Game keeps minimizing itself

[Post New]by seldumonde on Feb 8, 10 5:28 PM
I wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem. I couldn't find it in the forums, so it is probably just me. I'm running Windows 7 and this game keeps constantly minimizing itself. It'll be okay for a few seconds, then go back to my desktop. Needless to say this makes playing impossible, which is a shame since it looks like a great game. Anyone else having this? Any ideas?

Re:Game keeps minimizing itself

[Post New]by burke1 on Feb 8, 10 5:57 PM
sometimes its because of your screen resolution set in your display panel....set your resolution on your computer to the center

[Post New]by Serendipity_1986 on Feb 28, 10 11:29 PM
This keeps happening to me too - every game since I got my new laptop with windows 7

Ismene
Flounder
Flounder
2,092 Posts

[Post New]by Ismene on Mar 4, 10 9:13 AM
Does Windows 7 still have the "pretend you're an earlier version of Windows" feature? I haven't had any trouble running Vista Home Premium, and it might be a quick fix until you hear back from Customer Service.

[Post New]by squigglyhopper on Mar 21, 10 3:40 PM
This has been happening to me with a different game. It is incredibly annoying. I'm having quite a few problems with the games on Windows 7. I hope this kind of things gets resolved in the future.

[Post New]by squigglyhopper on Mar 21, 10 4:35 PM
I was just experiementing. I started up a game that used to work perfectly well a couple of weeks ago. It minimized to the task bar and wouldn't come back up. I then closed all firefox browsers. The game then worked perfectly. Try this.

[Post New]by bmn2010 on Jun 23, 10 4:50 PM
Hello, I 've had basically the same problem as you.

My setup
--
Win 7 Pro x64 genuine
MBO P35
CPU E2160
VGA GF9600GT 512 gddr
RAM 8gb ddr 800
23" Full HD 1920x1080

So I 've set lower resolution - 1024x768 and game now works perfectly.

Hope 'll help someone.

dotk88
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by dotk88 on Aug 8, 10 12:01 PM
My games just started doing this now and I have Windows Vista. Is there a solution?

[Post New]by lglduck8 on Oct 25, 10 4:46 PM
Same problem here too, I am running a Dell with Vista and these games did work on my laptop at one time. Seems like last 6 months or so they started doing this annoying minimizing thing.

[Post New]by Reanzer on Oct 30, 10 10:45 AM
Try what I did(this is for vista, but setting will probably be the same for Windows 7 and XP)

1)Go to your game itself.(not through the game manager)

The location of my game is at C:\Program Files\BigFish\Stardrone(so it will probably be similar to you)

2)Select the program and right click it
For this game, the name is stardrone

3)Click Properties
Compatibility Tab,

4)
Check:
-run this program in compatibility mode
(select windows xp)
-Disable visual themes
-Disable desktop composition
-Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Worked for me.

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Oct 30, 10 10:51 AM
It helps if you leave something running in the background, don't minimise it.

I just leave the forum page up! It seems to work for me.

[Post New]by mossih on Nov 2, 10 1:09 PM
The culprit is "Desktop composition" under the compatibility tab. I checked this box on all of mine and it worked great. You have to do it on the application itself which is set as a hidden file.

To see it:
go to the game folder,
hit Alt,
then select tools
then folder options
then under the view tab select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives."

I recommend to set this back to hide them after this, since most hidden files are hidden for a reason.

When you launch the game, the theme will set to windows basic, but will come back once you exit the game.

Running Vista Ultimate x64

Game keeps minimizing itself

[Post New]by NovaNeethling on Jan 6, 11 9:04 PM
Hey , im running on Windows 7 Ulitmate X64 and a few weeks ago my games runned fine , and all of the sudden all my games keeps in minimizing and windows keeps on changing my tasks ... Need help ! Any Qlues.

[Post New]by Dash_77 on Feb 11, 11 7:40 PM
I was also having this problem. As soon as I closed Firefox, the game ran perfectly.

[Post New]by Saerasong on Feb 14, 11 3:52 PM
Reanzer wrote:Try what I did(this is for vista, but setting will probably be the same for Windows 7 and XP)

1)Go to your game itself.(not through the game manager)

The location of my game is at C:\Program Files\BigFish\Stardrone(so it will probably be similar to you)

2)Select the program and right click it
For this game, the name is stardrone

3)Click Properties
Compatibility Tab,

4)
Check:
-run this program in compatibility mode
(select windows xp)
-Disable visual themes
-Disable desktop composition
-Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Worked for me.

It works! Thanks =D now my game is working like a charm

[Post New]by mrronn on Aug 6, 11 8:34 AM
For those of you who haved found some success, congratulations. When something suddenly changes, underline 'suddenly', I would look at the operating system. BTW, none of the above approaches worked for me. I did a system restore but I could only go back to 8/1. Still no success. So I am at a loss. Did Bigfish have something to do with this? I will ask them. For now, the only option I can see is to delete the game and reinstall it. Too bad for me because I was near the end. I run Win7 Home and have played the game once already. Good luck to those still having the problem.

[Post New]by mrronn on Aug 6, 11 12:55 PM
Big Fish has a new game manager now and the problem seems to have been caused by the old manager. I discovered this by deleting the game and reinstalling. During the install, a new game manager was downloaded. After the game was activated, not only was I able to play without the constant minimizing, but it was able to pick up from where I left off. I really don't know how to manually get the new game manager, but try deleting a game (maybe an old one) and then reinstalling.

[Post New]by Newfie1_3 on Oct 28, 11 12:52 AM
Sounds as if there is more than one possibility behind this problem . I have three computers in this household runing games through the Bigfish stub, but only my superspec self build had this problem. I tried most of the above suggestions including lowering the screen resolution, trying different compatability modes, ditching AVG for MSE and deleting and reinstalling the game stub through control panel.
So, my problem seems to relate to the two GPUs I have running (nVidia GTX260).
In the nVidia control panel under the 'Select SLI and PhysX Cofiguration' there is a box top right for PhysX setting. In the drop down menu which defaults to Auto-select (recommended) both GPUs and the CPU are listed. What I found was that by selecting GPU (2) - the one not directly connected to the monitor - the problem stopped.
The other GPU does run at a hotter temperatue so I can only assume that in my case the problem was perhaps due to the card overheating. The cards are quite close together due to the position of the PCIe slots (Asus rampage II).
I realise that not everyone runs two GPUs but maybe this will help some out there frustrated by this annoying problem!

[Post New]by EmailWei on Feb 4, 12 5:11 AM
Hi Reanzer i tried what you said and my game worked perfect yesterday but today when i started my game up i started minimizes itself again and i my settings i have the same setting as yesterday

catbabe1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by catbabe1 on Feb 20, 12 7:24 PM
Bought a new computer for Christmas with Windows 7 Home. Having to download all my games. This one is minimizing itself as described. Didn't do that on old system Windows XP. I don't use Firefox either.

Any suggestions?

Go to: