Tournament scores

Tournament scores

[Post New]by Matermaniac on Jul 5, 16 12:25 PM
The best scores I get are in the 60,000 range and this is after using spins. How in the world does one get in the 200,000 range?

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

Re:Tournament scores

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jul 5, 16 12:29 PM
Super-sharp eyes, lightning-fast fingers, & incredibly good luck with the spins, none of which I have.
Should I welcome you to the 10% spin club?

Tibtt
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Tibtt on Jul 5, 16 12:55 PM
Dont know on which platform you play, but I'm a PC player and I'm usually getting 85,000 - 90,000 base score.
To that score spins add more - mostly 3x10% but from time to time better or more spins - so getting 200,000 is achievable (My quite new orange kitty will agree )

Dont give up!

Sending some luck 2 you!

Tibora

GulfCoastGuppy
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,963 Posts

[Post New]by GulfCoastGuppy on Jul 5, 16 1:00 PM
And if you ARE on PC, 5000 points for 100% accuracy, so even if you are slower, don't random click. Take your time...and practice, practice, practice! My quite new orange kitty ALSO agrees!

c0c0_nuts
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Tournament scores

[Post New]by c0c0_nuts on Jul 5, 16 1:07 PM
Matermaniac wrote:The best scores I get are in the 60,000 range and this is after using spins.

Are you using wands? Using them will give you a low score.

The good base score is achieved by finding the items on your own as quickly as possible. Then you need at least 3 good spins at the wheel to increase your score.

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jul 5, 16 2:09 PM
"3 good spins" being the key here.
Last tourney, I got 7 chips (& I looked HARD) & spun 10% twice for a truly awful & embarrassing score.

c0c0_nuts
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by c0c0_nuts on Jul 5, 16 2:19 PM
When I get chips for only 2 spins, I do not even bother to spin.

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 5, 16 2:29 PM
Tibtt you are fast!
OK: the spins are all luck; you can't win with more than 2 10%s except for some strange situation or if nobody's playing! But it is possible to win with, like a 30, 40 & 50, which I've gotten every so often, being patient thru lotsa 10s!

My "rule of thumb" is that I've got a good chance if I can get 80,000 or more *before* spins. First time thru I'm lucky to hit 75,000, but it's possible to squeak out a good score there, especially if you have 12 or more tokens (4 spins).
If you're lucky enough to get, say, 4 30% spins (picked a not-best-not-worst for example)
75,000 x 1.30 x 1.30 x 1.30 x 1.30 = 214,207.5
75,000 base score / 5 rooms = aim for 15,000 per room.

How? The faster, the higher the "time bonus" and the more accurate clicks the better the Accuracy score. But the biggest diff is how many items you click in a row before the "timer" in the top left goes out; the 10th sequential item is worth tons more than the 8th, which is worth more than the 3rd, etc. So it's worth it to first pause and look, spot a few you *know* you're going for, then try to click as consistently as possible. Even if you don't get all 12 items in a row, you can still get 13-15k for a room if you get most in one go, quickly and accurately.
Hope that helps? & good bzo

mamarose1900
Flounder
Flounder
2,190 Posts

[Post New]by mamarose1900 on Jul 5, 16 4:45 PM
FWIW-I don't spin if I don't get at least 9 chips.

I play as much as I can. I set a timer for 20 minutes so I get as many free plays as are available. I don't spend diamonds because I'll never win more than I spend. But doing them more means I'm learning the HOS. I'm learning which items tend to be in which scenes. I also am learning where they are placed so I know where to look.

I have a tendency toward carpal tunnel, so I have to be careful not to stress my wrist. So I go for as fast as I can without losing the 5000 accuracy points. My base scores, even without being a speed demon, are anywhere from the high 60,000s to low 80,000s, which is high enough to get over 200,000 points if I get good spins. Today I got somewhere near 225,000 with a 10, 30, and 2 40s. I got 279,000 the other day because I got two 50% spins. Those were high enough because I'm not aiming for the top of the leaderboard. I just want to hit the top 100 and complete the achievement.

I didn't start playing the tournament until two or three months ago. I got the first avatar fairly quickly. Then nothing for a really long time. I almost stopped playing. But I really want that kitty. So I kept on. When my base scores got more consistent and I stopped spinning when I didn't find at least 9 chips, my overall scores got better. I'm halfway there and sure that eventually that cat will join my menagerie.

I don't know if my experience is helpful, but there it is.

Have fun stormin' the castle!

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jul 5, 16 5:14 PM
Matermaniac, you're not alone with your low scores. Reading replies like these makes me feel entirely inferior.
75,000 as a FIRST round base score?!? OMG! I haven't gotten anywhere near that no matter how many times I play! A really good base score for me is 60k, & I don't mean 61k or even 60,100. I'm lucky to break out of the 50's. I'm lucky to score in the 40's 1st round. 15k per room??? Inconceivable.

It sounds like most of you are on pc. With a nice, big, bright monitor, 11" minimum I would think, more likely 17" or larger. I'm on iOS & play on a 4" screen. Try it some day. Take it off "full screen" & shrink it down to 4" across & give it a try that way.
I'll never have the visual advantage you guys do. This is SOOO not a level playing field.

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 5, 16 6:18 PM
Oof! I've not tried any HOG on my mobile, mainly because I have to sit close to my PC screen with the "brightness" fairly high to even see normal day-mode anything, esp in the darker or trickier scenes. I literally cannot imagine how difficult it would be to play on a mobile (assuming VERY, EXTREMELY hard). I mean, have heard all these amazing things about iPad graphics, but still, size matters when you're looking for small, hidden things!
So yeah, not even gonna pretend iOS/Android finding is anywhere near as easy as PC! I had thought, though, that the tourneys were separated by OS. Like, I know with friends it seems to be PC-to-PC, iOS-to-iOS 'cuz of diff user ID# types.
--> Does anyone know for sure whether tournaments are all of us together, or separate tourneys for Android, iOS, PC?
(if someone's scoring 250,000+ regularly on a smartphone, I can only imagine they're wicked young/healthy-visioned or CRAZY good at these!)

c0c0_nuts
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by c0c0_nuts on Jul 5, 16 6:20 PM
Each platform has its own tournaments.

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 6, 16 10:40 AM
Thanks, c0c0_nuts! Now I don't have to feel guilty for tournamenting with my huge PC monitor

Also: I second/third/fourth the "not spinning with <9 tokens" rec. It does seem (and make sense) that there are only X number of 30s, 40s, and [precious few] 50%s each player will ever get. When you've got a really low-ish base score (relative to your usual) &/or only 2 spins, and THEN you get a 40 or 50, it's basically "wasted" and so frustrating. If you wait til a half-good round and 3+ spins, at least any >20% spins will have a better chance of "counting". Not that you won't still get a ton of 10s! We all do.. but concentrating the chances of >20s seems a good strategy.

Lastly, wands: as mentioned, they lower your score. Er, they de facto lower it: each item gotten w/wands give ONLY as the points for each, single object. So you lose out on all those lovely extra points from clicking on the 5th, 6th (or more) item in a row. So best avoided. No negatives to hints or Crystal Balls though! If it's a tourney scene that's given trouble before, I practically plan to hit the Crystal Ball near the end to find me the last 3 (in hopes of clicking before the multiple-items-bonus timer runs out, or at least increase the chances of a time-bonus).

Hope that helps, and good bzo

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jul 6, 16 11:38 AM
Hmmm, I never thought of taking my 2 spins as "using up" or wasting my chances of getting good spins. I'm just hoping to post a less-embarrassingly-low score.

And yes, our tournaments are separate by platform, but most iOS players have iPads which are much, much larger than my little iPhone. I imagine some even have Macs & some of those screens are huge. So I'll always be at a big disadvantage.

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 7, 16 11:15 AM
Yikes, Desertdruid! iPhone smaller screen... no wonder Night Mode made your optic nerve pitch a fit!

AFAIK, Macs run on a related but different system, OSX. I don't think you can run MC-for-iOS on a Mac w/o some wacky VM or something (Virtual Machine or way to run an OS-in-an-OS, like Parallels) /TechBlahBlah. Ah! Just looked, MC isn't even listed in BFG's Mac-> "Top Games" ->HOG like it is for 'droid/iOS/PC. Hmm.

Re: "wasting" rolls. I'm honestly not sure if that's how it works. It depends if they've programmed it to have X number of 40s or 50s (...) per tournaments or time period, or if they're allotted probabilities as a percentage of spins. If it's "you get X 40s/50s per tournament" or day or whatever, a boatload of spins sorta waters down chances of getting good spins. BUT, if it's "you're likely to get X 40s/50s for every 100 spins," then no, spins aren't so much wasted.

I don't know which way they've programmed the chances. So.. I chose my method because I was yelling at the screen when I had an awful base-score &/or 2 spins, then rolled a 50. For me, it's worth it to avoid frustration... tho I totally might be "cheating myself" out of a surprise good score. I'd personally rather scream at my game less even if someone thinks I'm a dunce, tho I totally get the other way too! People... we're all wonderfully weird huh?

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jul 7, 16 12:54 PM
So Borkzorkorc, what are you really, a rocket scientist? Math genius? Computer wizard? Vulcan? I mean really, how do you know all this crazy Math?

Borkzorkorc
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Borkzorkorc on Jul 7, 16 1:58 PM
Ok, I'm busted... Vulcan!

I majored in Math(s) for my undergrad... until I looked around and at my books and wondered "WHAT AM I DOING?!" and switched majors.. but still had to minor in Engineering (Mech, because weird story but not so interesting). Also studied like mad in AP classes like calculus because cheap and not wanting to pay for all 4 years of university. So... yeah, maybe only Vulcan wannabe but full-fledged nerd and proud! Glad it's all at least coming in handy now

ETA: Sorry this was a very USA-based answer.. though AP is just like advanced Honors classes where if you score high enough on a nationwide exam at the end, you can get college credits for it, depending on the school. I think the whole world might know how impossible it is to pay on your own for a US university education Yay scholarships and trying to minimize student debt!

Edited on 07/07/2016 at 2:12:54 PM PST

12earth45
Clownfish
Clownfish
885 Posts

[Post New]by 12earth45 on Jul 7, 16 3:34 PM
Desertdruid wrote:Hmmm, I never thought of taking my 2 spins as "using up" or wasting my chances of getting good spins. I'm just hoping to post a less-embarrassingly-low score.

And yes, our tournaments are separate by platform, but most iOS players have iPads which are much, much larger than my little iPhone. I imagine some even have Macs & some of those screens are huge. So I'll always be at a big disadvantage.

Hi Dessertdruid!

Some say it helps to use a rubber tipped stylus. ( I do, helps my wrist and fingers)
I don't even look at list anymore, unless last few, as it appears to take less time, and iOS players do not receive accuracy score.

I do play on iPad, tried iPhone, but agree too small screen.
Would having mounted magnifying glass over phone screen be helpful?

Do spin if only 2 available. Yes many times only 10% with 4 spins. And sometimes, maybe when tired, I enter score before taking fourth spin!!

Hoping for better spins in your future!!

Crystal;P

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Jul 7, 16 5:58 PM
Thanks Crystal;p, I do use a stylus - my fingers are just too inaccurate, too big, but having trouble with it now, too. Apparently the rubber tip wears out & I need a new one, so following the advice of another Castle denizen, I'm dipping it in talcum powder to make it work better.
So I'm picturing myself with the stylus in one hand, the huge magnifying glass in the other, the phone balanced on my knee threatening to fall off with every tap, & the pot of talcum powder on the other knee, & my cold cocktail clutched between my knees, because I would truly go insane very quickly trying to do that sober! Lol!

Crystal;p & bzo, thank you both for making me laugh so hard!

[Post New]by Matermaniac on Jul 9, 16 9:58 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Yep. Need to be in the spin club because my responses sure aren't lightening quick. Lol. Seems I do really good then absolutely can't find the last item. Does using hints reduce your score?

Also I have noticed that I don't always get credit for all the spin coins I click on What's up with this?

Go to: