YIKES!!

[Post New]by militarymommy on Jun 25, 10 11:54 AM
Just to say, I have not played it yet, did not demo it, did not read the forums until I had bought it and it was installing.
Hope I did not make a mistake with this one - All of the Dream Chronicles have always been my fave, Dire Grove, R2R, were direct spin offs of this type of game, so think this was the start of something fabulous!
I will play and get back with you. After seeing the comments about the length of the game, the poor "bonus" chapter and the fact that it does not have the 'dreamy' quality to it, I am hoping I did not make a $20 mistake here!!
Will post again (not too soon, I hope!) when I am back from Dream Land!!
Happy gaminig, fishies!!!

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air Collector's Edition

[Post New]by erinbilly on Jun 25, 10 11:56 AM
I was disappointed. I am a big fan of this series, have played the other three numerous times. This one was too short and way too simple. The puzzles were basically the same thing over and over again. No variety. The other three were much more complex and it held your attention from beginning to end. I was shocked when this one ended so quickly. It feels as if it was thrown together real fast just to get something on the market. If that was the case, I would preferred to have waited a bit longer for a better version. Definitely do not feel it was worth the $20.00 for the collectors edition. It felt like this was just a quick glimpse, almost like I played a demo or trial version instead of a full-on collectors edition. I love the other three so much that I just purchased the collectors edition instead of trying it for an hour. That was a mistake. I will probably play the next one that comes out but I will try the trial first. If its anything like this one. I will finish it before the hour is up and save myself some money.

picman050967
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,226 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air Collector's Edition

[Post New]by picman050967 on Jun 25, 10 12:19 PM
azmesa340 wrote:
4mybirds4 wrote:I could not wait for this game to come out and I knew I would purchase it right away, .....that is until after I read the reviews. I am so glad I waited to purchase the CE. I still haven't tried the demo, am so disappointed after reading the reviews, I may just wait to demo after the regular version comes out.
Thanks for all the reviews!

Same here - I did play the demo but after reading the reviews and especially those about the technical problems decided to save my $$ for later. Too bad - I really liked the first three in the series.

Unless there are 10 to 20 pages of issues in the technical thread, that should not deter you from trying the game. Even the best games do not work on about 0.1 to 1% of PC configurations...thus if we download 100,000 games on the first day and 0.5% had issues, that means 99.5% of people had no issues. Thus if the 500 people who did have issues post on the forums, that would seem like a lot of issues, when in fact, the game works perfectly for 99.5%.

I am just saying that one of the reasons we have a try-before you buy business is so you can try it and make sure it works before you buy.

Picman

Edited on 06/25/2010 at 3:44:33 PM PST

picman050967
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,226 Posts

[Post New]by picman050967 on Jun 25, 10 12:23 PM
phatkhat wrote:
My question is that the blurb says:
Experience all the exclusive Collector’s Edition extras!
The Collector’s Edition includes:

* Bonus locations and gameplay
* Magnificent soundtrack
* Built-in Strategy Guide
* A sneak peek of the next game
* Check out our Blog Walkthrough

So is the soundtrack gone in the SE? I did really like the music and the cutscenes, and wonder if they are removed for the SE. That would really, really suck.

No the SE has the music incorporated into the game, but not as a separate activity. The CE has the music both in the game as well as separated out from the game for listening to when not playing.

Picman

Edited on 07/01/2010 at 9:27:43 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jun 25, 10 12:32 PM
I wanted to add one thing as a review topic--although I was disappointed in the game compared to the others in the series, I do not begrudge the money I paid for the CE. It is an absolute quality game--the graphics, as I said, are wonderful as always and the actual gameplay itself is good. When I went through the strategy guide afterwards, it was very well done, and seemed entirely complete for the game, with separate components for casual and challenge mode.

This game is a quality game--make no mistake about that.

Edited on 06/25/2010 at 12:32:55 PM PST

[Post New]by clovis77 on Jun 25, 10 1:00 PM
Absolutely loved the other Dream Chronicle games, so when this one came up I bought it without trying it first & I am so disappointed!!!!! Nothing wrong with the graphics or ease of game play (which I thoroughly enjoyed) but it is SO short!!! Waste of money in my opinion & so wish I had waited until the cheaper version! They could have added so much more & I really wish they had.

ruthiepic
Flounder
Flounder
2,095 Posts

[Post New]by ruthiepic on Jun 25, 10 1:51 PM
trixibelle wrote:I have to agree with some of the recent posts. I am based in the UK and while I didn't have any problems with the girl's accent the game was way too short (completed in about 2.5 hours) and the puzzles too easy to be worth the CE price tag. Wish I had waited and got the SE. I really enjoyed the first two Dream Chronicles, the stories were believable and puzzles intricate, the puzzles in this game are all a bit too much the same. If you don't like being challenged then please get this game but I would'nt spend 20 dollars on it

My thoughts exactly!

BabyNurse123
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by BabyNurse123 on Jun 25, 10 2:00 PM
I can't even get past the chalkboard. The walkthrough's explanation of the codes is confusing and the picture provided to unlock the door does not work on mine. There is nothing worse to me than getting so frustrated at the outset of a game that you don't even want to go further. I play these games for entertainment and to relax after a long day at work; not to be annoyed. If anyone can provide a better explanation on how to get past this puzzle, it would be appreciated. Until then, I can't comment on the game other than to say the graphics are gorgeous and what I have come to expect from Dream Chronicles.

Masquerade32
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by Masquerade32 on Jun 25, 10 3:36 PM
I was very excited for this game, having played the last three and enjoyed them very much. I was eager to continue the story with a new generation and the fantastic graphics Dream Chronicles always provides.

What's New? Voice acting! Very intriguing. Sometimes I would miss the dialogue in the past games, and this insures that I don't miss a thing story-wise. The collection of Dream Jewels isn't new, but collecting certain amounts gives Lyra powers that help her solve puzzles. And then there's airship travel, which requires one mini game and one of Lyra's powers to get started.

Pros Graphics are stunning, as always. The music is beautiful. The voice acting is mostly solid. Most of the puzzles are easy to figure out. If you're a fan of the story, you will have to pick this up, you will enjoy it.

Cons Constant voice acting gets annoying. The game overall is way too short, and with easy mode gets shorter with the ability to skip some puzzles. And most puzzles were way too easy.

The Collector's Edition content is mostly good, though I didn't need the strategy guide as I thought I would. The wallpapers are nice, the downloadable soundtrack is pleasant, and I haven't seen the screensaver yet. But because I support the series, I will give twenty dollars for it. Most other players probably won't see otherwise. So, unless you REALLY like this series and REALLY want to play it now, get the Collector's Edition.

S1bby
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by S1bby on Jun 25, 10 3:46 PM
I've never posted before but am so angry I felt that I had to!

I won't repeat what nearly everyone else has said, I am just really disappointed with what has been done to a previously great series.

The extra content is an absolute joke and I have a strong feeling that a complete game exists somewhere, even if the rest of it is still in development. The only conclusion that I can come to is that what was a whole game has been split into 3 parts purely in an attempt to take us all for a lot more money.

Is BF going respond to all the disappointed customers in this forum?

[Post New]by angela1116 on Jun 25, 10 3:49 PM
loved all the others got this as soon as i seen it boy was i disappointed no way was this worth it

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Jun 25, 10 4:26 PM
Just played the demo and I have to agree with the others it doesn't grab me the same as 1,2,3 did.Think maybe it's because this has more help? I liked the challenge of the others.Won't buy collector's edition but will probably get the regular edition as I like sets of games and this might grow on me.Bound to be a 5th if the ending of 3 is anything to go by !!!

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jun 25, 10 5:22 PM
I played the demo and thought the game was OK, but not as good as what I was anticipating. Maybe the writers and development team from the first three wonderful games in the series have moved on, DC4 was made with a new team, and the decision was made to start a new storyline with a grown-up Lyra. I know that I'll still enjoy playing the game when I buy the SE.

intrestra
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by intrestra on Jun 25, 10 5:59 PM
I did enjoy this game - was shorter than I expected..... graphics were good the puzzles were puzzling.... not sure that it was such a good move to buy it - as I completed it quicker than I expected to and it was a little more than I would normally pay - I suppose it was that I expected more from a collectors edition..maybe I don't from now on.. enjoyed it though still feeling dissappointed and slightly ripped off.

Happy gaming

Edited on 06/25/2010 at 6:03:27 PM PST

Chaorite
Clownfish
Clownfish
940 Posts

[Post New]by Chaorite on Jun 25, 10 8:06 PM
Ditto with everyone else:-
- way too short
- felt very "thrown together" and incomplete
- not worth the $20 especially since all the bonus will get you is a look at some artwork

What I really got annoyed about was that this feels completely disconnected to Faye's journey which is what the DC series was about. Last we saw, Lillith was pregnant and vowing that Lyra wouldn't be the Queen of the Faires. Well okay, what's the next chapter there? How has that story unfolded?

The only real relation this instalment had to the original three was that Lyra and Tangle were mentioned along with some revived artwork from the first two games.

Having waited anxiously for this next chapter, I couldn't have been more disappointed.

Developers, stop trying to rush to the finish line to get it on the shelves. Take the time to really grow the story and build something quality. Believe me, as much as we whine about when the next game will appear, we appreciate when it finally arrives.

Sorry but this one is a miss.

Chaorite
Clownfish
Clownfish
940 Posts

[Post New]by Chaorite on Jun 25, 10 8:09 PM
KatCola wrote:Lyra's voice is AWFUL (worse than the fairy in Princess Isabella: A Witches Curse).(

The worst voice talent I've heard in the games so far was in Kuros. Isabella was a million times more palatable by comparison.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jun 25, 10 8:41 PM
sinshack wrote:

LOL my strategy for those puzzles is to hand off the game to one of my kids to do those parts for me. I start turning green within seconds. It is hardest for me when a great game comes out but it has 360 degree motion, because no matter how much I want to play it, I just cannot.

Alas, I have no kids to hand them off to! Wish I did cause it does seem like kids these days can handle first-person games with ease.

I know what you mean about not being able to own/play games which have 360 degree motion. It's so limiting not to be able to handle that kind of movement, but I can't either. No way, no how. I can't even handle too much vertical or horizontal movement in the background!

[Post New]by MsGretchen on Jun 25, 10 8:57 PM
I love the Dream Chronicles games. I have all of them and was having fun playing the trial version 2 The Book of Air so I bought the collector's edition and finished and was not as happy with this one. Was not worth the $20.00. Way 2 short and I was expecting this one 2 take off from where it was left off in the last game!!!!

Edited on 06/25/2010 at 9:01:11 PM PST

GmaGale
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by GmaGale on Jun 25, 10 9:53 PM
BabyNurse123 wrote: I can't even get past the chalkboard. The walkthrough's explanation of the codes is confusing and the picture provided to unlock the door does not work on mine. There is nothing worse to me than getting so frustrated at the outset of a game that you don't even want to go further. I play these games for entertainment and to relax after a long day at work; not to be annoyed. If anyone can provide a better explanation on how to get past this puzzle, it would be appreciated. Until then, I can't comment on the game other than to say the graphics are gorgeous and what I have come to expect from Dream Chronicles.

I had a problem with this, too. I was able to get 2 of the codes, but not the 3rd one - I don't even know where it was!. So...process of elimination, I set the 2 that I had the codes for, then just kept moving the 3rd one until the door opened (you need to click the handle as you go along). Once the door opens, you'll see the map, and should be able to go from there.

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Jun 26, 10 2:29 AM
I will definitely be waiting for the SE of this one. The story was really lacking - did not seem an adequate follow-up to the last DC. But the deciding factor was in reading the reviews about the BONUS chapter. For $20 I want bonus gameplay - not just extra puzzles and artwork. Very disappointing.

Go to: