SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hidden Mysteries: Vampire Secrets

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Jul 19, 10 6:50 PM
I was quite enjoying this game, not too taxing on the brain, but with enough puzzles that were different than I'm used to. A lot of interaction with items in inventory, great graphics, music didn't bother me at all, and I like going to and fro and back again. I also really like that there has not been a hint of a vampire yet because I am not fond of vampire-themed games at all.

Then I read all the comments, and feel I should give this another thought. I went to the walkthrough and found out that it will probably be a short game, maybe 2 to 3 hours.

Thank you all, you great fishies, for making me think twice about this one. A great DD, but I think I'll save my credit for The Great Gatsby.

cg

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jul 19, 10 8:44 PM
wow, i must be the only one who got stuck at the church! LOL only into Chapt. 3 after about a half an hour of the demo. I found the ****'s fairly easy, but that card game in the fortune tellers house was crazy. I stopped playing when I got stuck at the church, checked the walkthrough (Geez sometimes I can be so dumb!) and saw that it has like 10 or 12 chapters. based on 2 chapters in a half hour that means 5 or six hours for me. Will still have to think about it. Have been away from my beloved computer for 2 weeks and have had so many to download and try it has been crazy. Usually try to wait for dark to play HOG cuz the ****'s are just too hard to see in the daylight. All in all i thought it was a good game. I am still leaning towards more of the Little folks of fairy/VV/Artist Colony, right now. I get tired of HOG/IHog after a while, and the few TM games I own I get to frustrated with to finish. While I have counted that the majority of my games purchased in the past 3 years have been HOG/IHOG I like to be able to relax with a story and a movable cast sometimes too. Anyway happy gaming fishes! out of five for me!

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jul 19, 10 8:45 PM
I am not sure why it did that but the ****s were HOG or I HOG I was not swearing LOL

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Jul 19, 10 8:50 PM
boy am I in trouble,got four games to try plus this one.
and eating ice cream too.

smartsue
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by smartsue on Jul 19, 10 8:54 PM
I can't play the game. For some reason right after the Big Fish Game window at the beginning it stops and returns to windows. I've reinstalled twice but same thing. No warning,no error message, just quits. Too bad because it sounds like a fun game.

RickF
Minnow
Minnow
201 Posts

[Post New]by RickF on Jul 20, 10 3:41 AM
Really enjoyed the demo. Anytime the hour seems to fly by it's almost always a buy for me. The hidden objects are fairly easy to find, but figuring out what to do can offer a bit of a challenge.

Izziewizz
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by Izziewizz on Jul 20, 10 4:36 AM
I really enjoyed this game. I was amazed that it took so long - I usually trot through games quite quickly, so to find one that takes six hours, and isn't a CE*, is a delight.

I thought I'd be disappointed as I played it after I'd played Elixir, but no, I was very happy.

The hidden object scenes were quite easy in some cases, but there were some beautifully hidden things, and sometimes I could get through most of the list in a few minutes but spend another five looking for that one elusive last object.

I liked the adventure bits, ie, going back and forth to use objects in different places (oh, how long did I wait for that corkscrew to be the "useful object") and overall, I was impressed by the game.

Just one negative comment - I absolutely hate the "character appears from the side of the screen, speaks, and then disappears off again" type of dialogue. Please, developers, have them stay still!

purplemist
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by purplemist on Jul 20, 10 4:52 AM
I enjoyed the demo so thought buy it.....biggggg mistake.
The storyline got lost somewhere along the way....had to turn off sound as her voice started to really annoy me..in the end skipped puzzles just trying to see if it would improve....it didn,t.
I still don,t get the ending
Other than that.... yes it has clear graphics

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Jul 20, 10 5:12 AM
I had just started the 4th chapter when the demo ended so the game should last a little over three hours for me. I'm far from the fastest around here but the hidden object scenes and puzzles were so easy. I don't mind easy hidden object screens, but I want the puzzles to give a little challenge. Some of the puzzles were so easy I didn't even have to figure them out in order to solve them. For example, the voodoo doll puzzle where we are supposed to suss out the hidden clues as to which pin goes where. I tried to figure out the clues, gave up, and then solved the "puzzle" in seconds by trial and error. The tarot card puzzle gave a little challenge but even that was more mechanical than conceptual -- still though, not a bad puzzle.

My favorite funny thing is how you can putz around doing everything else and the fire still doesn't get any bigger. And it gets put out by only a cup full of water. If it's that small a fire, couldn't I have just spit on it?

Finally, I thought it was weird how Our Hero goes from not believing the fortune teller to immediately being transported into a vision (something we hadn't seen happen before) and just going along with it. Like, "Okay, I guess I do have these powers and will do what you said." It was too sudden and weird -- like the programmers just really wanted her to get to the church scene right away whether it made sense in the story or not. Sorry, if we start criticizing the story-telling in these games I know we'll never stop. But some of them, such as Golden Trails, do stick out for really sharp storytelling.

PS I did actually like a lot about this game, but Golden Trails and Elixer are better.

Edited for stupidity.

Edited on 07/20/2010 at 5:14:11 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 20, 10 8:09 AM
Finished it this morning and I did find it better than yesterday, even had to check the walkthrough ! Puzzles were quite easy (obviously we had the pipes business which tends to appear in most games), , just clever enough for my level.... The funny thing was that you could achieve them without completing what you should have done before (not sure I'm being very clear). Turned the sound on for a while, voices were nice, which makes a nice change from other games. I do get a little tired of finding hotdogs in **** scenes...Is the story reminding me of Twilight movies which my daughter loves ????This love story between a vampire and a normal person ? I suppose there will be a sequel as we haven't seen the bad vampires, but it will not be a buy for me. I'm still in the Elixir mood and off to play Golden Trails.

AZKalona
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by AZKalona on Jul 20, 10 8:11 AM
I love Hidden Mystery games and this looks like a lot of fun. Big thanks to Big Fish for all the great games lately. I'm like a kid in a candy store. Which one do I try next? The hidden objects in this game are fairly easy to find and the puzzles so far don't seem to be that hard. I just got done playing Elixer of Mortality. That was a very fun game. I love games by Vogat. Happy gaming everybody. This has been an awesome week for games. Big Fish you are the bomb!!!!

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Jul 20, 10 10:29 AM
A fun game and worth the time and money. The HOG scenes are good, as are the mini-games.

The ambience is appropriately creepy, which helps keep this run-around-to-every-room-six-times game interesting. But I admit to some disappointment at the lack of scary vampires. The young, helpful hero who suddenly appears is vacuous and boring. A vampire with his fangs removed.

And you have the option of getting help locating the hot spots. If you prefer, you can hunt around until you find them, which, to me, makes the game much more interesting.

Just one question: What happened to Aunt Rosie? The game just peters out at the end. It seems as though the lovers-to-be are in such a hurry to find a dark place that they forget to tie up the loose ends! After all, this whole adventure started with the quest to find Aunt Rosie.... I had hoped that she would turn out to be an Anne Rice Queen of the Vampires who would turn her niece, but no such luck!

chruke
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by chruke on Jul 20, 10 10:57 AM
Another great HOG. Thank you Big Fish. Just finished Elixir before finishing this one. Looking forward to next Hidden Mysteries.

DogBiter
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by DogBiter on Jul 20, 10 3:27 PM
I liked this one it's on my buy list...since I've bought nearly a hundred games, I've got to ration myself...

rpcv
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Good game but disappointing story line

[Post New]by rpcv on Jul 20, 10 6:38 PM
I liked this game very much. I liked the amount of detail and how much there is of it. HOWEVER, the ending did not seem well though out and I was disappointed, because up until then I was waiting to discover some answers that were never provided.

rpcv
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Good game but disappointing story line

[Post New]by rpcv on Jul 20, 10 6:39 PM
I liked this game very much. I liked the amount of detail and how much there is of it. HOWEVER, the ending did not seem well though out and I was disappointed, because up until then I was waiting to discover some answers that were never provided.

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Jul 21, 10 1:12 AM
Bring on the bloodsuckers!!! I was not a fan of the previous Hidden Mysteries games as I find plain old HOG boring without the adventure/puzzle aspect. A definite buy.

[Post New]by imisscrazylenny on Jul 21, 10 1:09 PM
I'm actually disappointed. I didn't realize I played through most of the game already in the free demo, then spent $7 to play the last half of the game. It went by way too quickly! I expected more to the game, and was in disbelief when the game ended like it did.

zazu2008
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by zazu2008 on Jul 21, 10 11:23 PM
I love HOG and I love vampire stuff. (Real vampires, mind you.) And I thought I would love this. Nope. Like someone else said the MC's voice started to drive me crazy after awhile. It was like watching a soap opera. A really bad soap opera. I just couldn't get into this game. Oh well.

[Post New]by PRINCESSWIMMER24 on Jul 22, 10 4:12 PM
I just finished the free play for this. I think that game has great graphics. I think that it seems a little too easy at times though. Not sure if I'm going to buy this one or not. I really prefer more a challenge.

Go to: