theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Great Gatsby

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jul 16, 10 6:41 PM
Just finished the game and feel just like I do when I finish a great book. I really enjoyed this game. Everything was so well done. I have over 50 games now and this one is at the very top! Thanks so much BF and the designers of this game!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 16, 10 10:34 PM
Just finished playing the demo. WOW! Great game!

fireeyes5
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by fireeyes5 on Jul 17, 10 3:09 AM
One of the best games I have played in awhile...awesome

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Jul 17, 10 4:56 AM
I must admit that I found the book unreadable, but this doesn't affect enjoyment of the game itself - it's interesting to see that the Gamezebo reviewer, who gave this the maximum 5 (a very uncommon occurrence) couldn't stand the book either. The appearance is stylish, and the little 'extras' included in the gameplay make for extra fun. As someone who comes from the UK, home of Shakespeare who wrote Titus Andronicus (a chronicle of rape, violence, murder and cannibalism to give just a brief idea of content) I can't criticise the book's content. I'll have to take others' word for it that this is a 'great' novel, but bowdlerism is no part of my makeup - and who these days reads Lamb's Tales of Shakespeare (or Bowdler's own pathetic censored volumes)? A well-crafted game that's enjoyable to look at as well as to play... and I doubt very much whether any women were injured during its construction.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Jul 17, 10 9:54 AM
Excellent game! I'm not even the biggest HOG fan out there but to me, this was just as fun as some of the other genres I usually enjoy more. Game is superbly done and there is not a dull moment, literally. Even while the narration and storyline scenes are playing, you have work to do finding items. Each scene that you actually does play works that as you find items it progresses the story (while you are playing so no sitting around waiting for commentary to finish). You are given the option of finding bonus items too (books to fill the shelves in your library), letters that you later get to guess a mystery word (I enjoyed this part a lot). As you score points, you get to choose lavish furnishings to decorate the library, which was also fun. The story is interesting as well. The only mini game I had to play was also a lot of fun - words are falling from the sky and you have to type them fast and correctly, which later reveals a note with all the missing words you typed filled in. This is definitely one of the better HOGs I have ever played. Oh, forgot to mention, some scenes have little scenarios you can play out for bonus points too (making martinis for the crowd, fixing a flat tire, cleaning up hazards at a party). Awesome, awesome game!

2thick4u
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by 2thick4u on Jul 17, 10 11:46 AM
Funny I must be in the minority. I never had a thought about he alchol or story line I just found i boring. Although the mini games were a nice change and the word find fun. I just couldn't get into te game.

I will however try it again later when in a different frame of mind.

As for the comments on the story line and such, relax it is a game and unless you have read the book you wont understand the point of the story. So either read the book or dump the game. Reember we are just haing fun and if this bothers you, I am sure you can't possibly watch any tv cos it has got to drive you bonkers.

Remember a game is to have fun! I can't imagine what you have felt abot the morals of some of the other games if this bothers you. Relax an enjoy or dump the game nd try another one.

Not being rude or upset I'm just saying. . . .

[Post New]by susannejette on Jul 17, 10 12:54 PM
A great game !!!! Loved it

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 17, 10 1:15 PM
Well after only 10 minutes demo this was my 4th buy out of the last 4 games that we have been offered this week ... can I have shares in please ...

C

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Jul 17, 10 1:56 PM
Thanks, Janie for a really good, short review. I had hoped to see a post from annatar after she played.

cherb -- You'd need to buy a LOT more games! lol

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jul 17, 10 5:38 PM
i played 10 mins and had had enough. I don't like the voice interruptions as I play, I don't like the voice acting either...I'm not crazy about the 2-D cartoon graphics (I've loved cartoonish graphics in some games, but not these). I dunno...might be my mood, might like it better another time, might finish the trial later. But w/ all the good games coming out lately, this is not something going to the top of my to-buy list.

[Post New]by erinjen on Jul 17, 10 7:15 PM
I like the quality of the work done on the Great Gatsby site EXCEPT THAT...don't you think it would be helpful if the Barber Pole appeared more than once every 1/2 hour?

ncdeac
Pink Kisser
Pink Kisser
40,241 Posts

[Post New]by ncdeac on Jul 17, 10 9:45 PM
I adore this game! The scenery is beautiful and the game is fun.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 18, 10 8:39 AM
Have just finished. I beta-tested the game and wasn't too keen. I take it all back. Superb attention to detail and visually stunning. A real gem of a game. BTW I found a dunce's cap in my library! Apparently because I hit the hint button before finding my first object. Actually I meant to hit the guess button. Now I'll have to replay to clean that up!

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on Jul 18, 10 11:38 AM
I nearly bought this before the game even really got started--just for the music! And the game play is much more original than the regular HOGs. I loved the addition of word games woven in, too. I just wish I liked the book (heresy, I know, for an old English major!)

Coco157
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Coco157 on Jul 18, 10 1:40 PM
Although the graphics could have been a little clearer, I say "Well done" overall. I was pleased with the new elements and variety of game action. It definitely held my attention, and it made me want to reread TGG. The 1920's were famous for the decadence as well as the beauty and emphasis on artistic and personal freedom which is captured in this remarkable game rendition of Fitzgerald's infamous novel...Another winner, BF!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jul 18, 10 4:13 PM
burningswan wrote:Review of demo: While I am not a fan of domestic violence, this is a game based on a book and I think it is very well done. All this complaining about subject matter makes wonder... dead children's souls, tortured people, dismemberment, murder, drugs, vampires, witchcraft, grave robbing, dark, dark subjects, occult subjects are *not* getting the same flack as the busted nose, adultery, and mixing cocktails. Yes, the game is geared for adults and it should that should be known, but that said, I like the game. I like the story, the artwork, the presentation, the transitions and the adult subject matter. Think of it this way...I liked Ravenhurst, Puppet Show, Madame Fate and that does not mean I support or practice black arts! The music is appropriate for the era, but got turned down after 30 minutes. Like the guess the word minigame in each scene. Minor animation of characters within each scene. Clear and bright. Skip buttons available. Loosely based on F. Scott Fitzgerald. A must buy for me.

Forgot to mention: Objects are appropriate for the time, atmospheric, spoken dialogue throughout, no timer.

hi...unfortunetly there is a lot of flack to so called eerie games too....myself....i will give any game a try...its just a game

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 18, 10 5:17 PM
Well I just finished this great little gem of a game, it is unique and different, and very well done.
I'm not a huge fan of cartoon graphics, but they fit well in this game, finding the letters really added to the game play, although I am not very good at putting words together, I found this challenge to be one that I very much enjoyed.
I loved having to find a book in each scene, to add to my collection in the library, always a fan of having little extra's to find.
Wish there would have been more of the interactions, like making the drinks, finding the bodies, with the pool hook etc, because they where a fun addition, to the game play.
And than there was the typing, although they make me nervous doing them, I did very well, so that was a surprise...lol!
After completing each scene, you get to use your points, to decorate the library, LOVE, LOVE, that part, and there was some pretty nice items to decorate with.
I also thought they did a great job, at hiding the letters, and some of the items, where also well hidden.
Winning trophie's is always a plus also, this game for me, had a lot of variety, which I love, with the great Gatsby story, which was very interesting, and the perfect way to tell the story, never interfering with the game play.
This has been a great week for games, and I just enjoyed playing, every minute of this game, another HUGE , and money well spent, for this artistic piece of work, made into a FANTASTIC and interesting game :-)

slruser
Salmon
Salmon
2,654 Posts

[Post New]by slruser on Jul 18, 10 5:43 PM
When I first saw this game, I was skeptical that they would be able to do justice to this classic tale. I'm happy to say that I was wrong and the game is as true to F. Scott Fitzgerald's book as you could probably get in game-format.

The personalities of the characters were almost as rich as in the book, and the voiceovers were terrific. While the hand-drawn graphics are not my favorite, I'm sure realistic depiction of these opulent scenes was cost-prohibitive. The graphics are well-done and I did not have any trouble recognizing objects, although some were very cleverly hidden. Most of the objects were appropriate to the story, which is a big plus in my opinion.

The storyline takes a front seat in this game, but the mini-games are fun, as well. Finding objects in a moving scene is a different challenge and the option to 'decorate' the library with purchased objects was a nice touch.

The music added to the enjoyment of this game, as it was very true to the era. Overall, I found this game very enjoyable and highly recommend it for a change of pace.

glocal
Flounder
Flounder
2,408 Posts

[Post New]by glocal on Jul 19, 10 6:53 AM
JUst finished the game and will play it again. Need to get all the trophies, even if some are just silly.

I love the music, the era, the story. So a little blood, it will not ruin it for most. Like the different mini games, especially typing the words. I actually was really getting into the story which I kind of never listen to. I really want to see more of this type, even if cigar box is spelled sigar box and a few of the items are not exactly what I would think they are. Had to use a hint now and then.

It was intriguing to play and remember it is based on a old novel.

Cheers

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jul 19, 10 7:24 PM
There have been so many great games coming out lately now that I am just getting a chance to demo this one. I am a huge F.Scott Fitzgerald fan, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to savor the game when I did demo it. Maybe it is my love for Fitzgerald's work that makes me enjoy this game so much, but I think it is wonderful!

The music is true to the time period and enjoyable. The graphics are good and the minigames are original and fun. I like the fact that there are hidden object tasks "hidden" inside the hidden object scenes so you really have mutliple layers of hidden objects to find. Some of the scenes are junkpile, but the items are true to the time period which is a nice touch. I love the bonus of having the library to decorate. Definitely a purchase! Thanks BF!!

Go to: