goldenrodfarm
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ - What did you think?

[Post New]by goldenrodfarm on Dec 16, 08 9:34 PM
I have enjoyed what I have done of this game,

Pros, graphics are great, music and sound effects fit in just perfect, the puzzles are wonderful, sometimes hard but I like the challenge. This game has made great strides in realistic movement of people, the ghosts are a work of art.

Cons: The bugs in this program are very anoying, I am still having to uninstall the BFG manager each time I want to continue the game I hope this can be addressed soon. I find some screens are too dark in places for me to see properly to find objects, it may be fine for 20yo eyes but I have a very hard time in some places even distinquishing what the object is, several times I clicked on a object thinking it was one thing and it was something else on the list. Sometimes I have the same issue with this game as in Ravenhearst, when they ask for duct tape and you can only find electrical tape it is not the same, same idea with a pick ax that isn't really.

Other thoughts: I personally found all the bugs kind of creapy even thought those things don't usually bother me, like the spider comming out of the dolls mouth.

All in all I would give this game the thumbs up.

[Post New]by Alexis94525 on Dec 16, 08 9:43 PM
Loved it - The best game I ever played. Nice balance of Hidden object and other puzzles. Wish you could skip the movies, but none are long enough to be annoying. I never did get the kitchen cabinets open and was stuck with the telescope at the end but I guess it didn't matter.

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Dec 17, 08 5:47 AM
Alexis94525 wrote:Loved it - The best game I ever played. Nice balance of Hidden object and other puzzles. Wish you could skip the movies, but none are long enough to be annoying. I never did get the kitchen cabinets open and was stuck with the telescope at the end but I guess it didn't matter.

Hi Alexis- welcome to the forums!

You are only able to open the one under the sink.

The telescope is used to view the weathervane- on it is a clue to the elevator puzzle.

pcpat923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by pcpat923 on Dec 17, 08 6:35 AM
Great Game! I've read some posts that folks couldn't get through the game quickly. This is not that kind of game. It's like chess in a way. Make a move and come back later--especially when you're stuck! Being no math genius, the numbers puzzles had me looking for help. However, I do feel good after wandering around several days and finally getting those puzzles solved! Music is terrificly eerie! The graphics were astonishling! I was afraid someone was going to come out and grab me!
A big thanks to everyone who worked hard on this project.

BK3009
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by BK3009 on Dec 17, 08 8:58 AM
I have loved all the MCF games but this one is just fabulous, Please can you do a return to Madame Fate.

[Post New]by blondone on Dec 17, 08 11:15 AM
This is my first post, so please be kind.

I loved this game!!!
I have played all the Mystery case files games and this is by far the best.

Thanks to this forum, I could also get help when I got stuck.

[Post New]by mlc1939 on Dec 17, 08 11:18 AM
Love the game but help,help,help! I'm stuck in Victor's cottage and trying for the life of me to figure out the puzzle in the living room on the door across from the fireplace. I checked with the journal and know it has something to do with the different keys. Since I can't skip this puzzle and can't figure it out, I'm at a standstill. I have checked some of the places that have been posted here, but still can't solve. Thanks.

susan1122
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by susan1122 on Dec 17, 08 12:41 PM
Hi Loopy, I had trouble with the gate, too. I think there is a walkthrough up here somewhere. And when I looked at it, I bonked by forehead with my palm. Duh! It seemed easy after I looked at the walkthrough. hahaha. : ) Good luck.

Hey Mic1939, Gamezebo also has a great walkthrough. I've read on this thread there are other ones, too. But I used theirs.

Welcome Blondone!

Edited on 12/17/2008 at 12:48:41 PM PST

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Dec 17, 08 1:54 PM
mlc1939 wrote:Love the game but help,help,help! I'm stuck in Victor's cottage and trying for the life of me to figure out the puzzle in the living room on the door across from the fireplace. I checked with the journal and know it has something to do with the different keys. Since I can't skip this puzzle and can't figure it out, I'm at a standstill. I have checked some of the places that have been posted here, but still can't solve. Thanks.

Hi Mic1939- welcome to the forums!

Go upstairs and look at the framed document- Use the damp cloth to clean it and you will see the sequence for the skulls on the door downstairs

[Post New]by wvrose16 on Dec 17, 08 1:55 PM
Love the MCF games but am having trouble with the puzzle over the fireplace. I've used the two parts that look like what I need to from the journal but it doesn't open and since I can't skip it I'm stuck. HELP!! I want to move on.

[Post New]by Katiebug13 on Dec 17, 08 7:40 PM
This is the best game I've played in a long time, I love this game I've already played it I know more than a dozen times. Keep up the good work, would love to see more games come out like the way this one is done.

gradcat
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by gradcat on Dec 18, 08 12:00 AM
As usual, I'm late doing everything. I should have written this when I had just finished, but I just noticed this section for thoughts today.
As an enormous fan of Big Fish, I must say you have now exceeded my expectations. I play only two types of games (with an exception here or there): Adventure games, which you guys refer to as "Large File," and Hidden Object games. This game, I believe, is absolutely the best of both worlds. It is not a behemoth of a download, but all the artwork, music and characterization can be put on the same level as a NiBiRu, or a Nancy Drew, for example. And what truly makes us adventure-gamer types love the genre is a good story. Well, MCF: Return to Ravenhearst has that in spades. Honestly, my jaw dropped (no cliche--fact!) when I opened this game and began to work through it--it's simply beautiful!! Earlier, someone mentioned the lack of a time clock. I believe adventure gamers like this as well, because with the kind of stunning graphics one sees in a game like Return, who wants to be hurried along? It is sheer pleasure just to take it all in, and we can't do that if we are timed. I know this kind of game takes a lot of work, and you can't do it every month, but I would love to see it more often--what a wonderful gaming experience!
By the by, it's not only these great games that you offer that make Big Fish unique--the support staff is the greatest that I've ever dealt with, and I've dealt with plenty! My emails are answered very quickly, and my live support persons have always gone above and beyond the call of duty. With that in mind, I'd like to give a shout-out to my support buddy Stacy (I hope she's still there)--I haven't needed nearly as much help since I got a new computer--but Stacy is the best!
Again, thanks for the opportunity to have a gaming experience beyond what anyone could have expected!
P.S. I wonder if anyone out there would like my Return to Ravenhurst artwork/plaque? I got it in the Octoberfest promotion, and I really wanted the coffee cup, but I guess I bought too many games. Anyway, I appreciate and all, but I don't really have anywhere for it to go. So if someone wants to write me here--address gradcat--maybe we could figure out a way for me to send it to you,
Great gaming, and Season's Greetings, and Happy New Year!

[Post New]by joy82257 on Dec 18, 08 5:16 AM

prpldva wrote:
wvrose16 wrote:Love the MCF games but am having trouble with the puzzle over the fireplace. I've used the two parts that look like what I need to from the journal but it doesn't open and since I can't skip it I'm stuck. HELP!! I want to move on.

Hi Wvrose! Welcome to the forums!

After you insert the moon and sun, move the symbol that looks like a 76 into the yin-yang slot next to the moon. Nest to the sun, put the swirl, then pull the handle!

[Post New]by joy82257 on Dec 18, 08 5:20 AM
like the game but can't get pass the door with the little man on it and don't know how to get to the grave yard, can you tell me how to do this

[Post New]by joy82257 on Dec 18, 08 5:21 AM
like the game but can't find the grave yard or get through the door in the back yard. can you tell me how

[Post New]by t0mpoes on Dec 18, 08 7:31 AM
I thank you all for this lovely game. I would like to refer to Gradcat, as he or she told my words exactly.
Also regarding the helpdesk. My experience was the same. Did not believe that it was possible this day and age to get a quick and understandable reply.
English is not my native language. Therefor I cannot express myself. But this "Thank you" is the least I can do.

Russinindy
Clownfish
Clownfish
625 Posts

[Post New]by Russinindy on Dec 18, 08 8:40 AM
Great game! My Daughter and I competed to beat each other. She cheated lol. Thank others for the free walk through.

kalrd
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by kalrd on Dec 18, 08 9:58 AM
[i]
this game was alot of fun. i was kinda disappointed when it was over. waiting to play it again. love the carol reed games also. hope to have a new one soon.

bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Dec 18, 08 10:00 AM
Hello Jezebel3705. I wanted to take a moment to interject here. The Mystery Case Files series which includes Huntsville ™, Madame Fate ™, Prime Suspects ™, Ravenhearst ™, and Return to Ravenhearst ™, has always been and always will be a product of Big Fish Games Studios, and are made in-house here at Big Fish Games. It is not MumboJumbo's intellectual property, nor do they sell any Mystery Case Files games on their site. I'm not sure where you go that information, but it is most certainly incorrect.

[Post New]by Quinma on Dec 18, 08 10:20 AM
I thought this was the best game I've played at BFG! I played for two minutes and shut it down to buy it... I love the mix of puzzles and finding and exploring and story. I think we need a new category just for this game, it's the new standard for all games!

Go to: