cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Epic Adventures: La Jangada comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on Feb 5, 10 1:16 AM
Played for half an hour, completing three chapters of 8. This suggests a very short game, an hour and a half or so, if the remaining chapters are similar to the first few.

Graphics are good, H O screens not difficult though some items are small. Items consistent with story, and reasonably placed. Not a junk pile to be found so far.

Music is appropriate to the period, and context, not irritating.

Hints are unlimited, but at least 30 seconds to charge. I haven't needed any.

Puzzles also carefully fit to context, easy by design to this point.

Story is excellent, not too surprising considering the Author is Jules Verne.
Pacing is very slow, not an uncommon characteristic of the books of that period.

Over all, production values are very good, voice acting well done (story is written in first person, so just one voice). Images appear to be hand drawn, and again appropriate to the period and context. It is a nicely illustrated story.

Nicely done, but I am not at all sure there is enough of it to justify a $6.99 investment. I will revisit again if it turns up as a daily deal. 2.8 on my scale of 10.

Edited on 02/05/2010 at 2:22:06 PM PST

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

Re:Epic Adventures: La Jangada comments and reviews

[Post New]by lineck on Feb 5, 10 1:53 AM
Looking at the walkthrough 8 Chapters but 43 levels so it will not be to short for me and looks like worth the 6.99 but I am quite slow I like to read all and take my time so will be a nice interlude on a rainy day or bad TV night.

Cheers
lineck

Edited on 02/05/2010 at 1:53:47 AM PST

[Post New]by briteredlips on Feb 5, 10 1:58 AM
When I first started playing this game, I didn't have much hope. Shortly thereafter, I found it to be very interesting and challenging. Beautiful graphics, rechargeable hints, no timer. Seems to me to be a little different from the usual games I have been playing lately. Just enough interaction to make me happy, and while some of the items are a little hard to find, it provides the right amount of challenge, without driving me crazy. All in all, I have to give a big Thumbs Up . I will also be buying this game, I think it is worth the credit.

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Feb 5, 10 2:11 AM
I love the story line and the graphics. The objects are appropriately placed and putting objects in their proper place is a nice change from most HOGs. The music is not intrusive...actually I don't even notice the music except between puzzles...maybe there isn't any? 99% of the time I turn the music off after 2 minutes of play, so it must be ok!

I wonder about the length too. after 32 minutes (including reading all of the dialogue...the voice is lovely btw), I'm at the wedding.

I'll keep playing and hoping it will be longer before I use my credit. I'm a miser with my credits!! The game has to be long, interesting and has at least some replayability.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Feb 5, 10 2:51 AM
The roses with romantic notes aggrivated my gag reflex, but I stuck with the story and am now hooked. I'll buy it. Usually, I play a chapter of one game before going to the next but I believe I will play this one straight through like a book one doesn't want to put down.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Feb 5, 10 4:38 AM
I finished the whole game in 2 1/2 hours. I feel it started as a very promising and interesting iHOG, but towards the end just became more basic **** screens. Ended rather abruptly too.
Super graphics and the howling wolves had my pack of 6 Afghan hounds joining in which was funny!
An ok game and just about worth the money. It was strange how it went from interactive scenes to no interaction at all though!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 5, 10 4:50 AM
Its an okay hog game, but not very long I guess. I don`t buy it for $7, but I would buy it as a Daily Deal for sure.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Feb 5, 10 5:41 AM
Same here. Just not my cup of tea. Would buy as a DD.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Feb 5, 10 5:44 AM
Realy enjoying the Game no need to repeat what has been said, but for nothing else but to get the end of the story I have to buy.

Cheers
lineck

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Feb 5, 10 6:36 AM
WOW are y'all manic? This is not a short game. I was greedy & demo'd 2x & it let me pick up where I left off. I still have 3 of 6 boxes left to puzzle out (had none when I began 2nd hr) & they're nowhere near solving the mystery yet. I'd guesstimate another hr to get thru the other 3 boxes & then additional time to wrap up at the least.

The HOs seem to get harder & harder as you go along, so it was very challenging. Hint reloaded pretty fast & unlimited.....which is good when one is looking for shrooms & berries to treat snakebite in the middle of the night in the jungle. Whoever did that scene was a sadist who secretly despises HOGgers ROFL Minigames weren't skippable; they weren't tough, but some of them were time-consuming w/ lots of sm pieces to put together or arrange. Storyline was excellent from the word go (& speaking of Jules Verne, there's supposed to be another Around the World in 80 Days coming out soon, only this one's a HOG not a Match-3). Man, I want to vacation in style like these folks! One cool boat. The voice acting was very good & you could skip ahead if you read faster than they talked (did you guys who finished so quick ignore the story?), but I think the devs forgot the salient detail that in Brazil they don't speak British but Portuguese & it could easily have been done w/ that accent.

This would've been more awesome than good if some of the graphix didn't make me cringe & wonder how many days they got to play in Photoshop b4 creating them. I hate those flat-eyed, devoid of expression Poser-like characters. That was my one complaint against Vampire Saga as well. The HOs scenes were a little better done but still needed polishing to be less grainy. If the guys who drew Dire Grove had done this it'd be a spectacular gaming experience. Don't know why some devs choose to skimp on graphix when this is almost a totally visual medium. I mean, I've seen way worse, but everything else was above average & I felt the graphix brought it down somewhat in the end.

Still gotta love this HOG trend of using literary classics we've been seeing of late!

stupidanacrox
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by stupidanacrox on Feb 5, 10 8:31 AM
i like this game, at the begining i was thinking it was an Harlequin's novel LOL.
Sorry Verne It's a good graphic game, i like this kind of hints and have a good story (maybe a too long talk for who don't like this type of game).
I think i'll take this game i'm gonna search this book before buy it Good game a one for me

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Feb 5, 10 8:46 AM
Is it a straight HOG or interactive?

Shastac2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by Shastac2 on Feb 5, 10 8:48 AM
I really like reading the comments before I even download a game! So many different takes on the same game. Thank you all for taking the time to write these reviews for us!!!

shastac2

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Feb 5, 10 9:07 AM
Liked the game. A lot of talking, but voice was so pleasant and, of course, you could skip through. Got hung up trying to find hammer at wedding scene not realizing that the hint was showing me where it was all along, so wasted a lot of time due to my own stupidity.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Feb 5, 10 9:16 AM
It looks as though I am in the minority here, I was bored to tears. Anyone with visual problems will have a problem finding some objects, since many are very small and very well hidden. I am also not too keen on game makers that insist on putting objects at the very edge where you can only see a little part of it. I had to do alot of guessing of objects due to their size. Sorry folks, I won't be buying. Off to find a game to get me through the incoming snow storm. Stay warm fishies and enjoy your weekend!

[Post New]by Marniem on Feb 5, 10 9:36 AM
I must have been playing a different game from most of you! I found this one frustrating, with many tiny, vague objects that were impossible to identify. "There are symbols everywhere you look." No, not really! I gave up and uninstalled it before my demo hour was up.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Feb 5, 10 10:12 AM
I played this game some where else , couldn't tell you where , it didn't have any redeeming quality then , & it doesn't do a thing for me now ..Would of been a really "GOOD game day " for those of us who are preparing to be snow bound ..but I'm getting used to this dry spell ..I don't even expect a new game every day anymore ,like mom used to say,,", wish in one hand & $#%& in the other "..cheers anyway

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Feb 5, 10 11:05 AM
I played the demo of this elsewhere, and posted a review here at the time. I did have technical problems with it, and hopefully those have been resolved by now. (Or maybe it was just my computer, which was dying.)

Anyhow, I thought it was a very nice game, and will probably be buying it, if it plays okay. It is a slow, leisurely game, and beautiful to look at. I thought the graphics were quite good, and liked the soundtrack. It definitely has a Victorian era feel to it. And the story grabbed me right away.

No junkpiles, items are period correct and no velcro. Not overly difficult, which is a minus for me, but still worth playing for the sheer beauty and story. By the end of my demo, I had just gotten on the ship, so for me, it will not be too short.

[Post New]by magicnsmoke on Feb 5, 10 11:48 AM
I was not fond of this game I uninstalled it after only 16 min of play maybe try again another day, when I'm feeling more optimistic about it.

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Feb 5, 10 11:54 AM
Is the heroine supposed to be cross-eyed?

I have got nothing against anyone with a squint, but I would be surprised if it was supposed to be there, unless it is part of the story?

have a look at the beginning of the video.........

Go to: