I am so frustrated!

I am so frustrated!

[Post New]by shastaewilliams on Jul 3, 16 12:29 PM
I realize that my 54 year old eyes are not what they used to be but I know this isn't just me. The picture for the gazebo is so blurry I can't tell what half of the things are - and that is while both wearing my magnifying glasses and using the in game one. The cat paw print in the cellar is such a light shade of yellow that it does not stand out in any way from the backgrounds it is on and often I can't find it at all. Many of the items are so small that they take way too long to find. I have wasted untold amounts of energy doing rooms over and over again because of these issues.

In addition, despite having spent $10 of real money on this game when I first started playing, I am having an impossible time trying to get ahead because I have to keep bells in stock to find the things I can't see so then I can't build up enough coin to open rooms because I am using all the leftover I have buying runes to try and get better stuff to be able to get further ahead. I bought VIP at the beginning. I have only done the major tasks for the most part. I am not attempting to do the quests they put out weekly or whatever. I have Wishmaster, Amber Box, and Voodoo Breechcloth artifacts ready to go but read that I should wait to assemble them until I get a task for them so no getting further ahead that way. I have been involved in one expedition and no competitions (I have no idea what to do during those). I am only level 17 and at this rate will be retired before I hit level 20!

I thought this game was going to be fun because it has lots of things to do but honestly all it is turning out to be is one big exercise in frustration and I don't know how much longer I am going to play if all it does is upset me - that's not fun!

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

Re:I am so frustrated!

[Post New]by marliza on Jul 3, 16 1:02 PM
I hear you loud and clear, Shastae!!! I was very frustrated in the beginning, too. I think LOTS of us were - if not ALL of us!

The gazebo is a tough room to conquer. There is water mist all around the fountain, and there are items in there. The colors blend on the items on the roof, too. Not only that, but some items are sunken somewhat into the water. You'll get used to that one, eventually. For me, it's one I've practice from time to time, just to get a little "good" at!

I agree about the paw print. There are 5 places that silly print can be. After a while you also get used to finding that, too.

There is a room later on that you may never totally see a LOT of items clearly, but they are there and have different colors and shapes, so it is accomplishable.

Just know that it is the GAME - and NOT you!!!!

You can go ahead and make the Wishmaster, Amber Box, and the Voodoo Breechcloth(s). They are not part of anything that will give you extra rewards, I don't think. I do hope someone in the forum will correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't think they have "tasks" or "quests" attached to them where you'll get anything extra. I've made lots and lots of those particular artifacts.

When you make them they will help you to level up - at which time your energy is fully replenished - plus 10.

I felt like you do when I was on the lower level and a couple people who had been playing a while took me under their wings and helped me out by giving me things I needed to make more artifacts. That is how you accumulate the Experience Points (blue stars) to level up. So I will do the same for you. Please put me in your mailbox here - PM (Private Mail) - and let me know if there is something you need that I can send you. OH - and you'll have to be my neighbor to do this.
My neighbor code is 9yK3N2. Put in a neighbor request and I will accept it.

Also - be sure to put whatever you need on your wish list. !! - and get lots and lots of neighbors to visit, so you can get coin by doing so.

Lots in this game - so be in touch. Hopefully I will be able to help!

[Post New]by davemonroe on Jul 3, 16 1:19 PM
Full screen helps me a lot

thurber
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
482 Posts

[Post New]by thurber on Jul 3, 16 1:47 PM
The game can certainly be frustrating when first starting out. I found it easier to play without the magnifying glass. I think the wiki may have pictures of all the rooms showing places where objects hide. When I was a frustrated newbie it really helped to consult the wiki and write down where pesky objects hide then I could quickly look at my notes when I couldn't find something. This was especially helpful when doing offers for the first time. Saved me from resorting to potty mouth!

You'll soon learn to quickly find objects which now seem impossible. The cat print has become my favorite cellar object!

Don't give up. Best of luck!

[Post New]by shastaewilliams on Jul 3, 16 1:53 PM
Marliza maybe I did something wrong but when I put the friend code that you posted in the box that says "Send an invitation to join you in the game using a friend code" it came back and said "you have entered a wrong code. Please check it and try again." I copy and pasted it, tried it a few times.

marliza
Clownfish
Clownfish
532 Posts

[Post New]by marliza on Jul 3, 16 2:14 PM
Okay Shastae! - Here it is again - 9yK3NZ -- copy and pasted! LOL

[Post New]by Librarian2003 on Jul 3, 16 3:04 PM
shastaewilliams, any time I try copy and paste for a neighbour code, it comes back as a wrong code. I've no idea why!

Now I just write it down on a bit of paper, then type it in, which always works, even though it's the identical code.

sir_vival
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by sir_vival on Jul 3, 16 3:17 PM
@ shastaewilliams
@ Librarian2003

I have had the same problem last time, by copy and paste.
After restarting RoM the code worked

Give it a try

@ Librarian2003
marliza gave the code, not shastaewilliams

Sir Vival

Edited on 07/03/2016 at 3:21:25 PM PST

[Post New]by Librarian2003 on Jul 3, 16 3:26 PM
Yes, sir_vival, indeed marliza did.

But it's shastaewilliams who couldn't make it work, and it was shastaewilliams I was trying to help.

sir_vival
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by sir_vival on Jul 3, 16 3:55 PM
Sorry Librarian2003,

when reading your note, this was not clear for me.

Another error source
Always check, if their is a blank in front or after your copied and pasted ID.
If yes, delete the blanks. - Happens even to experienced freaks.

Freaky Sir Vival

lovesnf
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by lovesnf on Jul 3, 16 4:45 PM
I remember when I first started, I couldn't chase away any of the ghosts on my own map so I sent a message to a neighbor saying that I had just chased away all his ghosts so would he please help me with mine. He wrote back and said, "It doesn't work that way but it will get easier."

Just knowing that it would get easier kept me going through a lot of agony. And it does! It gets easier all the time but it's still challenging and fun. So don't quit, OK?

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 3, 16 5:08 PM
Sorry to hear I get headaches if I do more than 5 rooms at a time, so at this point I try to do whatever's the daily quest and then move on. I haven't played a ton of HOGs but this one is by far the hardest to see things on, and also the pickiest/touchiest about clicking exactly on the item to matter how spindly. I like how much the game has going on, but I just have to limit myself because it's so hard on the eyes.

But I still like the concept of HOGs. "Found" (free to play) was the one I tried after getting frustrated/sore on Rooms Of Memory and loved it! Much easier to see, also brighter colors, better definition and more forgiving about accepting clicks "on" the item. Unfortunately there won't be any more development on Found. You can still play and they still do fall/winter/spring events that are fun, but if you like to know there's an end or ongoing growth, forget it.

Midnight Castle is great right now. Also much easier to see than Rooms Of Memory, with a social aspect that doesn't seem forced and a lovely online/forum community. They just introduced shadow, reversed room and night mode like RoM has, but are making changes to Night Mode because so many complained about headaches because it was hard to see and not optional. When it returns it'll be optional somehow. So at least the developers there are (somewhat) responsive to eyesight and health concerns.

None of this is to knock RoM; it's great. But you're not alone in having trouble with it in large doses; just wanted to make sure you knew there were other games that are similar but not quite as brutal on the eyes
cheers --bzo

[Post New]by shastaewilliams on Jul 3, 16 10:29 PM
Librarian2003 wrote:shastaewilliams, any time I try copy and paste for a neighbour code, it comes back as a wrong code. I've no idea why!

Now I just write it down on a bit of paper, then type it in, which always works, even though it's the identical code.

You guys were right. It won't let you copy and paste it in, you have to put the friend code in manually for it to go through. Thanks for the info!

I really appreciate everyone's encouragement. It is so frustrating at times! It just bugs me especially when I know the places to look for things in the rooms and still can't find them. I even have that problem with the slippers in the cellar occasionally, too.

To the folks who suggested it, I have always played the game in full screen mode and agree that it is easier to play without the magnifier at first, then turn it on when I can't find the tiny things or the ones that blend in too well to see. Thanks for all of your suggestions, please keep them coming!

So is everybody in agreement that it's ok for me to assemble those three artifacts now? I don't want to have to do them over again but the 6,000 coin that one of them gives would certainly help. I seem to be constantly picking the one out of three things I can buy each day with my pile of coins. It would be nice to have bells to get through a few rooms AND be able to buy some runes too.

I probably should have mentioned in my OP that I have read through the Wiki and the pinned section with advice to newbies. I guess I am confused because most games I have played have started off easy and gotten alot harder as you level up, etc. but this one, considering how many levels it has, seems to get pretty hard really quick.

clm5457
Catfish
Catfish
1,588 Posts

[Post New]by clm5457 on Jul 4, 16 2:22 AM
it takes a lot of patience when first starting out but hang in there. It does get easier. Have you tried using the Strong Energy Tailsman, it gives you 40 percent more energy. Good Luck.

[Post New]by Librarian2003 on Jul 4, 16 3:11 AM

shastaewilliams, I've sent you a pm.

BagofFluff
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by BagofFluff on Jul 4, 16 3:29 AM
Sometimes adjusting the computer screen's brightness will help a lot to show those items that are hard to find such as the cat's paw in the cellar, specially the really hard to see anchor on the boat in Paris.

lovesnf
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by lovesnf on Jul 4, 16 3:44 AM
shastaewilliams wrote:So is everybody in agreement that it's ok for me to assemble those three artifacts now? I don't want to have to do them over again but the 6,000 coin that one of them gives would certainly help. I seem to be constantly picking the one out of three things I can buy each day with my pile of coins. It would be nice to have bells to get through a few rooms AND be able to buy some runes too.

I remember all too well how desperate I was for every single coin, common charge and new neighbor when I first started.

Definitely assemble any of the Voodoo items whenever you want to and assemble them over and over again to get coins and experience. Also, the Talismans, Ghost Traps and the things you can make from chasing away Ghosts (like the Nautilus Pallium) are all good for getting experience, coins and useful items. If you are missing a piece of an artifact you can put it on your wishlist.

Usually you only need to wait for the prompt (on the left side of the screen) the first time you assemble something. After that, if you can get enough pieces together go ahead and assemble them.

When you start playing offers (wait until at least Level 40 for that IMO) you will have to wait for the prompt to assemble for each artifact every time you play the same offer.

A few artifacts use very rare charges, though, so if the charges are unfamiliar ones that you can't put on the wishlist, you probably want to ask for advice before assembling.

If any of this is wrong, other players should feel free to correct me.

I accidentally destroyed my computer with the big, beautiful screen so now I have to play on a laptop with a terrible screen. I literally can't see some of the items, either. Sometimes I just have to click where I think they probably are and hope I get lucky.

One trick I've been wanting to share is, when I can't find some item, I search carefully all around the outer edge of the picture. I'd say about 75% of the time I find it near the edge.

jaid_diah
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by jaid_diah on Jul 5, 16 12:26 AM
A trick I learned was to take a screenshot of the room, pause the game, and paste the image into the Paint program. I could then magnify the image to see the room better.
You would have to do this a couple of times as you clear out the items.

DarkMag
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by DarkMag on Jul 5, 16 3:45 AM
@shastaewilliams

I understand your problems, I've had them myself at the beginning. There are solutions and they are simple.

How clear you can see the objects depends on basically a few things. First, your monitor quality and resolution. I have an old CRT monitor and have a hard time noticing the small objects but when I play in a good monitor it's easier. And obviously, the higher resolution the better. Secondly, for those hard to find objects, there is the RoM wiki page, it has maps of all major stages with markers for all objects, just open the map and see where every object is. You don't have to spend coins on hints that way. Once you do it a few times then you will remember most of them by heart anyway.
Try to login every day to get the bonus lottery items, help your friends in expeditions and runes, visit your neighbors to collect coins, complete quests and soon you will have plenty of resources to play more comfortably. Also, try to have as many neighbors as possible, send all the free invitations every day.
I hope this will prove helpful.

afspam
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
468 Posts

[Post New]by afspam on Jul 5, 16 3:57 AM
This thread holds a lot of very useful information for new players:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/20/257866.page

It is very long, but it really is useful. It was started in order to answer those very questions that get asked often. I recommend reading in small doses so you don't get overwhelmed.

I know it's hard to search for answers in the forum when you're new, it's hard to know how to frame the questions. Surprisingly though, a search can sometimes result in an answer before you ask the question!

Go to: