tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

A must read for anyone with Windows 10 and gets DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD...

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Jul 5, 16 9:42 PM
I got this from a website that may help some fix the issue.

Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD, Promises Fix

It's not a secret that many are experiencing issues after upgrading to Windows 10 and it's also not a surprise that so many people want to go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 because of these problems, so Microsoft's engineers are now hard at work to fix everything before it's not too late.

One of the errors that users are seeing after moving to Windows 10 is a BSOD which reads DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD and which then reboots the computer just after the operating system collects the crash information it needs to submit to Microsoft.

The company confirmed in a statement on the Microsoft Community forums that it is aware of the problem and is working on a fix already, but timing when it could arrive is not yet available.

“For those who experience this error, it occurs occasionally but repeatedly and seemingly at random. The PC then collects information and restarts. The Bug Check code for this bluescreen is 0x00000133,” one Microsoft forum moderator wrote.

A fix is on the way
Microsoft support engineer Anannya Podder says it's all being caused by the iastor.sys driver, which right now isn't fully compatible with Windows 10. This is where Microsoft is doing all the work, trying to make sure that iastor.sys works flawlessly on Windows 10.

“Microsoft is currently investigating a solution to prevent the driver from being migrated when upgrading to Windows 10. For those of you already on Windows 10, you can work around this error by replacing the problematic driver with the Microsoft storahci.sys driver,” she said.

All steps you need to follow are included in the box after the jump, so have a look on them if you're experiencing the aforementioned issue.

As for the release date of the new patch, expect fixes to be included in the next cumulative update which can be released by Microsoft at any time now.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

Re:A must read for anyone with Windows 10 and gets DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD...

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Jul 5, 16 9:43 PM
Right-click the Start icon and select Device Manager.

Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Select the controller with “SATA AHCI” in its name (such as Standard SATA AHCI Controller). To verify that you’ve selected the right controller, right-click the controller, select Properties, click the Driver tab, and then Driver Details. Verify that iastor.sys is a listed driver, and click OK.

From the Driver tab, select Update Driver…

Select Browse my computer for driver software.

Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Select Standard SATA AHCI Controller.

mamarose1900
Flounder
Flounder
2,190 Posts

Re:A must read for anyone with Windows 10 and gets DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD...

[Post New]by mamarose1900 on Jul 6, 16 8:05 AM
Thanks for this information. I'm still waffling about whether I want to switch to Win 10 while it's still free. I worry about compatibility with my older motherboard. But more, I worry about compatibility with some very old games I still enjoy playing regularly. If I do, and I end up stuck with this issue, at least I know what to do.

Have fun stormin' the castle!

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Jul 6, 16 8:11 AM
I not moving to Windows 10 as I have many older games that I know won't work. All Windows 10 is a beta version that still has major issues as mentioned in I above post. Free is not always the best and that is why I will stay with Windows 7.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jul 6, 16 8:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to pop in here and thank tazruby2000 for the willingness to help players having issues on Windows 10. Please keep in mind that any changes made to computer files is NOT recommended as this may result in more harm than good. While the team does recognize that players may have issues with certain operating systems, it is highly recommended to consult our Help pages for troubleshooting steps, specifically the following help article for Windows 10:

Windows 10

If players continue to experience error messages or other issues when playing our games, please reach out to our Technical Support Team with a Dr. Felix Report if you are on the PC platform. If issues are showing up on a mobile device, your player ID and details of the issue will help aid in the investigation. Any screenshots of error messages are helpful as well. Please see the following help articles:

Finding Your In-Game ID

Taking A Screenshot

Since this thread is regarding technical issues, I'm going to go ahead and lock it. Feel free to continue any technical issue discussion in the designated thread or reach out to our Technical Support Team. I'll include links below:

Post your Midnight Castle (PC) Technical Issues Here Only!
Post your Midnight Castle (iOS) Technical Issues Here Only!
Post your Midnight Castle (Android) Technical Issues Here Only!

Thank you for your understanding.

bfgBellerophon

Go to: