debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues her

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Sep 30, 10 10:15 PM
xtranicedeb wrote:Can you please tell me which folder my saved games should be in? I can't seem to locate. Thanks.

I am using Windows 7, and my saved game files are in:

C:/users/my_user_name/AppData/Roaming/ERS Games Studios/Dark Tales - Edgar Allan Poe's Black Cat/data

balian55
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues her

[Post New]by balian55 on Oct 1, 10 4:45 AM
Ok now i have another new problem ...after many problems with the game and i got really helped from the Bigfishgames supporter thanx to them now i wanna play the game again i finished the game but i can`t play the bonus!!! it is really makes me disappointed! the game is great i love it and i enjoy it after many e-mails back and forth to fix the problem now i can`t play the bonus ...please please i need your help
i really appreciate your time

Edited on 10/01/2010 at 4:49:12 AM PST

CatfishT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues he

[Post New]by CatfishT on Oct 2, 10 3:41 PM
wispywillow54 wrote:
mommyvargas wrote:Went through the demo no problem, bought it and now it has cut off 3 times. When I restart the game Starts at the very beginning with the Profile states that the previous file is corrupt and I must start over from the beginning. HELP!!!!

I just ran into the same thing. I uninstalled and have reinstalled. Going to try again now and see what happens.

Me too! I have updated my driver. I have uninstalled and re-installed the game. It has crashed a total of three times for me and each time I have to restart the game. Ugh!! I really like this game. Please help!

CatfishT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by CatfishT on Oct 2, 10 3:55 PM
debdeb11 wrote:Game crashes for me after every 3 -5 moves from one room to the next. Have also noticed that it crashes within one move or so after looking at the journal. Same problem as others - my save game file is corrupt & I have to start over. The only way I have been able to get ahead in the game is copy my save game file to another folder, then when game crashes, recopy into the saved games folder. This works, but very very very tedious & slow going as I have to save every 3 - 5 minutes in case the game crashes. I am running Windows 7 on an HP notebook that is less than one yr. old. All drivers are up to date, have installed & reinstalled game several times to no avail. Reinstalled flash & shockwave. Have tried running the game with all programs, including background apps, closed, still no luck with the frequent crashing..I have never had a problem with any bf game, very sorry about this one as it is such a good game. I would LOVE to just simply play the game.....I am hoping I will get some answers from tech support & hopefully a resolution.

Thanks for the people who wrote that they have new computers and are still having this issue. I was thinking about finally breaking down and buying a new computer. Whew, I'm glad I rechecked the forum. There must be something off with the program.

CatfishT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by CatfishT on Oct 2, 10 3:56 PM
tweens63 wrote:Oh my stars, do I feel stupid (hits self on head). I had forgotten that I had disabled DirectX Draw and 3D for one of my previous games. All I did was change it back and I was in! Right click on your desktop, go to Properties--)Settings--)Advanced--)Troubleshoot and make sure your Hardware Acceleration button is set all the way to the right (Full). Hope this helps a few of you out!

I checked and my Hardware Acceleration is on full. Didn't help but thanks!

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by alpinescott on Oct 9, 10 6:18 PM
I downloaded the collectors edition. Downloads just fine, saves the file and then the process locks up. I have downloaded twice and each time the process stops responding.

CatfishT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by CatfishT on Oct 9, 10 6:57 PM
SUCCESS AT LAST - I think . .

After the game crashing on me 4 times even after I uploaded the latest drivers etc, I decided to uninstall, reinstall and try it one more time. This time I TURNED OFF THE CUSTOM CURSOR and turned the music to 0. It crashed one time after that, but this time my saved game was still in there and I didn't have to start from the beginning again. Just to be on the safe side, I closed out of the game about 3 more times before I finished to give it a save point and it saved my game every time.

I'm now on to the bonus section which I'll probably do tomorrow because frankly 6 hours is plenty of time to sit at the computer. ( It still took a long time to load in between scenes, but I'm not sure if that's the game or my ancient computer. Plus I took a couple snack breaks while I was exiting and restarting the game. So that's why it took so long.) Hope this is helpful to some of you. Best of Luck!

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues he

[Post New]by roxiefoxie on Oct 10, 10 12:23 PM
Prairie_Belle wrote:I am also having trouble with the magnet pulling up the gear in the jar. I've dragged the magnet down to the gear and have placed the magnet everywhere on the gear that I can think of. Nothing happens.
Now I'm stuck - SO close to the end.

[Post New]by roxiefoxie on Oct 10, 10 12:24 PM
I also cannot pull the gear up with the magnet very frustrating. Now I am sorry I bought the game!

jackinin
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by jackinin on Oct 11, 10 6:47 AM
I am also being booted out tried 4 times now,getting really annoyed now.My hubby has also been booted out twice.It is always at the boiler room ,are you going to get it sorted soon cos I really want to finish the game........

[Post New]by harekut on Oct 13, 10 11:58 AM
Paid for the game, installed it and uninstalled several times, got to level 2 boiler room. First it let me in, then had to go back outside and now kicks me off every time I try to go back to boiler room. Getting really mad. Think I will ask for money back if problem not solved by BF

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Oct 14, 10 12:20 PM
In all the years as a member of BF this is my first post, sadly it has to do with the issue of the "corrupt file" and crash.

Yes, after playing so many games, the issue of this particular game is related to the game itself and not the computer.

I run windows vista and having the same "corrupt file issue".

Is other sites that are giving a "fix" with the download, so I expect BF to do the same soon.

Is nothing more aggravating than getting to almost the end of the game to have all the efforts erased.

I will like to finish the game, sometime.

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Oct 14, 10 1:11 PM
Hey Fishies,

We have taken note of the corrupt file message that some of you are receiving and are looking into it. If we do get an update, we will post in the Game Forum first.

If you have already gone through the troubleshooting steps in this help article:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

And are still experiencing crashes or freezes, please contact Tech Support with as much information as you can (including specific error messages, a screenshot if necessary, etc.) and they will be happy to help you.

Thank you!

-bfgArnoStyx

[Post New]by angiepants_029 on Oct 17, 10 3:35 AM
Hi,

I had the problem where i went to click 'Play' in the game manager and it just wouldn't play and come up with 'this program has stopped working .exe' or 'a game is already running'

The way i fixed it was by going into the 'Control Panel' and then 'Uninstall a Program' which is in or under 'Programs' and uninstalling the big fish games manager. Then going back onto big fish games website and downloading the demo version of a game or re-downloading The Black Cat game again.

Hope this helps

reneesenn
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by reneesenn on Oct 19, 10 8:47 AM
This is the second game that I've bought that has been giving me the corrupted file message (the first being Redemption Cemetary). I am nowhere near as patient or computer savy as some of you are, so I'm just going to not buy anything else until someone fixes these issues. I don't like wasting money on games I can never finish. This seems to be a problem that is becoming more and more prevalent with more and more games.

[Post New]by leana27 on Oct 24, 10 11:47 PM
mommyvargas wrote:Went through the demo no problem, bought it and now it has cut off 3 times. When I restart the game Starts at the very beginning with the Profile states that the previous file is corrupt and I must start over from the beginning. HELP!!!!

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!! DID ALL THE HELP AND EMAILS TOLD ME TO DOO AND STLL NOT WORKING PROPERLY! IT SHUTS DOWN AND WHEN I RELOAD IT SAYS CORRUPT FILE!! DEFINITELY SOMETHING WRONG IN THE GAME

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Oct 28, 10 9:05 AM
Like I said earlier is not the computers, is the game itself, I have been playing the BF games for a while, Is not problem before I had countered and no fixed, either with help or by myself.

But this particular game is prove to be a challenged, I am waiting for BF to fix the problem, I still will like to finish the game as is one of my favorite types.

I am getting a new computer for the holidays I hope windows 7 is not a big problem with BF as vista was.

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Oct 28, 10 10:04 PM
Just wondering if Big Fish has heard anything further from ERS Games about a potential fix/update to the game crashing/corrupt saved game issued. I received this message from BF tech support on Sept. 28:

``I'm very sorry to hear about the continued difficulties with your game. At this point it seems what we may be encountering is a bug in the games programming and I apologize for this inconvenience. I can certainly offer you a refund of the purchase price at any time but our best bet may be to wait for an update to the game. In most cases, known issues with games will be fixed in the form of a new build of the game. However, in situations like this we are kind of at the mercy of the developers while we wait for a new build of the game to be delivered.

I would definitely recommend keeping an eye on the Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition Forum for game related updates in the near future. When an update is received, we will definitely post the related information there! ``

I chose to keep the game as I really enjoy it and have been patiently awaiting a possible fix. However at this point am wondering if I should have chosen the refund? I know as mentioned in the email that BF is at the mercy of the developers, but I would assume that BF also has ongoing communications with developers and that perhaps they know of a potential timeline for a fix. And secondly, I have noted there are the same issues for some people on the new Haunted Hills: Green Hills Sanitarium game, which is by the same developers (ERS Game Studios). I would very much like to purchase that game as well, but am quite concerned about running into the same problem with no fix. If the mods have any info available to pass on to us, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issue

[Post New]by marg6043 on Oct 29, 10 7:22 AM
debdeb11 wrote:I chose to keep the game as I really enjoy it and have been patiently awaiting a possible fix.

I agree with you, sometimes we forget that the developers are the ones at fault with the games not the BF site, that is why I also decided to keep the game and have all the time of the world to wait for the fix, is plenty of new games coming out everyday to keep me busy, for the time being.

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed reading.

Edited on 10/29/2010 at 7:26:45 AM PST

reneesenn
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by reneesenn on Oct 29, 10 8:57 AM
I finally got this game to work, that is how much I loved what I had played.

I deleted ,again, and redownloaded. I also redownloaded adobe flash (though since I did these two at the same time I don't know which one was helpfull or if the game just likes making me do a dance). I then turned off the custom cursor (also don't know if this helped, I'd done it before and it hadn't) and I finally made it through. Though now I'm sorta afriad to turn the custom cursor back on.

Go to: