A little help on just that first level please!

[Post New]by Healer4the1 on Feb 7, 10 12:38 PM
I played the tutorials. I read the manuals. I can't seem to locate the supplies to make that doggone palm computer, much less sell it! I go bankrupt in a few minutes even trying. What am I missing? Thanks!

Branes
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

Re:A little help on just that first level please!

[Post New]by Branes on Nov 5, 10 6:17 AM
You're not missing anything. You have to build the mines to make the components to manufacture the parts to build the palm. It's ridiculous! You have to start with Electronic components which requires: Silicon, Steel and Chemicals. Steel needs two components, iron ore and coal. Silicon is manufactured by silica. The CPU is made from silicon. Plastic is made from oil requiring an oil well.
Palm is composed of a CPU, Plastic and Electronic component.

Early on, some of the components like Plastic and the Cpu and even the Electronic Component sometimes, are available from the seaports but they run out fairly quickly, leaving you having to build your own mines to continue the supply, which leads quickly to bankruptcy.

So, to build ONE lousy product you need:

Silica mine for silicon to make the CPU
Oil Well for Plastic
Chemical Mine for the Electronic Component
Iron Ore mine for Steel for the Electronic Component
Coal mine for Steel
And factories to manufacture the above materials,
and a factory to manufacture the Palm.

(continued below)

Branes
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Branes on Nov 5, 10 6:19 AM
And all of them have to be internal sale only so that your competitors don't have access to the materials to build their own Palms.
And all of them suck money worse than an ex-wife who lives at Bloomingdales.

Oh, and a retail store to sell the thing in.

The upside is that once you have the Palm it sells like crazy, as well as any other computer products you make and sell.

Once you have all these mines in place, you can completely dominate, not only the computer market, but the entire Electronics market as well because you have the only source of Electronic Components.

The Key, as I see it, is to control the chemicals. If you control the flow of chemicals, nobody can make Electronic components. And without them, no computers or electronic devices. However, Chemical materials are available from the seaport for a while.

In over 10 attempts, I have yet to survive past 5 years.
I've tried starting out doing only retail to build up the business, but the competition in Rome is impossible, and the items available in Sydney don't sell well. And once you start a retail store there, everyone else gets in on the action and you get swamped by competition. AND they start buying up the mines.

One strategy I tried was buying the chemical mines and buying plastic to make bath and cosmetic items. Then let the others buy them as well which helps the mines and factories pay for themselves. But the supply/demand/sales system in this campaign is 10 times harder than the tutorial campaign.

No matter what strategy I use, I end up hemorrhaging cash until I'm bankrupt.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to win this scenario because the deck is completely stacked against you. Retail continually loses money and you MUST build mines and factories which suck your profit..it's a no win scenario.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 7:05:45 AM PST

[Post New]by amcgreagor on Mar 5, 11 6:28 AM
You can in fact win through buying stocks, there is one company that will over quadruple in about 1 or 2 years, this should give the 100mil you need to set up the mines factories and stores.

Branes
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Branes on Aug 21, 11 3:14 PM
Thanks. I actually did that, and you're right, you can make a couple hundred million in nothing flat. Then you have the capital ot build your electronic monopoly.

Go to: