cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera comments and reviews

[Post New]by cche on Feb 7, 10 2:06 AM
Played for 50 minutes, solving several puzzles and about 10 H O screens. reaching somewhere mid-chapter 2 of 7.

Graphics are good, but a bit dark, hidden objects screens are generally moderate. At least one glitch, an oval blur named as a lady statue, when there is actually a real (large) lady statue in the picture. Had to take a hint. Not sure how that got past Beta test.

Music is a little eerie, and not long loops, you will probably turn it down pretty soon. I did.

It seems that considerable effort was put into the story and voice acting. It shows, though it is not enough to overcome the sense that the game was rushed to market.

Interactive puzzles are pretty good, so far, though not entirely logical. There are items to be found in very unlikely places.

Hints recharge quickly, but I didn't use many, as I didn't find the play or search tedious; I just spent a little more time. Good work designer!

Over all, I am pleased with the game, and will likely spend my 6.99 for it. 5.5 on my scale of 10

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

Re:Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera comments and reviews

[Post New]by minxs on Feb 7, 10 4:39 AM
I liked the music, especially that one haunting, sort of questioning tune that features a violin and some other instrument I couldn't figure out -- not a guitar, but sounding a bit like one being plucked.

I was playing the game just now with my DH in a dead, snoring sleep beside me and woke him up to ask him what that instrument might be (he goes back to sleep very easily, so this isn't as cruel as it sounds). He's a musician (not by profession, just by love -- i.e. amateur.).

He said it was a "cimbalom".. He added that the cimbalom is struck, like a piano or hammered dulcimer, not plucked. .

I mentioned that the game was probably made in eastern Europe, and he said "Oh, well, that makes perfect sense, because the cimbalom is Hungarian." And then turned over and went back to sleep.

I looked on Wiki and the cimbalom is "commonly found throughout the group of East European nations and cultures which composed Austria-Hungary (1867–1918), namely contemporary Hungary, Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. The cimbalom is (typically) played by striking two beaters against the strings."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbalom

That sort of impressed me -- that the developers were apparently having music composed for the game using a local folk instrument.

(I wasn't surprised that DH could wake out of a deep sleep and identify an instrument because musicians are scary-savant that way. He can identify almost any instrument and any composition, right down to the orchestra and conductor and the year they are playing, when applicable. It is fairly impressive too, though.)

Freter
Herring
Herring
316 Posts

[Post New]by Freter on Feb 7, 10 9:45 AM
wow minxs,

This just adds so much more depth to the game experience. I had a feeling that the game took place somewhere in Europe, and the your post about the cimbalom insturment confirms it for me.

Thank you for this information.

ps. I just got goosebumps

[Post New]by momofbling on Feb 7, 10 9:54 AM
This was a great game. It was well balanced as far as some parts being easy and others a little harder. Graphics were well designed and the music matched the game very well. I did have some problems at the end of the game with the graphics. I never got to see the endI love these types of games!!!!

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Mar 11, 10 12:38 AM
bump for mac users

Go to: