phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira!

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 8, 10 1:47 PM
Chris, one suggestion: Go back to making adventure games! LDM was brilliant, and I loved it! It was witty, funny, original, and just fun to play. This one is kind of... embarrassing. I would love to see an adventure sequel to LDM.

Grumpy - I've had this issue with uninstalling games. It is the games manager. If you are still having problems, PM me. I hate this "no tech talk" rule.

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Aug 8, 10 2:07 PM
Maybe it is the old west atmosphere – have to admit I seldom like games with saloons – I just did not like it enough to play past the first puzzle.
I am in the middle of moving and did not have my speakers for 3 days. The game would not run without the speakers. Don’t know why since all the dialog is written on the screen. The sound track was not entertaining to me or important to the game.
Once I got my speakers hooked up the game told me how long my name had to be before I could play. (Pet Peeve!) Who cares about the name, I know who is playing.
Then the big game starts, the **** are not difficult and the jigsaw was no challenge. I was just disappointed.
On to some of the other games I missed during the move.

[Post New]by HimalayaStudios on Aug 8, 10 7:39 PM
Thanks for these detailed replies, goofyduck77. It's always handy if someone mentions why they liked or disliked a certain thing as the feedback can be used constructively to make improvements or refinements.

Phatkhat: Don't worry - we're still creating Adventure Games at Himalaya Studios. We actually have an Adventure/RPG hybrid in development right now that's very similar to Quest for Glory. But unfortunately, progress on developing Adventure Games is always quite slow and they're also one of the most expensive types of games to produce (Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine took 3 years, for example. Our free "Quest for Glory 2" remake took 8 years!).

As for casual games, I'll admit that "Postcards from Anozira" was more-or-less a way to test the water in a genre we're currently less familiar with. But based on the feedback we're been getting, we'll probably take any future HOGs that we develop in an Interactive storyline-based direction (IHOGs). We're quite familiar with adventure games and inventory item management/usage, so perhaps this will be complimentary to the adventure-style games we normally create.

Edited on 08/08/2010 at 7:43:09 PM PST

bunnydog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,878 Posts

[Post New]by bunnydog on Aug 17, 10 8:00 PM
I had trouble getting the game started... music was playing but just a black screen. Went to Task Manager, canceled and tried again. This time the graphics did appear, but were disappointing.... I just didn't like the style of the artwork. I found the music to be annoying. I didn't like the tune and it seemed to be skipping or repeating, which made me wonder if something was wrong with either the game or my computer. I found it hard to find the hidden objects- they were often too small, too blurry, or so much like the background that I just couldn't see them. After about 15 minutes, I just gave up. As far as I am concerned, there are much better games available.

qwerty4
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by qwerty4 on Aug 31, 10 7:06 PM
The pits! Tiny, tiny items that I often couldn't see even after using a hint. Fuzzy, sometimes dark graphics. A max of 3 hints. This is a the type of HOG game that was usual maybe 5 years ago, but games have come a long way since then. 10 minutes of play was more than enough.

Go to: