Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 4, 10 7:06 PM
Jude_Rigby wrote:Have read all the reviews, but seeing 'dark' and 'magnifying glass' described here I'm gonna pass. Also, the screenshots for the game are too cartoonish for me, and there's something about Brunhilda that just bugs me, and having to see her the whole game... . I'll pass on the demon too, nm that he thinks he's a fairy.

But as always I do appreciate the reviews as it's incredibly helpful in me making up my mind on these games.

I'm heading back to Elixir of Immortality, gotta love it!
(And, hey, I'm a seahorse now!)

Please don't give up on it without trying it first. There are lots of games where I read reviews that mention some things I might not like, but when I try the game, I usually really like it. This one is DEFINITELY worth a try!

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 4, 10 7:09 PM
purplemist wrote:this is one of those games that come along once in while that are funny,,quirky..and not boring.
Throughly loved the voices for the characters and the storyline is great and stays on track.
Had no problem with the small objects.
Only one thing that annoyed me was the music..after about an hour u just have to turn it off or way down.

BTW, the music changes for every different setting.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 4, 10 7:10 PM
ember89 wrote:what unexpected fun?! it's amazing how far a little quanxi can get you...

i found that i didn't really mind the cursor, but was glad that it could be disabled... and the music was light, the voices amusing, and the characters almost quite silly... the rats, the demon, pierre, and that cat! i fully enjoyed my hour and plan to immediately!

now, get that wand out of my nose!

LOLOL!!!! Good one!

lindawithag
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by lindawithag on Aug 4, 10 7:42 PM
This is a buy for me! I enjoy the IHOG's - the very long and challenging ones - and although this game isn't in the realm of RTR and similar games, it is quirky, amusing and makes me smile - the voice acting alone does it for me. I usually keep the sound off on most games, but decided to give this one a try. Excellent! A great summer evening, just got off work and need to relax game.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Aug 4, 10 7:49 PM
penrose47 wrote:I bought this from the developers as soon as I heard about it.

GREAT GAME..... .LOVE IT

I am SORRY that most think its a "BAD GAME" b/c of a demon...IT is NOT a unchristian , EVIL, SPIRIT..
Its a helper who has a BAD SENSE of HUMOR. "A HINT BUTTON"

I played the game for over 5 hrs. I took my time and listened to the different voices and LOVE the story.

i am waiting for the 2nd part, I agree it left things WIDE OPEN for PART 2.

Happy Gaming
PEN

I beta tested this game and the very first turn-off for me was the demon. It's not just a helper with a bad attitude, it is described in the game and by the developers themselves as a demon. When I completed the survey for the developers, I made comment against "it" (the demon) considering the survey itself asked what my thoughts were on it. *shrug* sorry, have to disagree, whether it's meant to be funny or not, a demon figure is just that and not something I can handle. Yeah, I know...it's just a game...but it still bothered me to have it there in the first place.

As for the game itself, I got bored with it very quickly. Going back and forth and back and forth and the objects were too teeny! I did use the magnifying glass a few times, and still didn't help that much. Although many others feel the graphics were good, they weren't all that impressive. I know a lot of people were looking forward to this one, and hope those who bought it enjoy it. But is a no buy for me and gets

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Aug 4, 10 9:06 PM
Nope, not for me. I played for not quite ten minutes and what made my decision to uninstall the game was all the references to alchemy, telepathy, telekinesis, and wizardry and the potions you have to make. Sorry, but in good conscience, I just cannot play games that have a heavy reference to stuff like that. I just wish there weren't so many games that have such references. Another big turn-off for me was the demon character.

Edited on 08/04/2010 at 9:08:22 PM PST

[Post New]by Overantiquated on Aug 4, 10 9:58 PM
Ummm...not one of your better games.. Like Redemption and Columbus..even after turning off the black things comments, it kept talking and talking and I got tired of all the tutorial comments and just erased the game..My praise of Columbus Ghost of Mystery Stone..was that it is sooooooooooo REFRESHING to have a game that doesn't require the ongoing dialogue that depicts us gameplayers as "stupid"..I find the games that do that annoying and end up erasing them long before I find out if the game is truly good..note to the game designers, ":we are not idiots and we do not need to be asked the same question 2-3 times"..remember Microsofts Vista... are you sure? are you really sure?? and on and on and on it went..till we the public got fed up..then voila..they manage to make a platform without all the annoying commentary. again..we are not idiots. so I will not be buying this game to add to my 200+ library of games.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Aug 4, 10 10:05 PM
I played the demo and I thought the graphics were excellent, everything about this game, I really enjoyed. I've heard/read good comments regarding this game and I definately have to agree. If you are looking for a different and yet the same time fun, I would have to recommend this one. I hope you all enjoy and.....Happy Gaming !!!

Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Thaletta on Aug 4, 10 11:19 PM
Have definetly put this on my 'To Buy' List I love the graphics, the hints are great and very helpful and the voice overs are very well done. Cant wait for the monthly credit to roll in.

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Aug 5, 10 2:20 AM
I am unimpressed. The story was a bit different and quirky, but the tiny objects frustrated me. I do not enjoy playing with a magnifier - defeats the whole purpose of decent graphics.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Aug 5, 10 4:01 AM
puzzledone wrote:Options for screen are full, and when I saw "Panorama" I was so happy for widescreen laptop. But didn't work on my W7 15.6 widescreen, still the bars on each side to fill screen. I hope someone fixes the driver or whatever to put Stretch back in screen settings. Some games do fill the whole screen, but only 3 so far on this Win7 with AMD graphics. Sorry for the news if you have same bars, who knows where Panorama works, not on my new Toshiba.

I have a HP 15.6 widescreen laptop w/Vista and also have the black side bars to fill out the screen. It makes everything even smaller. Like you, I wish it were truly Panorama or widescreen.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 5, 10 6:40 AM
I have a 17 inch widescreen HP laptop and also get the black sidebars, but it doesn't bother me. My monitor is large enough, so those sidebars don't worry me.

I love the graphics of this game, and the gameplay is really fun.

What I don't like is that we are shown every step of the way what we have to do and who we have to talk to next. It feels almost as if this is a game for little children or a never-ending tutorial. Also, the demon is talking a little too much for me.

Other than that, I very much enjoy the game and have bought it.

nixyseven
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by nixyseven on Aug 5, 10 6:42 AM
Just finished the one hour demo. I got through 1.5 chapters (out of 12) in the hour, so that means it's a nice long game. (Too often I've been finding iHOGs are only about 2-3 hours)

I didn't have any problem finding the small objects... you just have to look a little more persistently. There's no timer, and lots of hints if you need them. I needed a hint once or twice during the demo and didn't think it was a "kids game."

I loved it... cute story, thought the characters were adorable, the graphics and sound first rate, and I know Codeminion makes great products, so I'm definitely going to buy it.

I think some of the negatives mentioned here are very much personal taste, and not a reflection of the quality of the game, so IMO everyone should at least try the demo and not reject the game based on the comments in this thread.

nixyseven
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by nixyseven on Aug 5, 10 6:43 AM
Valdy wrote:What I don't like is that we are shown every step of the way what we have to do and who we have to talk to next. It feels almost as if this is a game for little children or a never-ending tutorial.

That's because you're playing in easy/casual mode. Play in adventure mode to turn most of that off.

[Post New]by TwinBottles on Aug 5, 10 6:54 AM
Valdy wrote: Also, the demon is talking a little too much for me.

Hi Valdy,

there is an option to mute demon comments - you can find it in Options menu. We added it because some people found him a little annoying. But you can always get your revenge by clicking on him repeatedly, he hates it (seriously, try it!) ;-)

nixyseven was faster than me, but he is right. If you wan't more challenge go with adventure mode. Most highlights will be gone :-)

Konstanty

Akamar
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Akamar on Aug 5, 10 7:15 AM
There's a lot of running back and forth, and occasionally it puts me off. But it's so cute, and the story has piqued my interest. I'm planning to buy it here in a few minutes.

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Aug 5, 10 8:06 AM
I'm always skeptical when fishies say the objects were too small, but during this demo, my eyes actually started to burn! And the magnifier didn't help much. Problem number 2 was, not the back and forth between rooms in chapter one, but the lag time for drinking the potion. I started to think it was the developer's means of loading the next scene. And lastly, as some others have mentioned, all those characters with their incessent demands made me want to say, "No thanks, I think I'll just let your magic kingdom rot!" Brunhilda is a very patient person.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 5, 10 8:17 AM
Valdy wrote:I have a 17 inch widescreen HP laptop and also get the black sidebars, but it doesn't bother me. My monitor is large enough, so those sidebars don't worry me.

I love the graphics of this game, and the gameplay is really fun.

What I don't like is that we are shown every step of the way what we have to do and who we have to talk to next. It feels almost as if this is a game for little children or a never-ending tutorial. Also, the demon is talking a little too much for me.

If you play the adventure mode, there are a lot less directions.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Aug 5, 10 9:17 AM
Too much dialog and too slow to load. Disappointing, and I am usually easy to please.

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Aug 5, 10 9:23 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm done. NOOOOO! I WANT MORE! ack! this game took me like 6 hours to complete. I stayed up most of the night, and bought it before the demo was even done! (a truly rare occurence for moi). (sobs madly) I want more. SNIFF!

Awesome, in every single way. Some details were tiny, but there's magnifying glass, and our demon "friend" (try tickling him on his tummy lol!)

To the developpers, awesome AWESOME fantastic piece of work/art. To BF, THIS is the kind of games you need, the quality, the storyline, the NO ACCESS VIOLATIONs (breathes a sigh of relief). ok, off to replay.

Go to: