Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Swan Princess and The Dire Tree CE here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jul 7, 16 12:46 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 07/07/2016 at 6:46:49 AM PST

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Swan Princess and The Dire Tree CE here.

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Jul 7, 16 1:15 AM
So far not impressed. [Removed by Moderator] The graphics in this particular game are rather poor, certainly not up to the standard of previous games. I like the older games a lot and am always replaying them but I'm not sure I will buy this one as it's pretty boring so far.

Edited on 07/08/2016 at 9:16:28 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Swan Princess and The Dire Tree CE here.

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jul 7, 16 2:39 AM

Edited on 07/08/2016 at 9:01:02 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jul 7, 16 6:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Parables: The Swan Princess and The Dire Tree Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Parables: The Swan Princess and The Dire Tree Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

Edited on 07/07/2016 at 8:16:09 AM PST

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Jul 7, 16 10:54 AM
I must be in the minority; I found the graphics in this game to be great and they seemed more updated and modern to me.

I also am enjoying the storyline for once ( I have usually ignored it and found it rather cloying in Dark Parables past).

Again I am really enjoying the artwork and overall art style,which seemed more elegant. I also think that the interface is much improved,so to each his or her own....try it, you might like it..

Edited on 07/07/2016 at 11:22:43 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 7, 16 5:06 PM
Hi all! Another Dark Parables...holy smokes! Graphics aren't too bad in this one. Colors still run to the blues throughout and are a bit fuzzy. Game play was very good, with no problems during the demo. Voice overs weren't too bad, but very few and far between, and showed no urgency or emotion. Not much in the way of sound FX, and this game certainly could have used them. Music was no different than in all the other games in this series...very tiring. The sound FX for a found item got very annoying very quickly.

HOPs are fragments. It's time to upgrade and toss in something else now and then. The scenes were cluttered and somewhat colorless, making it more difficult to spot items. I got bored with these quite quickly. The only plus is that there aren't a lot of them. Same with the puzzles. Very simple, very few, very boring. Hint system is helpful, and there is a transport for longer locations. You do a lot of back-tracking.

The only collectibles are 39 acorns, which are extremely small and extremely difficult to see. Yes, I actually had to look at the SG to find some of them during the demo. Something I never do. You also have "parables," which are what look like morphing flowers. These are "find my only by luck" type of items. They blend into background colors and scenery and again, are extremely difficult to see.

I rarely review on the story line, but this one was just too boring for me. I try very hard to find something good about all the games I demo, even if I don't care for them, just so I can recommend them for others who might like them. Sometimes, it is quite difficult. Let me just say that I think it's time to retire this series. I have a lot of the game in this series, but not all. I actually beta tested this one quite some time ago and only gave it a 3.5. After giving it another try, I'm downgrading to a 3.0. The story didn't seem to flow very well in this one. It felt like it just sort of jumped around a bit. Personally, I don't feel this one is CE worthy with the extras, and I don't feel it is SE worthy either. I'll recommend this for a beginner who has never played a FROG before, or someone who doesn't really care about a story that makes sense, but I can't recommend it for a seasoned gamer. No, I am not going to purchase this one for my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

Edited on 07/07/2016 at 5:08:17 PM PST

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jul 7, 16 8:29 PM
Not impressed. Too many cut scenes, too much talking (which I hate) and I seriously don't think the graphics are as sharp as other games I've played. Not a buy for me. Pretty much just the same as other games. Boring.

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Jul 7, 16 9:30 PM
The demo did not entice me to buy this game. The graphics are 'flat', but seemed to be better in some scenes. The fragmented HO's are okay, puzzles/mini-games were good. I like the swan theme and that our mission is to find a special Seed instead of a kidnapped being. I like fantasy but this game just missed the mark for me.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jul 7, 16 10:09 PM

Edited on 07/08/2016 at 9:09:23 AM PST

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Jul 8, 16 12:13 AM

Edited on 07/08/2016 at 9:16:10 AM PST

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Jul 8, 16 7:00 AM

Edited on 07/08/2016 at 9:16:00 AM PST

cheekyoops
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by cheekyoops on Jul 8, 16 7:08 AM

Edited on 07/08/2016 at 9:10:27 AM PST

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Jul 8, 16 9:20 AM
Hi Everyone,

The Forum Moderation Team definitely appreciates everyone who takes the time to post their feedback and reviews for our games. However, I do want to post a quick reminder of the Review Guidelines to keep in mind. Specifically according to the initial post by bfgBellerophon:

Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

We ask that people please make sure to keep this thread reserved for reviews of the game itself, and that posts not be reviewing developers or commenting on other's reviews. This helps to keep this thread tidy and easy to navigate for everybody.

Thank you for your understanding.

bfgPanthalassa

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Jul 8, 16 11:56 AM
This game could have been much improved with some minor adjustments.

I'm not that old and corrected my vision is perfect, but finding those acorns was nigh impossible in many cases. The general story line is not bad, but we never find out why the "baddie" committed the crime and I think things like that really add to the story and help you generate the proper feeling towards the character (if you're one who pays attention to the story).

Many of the puzzles lacked sufficient instructions. I don't want to have to go to the strategy guide just to know how to play.

I did like the fragmented HOPs; they are one of the main reasons I enjoy Dark Parables. And those items are always very pretty and creative (though not as mind-blowing as the originals). The music was also very nice.

You also can't go back to look for morphing objects you missed which means you don't get to read the parables. I like to focus on the game and then go back and look for any collectibles that didn't jump out at me. They are a distraction to the story line. I shouldn't have to play the game again to search for them. They do let you search for the acorns but that doesn't "get" you anything.

All in all, it's a decent game but not an exceptional one. Still waiting for one as wonderful as Red Riding Hood.

darksprires
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by darksprires on Jul 8, 16 1:49 PM
Disappointing. Aside from the highly irritating fact that the game appears to have glitches and I got halfway through only to become stuck and having to start all over again, it is also a game that looks like whoever was assigned to work with it got bored and did a poor job. The graphics were okay, not good. The story was... what story? I must have blinked and missed it. The Frogs were not up to the usual standard and the puzzles were uninteresting. There has also been a switch of artist as Prince Ross Red didn't look anything like his first appearance.

I had been looking forward to the release of this one and now I can't imagine why. Not worth the money. Maybe, after a year or so and it finds its way into the $2 special offer heap, or whatever it is they cost, but not now. All I can award it is a meagre two stars and that grudgingly.

sollys
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by sollys on Jul 8, 16 2:46 PM
This is a truly delightful and entertaining game. I have not been disappointed with any Dark Parable game(I own them all) I am enjoying the graphics, storyline, special effects,,storyline, and characters. Definitely another buy.

purplecat8
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by purplecat8 on Jul 8, 16 6:13 PM
I managed almost 40 minutes before being overwhelmed by tedium. The art is not too bad, though not what it was before the current game maker took it over. The story line and the games are blah. I needed a lot of hints to find the fragmented objects. Too bad, this series was a favorite in the past.

cherleadford
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by cherleadford on Jul 8, 16 7:00 PM
dancemom1 wrote:Hi all! Another Dark Parables...holy smokes! Graphics aren't too bad in this one. Colors still run to the blues throughout and are a bit fuzzy. Game play was very good, with no problems during the demo. Voice overs weren't too bad, but very few and far between, and showed no urgency or emotion. Not much in the way of sound FX, and this game certainly could have used them. Music was no different than in all the other games in this series...very tiring. The sound FX for a found item got very annoying very quickly.

HOPs are fragments. It's time to upgrade and toss in something else now and then. The scenes were cluttered and somewhat colorless, making it more difficult to spot items. I got bored with these quite quickly. The only plus is that there aren't a lot of them. Same with the puzzles. Very simple, very few, very boring. Hint system is helpful, and there is a transport for longer locations. You do a lot of back-tracking.

The only collectibles are 39 acorns, which are extremely small and extremely difficult to see. Yes, I actually had to look at the SG to find some of them during the demo. Something I never do. You also have "parables," which are what look like morphing flowers. These are "find my only by luck" type of items. They blend into background colors and scenery and again, are extremely difficult to see.

I rarely review on the story line, but this one was just too boring for me. I try very hard to find something good about all the games I demo, even if I don't care for them, just so I can recommend them for others who might like them. Sometimes, it is quite difficult. Let me just say that I think it's time to retire this series. I have a lot of the game in this series, but not all. I actually beta tested this one quite some time ago and only gave it a 3.5. After giving it another try, I'm downgrading to a 3.0. The story didn't seem to flow very well in this one. It felt like it just sort of jumped around a bit. Personally, I don't feel this one is CE worthy with the extras, and I don't feel it is SE worthy either. I'll recommend this for a beginner who has never played a FROG before, or someone who doesn't really care about a story that makes sense, but I can't recommend it for a seasoned gamer. No, I am not going to purchase this one for my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

cherleadford
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by cherleadford on Jul 8, 16 7:02 PM
Totally agree with you Dancemom. I will not be buying the CE or the SE. Very, very disappointed with these developers. They used to have such excellent games.

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Jul 9, 16 12:28 AM
I notice a lot of the posts have been removed by the moderator. As I'd already read them and hadn't noticed anything untoward I wondered why this was so. Would you be kind enough to explain why these posts were removed please BFG?

Go to: