Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

Re:Post any Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows technical issues here only

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Aug 17, 10 10:05 AM
I have been waiting for this game for a long time. But in view of all the posts about technical difficulties and glitches, I have decided to forget about this game. Maybe sometime in the future, when and if the game is completely clean of problems, I will buy it. Pity, because it seems it is a good game, but I buy them to enjoy, not to pull my hair out because of frustration.

QUZEMOTO
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

Re:Post any Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows technical issues here only

[Post New]by QUZEMOTO on Aug 17, 10 1:56 PM
every time i exit it pulls up internet and takes me to try the game.

[Post New]by ladydee1967 on Aug 18, 10 1:42 AM
I am kicking myself in the ****! I had 42 minutes on the trial version left and decided to buy the game...now it says installation failed. Before any of this happened it automatically downloaded the new game manager. I am really frustrated with this and will have to wait until I get home from work before I try any fixes and contact customer service....grrrrr

[Post New]by lillibel on Aug 18, 10 4:35 AM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted a solution to the frozen screen after purchasing the game..I was getting soo cross that my cursor wouldn't move..would never have thought of a new player Many thanks !

I've played a number of these games..love the MCF ones but still don't know what the 'I' in IHOG means! Could someone tell me as I feel v silly!

77Emma77
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by 77Emma77 on Aug 18, 10 10:11 AM
Well, firstly I downloaded and played the exclusive version. Just to find out what that game is about. I knew that soon the basic version will come out.
Everything went quite right.

A litth while ago I downloaded this version and while verifying, I uninstalled the exclusive one from my computer.

When I launched this new one, it recognised my login from the previous one. But when I really wanted to play, I only could see black background, with menu, inventory and question corner on the top of my screen. NOTHING ELSE. the music played, bud nothing happened.

what is wrong with this?

Mookhebbe
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,213 Posts

[Post New]by Mookhebbe on Aug 18, 10 11:23 AM
ladydee1967 wrote:I am kicking myself in the ****! I had 42 minutes on the trial version left and decided to buy the game...now it says installation failed. Before any of this happened it automatically downloaded the new game manager. I am really frustrated with this and will have to wait until I get home from work before I try any fixes and contact customer service....grrrrr

I have the exact same problem. History repeats itself. New Game Manager, a lot of problems. And as always it will be my computer who is the blame. This stinks

Edited on 08/18/2010 at 11:24:04 AM PST

[Post New]by BJsBoat on Aug 18, 10 1:33 PM
Same here. Gave up 47 minutes of trial, new game manager, downloaded...will not install. Says "Installer cannot write files to the game directory I have chosen on Drive C (769-1001)" Does anyone know why?

[Post New]by paisleybuddy on Aug 18, 10 1:45 PM
I am Stuck looking for the quill after lighting the lampost outside the castle gates. I uninstalled the game and went under a different name when i re-installed it but having the same problem again. Can anyone help please

[Post New]by LadyVampy on Aug 18, 10 2:05 PM
Even though there is an option to skip the intro you can't physically move the cursor in order to select it. The cursor only frees up once the game begins and creating a new profile does not do anything. This happened on the CE as well.

I really wanted to get the full version of this game but feel a bit disenchanted with the whole thing after the black screen issue set me back to the beginning. Seriously, issues like this shouldn't occur after a game has been through beta.

[Post New]by LMSchwartz01 on Aug 18, 10 6:13 PM
I played the Standard version rapidly and skipped some puzzles. No problem. Now I am playing again under another name. I got to the Princess's bedroom, opened the cupboard and raised the portcullis. Then I had to quit for a while. Now the portcullis is back down and the cupboard no longer works, even though the handle is still down. I cannot go through the portculls, and I cannot raise it again.

joannickle
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
45,038 Posts

[Post New]by joannickle on Aug 18, 10 6:21 PM
I really want this game. I am so disappointed that it is such a mess. First the crash then the curser, Then items disappearing. To many to go on about when are they going to fix this.

heartless500
Catfish
Catfish
1,605 Posts

[Post New]by heartless500 on Aug 19, 10 6:31 AM
Wow, am I disappointed...
really enjoyed "House of Stone" and was looking forward to this one - but it has turned into a nightmare.

I did not go for the CE version, instead waiting until the regular version came out - tried the demo first to "make sure it would work on my computer" - that ran fine for the 30+ minutes i played it - went ahead and bought it - then the trouble started.

1st - it downloaded a new game manager, then downloaded the game - that seemed to go fine.
when i went in and started the game again it took me to where I left off, BUT, I couldnt move the cursor, at ALL! tried to bring up the task manager to end - nothing...had to manually restart my computer to get out of the game!

tried again to start the game with a new "profile" - ok, that worked - UNTIL i got stuck on something, closed out of the game to check the walkthrough for a hint, went back to the game and the same thing happened! went back to where I left off, but frozen! cursor would not move, could not do anything. Again, I had to manually restart my computer to get out of it because the task manager would not open either. (I HATE having to do that!)

so, I uninstalled the game, re-downloaded, printed out a copy of the walkthru (just in case I got stuck somewhere again, i wouldnt have to close the game to get a hint)
started the game and there were BOTH of the old profiles! Hmmm, went ahead and created yet another profile - got as far as giving the wine bottle to the tavern owner - he started talking, the lower right corner said "click to continue" - I did, and ...wait for it...NOTHING!!! it was FROZEN, again! GRRRRRrrrr!

And the first tech to tell me that the problem is with MY computer is gonna get an earfull!!! Since it is obvious that there many others with the same types of issues happening...the problem is with the GAME! (i will be sending a ticket out for this one with the same info as I have posted here.)

Needless to say, i should have come here first - had I known there were so many problems with this one, i would not have bought it! REALLY dissappointed

77Emma77
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by 77Emma77 on Aug 19, 10 12:18 PM
is anyone going to sort this game out and when approx?
or should i just uninstall it from my computer and forget about it for ever?

[Post New]by elizclayton on Aug 19, 10 5:47 PM
LMSchwartz01 wrote:I played the Standard version rapidly and skipped some puzzles. No problem. Now I am playing again under another name. I got to the Princess's bedroom, opened the cupboard and raised the portcullis. Then I had to quit for a while. Now the portcullis is back down and the cupboard no longer works, even though the handle is still down. I cannot go through the portculls, and I cannot raise it again.

I am having this problem. The gate is down after I supposedly raised it. I hope there's a fix....

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Aug 19, 10 11:22 PM
Oh Boy. What a tedious game. I installed and uninstlled about 6 times to get through this game. Thankfully, after uninstalling and reinstalling, it kept me at the level I was at. The game did not freeze on me, but if I exited and then tried to go back in, the game was stalled and upset my computer. As for the game,lots of pretty graphics and hiding places. Each puzzle was compelling and some very hard to solve without help. I did like the interaction with the ghosts. I became tired of going through the dungeon back and forth and up and down. But riding the raft was a blast. Overall, a very nice game. Hopefully, BF can take care of the stalling problem so it can be completed without having to uninstall and retinstall. Worth the money. Thanks BF.

bkl8303
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by bkl8303 on Aug 20, 10 4:34 AM
Okay I give. I've done everything that u guys suggested and even though I'm in the trial mode it is making quite difficult for me to consider buying. I too am getting the black screen and have to ctl del. Aaarrrggghhh. I have the other game and would really like to play this one. HELP.

4815snow
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by 4815snow on Aug 20, 10 6:29 AM
I'm having the same problem in the factory. Have reinsatalled numerous times, it doesn't help. Just a dark screen no matter how many times you re- install. I'm on the trial version, am not about to purchase hoping it will make a difference. cause it never has with other games

[Post New]by miss5angels on Aug 20, 10 10:02 AM
Has anybody else had trouble with this game saving?? Every time I quit and then go back, I'm back to the entrance and have to start all over.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Aug 20, 10 12:30 PM
It's never a good sign when there are more forum pages of technical issues than there are of comments and reviews.

There are several different problems in this thread of varying degrees of difficulty to fix.
Black screen is a graphics driver problem. Some people may need to do the standard Windows Update. Whatever the problem, I hope that you have reported it to CS.
Click on the green envelope, then the Contact Us hyerlink, then select Technical Issues from the drop-down list.

Please be aware that you are telling fellow players of your problem(s) if you post to this forum, not arranging for your problem to be fixed.

Rockdiva
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Rockdiva on Aug 20, 10 7:06 PM
BJsBoat wrote:Same here. Gave up 47 minutes of trial, new game manager, downloaded...will not install. Says "Installer cannot write files to the game directory I have chosen on Drive C (769-1001)" Does anyone know why?

I am having the same problem! I played the entire trial version and liked it, so I bought it. Now I am getting the same error when I try to install the rest of the game. I completely removed it and tried again, with the same result! Hope they figure it out soon!

*UPDATE* I started the game manager today and it showed that "Echoes" was ready to activate, so I figured what the heck, I'll try it again, The first time it gave me a different error message, saying to check & make sure my internet connection was working. It was! I downloaded another trial with no problems, so decided to try activating "Echoes" one more time........it worked!?! Go figure!

Hope the rest of you have the same result!

Swim on Fishies!!

Edited on 08/21/2010 at 11:58:44 AM PST

Go to: