LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for King Arthur

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 26, 10 4:35 PM
_Angel_angel wrote:LizzieK,

Thank you for taking the time to put my thoughts into words

Both of these games have been such a huge disappointment.

Your summation is spot on.

I wish that we could take the developers by the hand and show them what great possibilities are possible with these stories!
Angel
I agree Angel. This game had great possibilities. The developers website says they are trying to create these games to appeal to women over 35. I wonder who they have as beta testers? Perhaps they need to get some objective women in their target audience to beta test and offer suggestions.

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 4:36:49 PM PST

revdebz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by revdebz on Sep 26, 10 4:41 PM
Where the heck is the weight?

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Sep 26, 10 4:50 PM
just not feein' the love...

i knew right away this would not be a keeper, just didn't jump out and grab me - but i decided to play through the demo and see if i was mistaken... which i wasn't...

the graphics are okay, but some scenes are blurry and objects are hidden behind things, and sometimes i just didn't feel like hunting down a bushel of lemons... the puzzles weren't all that engaging, either... i mean, how many times can you play 'turn the rings' to make a pretty picture or see how many times you can play match or no match without screwing up? now, if the graphics were awesome, i would forgive the lame-brained excuses for mini-games... and if the mini-games were awesome, then i would overlook the quality issue that i have with the graphics... but with both kinda wish-washy - i say 'king arthur doesn't live here anymore'

maybe it's just me, but i didn't have the patience to listen to all of merlin's drivel, either... i know the stories, the legends, the what-have-you, so i don't need a raspy-voiced charlatan telling me how it goes... in fact, i think the only thing i really liked was the chime of finding something good - that and the big fish game manager announcing that my time was up...

guess now i have time to catch up on my trials...

Gothic1
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Gothic1 on Sep 26, 10 5:08 PM
I find this game absolutely fascinating. It could have included a minor spoiler at the beginning letting the player know that the hint system would be activated later in the chapter. The game does have a hint system and new mini-games. It is a HOG with some new improvements on variety. I am enjoying the game, I find it relaxing and challenging at times. Will definitely get it, but will have to wait till October, as I have already completed 3 puch cards this month. For those that were unable to get to the hint system in the DEMO, all I can say is that you are missing out on a very good game with good graphics and sound. Hope this helps. I don't usually post comments but considering the number of negatives I found on this Forum, I decided to speeak out. Good luck and have fun.

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Sep 26, 10 6:31 PM
Played the demo for 35 minutes and go to some new screens. Sadly, it is just too dark (my brightness is set on high) so have to pass.

Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Thaletta on Sep 26, 10 6:33 PM
Only lasted 10 minutes into this one of which 5 was the scrolling dialogue! No hints, not keeping, DELETED!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 26, 10 6:42 PM
Well I came back to see if given some time there may be enough players to redeem this game into the positive recommendations. It sounds like just the sort of game I wait for to appear. Relaxing, storytelling, immersive in mood and ambiance, good music, items not "too hard to find" (? must be on bigger monitors than 15"). No timers, but sparkles and handholding on casual mode. So, maybe when a walkthrough is released and it's a DD I'd give it another shot. Or, try the demo again on my laptop but that's even a smaller screen and no wide screen stretch option. I had no problem with custom cursor.

It was the timer on the demo that stressed me out mostly, I couldn't take my time to meet the challenges for openers. I can take some frustration but totally baffled what to do or how to do it left me more bewildered than anything. If I looked away from the screen and just listened to the story voice, that was relaxing but still tick tick tick I want to get on with the trial. I'll have more time to listen and think if I bought it. Crazier, when I got to where I could earn hints I got more baffled when I got the right order but nothing happened, it took me awhile to notice that I already had some on the bottom of the screen. OHhhhh that's what those are? I had found a lot of objects through wrong random clicks, in fact, I think I only got transported to that screen wrongly clicking some blue orb in prior one.

For children? I don't know any young kids who would have this much patience or figure out how to play with no normal tutorial. Both games by these devs should sell very well retail off the racks, buying the stories for their kids. But wait...no demo? no money back if tech problems or just disappointed? As for no walkthrough yet or forum, typical of a Sunday morning at BF, whose shift was it to start threads LOL. Wake up mods, I know it is midnight in Seattle but you are supposed to be sleepless too. I'll just wait for a walkthrough. I did jump on this because it didn't require much RAM to run on my older pc. Just didn't have enough help for a smooth start, I only got one hour of "baffled".

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Sep 26, 10 7:01 PM
My review in one word: *yaaaawwwwnnnnnn".
Had to come back because I read LizzieK's comment that "The developers website says they are trying to create these games to appeal to women over 35". IDK what they think women over 35 look for in a game but it sure isn't this. I know; I'm in their "target group".

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 7:04:35 PM PST

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Sep 26, 10 7:13 PM
pungstress wrote:My review in one word: *yaaaawwwwnnnnnn".
Had to come back because I read LizzieK's comment that "The developers website says they are trying to create these games to appeal to women over 35". IDK what they think women over 35 look for in a game but it sure isn't this. I know; I'm in their "target group".

I too am in the category of woman over 35 but no way will I waste my time and money on this game.

Annietano
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by Annietano on Sep 26, 10 7:14 PM
Gothic1 wrote:I find this game absolutely fascinating. It could have included a minor spoiler at the beginning letting the player know that the hint system would be activated later in the chapter. The game does have a hint system and new mini-games. It is a HOG with some new improvements on variety. I am enjoying the game, I find it relaxing and challenging at times. Will definitely get it, but will have to wait till October, as I have already completed 3 puch cards this month. For those that were unable to get to the hint system in the DEMO, all I can say is that you are missing out on a very good game with good graphics and sound. Hope this helps. I don't usually post comments but considering the number of negatives I found on this Forum, I decided to speeak out. Good luck and have fun.

Annietano
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by Annietano on Sep 26, 10 7:20 PM
I agree! I ended up buying this game after I made it through the beginning tutorial. I was able to skip through dialogue as well as mini games, although I played and enjoyed almost all of them. There is a hint system that kicks in after the tutorial and, contrary to what some thought would be the case, to renew the hints was a piece of cake. The runes do not have to be clicked on "in their exact order". I have played this game on and off for several hours today and have just now completed it. The epilogue was quite boring, and there was no "skip" button, so I just hit "ESC" and I as outta there. I would urge you to have patience with this one, get through the tutorial, and then play awhile before deciding to write it off. I found the objects challenging to find in a lot of cases and I really appreciated the mini games which were different than the run-of-the-mill ones so common today.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Sep 26, 10 8:37 PM
This turned out to be an ok game. The opening dialogue was slow and the lack of a hint button in the opening 2 HOG scenes caused me to get frustrated. Sometimes I end up using hints in a game, and sometimes I don't need to use them, but it is always nice to have a hint system. Sometimes the name of an object is lost in translation, and try as you might to understand what you need to find, you just can't find it.
Finally, I started to get into the game.The graphics were mostly clear, and the objects were not too difficult to find. I did use hints, and once the hint system was explained, I just went into the book to see what items I needed, and I had more hints. I did a couple of minigames that I had to complete, only skipping the Whack-an-Animal because I was never quick enough with my computer mouse. Towards the end of the demo, I was getting tired of having to find 10 of this and 15 of that.
I felt that I didn't get into the game enough to really want to buy the game right now. I might buy it if it became a DD, but when it finally does become a DD, I probably would find the same problems all over again and give up on the game.

Ancientgamer
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,486 Posts

[Post New]by Ancientgamer on Sep 26, 10 10:01 PM
I like this game. Had no technical difficulties, no problems finding items (although am a bit confused as to why the last couple of games I've purchase have no hints during the first few scenes???)

But I was happiily playing the game with no problems when all the the suddeh the screen when black - and thought Oh No! I've got a problem - but it was just the demo telling me my hour was up and the screen of course came back on and asked me if I wanted to purchase it - which I did.

Love the era the games is based on and if you have to study a ittle harder on the HOG scenes - well, that's what makes the world go around. So far I'm really enjoying itI

octavia13
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by octavia13 on Sep 27, 10 2:05 AM
I am also in the 'target group' and it definitley isn't for me. Boring start, like being in a class you don't want to be in lol

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Sep 27, 10 2:34 AM
There is way too much talking in this game. The graphics are nice. The gameplay is simple. There are several minigames. Sadly I got tired of listening to Merlin ramble on. After an hour I was bored and really had little interest in the game.

This game is a B-.

Izziewizz
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by Izziewizz on Sep 27, 10 2:55 AM
I'm in the target group too, and I can read more than one letter at a time. I deleted the game after 20 minutes, as 10 of those were taken up with waiting for the text to type out.

Clicking on the red arrow just moved on from the text - I had expected it to at least show the completed text, then move on at the next click.

Shame - I love all things King Arthur related.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Sep 27, 10 2:57 AM
It took me forever to do 2 screens. I hung in there and it didnt get much better.

No hints until several rounds in and I did not like this game at all.

Zero stars from me.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 27, 10 3:32 AM
LizzieK wrote:I am so puzzled by this developer’s approach to game mechanics. This game is by Moon Cake, the same developer who gave us L. Frank Baum’s The Wizard of Oz.

You would think that from what fishies had said about 'The Wizard of Oz', they would have tried to bring out a better game this time.

I couldn't stand it for more than 15 minutes.

1) Graphics are terrible

2) Too much talk (don't mind explanations and such, but this is too much).

3) No hints for the first couple of scenes. Had a hard time finding that darn mug.

4) When hint system is in place, no real explanation is given to what each of the 4 orbs are exactly doing.

I didn't even hang around long enough to find out what each hint orb is there for. I just deleted the game again.

podette
Clownfish
Clownfish
527 Posts

[Post New]by podette on Sep 27, 10 3:40 AM
I loved this game, if you hang on in it gets better and better

[Post New]by Coronagold on Sep 27, 10 3:43 AM
Like an open sore.

Go to: