RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

Disability Alert

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Jun 30, 16 10:05 AM
Yet again a game that involves holding down the mouse button while traversing a wiggly line, any touching of the sides means you have to go back to the beginning.

Why won't devs listen, there are those of us which disabilities that find these puzzles impossible to do, just taking away the mouse button having to be pressed down would be a start.

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

Re:Disability Alert

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Jun 30, 16 10:42 AM
Hi RainbowElf,

I wanted to pop in here and let you and all the rest of our players know that we greatly appreciate it when someone takes the time to post their gameplay experiences and suggestions improving them on the forums. The Moderation Team will definitely pass along the content of this thread to the appropriate teams and advocate for the players.

Thank you for letting us know of your gaming experiences and how they could be improved!

bfgIlinalta

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

Disability Alert

[Post New]by shripch on Jun 30, 16 3:37 PM
RainbowElf wrote: Yet again a game that involves holding down the mouse button while traversing a wiggly line, any touching of the sides means you have to go back to the beginning.

Why won't devs listen, there are those of us which disabilities that find these puzzles impossible to do, just taking away the mouse button having to be pressed down would be a start.

While I don't have a disability that prevents me from nailing those kinds of "puzzles", I find them annoying because my touch mouse just doesn't do them well. I skip them 100% of the time! And frankly they're just a lazy way to put in a "puzzle"! Skip the things and don't feel bad

judithg315
Herring
Herring
371 Posts

[Post New]by judithg315 on Jun 30, 16 5:46 PM
I have the same problem. I just skip and it doesn't bother me. I quit buying games from one developer because they always have something that I physically can't do. And no option to skip!!!! You know who that is.....(about a guy with a head that is mad). Not as mad as I am since I like their games. Just can't do them.

Edited on 06/30/2016 at 5:48:20 PM PST

Nohrah
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Nohrah on Jun 30, 16 6:31 PM
Just adding my voice, I also cannot do these puzzles due to disability.
To add another point is the map - I have to have my nose on the screen to figure it out. I am not sure if it is because it is almost all one colour or the size or the poor design.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jul 1, 16 1:27 AM
I don't know about this game, because I haven't purchased it yet....
but, I have noticed that quite a few developers have this kind of puzzle....EXCEPT that once you click on the area that needs to be traced, you do not have to hold the mouse down afterward.

I am still not a great fan of that kind of puzzle, but when I come across the version that allows me to trace something without holding the mousekey down the entire time, I say a little subvocal blessing for them saving me the pain of trying to do the puzzle or the frustration of skipping.

The only way to find out which puzzle is which though, is to click the mouse and then take your finger off it, and then going ahead with the tracing.
It actually even feels good to me, to use my entire arm to move the mouse, while my hand is just relaxing.....and I hold the mouse between my thumb and index finger instead of the usual position on the buttons. My PT likes the variation of the hand movement too.....says it is good for me.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Jul 1, 16 4:36 AM
TooKat I have done that too, especially when my wrist is tired and in a splint, having the mouse lightly gripped between index finger and thumb, is easier for certain things.
I too say a thank you to the dev's that do not need the button pressed, or even ones that have little pit-stop on the wiggly line, so you can give your hand a rest.

I know I always get told to just skip puzzles, but when you are going for achievements, it is a second kick in the teeth. Plus having to skip a puzzle due to lack of ability rather than lack of skill is really annoying.

judithg315 I can't say I had noticed that about that developer but I will be keeping an eye on that.

Nohrah I too have had to have my nose to the screen a few times in other games, mainly for HOP scenes that use images instead of words.

I will be very happy if BigFish does let the devs know, and they do something about it.

[Post New]by CherylParker on Jul 2, 16 2:53 PM
If the dev's insist on putting these kind of puzzles in their games, then I agree we shouldn't have to hold the button down through the puzzle.
Although I don't have a disability I find myself getting almost to the end and end up touching the side. Then I have to start all over again.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jul 2, 16 11:16 PM
Sad to say, this Dev did not make this kind of puzzle one where we do have to hold onto the button.
A big ouch for some folks. I managed it, but took a lot of rests, while continuing to hold the button.
but, at least it can be skipped.

[Post New]by CherylParker on Jul 3, 16 12:14 PM
Tookat I did try letting go of the button to see if we wouldn't have to hold it down through the game. No such luck. But thanks for posting that it could be possible in some games. I will continue to try that in future games,

bobhillman
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

[Post New]by bobhillman on Aug 23, 16 9:08 AM
I have a different problem with these games - the fact that holding the button down increases the friction on the mouse mat, making it more difficult to move the mouse. However, since I play on a laptop, I have discovered that I can hold the button on the touchpad with my left hand, and use the mouse (as normal) with my right hand. Still don't like them, though.

Go to: