1 Penguin 100 Cases

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

1 Penguin 100 Cases

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Feb 6, 10 12:05 AM
Oh no! Pengoo's alarm clock didn't go off and he didn't hatch in time! Journey with Pengoo the penguin inside a fishing net to New Zealand, and stick with him as he struggles to find his way back home. Surprises are in store as Pengoo meets up with colorful characters and mystical creatures, each with their own problems. Solve mind-bending puzzles and kooky conundrums in this charming Hidden Object game!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:1 Penguin 100 Cases

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 6, 10 2:14 AM
I'll just repeat my earlier post about this game in the hope that more people see it.

There is a soft release of a game called ... 1 Penguin - 100 cases ... out today and I have already bought it after 17 minutes. It is an IHOG.

It is a cartoon style game that is about a penguin who is still inside his egg and you have to get him to hatch. The first case is finding the parts of the alarm clock and this is one of the games where you can look and see nothing and you keep looking and then you suddenly find a number here and a number there. Some things are hidden behind other objects which move to the side when clicked.

Once you have found all the numbers and hands you have to put it back together and then put the gears in position.

The only drawback is that you are only given 3 things to find at a time and needless to say that the numbers I found were not on the list at the time I found them so it is no good jumping the gun and clicking on them until they appear on your list of things to find.

I think this is a really cute game so don't expect to see me in the Pond much today.

Enjoy.

JetFairy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by JetFairy on Feb 6, 10 2:30 AM
I thought this game was brilliant. Usually, cartoon based HOGs are really difficult due to artists interpretations of objects, but not this one. Just difficult enough to stay interesting, but not too difficult that younger players would struggle. Although some items are small or hidden behind other objects. The gameplay is unique, surreal in places and utterly addictive. The story is a tad meandering but characters and plot really make up for it. The animation is good, HOG parts are different than the norm and intersecting puzzles are really interesting and fun to do. The game is also quite long. As soon as I thought the little penguin was on his way home, up popped another task, so great value for money. So if you're still a child at heart, are up for a bit of surreal fun and would like to meet a dog called Noodles, help a film star elephant or dress a naked old turtle lady under the sea, then this game is for you. Definately a keeper for me and my guilty little pleasure.

[Post New]by Clematis_es on Feb 6, 10 2:49 AM
I suscribe the opinions in the 2 earlier posts plus: Given the graphics and the simplicity of the first tasks, I did think it was a game best suited for children. Great mistake! My congratulations! I am hooked and I think I am buying it. Ah, children are welcome to try their hand at it.

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Feb 6, 10 2:55 AM
Thank you sooooooo much cherbtoo for bringing this game to my attention. Pengoo travels here to New Zealand?? Gotta see this....

jenoz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by jenoz on Feb 6, 10 3:38 AM
Loving it - nice change from all the other dark mysterious HOGs around, Loads of puzzles, definitely going to buy this one

sam1950
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,486 Posts

[Post New]by sam1950 on Feb 6, 10 3:45 AM
When i first tried this i thought it was for small children how wrong i was.finding it intresting and fun to play

Edited on 02/06/2010 at 3:46:57 AM PST

Calimero8
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Calimero8 on Feb 6, 10 3:46 AM
Bought the game, but it doesn't want to start. :s
when I try to start it, the monitor goes black a few seconds, then I get the game manager saying: thank you for playing the game.
Somehow the game doesn't want to start.

shoelesshs
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by shoelesshs on Feb 6, 10 5:50 AM
My review after 1 hour demo:

Level: Easy. Not insanely easy, but fairly easy, with hints provided and no clicking penalties. I made it to the mousetrap level by the end of one hour.

Playability: Good. A bit picky when clicking on small items or placing puzzle pieces, but no major technical issues.

Hints: Refillable timer; takes about 1 minute or so to refill.

Clicking penalty: None. In most cases, you are encouraged to randomly click to find hidden items.

Likes: Cute story (also tired of the dark, mystery cases); lots of variety in mini games and in searches. Can skip mini games (eventually) if you don't want to play. Can click through the dialog if you wish.

Dislikes: Story is a bit disjointed and rambling; skip meter fills too slowly. Would also like hint meter to fill a bit faster, but I'm impatient Do not like cockroaches, no matter how "cute" they are drawn. Can only find 3 things on the list at a time - would like to see the whole list.

Recommendations: Just follow the onscreen directions. It's fairly straight-forward with lots of help. Safe for kids, as far as I can tell.

Will I buy it? Maybe, maybe not. My kids love penguins and would find this game cute. I am concerned I would get bored with it too easily. I have bought similar games (Christmasville, for example), and once you play through the first time, that's it. Repeating the game is just the same thing over again with no new searches. Not sure if this would be the same way. There's also the cockroach thing...yuck! Will seriously consider if it drops to $2.99.

JetFairy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by JetFairy on Feb 6, 10 6:06 AM
Calimero8 wrote:Bought the game, but it doesn't want to start. :s
when I try to start it, the monitor goes black a few seconds, then I get the game manager saying: thank you for playing the game.
Somehow the game doesn't want to start.

Hi Calimero8!
I experienced the same problem, but finally I resolved it after I reboot my computer.
I think it was not the game problem but BFG games' manager.

[Post New]by WhiteYeti on Feb 6, 10 6:24 AM
This game is tops, totally original ideas. I can honestly say this was a one of a kind HOG. I love story of the game, the voice acting was tops, I love Pengoo, And the music couldn't be beat. How the music changed for every task Pengoo had to do. I could see the work these guys put into this game. This game is definitely worth the stars I put up and a 10/10. Keep it up guys. You rock!!!

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Feb 6, 10 7:14 AM
I downloaded it as soon as I got to Bf...haven't played it yet but wanted to ask (since I've seen these 2 words before), what do you, (those that use these words lol), mean when you say, "Soft Release"? maybe I'm having a "duh" moment but can't figure it out so thought I might as well ask.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Feb 6, 10 7:21 AM
Cyndihugs

A soft release is a new gane that does not get promoted as the game of the day.
They appear on the left hand side on the home page. If all you check if the TTD (tomorrow's game today) you miss them. Not sure why BFG does this.

That said...

Everyone is different. I played for about 1/2 hour - until I started to look for eggshell pieces - I did not like this at all.

I don't usually like cartoony graphics but gave it a try because other fishies seemed to like it. But as soon as we got to Lilu with her womanly figure I knew it was time to delete it.

BFG is really tops at providing something for everyone.

Happy Gaming.

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Feb 6, 10 7:51 AM
Thanks Jess for info on 'soft release'... I see everything on the home page, newsletter....lol and anywhere else my eyes can go. LOL

Have a great week end and getting ready to go play this game in a few minutes, just as soon as I take my pain med. lol

[trying my best to melt snow and bring heat to those that need it!] lol

Calimero8
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Calimero8 on Feb 6, 10 8:04 AM
Hi Calimero8!
I experienced the same problem, but finally I resolved it after I reboot my computer.
I think it was not the game problem but BFG games' manager.

Thank you for your advice, but although I restarted my computer, the problem is still the same.

[Post New]by goodyear1998 on Feb 6, 10 8:38 AM
i am definatly in the minority here. love HOG games and sometimes the sillier the better! but i'm afraid I just did not like this one at all. Got as far as the school then decided its not for me.

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Feb 6, 10 8:45 AM
I was looking after my 5 yr old grandson today so downloaded it. We played the full 60 mins of demo and he was quite upset when the time ran out. But he would not be able to play it by himself so have suggested his mum loads it onto their computer. If he still likes it after playing for another hour I will buy it Not sure if I would play it myself - got a bit fed up with cracking that eggshell open.

Edited on 02/06/2010 at 8:46:10 AM PST

ykempy
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by ykempy on Feb 6, 10 9:02 AM
I cannot play the game either. get the message "mode not supported" when I try to launch it.

[Post New]by WhiteSnow01 on Feb 6, 10 10:13 AM
This game was totaly awesome...I thought in the begining it was a "childs" game but then after playing it for a good time frame I began loving it more and more! I guess it brings the child out in you! The graphics were fantasic the music was "fun" and the tasks were pretty easy yet hard enough to use the hint sometimes and think...all in all I give this game a 10. I think those players who liked the game - they did not lose the "Kid" in themselves! (As sad as it sounds!) I also liked the fact that this game takes hours to play, totally keeps you busy which is what HOG's are suppose to do! It is very well worth buying...and worth playing again and again ...Its a keeper of HOG's no doubt about it!

[Post New]by AliceGreat on Feb 6, 10 10:29 AM
I liked this game very much. I have never seen such graphics before, though it seemd more cartoonish. The music is cool, I liked the main theme very much. Puzzles are very interesting!!! And characters are funny. I will buy this one for me and my friend for sure. The price is cool for this game!

Go to: