JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Exorcist

[Post New]by JanG7 on Aug 24, 10 12:17 PM
Thanks BFG for the 50% coupon today. Now I can purchase this game without having to wait for my game credits.

Enjoying the theme and the objects are fairly easy to find. Hope this continues throughout the game.

Having a few very minor technical issues, but I can live with those.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Aug 24, 10 7:52 PM
Thank you, fishies, for all the great reviews.

I found this game quite different than the usual fare. No clear-cut instructions about what to do next, or how to do it. I played my hour demo and still feel the same way. It's almost as if you're left on your own most of the game. Which, IMHO, is a good thing.

I loved the voice overs, just loved them. Great accents, quick talking so no game lag. Without them, you wouldn't get the flavor of the game.

The graphics are beautiful; there were times I had to turn the background music off as it was annoying; the story is catching, and I, personally, think it is a hard game to play for a H O G.

I used one hint because I didn't quite understand what the game was looking for; and I skipped the cross puzzle as I just wanted to get on with the game to see what the rest of the gameplay was going to be like.

Love creepy games, and this passes that test. Am not a Roman Catholic, so was lost in some places, i.e., the holy water.

Have some credits and the 1/2 off today, so want to get something. Is this the one? It's on my list. Will let you know in the afterlife.....

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

Boring!

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Aug 25, 10 1:17 AM
Boring and old-fashioned. Either this is a re-issue of an old game or the game designers haven't kept up with what's happening in the world of ****/puzzle/adventure games.

77Emma77
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by 77Emma77 on Aug 25, 10 12:26 PM
this was quite a simple game.
i liked the sceneries, they were really nice.
also the voices of zebar and mephisto were good.

there could have been a hint what to do with mouse to cross the river, that the right click turns the wood.

the puzzles were easy (just the painting gave me a bit of harder work)
plenty of hidden objects (i have deleted some games because they were just about searching the objects and putting pictures together, like ravenhearst, for example), but i appreciate a bit of complications when certain objects were not on the same scene as the rest of them in the list. that really felt as searching.

some objects were hidden too well that they became invisible. i needed to use the hint to move further more than i would normally do.

also the laugh of the demons in the cursed buildings was always the same... or was it only the laugh of mephisto?

[Post New]by A_Brame on Aug 29, 10 7:56 PM
I didn't finish the demo on this one. After the first few scenes I got so used to the footprints appearing at the bottom to take me out of the scene that I stopped looking in the lower areas, until entering the house and an item was tucked far down and to the right, and I wouldn't have even known that's what it was without using a hint. Was using hint far too often because I was looking for a door knob instead of a door handle, or trying to figure out exactly what I was supposed to do.
Experienced a little bug with the gears in the door lock. When I took them off to try new locations, they would no longer go onto the locations. Kept returning to the side of the lock. Only had to exit the screen and return to make it work again.

Hard to find items, but the graphics looked good. Skipped the scenes since it was a trial.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Aug 30, 10 7:25 AM
too dark, the objects too small

lilrikku32
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,089 Posts

[Post New]by lilrikku32 on Aug 31, 10 10:14 AM
To many glitches in this game. Out of about a dozen times trying to play this game I only got through it 3 times. The other times the game just frooze.
I had to just the hint button alot of times to find items,to dark and cluttered. Sorry but this game is gonna get uninstalled.

[Post New]by cowenz on Aug 31, 10 6:48 PM
just one word.. boringgg.. i don't like it, not a buy for me.

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by togood2be on Sep 3, 10 11:32 AM
Not a bad game, I finished with one piece short on my tarot card. Have to try again. Maybe tomorrow.

Schmootoo
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Schmootoo on Sep 7, 10 8:35 AM
Didn't finish, as already said some places were too dark, some objects too small and with no magnifying glass I just got tired of it - fair enough you can use the hints but with so many obscured and miniscule objects I would have ended up waiting for the hints to recharge while sitting with my face 3cm away from the monitor. Not the game for me.

noirangel
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by noirangel on Sep 7, 10 1:36 PM
I really love the game. I think the graphics are great and the hidden objects are not too hard to find but just hard enough to be a challange. I loved the dragonflies and frogs part and having to try and "catch" them. I think the cut scenes are good but the cursor problem is a real pain. It floats around and is all herky jerky in some scenes, very frustrating. But I'm glad I bought it anyway.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Sep 8, 10 7:49 PM
Exorcist (IHOG)

I must say I'm a bit surprised that I didn't see more of a buzz when this was first released.

Exorcist is an interactive hidden object game with an interesting story and nice graphics. The voice overs are very well done, and I love the font (style of writing) they chose to use during the cut scenes.

The hidden objects are all story-appropriate, and some are devilishly hidden. Impossible? Not enough that I was totally frustrated. Definitely difficult to find sometimes, though. Find items on a list, occasionally by sketch (more than a silhouette, but not quite a picture of the item). Puzzles and interaction throughout.

This game isn't as straightforward as some IHOG's. You have to figure out what you're supposed to be doing sometimes, and I like that - makes you think Once you get the hang of what the developers are trying to do, it gets easier and more intuitive.

Formulaic in that you skip between three scenes, then move on to a set of three new scenes. Movement is done via clicking on a picture of the location you wish to go to or by using the "footsteps" cursor.

Something different that makes you think, nice environmental combination of graphics and sound effects and eerie without being disturbing. A solid thumbs up from me I purchased after the first chapter

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Sep 14, 10 5:21 AM
This is a surprisingly good game. It's American in that terms are definitely different for some things, probably British.

Items ARE very small and you have to use some hints, but not that many, and I usually don't have to do until the last item I need.

When you need to place an item from inventory, you see a "gear" icon and a blue tint to where to put it, so it's not that hard to figure out.

I didn't like it when I first tried it but when I perservered, I liked it more and more. I got the hang of playing and didn't need a walkthrough but it was still a challenge and required thought.

I liked the graphics and it's a long enough game to keep you occupied for a while. Let the voices say all the dialogue and you'll enjoy it more.

Just when I thought it was over - it wasn't. It's still going and I haven't finished it yet. It's not that creepy and I hope the sequel is a bit more sophisticated, but it's worth purchasing!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 22, 10 4:43 PM
Without a doubt, the worst HOG BG has ever created. If you do not have carpal tunnel after this one, you never will. The smallest objects, hidden in the darkest corners of the screen makes for nothing but frustration and boredom. I am soooo sorry I bought this game. Someone must have been out to lunch while this one was created. The story is dumb and boring, the graphics are grainy and unclear, and the puzzles are just plain stupid. DO NOT WASTE any money on this one, you will be sorry.

[Post New]by elvasam on Sep 23, 10 12:13 AM
I really liked this game. Loved the storyline, the graphics, sound effects, etc. I turned the music off because background music is too distracting for me. I only wish the ending was a little different. I think it would have been more enjoyable had he had to go back to find his lady in the graveyard with some hazards along the way. The ending was pretty cool but it left me wanting more. I am glad I bought it. But wish it would have been a longer game. I think it could be improved though. Like have the option to turn off the placements of things - you go to place something and it shows where to put it. I would have loved figuring it out on my own. I would suggest that you provide that option. I agree some of the items were hard to find but I was glad that you weren't penalized for a lot of clicking and was also glad you got unlimited hints. Like what everyone else has said some things were hard to find and getting a hint here and there really gave you at least an idea of where those things were. I am using the word "things" a lot here so has not to reveal anything to those that have not completed the game as yet. So please excuse the repeating of this word.

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Oct 13, 10 8:29 AM
I, too, really enjoyed this game. Again, almost didn't purchase it because of all the negative comments but went ahead and took the "plunge"!!!

Had no problems with any prior reported "glitches" (windows 7, laptop) -- only thing was a rather jumpy cursor every now and then. This was rectified by shutting down the game for a few minutes and then restarting from where I left off and then all was OK -- no big deal!!!!

Certainly it was somewhat easier than some I have played recently but that's a great break from becoming "mind-boggled" as a few of the extremely difficult games tend to do. I didn't find anything (hidden objects) too hard to find in any of the scenes and, if so, I just used a hint which recharges very fast. I certainly found no areas to be dark or fuzzy. Puzzles, in my opinion, were fun to do and didn't require a "pen and paper" to figure them out. The graphics were terrific -- can't comment about the sound cuz never play with that on unless absolutely necessary.

This is a testament of why you can't always rely on negative posts to purchase or try a game. I sure would have missed out on a totally easier but fun game.
And what was nice, for a change the ending turned about to be solid without the promise of "to be continued".

frankib
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by frankib on Oct 23, 10 7:24 AM
Just finnished an enjoyable game some of the areas are dark but not impossible to use. Hints are good dont know about sound never have them on. Walkthrough is avaliable but most of the game areas are straight forward to follow.

muppetmel
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by muppetmel on Jan 7, 11 6:00 AM
I just finished this game. I bought it a while ago, and truth be told, it made me a little nervous at first --- very dark and quite scary. Well, it was FANTASTIC and worth the purchase! The story was great, the hidden objects very well done and I was astounded at the spectacular artwork. I recommend this highly! I was surprised at how good it was.

momma0_7
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by momma0_7 on Mar 24, 11 4:50 PM
I enjoyed this game until I came near the end when it froze!!!
I don't understand why I can't start over from the beginning!!! WHY!!!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Mar 25, 11 4:34 PM
I have to disagree with the majority on this one. I thought it was a compelling game. yeah I do agree that some of the objects were hard to find but I thought the story was good and it was just difficult enough to make it fun. I wasn't going to even demo it at first because at 48 I still get freaked out over the movie. Won't watch it ever but what I played in this demo was nothing related to the movie. I will buy it at some point. Right now I am already working on two.

Go to: