lovintnt
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

[Post New]by lovintnt on Sep 5, 10 2:36 PM
I turned off the custom cursor. It did not solve the problems. I will wait until this is fixed to buy, or go without if it isn't fixed.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Sep 5, 10 2:42 PM
ladygem6 wrote:Unlike most of you, my concern is with the puzzles, not the cursor or the inventory. They seem to be difficult and often and I don't want to spend most of my time with this game solving puzzles. I like the creepiness of it, though it could use more, the music is ok and so is the graphics and humor.
Is anyone else having trouble with the puzzles or think they are difficult? I have seem some posts who said they thought them too easy. Maybe I am just dumb but what do any of you guys think about the difficulty level?
Would appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks.

I'm with you! Check out my post just a few before yours. We're not dumb...they are difficult.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Sep 5, 10 2:56 PM
Thanks KathyGriggs, for your comment! At least I know now I am not the only one who thinks the puzzles are difficult. Not sure if I will buy or not as I get really frustrated when I can't solve a puzzle. But 4.99 is a price you can hardly ignore.
For now, the jury is out.

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Sep 5, 10 3:45 PM
ladygem6 wrote:Unlike most of you, my concern is with the puzzles, not the cursor or the inventory. They seem to be difficult and often and I don't want to spend most of my time with this game solving puzzles. I like the creepiness of it, though it could use more, the music is ok and so is the graphics and humor.
Is anyone else having trouble with the puzzles or think they are difficult? I have seem some posts who said they thought them too easy. Maybe I am just dumb but what do any of you guys think about the difficulty level?

Lol~maybe we could start a 'Dummies Club' ladygem. I too read all those posts about how eeeeeasy this game was but I was wandering everywhere trying to figure out what to do to get what. I was really excited about this one after seeing a post yesterday. I dunno...prolly not a buy for me.

[Post New]by cingil3 on Sep 5, 10 4:32 PM
I played 11 minutes and got frustrated because the cursor was glitching. I thought I would enjoy the game but until the issues are worked out it is a no buy for me.

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on Sep 5, 10 4:47 PM
Loved the game. No cursor or inventory problems at all. The game ran smoothly on my Win7 laptop. It's definitely an Adventure Game, and I usually suck at those, but this one was easy for me to figure out. There's not too much endless running around back and forth, there are a lot of puzzles, which I love, but again, not too difficult or frustrating, except for the very last one. I had to skip that last one, because I didn't pay attention that the colored balls had to be in a certain order and I was just too lazy to fix it. LOL

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Sep 5, 10 5:10 PM
The graphics are great, storyline interesting, the little voice overs although rare when used are excellent and spooky sounding. The puzzles you can skip quickly and I did skip the majority of them too hard. Hints very helpful and leads us in the direction what to do next. The worse part of the game is what ruined it for me. What kind of ending is that? To spend many hours playing the game and to end up scratching your head and saying "what just happened? looking now for someone to explain the ending." Other than the ending I had a fun time. I want to add I had no trouble with the cursor or any tech part of the game. Sorry to hear others are having problems. I am playing on Vista 32

Edited on 09/05/2010 at 5:12:19 PM PST

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Sep 5, 10 5:46 PM
After purchasing the game I started to regret it. The puzzles start off pretty easy then become extremely hard. I sometimes wonder if this is to get people to love the game and buy it during the 1 hour demo many sites offer. The hint button wasn't very helpful as I continued the game and loaded very slowly. The ending was just blah.
I'm glad I did not pay full price for the game.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Sep 5, 10 5:55 PM
I am enjoying this game, my first "adventure" game. I am following the walkthrough, as sometimes I miss things, but am able to figure out some of the next moves myself, so I don't feel like a total dummy. Actually it is easier than some of the IHOG games where I have had to follow the walkthrough for every single step. Some of the puzzles are easy and some of them I have to use the walkthrough for. I think I skipped 2 so far. The atmosphere and sound effects are delightfully creepy.
So far, I haven't had any technical problems and the cursor is working okay. I am running Windows 7 on a fairly new (9 months old) desktop with 8 MG of Ram.
It was nice being able to purchase it during the Labor Day sale, for $4.99.

NikkiNox
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by NikkiNox on Sep 5, 10 6:00 PM
I loved this game! It was perfect for a lazy dazy weekend of gaming fun. The puzzles were difficult enough to go do the dishes and think about what you need to do then go back and do it. I never skipped a puzzle, I did seek a few hints, I liked the "no holding your hand policy", all in all I really enjoyed this one! Thanks BFG!

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Sep 5, 10 6:01 PM

You guys who don't like the puzzles and think they are hard are not dumb. This style of game does take some getting used to, and a lot of it is in how your brain is wired. If you look at the wide variety of puzzle types people love and hate, you can really see this illustrated well. It's a little like those folks who were good at math in school but terrible at grammar, and vice versa. It's not that either group is stupid, it's all in how their brain actually works.

There was recently a thread about puzzles and Robilyn commented that she hated the puzzles in the original Ravenhearst game. I LIVED for the puzzles in that game and wished for a skip button on the hidden object scenes! A dear friend of mine adores the game "Curse of the Opera" and I skipped all but maybe 3 puzzles in it because I found them to be too frustrating, so I did not enjoy the game at all. I'm not dumb, and she's not dumb- just different tastes!

bfgOkeechobee
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by bfgOkeechobee on Sep 5, 10 6:08 PM
I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know we're aware of the issues some folks are having with the cursor in the game and are actively working on this issue.

If you are getting the bouncy cursor, you may want to try updating your video card driver and/or Direct X. These updates fix most common display errors. Here is a help article with more information: Game Crashing, Freezing, Blank Screen.

If you have tried these steps and are still having issues it would be helpful to send a Dr. Felix in your message to Customer Support. Dr. Felix is a diagnostic reporting tool the tech team uses to get a lot more specific information about what is happening with the game. If you're uncomfortable completing the following steps, I want to urge you to contact Customer Support for more specific help.

Click here to start Dr. Felix

1. Select 'Run' or 'Save File' to download the Dr. Felix file to your desktop.
2. Next, open the 'DrFelixBigFish' file.
3. Once you’ve agreed to the terms, Dr. Felix will start gathering information.
4. Wait for Dr. Felix to finish, then click the 'Next' button.
5. A .zip file, named 'DrFelixResults' will save to your desktop.
6. Attach the zip file to your support ticket. You don't have to open the .zip file if you don't want to, it's already collected the information it needs.

Click here for information on how to attach a file to your support ticket.

Thanks everyone!

bfgOkeechobee

[Post New]by sheckyd on Sep 5, 10 6:29 PM
I haven't had any problems with lag-time. I love the game! This will be a definite purchase for me!

I like games that don't always need a walkthrough - sometimes it is fun to just be able to figure things out on my own.

Just MHO.

mummac
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by mummac on Sep 5, 10 6:35 PM
Best game I have played for awhile. Story very intense but I couldnt stop playing until I found the solutions. I had no problems with the cursor or picking up inventory items. Thought the puzzles excellent with some really hard thinking and having to go away, come back and start again. Really enjoyed this one...thank you.

jma0909
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by jma0909 on Sep 5, 10 7:03 PM
After reading the reviews, I didn't know what to expect, since I am not a big fan of straight adventure games, but, this is a very intriguing game. It is not so complicated that you have to keep looking to a walkthrough for where to go next, but, enough so that you have to think and hunt around for what is next. Bought after about 20 min. Thanks for the discount weekend BF!

notredame
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

Re:Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

[Post New]by notredame on Sep 5, 10 7:27 PM
gentlegirl wrote:Hi!

I just tried this game and i like it. The downside is that the cursor can not be controlled when i try to use something from my inventory. Very frustrating. I have sent a mail to customer support.

I would have bought this game and was excited to try it. Thanks goodness I tried it.
I had the same problem as probably 1,000 more of us. Cursor spoiled the fun.
Glad I tried it out first. Definitely will not buy this one. You could do better Big Fish!!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Sep 5, 10 8:02 PM
No problems with the game...was so into it that the trial ran out. Usually i stop and go ahead and buy before that happens. I totally forgot about the sale so paid full price I like that I can figure out what to do without all the endless wandering around, clicking everywhere, and getting frustrated. I also like the bits of humor that i have found. I have used the walkthrough for a couple of the puzzles...but then I had just come off my three twelves and was exhausted. I didn't expect to stay up and play the game; I just wanted to try it. I am now drinking my 'morning' coffee, checked news and email, and BF, and I am going to return to the game any minute now, lol.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Sep 5, 10 8:07 PM
The game is excellent, and those who are having problems with the cursor should not be put off permanently! The developers and BFG are working on a fix, and a new build should be available soon. Try it again when it is updated!

As to the difficulty, it is certainly no Riven, but it is not mind-numbingly easy, either. The puzzles do get harder as you go. I am a hard-core adventure gamer by choice, but I DO enjoy these casual adventures that are a bit easier than the usual LFAs.

There are a handful of games that I have played this year that really stand out as "great", and this is one of them, along with Clockwork Man 2, Magic Encyclopedia 3, Snark Busters - all of which have great production values, a good bit of humor, and challenging puzzles.

And Cordia is right, even those of us who are good at puzzles and love them have puzzles we dislike or can't do. I love "lock" sliders, but hate picture sliders. I love pipes, wires and gears, but hate those ones where you have to flip switches to turn all the lights on or off. The puzzles are good for your brainpower, but if they are not your kind of puzzle, well, skip 'em and go on to the ones you like, LOL!

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Sep 5, 10 8:40 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this one!
BF Guy, we need more like it!

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Sep 5, 10 9:32 PM
This is a first - I bought a game before the demo ran out. I was intrigued by the first couple of mini-games - they made you think, with the right level of difficulty

I hope my impulsiveness pays off when it comes to the length of the game. Nothing makes me feel like I've been ripped off (like the last Dream Chronicles game) than a game that has a shorter-than-average playing time.

If I decide that I don't like the game, BFwill be the first to hear about it.

Edited on 09/05/2010 at 9:33:27 PM PST

Go to: