patkerash
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by patkerash on Sep 11, 10 2:56 AM
What a great game. Hated to see it end. Better than the first one. These guys know what they are doing.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Robilyn on Sep 11, 10 3:38 AM
I bought my first CE, and I must say I am impressed. I loved every minute of it. I have played for 4 hours, and I am only on chapter 4. I also love having a built in walkthrough. This game is beautiful.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 11, 10 4:41 AM
Well, the headache never came on (but thanks, Shadowfax44, for your offer of a doctor's note!), so I waited until I got home last night to play. Wasn't disappointed! Great music, great graphics and everything I hoped for. Was a litle stymied at the beginning, with the knife, stick and rope, but once I got past that (with a little help from the Forum!), everything fell into place. I bought it after 30 minutes of playing. The **** scenes are a little easy, but that's ok. I haven't had to resort to the Strategy Guide yet, but it's early going. I enjoy a challenging game, and this certainly seems to be one.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 11, 10 4:42 AM
The four stars stand for hidden object. I keep forgetting not to use that abbreviation!

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Sep 11, 10 8:01 AM
Wow, I love this game! Beautiful graphics and unique puzzles. I'm glad I bought the CE since I'm not sure that I would know where I was without it. Always mute the music so I can't comment on that. Great story line. Because of the puzzles and wandering around, this game seemed longer. Awesome game; thank you BF! Two thumbs up

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Sep 11, 10 8:53 AM
Liked it very much but will wait for the regular version. I can't see spending the extra money for what little you get in return.

This looks like a very good game otherwise.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Sep 11, 10 9:10 AM
Really really loved this game. Felt like it just went on and on and was happy with the additional CE rooms. Did that chicken scare anybody. I know I jumped and laughed afterwards.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Sep 11, 10 10:29 AM
Yes, that chicken made me spill my coffee. It was like 4:00am and I couldn't figure out what the chicken was about. I finally did, and it scared the carp out of me.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Sep 11, 10 11:05 AM
Can't wait to try it! I have been waiting to try this since I bought the other Edgar Allen Poe Collector's Edition Game and saw the little Flick in it about "The Black Cat"! I've been so excited for this to come out! I'm downloading this now! I am so glad to see so many great reviews I will probably buy it especially with the discounted member price for CE's now! Shower first...then games...as a belated Birthday prezzy for myself!

merry49
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by merry49 on Sep 11, 10 11:44 AM
Can anyone tell me how long this game is? I finished the demo in less than the hour trial and don't want to buy the game without knowing whether it will be worth it from a time perspective.

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Sep 11, 10 12:00 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game! Graphics were wonderful, puzzles and hidden objects were just challenging enough to make it interesting. The music was nice, and not overbearing.

One of my biggest pet peeves is usually that a game isn't long enough, but this one was a very good,long length, especially with the extra chapter in the CE.

I would recommend this game for sure! With the new $13.99 pricetag including the strategy guide, it is well worth the money.

Thanks BFG, this one rocks!!!!

[Post New]by mom2ericha1960 on Sep 11, 10 1:59 PM
I did not like it like the other poe games, it isn't a search and find type game, rather a clue type game where you have to find the clues to solve the mystery and I don't care for them. I like the seek and find games better

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Sep 11, 10 3:11 PM
Also have the other Poe games...and I think this one is the best. Had to buy the CE because I needed alot of help from the stratedgy guide. Mini puzzles are different and hate to admit I had to skip a few....When I had one key left I thought "what did I miss"... but then then came up the place I needed to use it. I give this game a 5 out of 5...wonderful game

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Sep 11, 10 4:11 PM
great game enjoyed every minute of it.

goddess280653
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by goddess280653 on Sep 11, 10 5:59 PM
Just finished the demo and love it !!!! Definite buy for me !! My computer is 4+ years old and I didn't have a scrap of trouble playing it - its a shame all games don't run like this one. Thanks BFG for another awesome game - happy gaming fishies. I know what I'll be doing for the rest of my Sunday avo !!

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Sep 11, 10 9:02 PM
Just finished and I should like this game better than I do.

First of all, I have to comment on the music. Music has to be very good (Briar Rose) or very bad to get my attention. I thought this music was excruciating and took my earphones out for big parts of the game. It sounded like some horrible carnival music.

Then, there were some kinks. Like, when you are supposed to get the chalk, only it didn't give me the chalk. I went back and played it two more times before I got chalk.

Also, there were many places where I tried what I thought I was supposed to do, but because this game is really finicky about placement, it said I was wrong. Then, I would consult the strategy guide and it would confirm what to do and I would go back and try it until it worked.

And, a couple of things were just devilishly weird. Like where the tiger box is. Not someplace one would ever look for a lockbox.

I found the bonus level to be a very short yawner.

On the other hand, I LOVED the chicken. That was priceless.

All in all, an okay game, but not a favorite.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editio

[Post New]by judy76073 on Sep 11, 10 10:12 PM
mhatfie wrote:Another spooky one. Great graphics. Love it ! Demo'd for 5 minutes and was sold. So many good games to play, so little time. I may have to retire. Hope everyone enjoys.

I TOTALLY have to agree with your comments !! I am already retired and don't have enough hours in a day to do what I should be doing and play these awesome games as well !!!!!! Lord love a duck !!!!! I've been getting stumped in this game so many times - I love it !! - I back up right to the start and go through every room time and time again (maybe I'm not "quite" getting things) - however, I'm getting hours and hours of absolute and total enjoyment out of this game - I think I'm still somewhere in Chapter 5 - 1 more chapter to go before I get to the bonus !

I must go now - it's just after Midnight here, I've been up since 6 AM - have to get my "smart" sleep (as opposed to "beauty" sleep) just in case there's another "big bang" game coming up in "TGD" on BFG !!!!!!!

WOW - I absolutely love this site for games ! BFG - great games !!

gntpat
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by gntpat on Sep 11, 10 11:23 PM
This ranks as high as Salem Witch Trials and the other Poe game. All full of interesting things to do. While playing any demo where I am so engrossed I dont want it to end, that's the game I'll buy. I bought this yesterday and finished it today.
I cant recommend it more highly. Great art work, music is pleasant, tasks meaningful and took lots of thinking. I must admit I did use the strategy guide often, but found it easy to follow.
Congratulations.
I want to visit you in Seattle. I live close by.

Ealo
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editio

[Post New]by Ealo on Sep 12, 10 12:38 AM
zorroback2 wrote:SUPERB GAME!!! LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!!!! ALL IN ALL!!! 5+ stars !!!!

I loved this game also It was great playing this game. The only problem I have is that there should be a map of where everything is. I get lost going back to rooms and then have to look and end up going in circles

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Sep 12, 10 3:00 AM
Well, as I complained in "This just isn't right" thread, I got lost straight off (as did a lot of others apparently) and there is no strategy guide in the demo -- GRRRR - so I had to buy the CE immediately.

And I'm loving it. I would have bought this CE anyway because the series is great and I can't wait to play, but I still want the SG in the demo! As someone else said, what if you had tech probs with it?

However, no probs here, and everything is great.

A special note on the music: my poor long-suffering husband, the amateur musician, has to sleep while I play, and he hears the music while he sleeps. Sometimes it wakes him up, sometimes it affects his dreams, sometimes I wake him up to ask something about it.

Well, tonight he reallly needs his sleep because he has a triathlon tomorrow and hopes to finish 1st in his age group. Do I have any mercy? No. I must play. The truth is, he has nice dreams to the music and if he wakes up he goes right back to sleep.

Tonight he woke up spontaneously to comment on the music being very similar to the music in another game (probably the other Poe). When asked, he groggily said he liked it and was having pleasant triathlon dreams thanks to the music -- so he's predicting a podium finish!

Needless to say he will be very happy if this comes true and he gets his hardware (not Felix hardware, but silly athletic stuff). I will report back as to whether or not his dreams came true. If so, he will be very happy with BFG!

Oh, and I agree that the chcken was hysterical, and the Chevalier is HOT! I just wish we had a sexy voice for him!

Go to: