auntann11
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,001 Posts

Geisha: The Secret Garden - Reviews

[Post New]by auntann11 on Feb 10, 10 12:35 AM
So far I can say it downloaded very quick.

Please post your reviews here.

If you have "how to" questions please create a new thread.

Edited on 02/12/2010 at 3:44:04 PM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

Re:Geisha: The Secret Garden - Reviews

[Post New]by belamba on Feb 10, 10 1:32 AM
When I first saw the custom cursor I thought 'Oh no'! But in relaxed mode (only mode I've played), it works just fine. I really like the concept of this game, and like the different way of playing match 3. My only criticism is that the objectives are reached too soon. Just getting into a level and it's over. I will def buy this one although I'd like to know how many levels there are?. I reached level 43 in the trial hour.

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Feb 10, 10 2:45 AM
Played nearly a half hour. Roughly 12 levels, but game length doesn't matter too much, as replayability is very high.

It is a nice variation on match3 play, only allowed horizontal moves, but those are unrestricted. (no match required, and often best play is to set up more complex matches before starting a cascade. In timed mode I rarely found I had time to really do much planning though. In the early levels the goals are also very easy, so it takes a bit of avoidance to get your maximum reward. This game does require some mouxterity in the timed mode, so I am at a significant disadvantage there.

rewards are powerups, and "dragons" which increase time, money, and free replays.

Graphics are clean and bright, but not particularly interesting. Music is the same; I'd soon turn it off. After each level, you may use your coins to purchase elements which you can "paint" into a Japanese garden scene. I have seen prettier ones.

Over all, game play is the point for this game, and that is good. For the rest, it is not bad anyway. I am not a match3 aficionado, so my rating is a bit lower than it might be otherwise: 3.8 on my scale of 10. Might buy at $2.99.

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Feb 10, 10 3:20 AM
I am not a match 3 afficionado either, which is why I liked this one so much. Graphics could have been better 7/10.

I liked the way of making your own garden, since I live in an apt.

After 20 minutes of play I bought the game. Seems like it will be nice and soothing.

Tried and it was fine for replay.

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Feb 10, 10 4:08 AM
Nice concept...M3+majhong! I like the slide option and the fact that you don't have to make a match to slide a tile.

Going on my "probably" list!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Feb 10, 10 6:37 AM
Refreshingly different gameplay mechanic, wonderful ambiance and artwork. I intend to buy it with my next game club credit.

dmekersa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by dmekersa on Feb 10, 10 6:42 AM
Hi,
I'm the designer and developer of the game.
Thanks all for this sweet and detailled feedbacks!
Regarding the short objectives: it depends of the tiles you got for the level. As the tiles are choosen randomly, if you got "hi values" like 8 or 9 symbols on the tiles, the objective is reached quickly, but it can be longer for other players
Regarding relax mode, I would like to give you a hint: play in timed mode for the challenge, and switch to relax for the more difficult levels (just click on the label under the "play" button on the map).
Regarding the number of levels, there is 80 levels, 20 per seasons + 1 bonus level every 5 levels. So 96 levels total, it's a good challenge. I have to say that Winter levels are my favorites, with the snow and the ice (ice is a nice challenge!).
Have a nice play. Remind to take pictures of your gardens and share with us!
David

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 10, 10 7:22 AM
Its a pretty nice match 3 game with a new twist. I plan to buy it with my next credit.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Feb 10, 10 7:26 AM
dmekersa wrote:Hi,
Regarding the short objectives: it depends of the tiles you got for the level. As the tiles are choosen randomly, if you got "hi values" like 8 or 9 symbols on the tiles, the objective is reached quickly, but it can be longer for other players
Regarding relax mode, I would like to give you a hint: play in timed mode for the challenge, and switch to relax for the more difficult levels (just click on the label under the "play" button on the map).
Regarding the number of levels, there is 80 levels, 20 per seasons + 1 bonus level every 5 levels. So 96 levels total, it's a good challenge. I have to say that Winter levels are my favorites, with the snow and the ice (ice is a nice challenge!).
David

Hi dmekersa,
So nice of you to come by and talk to us about the game.
I really like it. I love the concept of the play and I love the music. Very relaxing.
It's not too difficult and easy to learn how to play.
I also love the fact that you get to build a garden. I could see playing this game over and over. I love Match 3's.

I have a question. Is the objective always displayed on the bottom left of the screen before I press play.
For example. The last level I played it displayed the 'water' tile. When I had them all cleared it was over. But then I see the summer tiles before I go to the level. Do I have to collect those as well?
Hope you understand what I am trying to ask.
I am buying this game.

Thank you.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Feb 10, 10 7:37 AM
biomix wrote:
dmekersa wrote:Hi,
David

Hi dmekersa,
So nice of you to come by and talk to us about the game.
I really like it. I love the concept of the play and I love the music. Very relaxing.
It's not too difficult and easy to learn how to play.
I also love the fact that you get to build a garden. I could see playing this game over and over. I love Match 3's.

I have a question. Is the objective always displayed on the bottom left of the screen before I press play.
For example. The last level I played it displayed the 'water' tile. When I had them all cleared it was over. But then I see the summer tiles before I go to the level. Do I have to collect those as well?
Hope you understand what I am trying to ask.
I am buying this game.

Thank you.

Hi again,
I think I answered my own question. The objective is always on the bottom left corner. I like to play Natch 3's timed, but the hint you gave was very good, Play relaxed on tougher levels. I will keep that in mind for other Match 3's as well.
Thanks
Great game!

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Feb 10, 10 7:39 AM
auntann11 wrote:So far I can say it downloaded very quick.

OOPS I apologive Auntann. I should have created a new post to ask my question. I will be more careful next time.
Sorry.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Feb 10, 10 7:55 AM
Very nice game. Pretty to look at, and polished in its presentation.

auntann11
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,001 Posts

[Post New]by auntann11 on Feb 10, 10 7:59 AM
biomix wrote:
auntann11 wrote:So far I can say it downloaded very quick.

OOPS I apologive Auntann. I should have created a new post to ask my question. I will be more careful next time.
Sorry.

Don't worry biomix. I said that forgetting this is not a h0g or adventure game.

I am not a M3 fanatic. I like a few to play when I want to mellow like Jewel Match:Winter Wonderland so I am crossing my fingers when I demo this tonight.

It is good the developer dropped in with that hint.

Edited on 02/10/2010 at 8:00:59 AM PST

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Feb 10, 10 8:51 AM
I quite like Match 3 but won't be getting this. I have a real difficulty with the MahJong style tiles. I can't seem to be able to distinguish one from another. I seem to spend my time counting lines etc. I don't play mah jong games for the same reason, unless I can change pattern on tiles.

Other than that, the style of play makes a change and the garden would be nice to decorate. But I won't be getting it, sorry. But well done to makers anyway for trying something different.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Feb 10, 10 10:47 AM
A GREAT GAME......I LOVE IT!! / 5

A nice game to play when you want to relax and have fun. I LOVE the garden too

Happy Gaming
PEN

Edited on 02/10/2010 at 10:48:01 AM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Feb 10, 10 10:47 AM
QEIII wrote:I quite like Match 3 but won't be getting this. I have a real difficulty with the MahJong style tiles. I can't seem to be able to distinguish one from another. I seem to spend my time counting lines etc. I don't play mah jong games for the same reason, unless I can change pattern on tiles.

Other than that, the style of play makes a change and the garden would be nice to decorate. But I won't be getting it, sorry. But well done to makers anyway for trying something different.
Exactly the same here. (couldn't have said it better!)

ComputerCharm
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,537 Posts

[Post New]by ComputerCharm on Feb 10, 10 11:01 AM
Thanks David for taking the time out to give us more information on the game. I wasn't even going to demo it. I do love Match 3 games so will give it a go. I also like Mah Jong.

Charm

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Feb 10, 10 11:03 AM
I've bought this game and played it for over 2 hours. I like Mah Jongg tiles. Although I also have trouble distinguishing some of them from each other when there's a full set, this game never presents you with that many types at one time, and that is a real plus for me. The sliding mode is made much more interesting than usual because you can slide without matching and because dropping tiles into empty slots can create some dramatic matches. And of course I love the untimed mode.

I know that there are different people who like different graphics and music. For me personally, the graphics and music are very pleasant and I am really enjoying the gardening.

I definitely underuse the powerups (they are not so much needed when you play untimed), but they are useful when some columns of tiles really pile up.

Lisa's special hint for new players: long chains are more easily made vertically than horizontally, and making one by dropping out a tile into an empty slot can be particularly nice.

I'd call this one squarely Lisa-approved, especially with David from the developer coming on to cheer and help us.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Feb 10, 10 3:46 PM
I'm a match 3 fan but I'm on the fence with this one. I liked the different way of playing by sliding tiles but I have seen this done in other games before and wasn't crazy about it then.

The graphics are good but I didn't much like the garden part of the game. I thought the proportions were off a fair bit. The pine tree, for instance, was incredibly small. I wanted the plants to be larger and easier to see. And there is very little you can buy until you have 50 or more coins. Perhaps adding a few more things at 10 coins would help in the earlier stages.

I might buy this as a $2.99 special but I doubt I'll be buying it now. It's on my maybe list, though, so I might get it when I need to fill a punch card.

Glad to see the developer on here. Wish more of them would do that!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Feb 10, 10 5:06 PM
I found this game a little too complicated for a Match-3. I wasn't relaxed playing it, even though I was in the relaxed mode. There seemed to be too much going on and too many different kinds of tasks in a short period of time. I also found the mahjong tiles too difficult to see clearly. It was visually confusing for me.

I like challenging Match-3 games. The Ancient Quest of Saqqarah and Caribbean Hideaway are two of my favorite Match-3 games and they are both very challenging but in a different way.

I'm glad we have different choices and the developers make a good variety of games. This will be the right choice for some but not for me.

Go to: