Volauvent
Manatee
Manatee
3,757 Posts

What, where, why, and how to use a walkthrough

[Post New]by Volauvent on Feb 7, 10 7:50 AM
Walkthroughs are for everybody - new and experienced gamers alike.

What:

A walkthrough is a play-by-play description of the game. Some have detailed pictures of each scene (these are called graphic screen shots) with an explanation, some have no graphics but excellent explanations of what to do and how to do it, and some only have very direct hints.

Writing a walkthrough is very time-consuming. It means taking copious notes of each move and double checking the text to ensure it will be understood by one and all. My hat's off to all walkthrough authors.

Long time gamers don't always require a highly detailed walkthrough, but a particularly well-designed game may send even the most experienced gamer out to find the best walkthrough possible.

Where

BigFish Games often has a screen shot walkthrough with explanations in the forum. If so, the link to the walkthrough can be found on the game's description page, just below the video and just above the sample screen shots.

If there is no walkthrough link, search [name of game] walkthrough. That's what we've all been doing with Syberia, and there are indeed a few dynamite Syberia walkthroughs out there on the 'net.

Why

A well-designed and clever game can be very frustrating until you start to understand the way the designers think.

In order to do that, you have to work your way through several scenes. Getting stuck from the get-go or reaching another point further in that you can't figure out can ruin the entire game and make you feel you've wasted your money. This is particularly disappointing when you've spent a lot of money on the game and viewed it with great anticipation.

This is where the walkthrough comes in. It gets you past the sticky spots.

How to use a walkthrough

If you are new to gaming or to a particular type of game, don't feel bad about referring to the walkthrough for every scene. We've all been there and done that.

As you move through the game, and other games, you will find you need the walkthrough less and less until you reach a point where most of the time, a mere glance at the explanation will lead you in the right direction.

Oh yeah, there's a certain pride in being able to ignore the walkthrough, but don't be fooled. There's always a game on the market that simply cannot be solved at some level without the wonderful assistance of a great walkthrough author.

Vol au vent

llstjohn
Flounder
Flounder
2,487 Posts

Re:What, where, why, and how to use a walkthrough

[Post New]by llstjohn on Feb 20, 10 12:43 PM
This is really a nice and helpful post. And you are right about someone needing a walkthrough at some point in some of the games. Case in point--this one. The first place you go has a small pyramid with 4 cobra-headed levers at its base. The levers have to be pulled in an exact sequence using the numbers 1-4 for a total of 33 times. I guess you could eventually figure out the right sequence but it would take a long while. Unless you already knew the what symbol on the scroll equals what number you might be here awhile. One thing that I am having a problem with and I do not see an explanation of what to do in this case, at the end of the game, when I go back to Gil's tent to get the card for Santorini Island, I see a stack of letters on the desk but I cannot read them to get the card to give Hump. I am very close to finishing the game and have done everything I can think of to trigger the card. Any suggestions?

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 12:44:58 PM PST

Volauvent
Manatee
Manatee
3,757 Posts

Re:What, where, why, and how to use a walkthrough

[Post New]by Volauvent on Feb 23, 10 8:45 PM
I haven't gotten as far as you, but I've seen the same complaint elsewhere in this forum.

I have a sneaky suspicion the glitch is one of the reasons there are so few posts here.

Go to: