mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

graphics lag on some mini-games

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Feb 7, 10 9:15 PM
I'm ready to throw in the towel. I didn't see any other posts regarding this issue so perhaps it's just me. Here goes ...

I've been having issues with some of the recent larger file games such as Dire Grove and MRM and was told by a BFG tech that my graphics card probably had inadequate memory for some of these larger file games. My vid card had 256mb which was standard for an off-the-shelf computer that's a few years old. So, I dropped the money and took my computer in and had a 1G gaming card installed as well as an additional 2GB of RAM (4GB total). I have 3g dual core processing and my machine was checked out and everything is running as should be.

I was so excited when this game came out and sat down to play without a care in the world. Well, this didn't happen.

While I had no issues with the game itself, I did have issues with several of the mini-games that had a lot of graphics going on such as the bug game and the race. It's like my FPS drops to zero and I have no control over my cursor and the screen is jerking from one position to the next. I was completely unable to play these mini-games.

I realize that we gamers are always screaming for bigger and better games but if I can't run these games on a computer built for gaming, then how does the average Joe play them? I play numerous large MMO's such as Warcraft and have no issues at all. I realize that a large, single file game that is flash heavy is different than an MMO, but this computer should be MORE than adequate to handle anything BFG has to offer.

I did write BFG tech support and sent them a Dr. Felix file so we'll see what they have to say. I can tell you I am hugely disappointed that once again, I got more frustration than enjoyment out of the game. It's just no fun sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for the next thing to go wrong I wish the game requirements were more specific. They really don't address video card requirements.

As for the game itself, even though it's a basic HOG, it does have elements that most HOGs do not have, the graphics make you feel like you've stepped into Tim Burton's head, and I found the game itself thoroughly enjoyable (except for the mini-game issue).

On the bright side, BFG is always helpful and concerned. I couldn't ask for better tech support. I just wish I could play the games without having to spend $5000 on a true gaming rig

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

Re:graphics lag on some mini-games

[Post New]by dvdiva on Feb 7, 10 9:51 PM
I feel your pain. But perhaps it wasn't a hardware issue in the first place? My gaming computer is hardly a workhorse, and isn't new, but it runs all the games perfectly, without a lag or hiccup. I've never experienced any technical problems whatsoever, among the hundreds of games I've tried or played. Maybe I'm just lucky. My setup is an Acer Aspire x1200, a budget computer that set me back only $400. My specs are: AMD Athlon 64x2 CPU 5600+, 1GB DDR2 memory, 160GB drive, Nvidia GeForce8200, running Windows Vista. No problems with the game not saving progress, or issues about inventory items not appearing on the scene, or a game suddenly crashing or refusing to start or install -- nada, and it's fast, really fast. I just my sturdy little machine. Maybe bigger isn't necessarily better?

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Feb 8, 10 8:16 AM
My computer isn't all that grand...just a typical off-the-shelf computer that's a few years old that I've upgraded . I'm not sure what the graphics issue is since I only get these errors while playing certain BFG games. I'm ready to pull my hair out! I can understand why a lot of the games wouldn't play with my old video card. It was sorely lacking in available memory. But the new card should be more than adequate.

Nothing on my computer is overclocked, everything is set for optimal performance, and everything else I play seems to work perfectly. I still believe it's a flash issue. Perhaps I need to update java or adobe or something. AHHHHHH!

I haven't yet heard anything from BFG tech support but I am sure they'll have some suggestions.

ps - the game itself played fine. It was just the few mini-games that were graphics heavy...lots of things moving and effects happening at the same time. Hopefully something a tech can help me fix as I'm done putting money into this computer

Edited on 02/08/2010 at 8:24:59 AM PST

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Feb 8, 10 11:18 AM
mintjulelip wrote:My computer isn't all that grand...just a typical off-the-shelf computer that's a few years old that I've upgraded . I'm not sure what the graphics issue is since I only get these errors while playing certain BFG games. I'm ready to pull my hair out! I can understand why a lot of the games wouldn't play with my old video card. It was sorely lacking in available memory. But the new card should be more than adequate.

Nothing on my computer is overclocked, everything is set for optimal performance, and everything else I play seems to work perfectly. I still believe it's a flash issue. Perhaps I need to update java or adobe or something. AHHHHHH!

I haven't yet heard anything from BFG tech support but I am sure they'll have some suggestions.

ps - the game itself played fine. It was just the few mini-games that were graphics heavy...lots of things moving and effects happening at the same time. Hopefully something a tech can help me fix as I'm done putting money into this computer

Ah, I didn't see this before I posted above you. Please let me know if they are able to resolve this for you, as I am having the same problem. I don't won't a game I can't finish.
Thanks..

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Feb 8, 10 11:35 AM
dewieee wrote:
mintjulelip wrote:My computer isn't all that grand...just a typical off-the-shelf computer that's a few years old that I've upgraded . I'm not sure what the graphics issue is since I only get these errors while playing certain BFG games. I'm ready to pull my hair out! I can understand why a lot of the games wouldn't play with my old video card. It was sorely lacking in available memory. But the new card should be more than adequate.

Ah, I didn't see this before I posted above you. Please let me know if they are able to resolve this for you, as I am having the same problem. I don't won't a game I can't finish.
Thanks..

I actually got a PM from the game developer. I was amazed! I've never had a developer write me before about a game issue. They are super nice and they are checking to see if there is an issue with my computer or the game.

I was able to play the entire game with the exception of some of the mini-games. The game itself played flawlessly. I absolutely LOVED the game. I could NOT stop playing it and got way more than the normal "couple of hours" worth the play time from it.

Even without being able to play the few mini-games, I would recommend the game. The story is cool, the graphics are stunning, and the whole game seems to flow nicely. I hope they come out with more games like this!

If I get a solution from either BFG or Virtual Prophecy, I'll let you know.

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Feb 8, 10 12:30 PM

I actually got a PM from the game developer. I was amazed! I've never had a developer write me before about a game issue. They are super nice and they are checking to see if there is an issue with my computer or the game.

I was able to play the entire game with the exception of some of the mini-games. The game itself played flawlessly. I absolutely LOVED the game. I could NOT stop playing it and got way more than the normal "couple of hours" worth the play time from it.

Even without being able to play the few mini-games, I would recommend the game. The story is cool, the graphics are stunning, and the whole game seems to flow nicely. I hope they come out with more games like this!

If I get a solution from either BFG or Virtual Prophecy, I'll let you know.

Thanks, I'm enjoying the game as well, but am striving to get gold in all the mini-games to unlock the secret award. I can't do that if I can't play the mini-game.. I've written them as well, will see what happens.

Edited on 02/08/2010 at 12:33:13 PM PST

Solgud
Herring
Herring
311 Posts

[Post New]by Solgud on Feb 10, 10 6:01 PM
I have the same problem!! The game played fine except for the bug game and the race. There it behaved exactly as you described it, jumpy and the mouse doesn´t work. I´m playing on a lap top. Haven´t had problems with other games and I play a lot. Both big fish and warcraft.
Please keep me posted!

Sage103082
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,562 Posts

[Post New]by Sage103082 on Feb 12, 10 8:25 AM
For me it was just the bug mini game. It drove me nuts. I was able to get a little less lag by putting it into windowed mode and hiting Esc everytime it started to lag, when the i returned to game it would play fine for a couple seconds and then lag again.

fluffitude
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by fluffitude on Feb 19, 10 1:03 PM
I can pretty much guarantee it's not your computer. I also have a new gaming machine that ran warhammer, WoW and Champions without a hitch.

Ever hear anything back?

boojunior
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by boojunior on Feb 20, 10 4:28 PM
same here. if we do not get the gold on every mini game, will we still be able to play the final locked mini game? as far as i know, it says you have to get GOLD on every mini game so you can unlock the final. that will not be fair if we can not play the other ones for gold.

teawren
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by teawren on Feb 22, 10 5:54 PM
any update on the resolution of this problem?

i've just discovered this game and adore it but cannot play the same two minigames that mintjulelip is having trouble with - i'd love to be able to kill some bugs and race my car but the game just won't let me

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Feb 22, 10 6:16 PM
boojunior wrote:same here. if we do not get the gold on every mini game, will we still be able to play the final locked mini game? as far as i know, it says you have to get GOLD on every mini game so you can unlock the final. that will not be fair if we can not play the other ones for gold.

Don't worry about not achieving all the golds. The reward is not a mini-game. With each silver or gold trophy, you unlock a bonus artwork/poster, so that's 8 in all, and if you get all 8 gold trophies, you unlock the final reward, which is also a bonus artwork/poster. So don't feel bad if you don't get it. The game is complete in itself. You don't lose out on anything by not unlocking the reward.

[Post New]by jod_joshua on Feb 27, 10 4:59 AM
I am having the same problems with lagging in the minigames . The ending of the game also lagged. It got that bad that I had to crl, alt + del in order to shut off the game! I am also having problems with the voices of the characters. They are working and then not working.My computer is not the top of the range, but I don't usually have problems with BFG games. Has anyone found a solution to the little problem yet? Otherwise, I would recommend this game to everyone, as it is reallllly fun to play.

[Post New]by GoneFishing on Mar 9, 10 7:20 AM
Same problem, any news on that yet?

[Post New]by Tootsn2clnlj on Mar 26, 10 4:17 PM
I actually bought this game through another site and also had the same trouble with the bug game and race, so it's not BFG. I think this is a great game site!
It's a problem in the game but like others said, this is a really good game!! Played it right after Vampireville, which had everything we've asked for in a HOG!

Go to: