OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Twisted Lands: Shadow Town Collector's Edition

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Sep 23, 10 3:12 PM
Like I said early this morning Apples & Oranges ,,,,Peace & Piece , Big Little , Always other opinions , Thats what makes our world go round , Cheers

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Sep 23, 10 3:19 PM
Slightly undecided on this one. Graphics are surprisingly good for a casual game, sound is scarce. One sound effect sounds like one from Frontierville *lol* and has actually nothing at all to do with the game, it seems a random effect. Scare factor very limited, since ghosts are overdone and fog is per se not really scary. Also, it looks like the journal will be very full by the end since it already has 17 pages and I barely stepped onto the island. Reaching the boat it had 28.

Bottom Line: For a CE I'm expecting more, especially voiceovers and not just speech bubbles that I have to click through. I'll finish and have a look at the regular edition (you do know that in DVDs SE means "Special Edition" - very confusing!) and maybe see if it'S in the best selling games of the year.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 23, 10 3:29 PM
Graphics are great, and I like the music. I found the hidden object scenes pretty easy, I like more of a challenge - I want to get frustrated at not knowing what to do, and then euphoric when I figure it out! Will play out the demo and decide, but think I'll pass on the CE.

BTW, I did comment on spelling/grammar in previous posts. Will refrain from that in the future!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 23, 10 4:32 PM
minxs wrote:This is RIDICULOUS. Another CE from a dev that's negotiated prices with BF, while super duper games like Golden Trails have Picman begging us to buy them, yet have everything to qualify as CE. Just because the theme isn't popular -- yes, that was a poor choice on the part of the game developers, but you know it would have come out as a CE regardless, if the studio had been willing to sit down with BF. Woman in White -- another excellent game with the popular scary literary theme, but not a CE. And this? CE, for no reason. Not part of a series, not a masterpiece of literature, but it is a CE.

What did Picman say, back in the day? CEs would be very rare, not more than 1 or 2 a month if that many worthwhile games could be found (translation: if that many studios can be persuaded to cut deals with us). Obviously a nice surprise for BF in a tough economy for devs. And, as happens more and more, the demo is less than an hour and the strategy guide which we should be able to test along with every other item we are paying to buy extra for with the CE, is not available.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Now, I might or might not have bought this item, but that doesn't make my point any less true. Like any other addict, I am going to make stupid decisions to feed my addiction. It's still ridiculous, overdone, not what was told to us when CEs first entered the playing field, obvious that the standard for CE is not game quality but developer desperation, and it's insulting to pretend this is, for us, anything other than a back-door way to have tiered and "premium" vs. "worn-out: games/prices again: 2.99, 6.99, 9.99. 13.99, 19.99.

But, finally, I WILL boycott any CE that doesn't allow us to test the strategy guide as one important item in the choice of whether or not to buy the game at all. I still can't remember the game's name, but one SG was worded so poorly and confusingly plus wasn't easy to reach that I waited for the SE and used the walkthrough. Also, I'm still waiting for a "smart" SG that knows where I am in the game so that I don't have to go through pages and pages to find what I need. Kudos to strategy guides that at least take me back to the right page.

Thanks to everyone who did try this game so that I know it's another great game from Alawar I wouldn't be able to resist if I did do the trial. Thanks to you, I can just not download and carry on with my boycott!

Switching to decaf might help

pilimai729
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by pilimai729 on Sep 23, 10 4:32 PM
I very seldom knock a game because I realize everyone has different tastes, but....if you gamers love mazes, this is a game for you! Don't be lulled by the descriptions of the annoying fog. bottom line...it's a maze!!! I personally hate mazes and normally won't buy a game if it's predominantly mazes, however I did the trial, liked it somewhat, then read the reviews. I got the idea it was a little annoying fog and thought I can maneuver through it with limited vision so I bought it Wrong!! It's a maze. I dislike it when developers use that ploy to extend game play. I'm sure there are those of you out there that have a good sense of direction. I'm not one of themSo having wasted $13.99 I now have a game I may not be able to finish because I'm lost!!! Other than that it's an OK game.

ras7777
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by ras7777 on Sep 23, 10 4:34 PM
After just finishing the Poe game, this one seems a bit unimpressive. I did not find the story line interesting and it was rather easy. I don't think it is good enough to be a CE.
I will pass on this one. Very disappointed.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Sep 23, 10 4:53 PM
Great game! I said in a previous post that I would wait on the regular edition of a game and not buy the CE anymore because I buy so many games........uh............I lied ......Yeah, I couldn't stand it. I'm 62 and act like a kid at Christmas when it comes to waiting on a reg. edition of a great game! I know I put my piece in earlier about the great piece/peace war but isn't it about time to put it to rest?...........There, I've said my piece/peace
Dr.good

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Sep 23, 10 5:33 PM
sinshack wrote:
sinshack wrote:I kind of like the intersting "twist" with the walk-through. It only give you hints up to the area you are working on - you can flip ahead pages to find out what's going on later in the game..

Duh - never mind. That was the journal, not the walkthrough. Like I said, I'm easily confused.

So far I'm having a blast with this game - I only had to hit the walkthrough a couple of times (the cobra was one) so I'm feeling superior in intellect. That feeling will last until the next time I get stuck, probably in another 20 minutes.

LOL LOL LOL, sinshack, your comments are so delightful to read, you make me laugh everytime. You must be so much fun to be around! It is a wonderful change to read something quite funny instead of all the negative comments I have seen. You know something? I look forward to reading your comments and reviews every day just so I can see that ray of sunshine that you project I agree with you that the game is alot of fun. Enjoy the game!

sandrahollie
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by sandrahollie on Sep 23, 10 6:03 PM
Really good game. A little too much hunting back and forth through scenes but one of the best games I've played. Took a long time to finish.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 23, 10 6:38 PM
You fishies are making me laugh! For that, my thanks!

bkl8303
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by bkl8303 on Sep 23, 10 7:16 PM
Just a note to say this game is absolutely awesome. Graphics are clear, puzzle great, Not too much talking because you can skip. Just long enough to keep your interest. I thought this was one of the best games in a long time, Just about the play the bonus game. Yahoo! Thanks BF. Once again I want to thank all of you guys with your comments because without them, I would not have bought this game. Thanks again everyone.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Sep 23, 10 7:35 PM
Howatch wrote:You fishies are making me laugh! For that, my thanks!

Ditto!

aliesha78
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by aliesha78 on Sep 23, 10 8:03 PM
nomatt wrote:
BossBrat wrote: I noticed, right off, that people who create video games still don't know how to spell! In the very first scene the woman says something along the lines of "I've said my piece", obviously the incorrect spelling of the word in the context of what she was saying. "Peace" would have been the word to use instead. Gee, do these people get actually make all this money with not enough education to know which word to use in a sentence? The answer is obviously 'yes', lol.

Ha ha, 'I've said my piece' is correct as in I've said my bit'. I've said my peace doesn't make sense.
Great game BF.

Sorry Boss Brat but im with nomatt on this one! It is correct!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 23, 10 8:13 PM
Okay, bought the game after the trial. Seems short, but really isn't. Really liked the video walkthrough. Helped some of the instructions make a lot more sense. I got hooked and stopped only for dinner. Just finished the game. Can't tell you how long I played, since didn't look at the clock when I started, but it is now 8:12 pm. A lot more jumping around than I care for, but fun game. May we have more, please?

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Sep 23, 10 8:50 PM
First of...it worked - which is always a plus.
I liked the game, the graphics are really good, I had the sounds turned low so didn't hear much of that. But I think I wouldn't have payed much attention anyway - was too engrossed in the game - another plus.
The story so far was interesting, too - plus.
The instructions so far have been easy to follow and the object scenes aren't that hard either. Another plus.
BUT I honestly found it a bit too much hand holding. And that's really not good. On most games I make a lot of use of the walk through and the hints (sometimes low on patience, other times just tired or plain lazy....). Not a plus.
Right now I'm asking myself if it is actually worth the price of a CE if I almost get coached through the game. How would having the strategy guide benefit me?
Or is just the beginning of the game made deceptively easy?
Anyway, thanks to Alawar for another good game, but I'll have to think about if I'm gonna buy the CE or wait for te regular version. I still have a couple of days left till the end of the month.

espozito
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by espozito on Sep 23, 10 9:08 PM
Micha1234 wrote:First of...it worked - which is always a plus.
I liked the game, the graphics are really good, I had the sounds turned low so didn't hear much of that. But I think I wouldn't have payed much attention anyway - was too engrossed in the game - another plus.
The story so far was interesting, too - plus.
The instructions so far have been easy to follow and the object scenes aren't that hard either. Another plus.
BUT I honestly found it a bit too much hand holding. And that's really not good. On most games I make a lot of use of the walk through and the hints (sometimes low on patience, other times just tired or plain lazy....). Not a plus.
Right now I'm asking myself if it is actually worth the price of a CE if I almost get coached through the game. How would having the strategy guide benefit me?
Or is just the beginning of the game made deceptively easy?
Anyway, thanks to Alawar for another good game, but I'll have to think about if I'm gonna buy the CE or wait for te regular version. I still have a couple of days left till the end of the month.

It's not the first time I see such opinion and frankly it is confusing for me. CE is not all about SG, guys!!!! You can always get walkthough at the forum or gamezebo. You get a new whole chapter - now that's important! And you don't have to wait for the game 2 weeks!

Edited on 09/23/2010 at 9:09:13 PM PST

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 23, 10 10:15 PM
Not loving it enuff to buy it. simplistic, mediocre (graphics), boring, are words that come to mind. i played for a while, quit and came back, still wasn't good for me. i quit with a few minutes left and still felt sorry for myself....lol........

to be fair, i am easily bored and love to be challenged, so perhaps it's all down to me.
(first game i ever played was RTR...spoiled me for life, i think)

but, as we all know, everybody loves somebody sometime, so for anyone interested, please run the demo and decide for yourself. i usually read comments after i play the demo........

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 23, 10 10:22 PM
doctorgood wrote:Great game! I said in a previous post that I would wait on the regular edition of a game and not buy the CE anymore because I buy so many games........uh............I lied ......Yeah, I couldn't stand it. I'm 62 and act like a kid at Christmas when it comes to waiting on a reg. edition of a great game! I know I put my piece in earlier about the great piece/peace war but isn't it about time to put it to rest?...........There, I've said my piece/peace
Dr.good

lol...too funny!...hey i resemble your remarks in a lot of ways!

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 23, 10 10:37 PM
ancientpeas wrote:Hi,
My first post. I betaed (is that the correct wording? I'm worried now as I see people getting worked up over grammar) this game.

I loved the graphics and the storyline was intriguing, at least to me. I played up to the opening of the garden gate and then the demo was over. I definately think it's worth buying at the regular price.

I'm going to have to debate the merits of waiting for the regular edition or buying the C.E. I already bought one C.E. this month (the black cat:edgar allan poe one) and since I buy a lot of games already I don't know if it's wise but I think this game might be worth it.

I like the collector editions personally but I only own two: The Black Cat one and the Flux Family: Rabbit Hole. I'm debating The Drawn one but I think I'll wait for the regular edition. I actually found Golden Trails to be like a collector's edition at the regular price. The makers of that game certainly gave a lot of bang for the buck. I know some people didn't like the shooting of the gangsters part of the game but I didn't find that objectionable. It was a charming game to me. Probably my favourite game from 2010. The fact that it was the 6.99 price but felt like a collector's edition gave cheap old me a fuzzy feeling inside.

Anyway, I'm prattling on. I demoed this game. I really liked it and think it's worth buying at the regular price and potentially at the C.E. price as well.

Hi ancientpeas...welcome to you....i think the 'grammar police' are off duty right now, at least on the left coast area...but even if we are surrounded, say it like you feel it, as long as kindness backs your play. you have every right to say your particular piece about your trials and buys and if you have a typo or a misspell, fear not! there are those of us who can overlook an occasional error, just don't make it a habet! lol

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Sep 23, 10 11:27 PM
I really, really wanted to like this game since I need a few more games to complete my second punch card and I could go for another really great IHOG. However, this one just isn't it for me.

I thought it was really too simple. It would be nice to have the option of easy or difficult levels as other games have. I found it sort of irritating to have sparkles, etc. to guide me in the game. With a more difficult level, I would have the option of not having the extra help.

I noticed, again, that the strategy guide wasn't included in the demo. Since the game was so easy, I didn't need it, but I really wish at least a portion of it would be included in the demo so for those of us who do think it is important can decide whether we wish to purchase the CE version or the regular version. Yes, for some of us, the strategy guide is important and does play a part in our decision of whether we spend the money on a CE instead of a regular version.

Overall, I think what turned me off the most was the storyline. A little too "creature from the black lagoon" for me. The story started to get somewhat interesting when the demo ended so I'm not sure if it gets better or not. For me, I'll skip it and the regular version.

Go to: