regular version was nearly the same length downloading as the CE version. Am I missing something here?

[Post New]by philwgb on Feb 2, 10 11:39 AM
lorgnette - is actually French.

BTW, British players have difficulty with many objects because they have the US name for them.

Wrench = spanner over the pond

purse vis a vis handbag is another

There are many more that make picking an object for Brits that tad more time-consuming - a right PITTF for timed games!

I always have a giggle with some of the games originating from the Russian Republic. [ The English is faulty in places - but it is a great giggle! ]

However, the game is brilliant, the copper's (police officer for you guys!) speech so authentic, the artwork great, and the walkthrough excellent.

Phil

Edited on 02/14/2010 at 10:03:00 AM PST

[Post New]by katfish13 on Feb 2, 10 1:00 PM
philwgb wrote:lorgnette - is actually French.
BTW, British players have difficulty with many objects because they have the US name for them.

Yes, LOL, you are correct. It was a poor example, but it was the first word that came to mind when I was thinking about spelling correctly (and I speak French so that's how I knew how to spell it, LOL). I suppose I should have said it was an example of a word that most of us do not see in most hidden object games.

And yes, I didn't look at it from a language for others point of view. I certainly meant no offense in any way and I can see how that would make your games much more challenging on the whole. I honestly didn't think about that. Very good point!

[Post New]by katfish13 on Feb 2, 10 1:08 PM
Misty_Rivers wrote:I also just found this game. It looks like a lot of fun. Does anyone know how long it is?

If you take your time, listen and follow the story line, don't skip the mini-games, and reserve hints for absolutely necessary I'd say this game has a pretty good length of about 4-5 hours. Even when I played it again and skipped the story it still took me a good 3 hours just checking everything out. On average I would say just playing through after you've played once will take about 3 hours, but the graphics and story well make up for the length of time.

I played it three times so far and also found that the second and third times around the hidden objects change so the replay value for that part of it is good.

You can also skip around the map and not play the same way twice and still get the same end result. So you don't have to go in order of "scenes" every single time. I like that!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Feb 2, 10 2:15 PM
I demoed them both and I am actually leaning towards the collector edition. I haven't purchased any of the CEs because I don't feel like any are worth $19.99 instead of $6.99, however, I might do so with this one. I had absolutely no problems with the CE version, but for some reason the regular version didn't run as clean on my computer. The music went in and out and I finally had to turn it off. It took a long time between scenes and sections of scenes I had completed. Almost like the game was skipping over sections included in the CE until it came to the right spot in the regular version.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Feb 2, 10 3:20 PM
I played the trial of the regular version just as I did the ce and, in the first place, I couldn't afford to pay the higher price. The regular version is every bit as nice. It just lacks extras that I don't feel are important. All I care about is the actual game. After playing the trial of the regular version I used a credit to get it right away. I love the game and the graphics are beautiful. The game, so far, at least, is neither too easy nor too difficult for me and I really enjoy the British accents. The acting is very well done. The singing is nice, too. It's an all-around great game! WAY UP!!

By the way, Katfish, your review was very good.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Feb 2, 10 5:26 PM
I bought the CE version but that was because I was hanging out for a new game but I have not used the extras in any of the CE except som extra scenes in one that did not mount to anything, personally I would only buy CE again if I am deperate to play and nothing else is on offer Also with this game the BF walkthrough was a lot beter that the guide inside the CE I used that in window mod when stuck.

Cheers
lineck

Ukiah
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

Re:Collectors Edition v/s Regular--what happened to hints?

[Post New]by Ukiah on Feb 2, 10 5:45 PM
I'm confused about the hint system in the regular version. When I click on the help lantern the only things that display are the navigational tutorial (how to interact with the game), plus the notice that the walkthrough is available in the CE version. I can't any assistance with the point at which I need the game to provide a hint. I HOPE I'm just doing something wrong, because I'd hate to think that hint systems are going to be held hostage by CE versions in the future.

Am I missing how to get a hint?

Ukiah

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

Re:Collectors Edition v/s Regular--what happened to hints?

[Post New]by Sante001 on Feb 2, 10 7:13 PM
Ukiah wrote:I'm confused about the hint system in the regular version. When I click on the help lantern the only things that display are the navigational tutorial (how to interact with the game), plus the notice that the walkthrough is available in the CE version. I can't any assistance with the point at which I need the game to provide a hint. I HOPE I'm just doing something wrong, because I'd hate to think that hint systems are going to be held hostage by CE versions in the future.

Am I missing how to get a hint?

Ukiah

Ukiah. I played both the CE and the Regular. First, let me say that I didn't really see much difference in the two. I like the game and will most likely use my Credit this month to purchase. And no, you will not be held hostage by having to purchase the CE version. The hint system works the same in both.--

Using Hints. The way it should work: Click on the item in the list. When you do this, 4-red lines forming a square will appear around the object. The object will be located in the center of the square.

The lantern tells you when the hint is recharged. You should not click on this for it will take you to the message that you received.

My brief review. I really liked this game. The storyline follows pretty much the play. The game play is somewhat of a challenge, which I also liked. Most people have commented on this so I will not repeat it hear.

Graphics are great, the sound is not annoying, which I often find to be the case.

This game gets my approval and my purchase.

Edited on 02/02/2010 at 7:15:11 PM PST

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Feb 3, 10 11:30 AM
Really liked this game and will be purchasing regular edition.

[Post New]by philwgb on Feb 3, 10 12:11 PM
Hi Katfish,

Hey, I did not take offence (British spelling! LOL! )

As a Brit, I have found any number of historical puzzles slanted to the Old Country.

There seems to be any number based on Jack the Ripper.

I admit I went straight to the Collector's Edition.

I like playing through with help first, when I need it, but then play through several times trying to do it all with help.

What annoys me most of all, is where you get a Hidden Object Scene, and cannot find that last da--ed one!

[ I am still looking for a pin in a taxi in one game. After about twelve hours searching. ]

Phil

Misty_Rivers
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by Misty_Rivers on Feb 3, 10 1:58 PM
katfish13 wrote:
Misty_Rivers wrote:I also just found this game. It looks like a lot of fun. Does anyone know how long it is?

If you take your time, listen and follow the story line, don't skip the mini-games, and reserve hints for absolutely necessary I'd say this game has a pretty good length of about 4-5 hours. Even when I played it again and skipped the story it still took me a good 3 hours just checking everything out. On average I would say just playing through after you've played once will take about 3 hours, but the graphics and story well make up for the length of time.

I played it three times so far and also found that the second and third times around the hidden objects change so the replay value for that part of it is good.

You can also skip around the map and not play the same way twice and still get the same end result. So you don't have to go in order of "scenes" every single time. I like that!
Thank you. I try not to use hints, and I love mini games gives me a chance to regroup or take a break. I am downloading now.

Go to: