SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Finally finished it on Hard Difficulty!

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jun 30, 16 6:25 AM
After having the PC version of this game since its release at BFG I finally beat it on Hard...what a project! Paradoxically, the hardest section of the game in Hard was around days 50-75. Later on, some of the boards were really easy where it only took one try to get through, but days 97, 103, and 106 were killers that took 30 or more attempts and I think it was a matter of luck in the end that I got past them! I tried Nightmare mode too, but it took 5 tries to beat day 1 and day 2 didn't look any better so I gave it up at that point.

If anyone is still playing, here's some general tips for what worked for me:

-Most useful powerup is enchanted fireflies...many times, whether or not you win is if you get the fireflies at the right time.

-The other powerups I used were spark blast, marching light, orb of decay, color blast, and frost ray for the majority of the levels. If I got stuck, sometimes switching to the backwards (reverse orbs) and/or purple blaze powerups would get me through.

-Holding down the left mouse button gives you a guideline pointer for you to better aim your shots (particularly useful for working around turns or aiming the frost ray to hit the most marbles).

-The game scrambles the marbles a LOT in Hard and Nightmare modes. You have to resist the urge to try setting up future matches everywhere and focus on getting just 3 matches in a row as much as possible to keep getting powerups (even if that means giving up a chain reaction setup), because your powerups will keep you alive.

-Make sure your cursor is positioned a bit higher in the screen if you are trying to work close to the holes because otherwise the shooter will just start switching the marbles around on it instead of firing. I wish the developer had removed this feature which they'd brought in from Sparkle 2.

-This game doesn't help you out like the Luxor games do (in the Luxor series, you get the colors you need when marbles are close to the hole often by right clicking), so if you must decide between using your powerup farther back or using it on a chain close to the hole, use it on the marbles closest to the hole.

-Some levels just seem to be out to get you and will take a LOT of tries to get past no matter what. Keep trying!

Edited on 06/30/2016 at 7:04:12 AM PST

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:Finally finished it on Hard Difficulty!

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jun 30, 16 6:39 AM
-If there is only 1 colored marble left on a chain and you get the fireflies, the fireflies will automatically clear that marble for you. However, fireflies will NOT pop the stones so you need to make sure you're either putting marbles around the stones and popping those to clear the stones, or else use the orb of decay, frost ray or purple blaze to remove stones.

-Multiple stones in a row are a real pain in higher difficulty levels. You have to put 2 of the same color in between a pair of stones and pop that so you can clear 2 stones together as much as you can...and hope to get lucky enough with your powerups to get through...

-Remember that the frost ray goes all the way across the screen and will clear any marbles in its path, so aim it where the track curves a lot and you can clear almost all of a chain in some cases. Or if you have a chain close to the hole, try to time it where you get the chain near the hole plus some of the chain(s) farther back.

-If you are stuck on a double track level, the backwards powerup is more useful than marching light, because the marching light gets split between both tracks so only works half as well.

-Spark blast is best aimed on straight sections of the track.

If anyone has finished the PC game on Nightmare, you have my eternal respect!!!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:Finally finished it on Hard Difficulty!

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jun 30, 16 6:57 AM
Seriously annoying part of the game: If the marbles have started going down the hole, you're pretty much out of luck. Even if you get the backwards powerup when this happens, you're still going to lose the level. Also if there is a marble that was pushed into the hole and just sitting there when the rest of the chain backs up you'll lose if you don't pull that marble out with a "mini reverse" move ASAP. Argh!

Go to: