Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Royal Trouble

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Sep 25, 10 12:04 AM
Overall, this is exactly the kind of Hidden Object or Adventure game I like--you're not just fetching random items, but everything you pick up has a purpose or three. The music was fun, and, thank you very much, no silly "British" accents done badly by Americans. Game play was brisk and interesting, and the hint system worked nicely when I came up against a challenge I couldn't figure out.

The graphics, unfortunately, were nothing special, and I got seriously irritated when I realized that if you send up the wood without first using it to break the mirror, you'll be unable to progress--and the game allows you to do this. That seems to me to be poorly thought-out. If it stopped you at the Library door if you don't have a mirror (and the door is laughably easy to figure out even without one), that would be better. Still better than that would be to have something else, like, say, a stone or a piece of masonry like the kind lying around in every frame, as the mirror-breaker.

Aside from those issues, I really enjoyed this one. The clever reference to Coca-Cola's original use as a stomach remedy (not to mention its unexpected usefulness as a cleaning agent--no, really, it works) also rather tickled me, as a collector of unusual trivia.

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Sep 25, 10 11:49 PM
Joyfullady wrote:Royal Trouble:
Length for me in casual mode about 4.5 hrs. I skipped three puzzles due to time constraints.

Pros:
Storyline is in cartoon form, creative, imaginative, humorous, refreshing, and a real change from the doom and gloom and occult. I didn't want to stop playing once I started it.
Would make a lovely family game. It is the type of game that makes you feel good with a happy ending!
The graphics were excellent and I loved the facial features on the characters.
There is a lot of dialogue to read. Not sure if adding voice choice would be good or bad.
The two character role playing and interaction was very enjoyable and the method of communication between the two was sheer genius.
Characters and dialogue kept me in stitches it is so humorous. Unique characters. Cartoon quality of Cinderella. With beautiful and imaginative graphics.
The puzzles went from easy to challenging! Very creative.
The hint system was glorious - you could get as much information as you wanted - more companies should do this. No running to walk through or strategy guides this way!
Very reasonably priced for this quality game and I look forward to Orchids second offering.
Had a lovely ending!

Cons:
I'm a reader so the amount of dialogue with humor did not bother me. I have had games that go on and on that do drive me nuts and ruin it. So the designers will have to watch this on the next one.

It ended - can't wait to see these two perhaps plan a wedding and go on more adventures together!

Agree with your review all the way through. As for my idea, II sorta conjectured that perhaps their two Royal fathers cooked the whole thing up to bring their proud, irascible children together so I'd like to see a sequel to see if I'm right, plus to take part in the revenge of the Librarian and the Alchemist on the Bad Guy.

Very enjoyable, light-hearted play and a very nice change on dark HOG games.

Sablesshadow
Manatee
Manatee
4,347 Posts

[Post New]by Sablesshadow on Sep 26, 10 7:00 AM
What a terrific game. I thoroughly enjoyed this game, and am looking forward with great anticipation for their next game.

Does anyone know what other games the developers might have out there?

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Sep 26, 10 9:15 AM
Just finished this extremely enjoyable game. What a romp! Excellent clear graphics, amusing dialogue, good puzzles (had to skip one though), mixing potions (always a sucker for those) and a sexy feisty girl heroine and a handsome prince (sigh). What more could anybody want in a game.

I didn't need a hint but others have said it was a staged one, which sounds good. It reminded me, with the eccentric side characters, of the "Monkey island" and "Discworld" games of old.

Hope there is more of these two characters.

OtekOrchid
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by OtekOrchid on Sep 27, 10 6:34 AM
Hi Kyasarin!

As I see you have missed something - I advice to play again ! It is possible to break mirror without wood logs... You can break mirror with nearly anything else (only handkerchief won't brake the mirror) - did you try it?

But it's nice to hear that you enjoyed the game!

Kyasarin wrote:

The graphics, unfortunately, were nothing special, and I got seriously irritated when I realized that if you send up the wood without first using it to break the mirror, you'll be unable to progress--and the game allows you to do this. That seems to me to be poorly thought-out. If it stopped you at the Library door if you don't have a mirror (and the door is laughably easy to figure out even without one), that would be better. Still better than that would be to have something else, like, say, a stone or a piece of masonry like the kind lying around in every frame, as the mirror-breaker.

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 6:37:16 AM PST

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Sep 29, 10 5:00 AM
That's not really the point. The point is that, if you miss breaking the mirror before you enter the library and don't have anything in your inventory (I move objects out of mine as soon as the opportunity presents itself), the game won't allow you to pick up anything else in order to break it. A dedicated object would have been, IMHO, a better decision by the game's creators. It was a frustrating flaw in an otherwise highly-enjoyable game.

OtekOrchid wrote:Hi Kyasarin!

As I see you have missed something - I advice to play again ! It is possible to break mirror without wood logs... You can break mirror with nearly anything else (only handkerchief won't brake the mirror) - did you try it?

But it's nice to hear that you enjoyed the game!

Kyasarin wrote:

OtekOrchid
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by OtekOrchid on Sep 29, 10 6:04 AM
Hi !

Kyasarin, and what about weights in Library? They are accessible, you can pick them and use for breaking the mirror after you entered the Library... But I understand that you would like to have the dedicated object... Actually I'm one of game creators and I would like to be sure that there are no frustrating flaws or situations in game that you are unable to progress. That's why I put my attention to your post - and as I see it's not so bad - you won't be blocked (but of course still we don't have a dedicated object for this situation - you just have to use almost any object you can have).

And once again I have to tell this - I'm happy that you liked the game

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Sep 30, 10 12:53 AM
O HAI! Heh, I should've guessed from your username that you're one of the developers.

Like I said, I tend to move objects out of my inventory the minute I can (personal quirk, I suppose). So, once I got into the locked room in the library, I set the weights down on the counter. It was only after that that I went back and tried to break the mirror. In other words, it was a bad coming-together of my particular method of gameplay and a quirk of the game. I know, though, that I'm not the only one who encountered this problem and had to back up and replay a portion of the game. It's something to think about for future games for you, I suppose.

I really did like the game, though. Like I said, it's my favorite kind of hidden-object game--not just fetching random objects, but finding things that'll be useful. I hope that you'll be coming out with other games along the same lines, because I'll gladly buy them.

OtekOrchid wrote:Hi !

Kyasarin, and what about weights in Library? They are accessible, you can pick them and use for breaking the mirror after you entered the Library... But I understand that you would like to have the dedicated object... Actually I'm one of game creators and I would like to be sure that there are no frustrating flaws or situations in game that you are unable to progress. That's why I put my attention to your post - and as I see it's not so bad - you won't be blocked (but of course still we don't have a dedicated object for this situation - you just have to use almost any object you can have).

And once again I have to tell this - I'm happy that you liked the game

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Oct 8, 10 8:11 PM
Royal Trouble (Adventure)

This is a story-driven adventure game, and you will be missing a lot if you skip through the story. There is a narrator voice-over, plus written conversations between the prince and princess.

The first tutorial hint comes up automatically, and you have a choice to skip further tutorial hints if you wish.

The options menu gives you separate slider bars for music and sound effects, plus a windowed/non-windowed mode.

The general credo for adventure games is "click everywhere". There is a tiered hint system in this, giving you bits of advice at a time, rather than all at once. Just click the "More" button to see what you're supposed to do. There is no refill time, take hints when you want to.

The game is heavy on humor - it's not to be taken seriously. The interaction between the characters is very tongue-in-cheek, as are the journal/hint entries. It starts off very easy - almost too easy - so be sure to give the demo a little time before making a yea or nay decision.

Quirky and humorous with nice art work. Definitely one to try if you like adventure games... or even if you're new to adventures!

[Post New]by bingojerry on Oct 16, 10 4:46 PM
I have to say I was a little disappointed in this game. Not that it wasn't good, it was just so short. I played the demo and was hooked, so I purchased the game. What a mistake. It was over before I knew it, with no options for replaying. I think it's a brilliant game, but I prefer a little more value for my money. I realize that it was well done and free of bugs (which I appreciate), but I suppose I prefer games with a little more longevity.

[Post New]by littlemamam on Oct 21, 10 10:43 PM
The game was so cute It was a very nice diversion which makes they money well spent. In addition to that my 10 year old daughter hopped on and spent hours playing it when she stayed home sick yesterday. It was easy enough for her to enjoy but the tip and skip system worked when she got stuck.

I'd love more games from this developer! Send them straight to my inbox plz.

Akamar
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Akamar on Oct 30, 10 12:03 PM
I really liked this one. It's the first one I've been REALLY happy with in quite awhile. more like it, please?

ManuelCalavera
Shark
Shark
12,542 Posts

[Post New]by ManuelCalavera on Nov 1, 10 9:58 PM
Utterly charming! It's a small scale adventure game with gorgeous graphics and delightful music. Don't expect a large file experience - just enjoy the relaxing romp. I actually found myself stepping back out on the Alchemist's terrace just to watch the shooting stars again. I hope to see more from Orchid Games soon!

sonbanon
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by sonbanon on Nov 1, 10 10:10 PM
Played the demo and loved it; cannot justify buying based on reviews that read I'll only get 2-3 hours of glameplay.

bunnydog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,878 Posts

[Post New]by bunnydog on Nov 17, 10 7:48 AM
I just finished playing this game and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was great to have a game where the graphics are crisp and clear and you didn't have to get close to the monitor to try to find things. The story moved along in a logical sequence and the puzzles and games related very well to the plot. The characters actually had personality! There was dialogue, but it was so appropriate that I didn't mind reading it at all... it just seemed to belong and didn't seem too much for me. The hint system was wonderful ... you could get one hint, go back and try to work things out and then go back for more if you needed to. Perhaps there could have been more instructions for the puzzles, but not having them made the game more challenging. I did end up skipping one puzzle because it was getting late, but I think I would have eventually figured it out on my own. Congratulations to the developers for creating such a great game and to Big Fish for bringing it to us. Definitely a game I would recommend to others!

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Dec 9, 10 8:10 PM
Overall Impression: a lighthearted, fun game

Media Description: The graphics are nice and bright and crisp. The voiceover that transitions you between the characters is well-done.

Storyline: a little rushed near the end perhaps and leaves you with several questions unanswered. Other than that, I found it to be consistent and very entertaining. It is told through a ton of dialogue panels. Skipping them will not only leave you wondering what's going on but will also severely shorten the game.

Gameplay: This falls into the casual adventure category so there's quite a bit of wandering around trying to figure out how to do what you need to do and how to use what you have in your inventory. However the game is broken down into small segments that must be completed before you can move on so you don't have complete free-rein to explore whatever you want to explore.

HOG Scenes: There are only two scenes that could be called HOG scenes. Neither one is difficult.

Minigames/puzzles: The whole game is basically a puzzle, trying to figure out how to get out of the spot you're in. Sometimes it was a bit difficult to figure out what you needed to do, but it was never impossible.

Hints: The hint system was unlimited and refilled in a reasonable amount of time.

Will Probably Appeal to: those who enjoy lightheared, quirky games with a sarcastic sense of humor

Will Probably Not Appeal to: those who dislike a lot of reading in their games

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Feb 6, 11 10:37 AM
BabyVampJC wrote:Not a buy for this girl. I got down to the last level in the demo. Cute though, just too easy or too short.

Really...last level within 1-hr?
I'm curious - Was this accomplished playing by yourself... without walkthrough/hints, or was this overly speedy-gameplay cumulated with help/cheats? Although the post is appreciated, it's hard to get a good idea of the game's [your] playtime without those notations.

BlueOctober
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by BlueOctober on Feb 25, 11 9:24 AM
I really enjoyed this game! As others have said, it's cute and quirky. Yeah, the dialogue was a little much, but you CAN click ahead to speed it up.

Skips for puzzles, which I love...although, I don't recall needing any? Not sure...but definitely enjoyed this game.

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Apr 20, 11 5:26 AM
I haven't finished the game yet, but here is my 2 cents so far. If possible, the game designers should be beaten about the head and face for one extremely annoying thing. When you hover over an item with the magnifying glass and the text comes up describing the item, the text is in white and almost always virtually unreadable on a white or light-colored background. About 75%-80% of the time, I cannot read the text. How could this happen? Common sense tells you that the text should be readable and it's not.

Other than that, I like the game. It would be much better if there were voice talent, instead of just text dialogues. The writing is witty and funny and the story engaging, but would be better with voice. Also, there is a strategy guide built in. You click on the HInt Book and it reveals what you need to do in stages. It tells you what your objective(s) are and then each time you click on "Read More" it gives another hint until it tells you exactly what you need to do.

It is not really a Hidden Object game though, which is fine by me. You have to find items in the scenes but so far there have been no typical close-up scenes with lists of hidden objects to find. There were a couple of scenes at the beginning, but they were different. You have to find a hammer and 8 nails in a toolbox and it shows pictures of them. But it was different and easy and there haven't been any HOGs for awhile now.

So halfway through the game so far, I give it a good review, except for the unreadable white text. I'll post my final review after I finish the game.

Dominick Fontana

Edited on 04/20/2011 at 5:28:29 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Apr 20, 11 9:21 AM
Okay, I finished the game. The bottom line is that I liked it. The main problem I already mentioned in my message above. The white text was tough to read at the beginning of the game because there were many light backgrounds. It was more readable later in the game when there were darker backgrounds.

There were a few minor problems here and there, such as trying to put the rope on the pulley and finding some of the weights. Sometimes the game was too exact. If you were off by a fraction of an inch when trying to use an Inventory item, it wouldn't work.

But after all is said and done, I liked the game. It was very entertaining and that is the bottom line of what a game should be.

Two thumbs up here.

Dominick Fontana

Go to: