valeriepres
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

Re:Post any Columbus: Ghost of the Mystery Stone technical issues here only

[Post New]by valeriepres on Oct 1, 10 1:07 AM
My instructions on 2 previous posts seem to be just a temporary fix. Bigfish need to update this game for it to work perfectly though.
Going by my instructions on the 2 posts I made, I found that by exiting the game and turning off my PC for the night, I had to uninstall the game the next day and re-install again to make it work. I even had to do the uninstall and reinstall when I just exited the game to play later in the day! It is a real problem. Anytime you find that nothing happens when you click on the icon of the game (or Game Manager to start the game) then you have to go to the Task Manager everytime to "End Process" of Columbus. The game is running in there and by ending the process it frees up the game for you to proceed, if that makes sense.!!

I have found though even after uninstalling and re-installing the game, when I came to play it again it kept my progress and I managed to carry on where I had left it the previous day!
So it is great that it holds your progress even after you have uninstalled it and reinstalled the game!!
Still, it would be far better to be able to go into the game without this hassle.
Can't wait for Bigfish to come up with the solution because it is a great game to play!!

Edited on 10/01/2010 at 8:17:08 AM PST

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Oct 1, 10 2:28 AM
I've tried the game manager property change .....still won't work. Dosen't pay for me to have a new computer if new games won't play on it.

valeriepres
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by valeriepres on Oct 1, 10 4:18 AM
shaboo58 wrote:I've tried the game manager property change .....still won't work. Dosen't pay for me to have a new computer if new games won't play on it.

Have you also tried the "end process" on the Task Manager? See my post on page 4 about this because the game will not play unless you take it off the processes list on the Task Manager.
Do you know how to get the Task Manager?
CTRL,ALT and DELETE to get it.

Edited on 10/01/2010 at 4:19:14 AM PST

Myriade99
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by Myriade99 on Oct 1, 10 7:27 AM
Well i have Windows XP and it's not working for either

Later...but after I restarted the computer it work very well.

Edited on 10/01/2010 at 8:32:56 AM PST

[Post New]by bosnmt on Oct 1, 10 7:33 AM
I have win-7 also does not work same as every one else talked to teck support and they sent me a E mail with two things to do did them but to no avail so they gave up and gave me a game credit hope they get it fixed as was a good game the 45 minutes I got yo play

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Oct 1, 10 11:21 AM
Hey Fishies,

Just popping in to let you all know that we are aware of the incompatibility with this game and Windows 7 and are currently working on it. If there is an update for the game, we will be posting in here and will also make an announcement in the Game Forum, so please check back.

Thank you for your patience, we really do appreciate it. If you have any further questions about this purchase, please get in touch with Customer Support by clicking on the green envelope to the right!

-bfgArnoStyx

Cherubabies
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,247 Posts

[Post New]by Cherubabies on Oct 1, 10 9:09 PM
Game stalls and freezes upon entering and exiting. I've had to reboot my Computer several times because it freezes up.

Pity because I like this Game but I cannot buy it the way it runs at the moment.

babe09
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by babe09 on Oct 1, 10 11:22 PM
bfgArnoStyx wrote:Hey Fishies,

Just popping in to let you all know that we are aware of the incompatibility with this game and Windows 7 and are currently working on it. If there is an update for the game, we will be posting in here and will also make an announcement in the Game Forum, so please check back.

Thank you for your patience, we really do appreciate it. If you have any further questions about this purchase, please get in touch with Customer Support by clicking on the green envelope to the right!

-bfgArnoStyx

babe09
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by babe09 on Oct 1, 10 11:26 PM
So glad to hear they understand our dilemna... I really wanted to play that game and it's never worked on my windows 7/64 bit system. No sense in rehashing all that you complained about as mine is the same. It doesn't work at all... sigh

I am just glad it might get fixed so we can all enjoy it.

babe09
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by babe09 on Oct 1, 10 11:30 PM
RedSox4evr wrote:on average, I play 6-8 bfg games a month...and none of them say win7 for system requirements. With the ocassional exception, they all work. This one does not even open. Win xp is obsolete. Games should be win7 acceptable. I really dislike a great game being released and not working. Still waiting for Redemption Cemetary to be fixed. Starting to lose faith in this website.

Don't lose faith.. these folks are very generous about giving you credits for games if you come across a problem that can't be fixed. I don't think I have ever had a problem that they didnt' try to make right... So make sure if you did everything you could and got nowhere, to contact them and let them know via their chat window. I am sure they will make it up to you.

valeriepres
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by valeriepres on Oct 2, 10 12:58 AM
valeriepres wrote:My instructions on 2 previous posts seem to be just a temporary fix. Bigfish need to update this game for it to work perfectly though.
Going by my instructions on the 2 posts I made, I found that by exiting the game and turning off my PC for the night, I had to uninstall the game the next day and re-install again to make it work. I even had to do the uninstall and reinstall when I just exited the game to play later in the day! It is a real problem. Anytime you find that nothing happens when you click on the icon of the game (or Game Manager to start the game) then you have to go to the Task Manager everytime to "End Process" of Columbus. The game is running in there and by ending the process it frees up the game for you to proceed, if that makes sense.!!

I have found though even after uninstalling and re-installing the game, when I came to play it again it kept my progress and I managed to carry on where I had left it the previous day!
So it is great that it holds your progress even after you have uninstalled it and reinstalled the game!!
Still, it would be far better to be able to go into the game without this hassle.
Can't wait for Bigfish to come up with the solution because it is a great game to play!!

I really couldn't believe it! This morning, the game started fine just by double clicking the icon on my desktop!! I have just finished the game. It was very good!!

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 5:30:37 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 2, 10 6:05 AM
Thanks all for posting. Before I wrote CS I came and saw this W7 and was amazed, we seemed to have variations of the same theme, game not closing or still running. I just did the Task Mgr PROCESSES tab and it worked. There were 2 files saying Columbus and wasn't sure which one to end, chose the one with smallest k'bs but both deleted together.

There had been NO progs listed in my Task Mgr to end, I never knew about Processes. I double clicked game icon as somone said, instead of right click play, started right up where I left off on demo 2 days ago when demo had played fine. Then I bought it Oct 1st but didn't try to play til tonight (Sat early AM). I exited, went back to desktop, game mgr, open with Play, game opened where I left off, no problem. Most bizarre. I couldn't test it on pc with xp svpack3, not enough ram.

None of the new games have included W7 on OP, all say XP, Vista, so that isn't an issue. I bought new laptop in April W7 64bit Home, Toshiba and bought 60 games since plus a demo nearly every night, no W7 issues til now. Except one old mahjong game that hits a violation error 10 min into the game and terminates in both XP and Win7. I'd guess this is a game mgr issue on exit.

I played several games before trying to open Columbus tonight, so when Columbus wouldn't open by any manner tried I thought the previous demo didn't exit and still running so I uninstalled that. I tried uninstalling Columbus both from GM and Control Panel uninstall, said can't uninstall while still running. Restarted, powered down, did disk cleanup, still would say game running. Then no other game would start because same running issue. Did the fix here, task mgr, processes, now restarted game from icon, and game mgr and goes right back to where demo ended and I bought it. Hope I don't have to do it again tomorrow but I love this game. I'll just watch for a rebuild, the dev from Vogat participates in the forums so I'm sure they'll be on it already. So, not writing CS. Just wanted to say for me that fix worked, now 6am wasted a night of game play. But out of 60 games, a new glitch happens now, I can't complain. "Bought" it with a punch code I hadn't used, so out no money. If no rebuild I know CS will make it good. BUT running now so...back to game

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 2, 10 6:13 AM
Forgot to add BIG THANKS TO VALERIE!! It sounded to "techie" for me to even try, and I never ever get into game files, too scary and complicated to remember what to do. This was sure a fix for dummies. I'll let you know if I have to do it again tomorrow, but I started and exited 3 times now different ways and each time back to where I bought it, about 45 min into game. Happy gamer here

Hope everyone else finds it works, but we should all get the rebuild soon.

EDIT OOPS, guess I spoke too soon. After posting I went back to play and same as hours ago, no response. Went to gm mgr and think when Ii hit Play nada.Did the Task Processes like before, ended Columbus files (2), when I went back to Play I got gm mgr thanking me, do I want to play again. Yes. back on game. Whew. But it opens on page showing other Vogat games to test, but takes you to actual game page to demo or buy, not where I left off. So have to go back to main menu to play again.

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 6:47:54 AM PST

cobra415
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by cobra415 on Oct 2, 10 10:09 AM
I too had the same problem,It installed fine but wouldn't open.It locked up my system after a minute or so.I hit task manager and ended all columbus
processes.I Immediately uninstalled it.I use a Win 7/64 bit system.Hope they find a fix!

beaski
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by beaski on Oct 2, 10 11:06 AM
I finally got it to work!!!!!! No problems downloading and even opened the game from games manager. Good game.

[Post New]by EMERGENCYCOP on Oct 2, 10 12:03 PM
TRY TO START GAME GET MESSAGE THAT SAYS DATA\LEVELS\SURVEY_PICTS TXT NOT FOUND. GAME IS RUNNING CAN HEAR AUDIO BUT NO VIDEO

[Post New]by mafromcolumbiamo on Oct 3, 10 12:25 PM
Also cannot get game to load-downloaded twice, deleted twice. Not usual BFG quality.

whisperone
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by whisperone on Oct 3, 10 7:09 PM
valeriepres wrote:I am also having problems with this game!!
I downloaded and installed it today and when I clicked on "play now" a message said that it was already running which is wasn't!!
I tried restarting my PC but it still would not work!
I tried uninstalling the game from my PC (From the Programs - Control Panel) and it will not uninstall, it will not uninstall from the Big fish game manager either!
So I have a game on my PC that I cannot play or even get rid off from my PC.
I also have Windows7

pumpkin88
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by pumpkin88 on Oct 4, 10 5:31 PM
Same for me - game won't load - it unable to start already running. It ran for me a couple of times and now it won't run at all. I did really like the game. Running W7 64-bit

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Oct 5, 10 3:40 AM
Is this game still being worked on???? I'd really love to be able to open this game,play and buy after all he good reviews.

Go to: