efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Island: Castaway

[Post New]by efi24 on Oct 25, 10 2:37 PM
Wow! This is really a brilliant game - I am sooo in to it right now - haven't finished it yet so not reading all of your comments

I'm getting to like the new adventure game type which is more of a fusion I think and hope it will keep on flourishing.
Although very (very!) different, it kinda reminds me of Wandering Willow, it has much great gaming challenches and YES - no hidden objects - why do so many people need those anyway?
(sorry but I never really get it)

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Oct 25, 10 2:39 PM
Gala_Day wrote:
Linda_in_Aussie wrote:
brookings wrote:I guess I'm the odd ball here. I just didn't care for the game. It seemed all this guy did was run around picking up fruit, logs, etc and getting hungry. I gave it 30 minutes and became bored. Glad everyone else is having fun. Enjoy!

I'm with you brookings... I couldn't get into this game at all and became bored too. Maybe I don't get it because I'm not crazy about time management games or similar. Just running around picking up stuff didn't appeal to me.

Your not the only odd ball floating around here in the pond.

Thank goodness, i thought it was just me!

Patience my friends - that dude hunts too!

pumpkin88
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by pumpkin88 on Oct 25, 10 5:53 PM
I purchased this game right after I finished the trial. I love it - it has been fun to complete the tasks and follow the game without having to visit the forum every second for clues. - Big Fish

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Oct 26, 10 9:47 AM
Just finished it - very reluctantly LOL. I really DID not want it to finish. Brilliant. I can't wait for the next instalment. I loved the characters and as someone else said the natives were drawn beautifully. I also enjoyed being a man for a change. Loved all the tasks, The story drew me in and I really felt as if I was transported to an island. I've never been a tom-boy sort of girl but I enjoyed making arrows, chopping down trees and hunting.

Please BFG don't make us wait too long for next instalment and perhaps you can bring us others in this genre. WW is in my top 5 games and this was as good.

5 from me.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Oct 26, 10 2:18 PM
At first I wasn't even going to play the demo. I thought another time management game and I wasn't interested. But...I thought what the heck and gave it a go, and am glad I did. There is no time clock involved. I just have to remember to eat to keep my strength up, and having been gored to death by boars twice, I've learned to be very very careful around them My hour demo went by so fast! Of course, I'm tired of everyone telling me what to do while they just sit around daydreaming! I like what Cherbtoo said about it being a figment of Tom's imagination. Cool thought! Now I'm off to get the game.

margojg
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by margojg on Oct 27, 10 9:47 PM
I don't usually play this type of game, but tried and liked the demo, so bought it. I have to say I really enjoyed playing it. It took me a long time to finish, but I enjoyed it especially once I got on to some of the tricks of doing things. I know I will be playing it again and I am looking forward to the sequel. I wonder what is in the box. I wonder what the ship is all about.

Apadenska
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by Apadenska on Oct 30, 10 12:26 AM
Great game BFG ! I give it a

bethy829
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by bethy829 on Oct 30, 10 1:02 PM
What an AWESOME game! Such a change from HOG and match three. You really feel like you are actually on the island. I normally don't like this type of game, but can't stop playing it. Got the whole family hooked. Hope there will be a Castaway 2 soon.
Thanks BF... you out did yourself on this game...

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Oct 30, 10 3:55 PM
Kept my interest for hours. I looked very funny running into the local village with 3 or 4 wild boars hot on my heels.

Not finding out what the parting gift was and a new threat on the horizon leave me looking forward to part 2.

miazuldecielo
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by miazuldecielo on Oct 30, 10 4:24 PM
Grrrrrreat game! Most enjoyable...I took three days to complete it and I'm hungry for more...

I'm really looking forward to a part 2.

Btw, no timer makes a difference

Thanks BFG

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Nov 2, 10 4:03 AM
Gosh, I love this game. Couldn't stop until I'd gotten gold on all trophies. There are some issues (stereotyping for example), but it's probably just personal taste. I just kept in mind that this is a GAME and for fun, not a social statement.

GRAPHICS: 4 out of 5. Very nicely done with great shading on everything from backgrounds to sprites (animation term: anything that moves is called a sprite). The style is cartoonish with the character stills, but still okay. Not crazy about the stereotyping, however.

SOUND: 3.5 out of 5. The music is really nice, IMHO. The voice acting, however, is not. It's not so much the actors' fault as it is the corny dialogue. They have some really bad scripting to deal with. Also, it doesn't always match with the subtitles.

GAMEPLAY:
4.5 out of 5. It was really clear and easy to follow on how to do everything. On occasion, though, it was a little tricky on finding the person you're supposed to talk to. Most of the time, you can locate them on the map, but on rare occasions, you have to wander around and talk to other people before you can find that one person. It would be fine if it said that up front, but you have to figure that out for yourself. A really good feature is autosave, which you can turn on or off on the Options Menu. Also, there is no timer, so you can take your time to do things. Last point: it has a good ending, but it's set up for a sequel (which I am really looking forward to).

FUN FACTOR: 4 out of 5. If you like fulfilling quest after quest, hunting and gathering, exploring... this game will likely be worth your time to check out. If you want mini-games and puzzles, look elsewhere. This is strictly an adventure-type game. No HOG at all.

NOTE:
There are LOTS of snakes. Tons of them. If you're afraid of snakes, stay away from this game. You cannot avoid them, they are part of the storyline.

Sorry for the long-winded review. Hope it helps, though!
Always try before you buy.... and have fun!

Edited on 11/02/2010 at 4:06:26 AM PST

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Nov 3, 10 2:12 AM
I must have missed something during my trial. I, too, was bored with the running and the eating and the picking up stuff all the time, and people telling me what to go and get and do. Got stuck on the fishing thing (never could fish), so just quit. But so many great reviews! Maybe I felt rushed during the trial, but if I bought it, I wouldn't have to worry about getting things done quickly - could take my time and figure things out. So this one goes on the "to buy" list when I get my free credit this month. Thanks all you great fishies for making me see the FUN in playing this game, instead of the rushing around during the trial. Maybe because the poor guy has to RUN everywhere, too. But I'll give it a try with a free credit - could use something fun to play for a change!!

Thanks again!

[Post New]by Lady_Kate on Nov 7, 10 5:50 AM
Hi!
I really liked this game a lot bacause it's something different than the other games and there is a lot to discover. Sometimes I didn't like the looking for people but the map really helps a lot and I got out that I could let him run when I clicked on a fire nearby.
I hope there will be a 2nd part and I am looking forward to it and I am curious what kind of new ideas the developers will have...
Greetings from Switzerland,
Lady_Kate

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Nov 7, 10 6:03 PM
The Island: Castaway (Build-a-tribe SIM)

Options include separate sliders for music and sound, plus Mute, Full-screen and Auto-save functions.

You can click through the dialogue/cut-scenes at your own pace (and indeed, you need to in order to progress!)

The game has voice-overs, and they seem to be well-done. I've had the sound turned down a bit, but I liked the music on the opening screen. I think it continues, but I'm not sure, as others are watching TV in here and it's hard to hear! lol~

This game actually reminds me of a Role-playing Game (RPG), in that you are given "quests" that you need to complete to move on with the game. 40 minutes into the game, these quests include things such as gathering fruit, getting sticks for a fire, building a tent, catching fish (meh), trapping crabs (fun!), making meals, etc. There are a lot of people to get to know, and the game makes it to-the-point and easy to remember.

Navigation is done by clicking where you want to go on the screen, or by clicking and holding down the mouse button until you get where you want to go. There is an overhead map, and characters are depicted by stars on the map. You can click on a character's star to tell the game you want to go there, but you can't just click an area on the map and run there - click a star or do it as described above.

Gathering supplies is easy - just run around and grab anything clickable!

Cooking is also easy. You don't have to remember the recipes, there's a tab for each recipe, and the ingredients you need to gather are listed. If it's red, you need more of whatever the recipe calls for (though it will tell you exact quantities needed and how much you need, the red makes it even more noticeable). Just go to the fire, select the recipe and click cook (or whatever it says). Voila, it's done!

The developers made it very easy to remember your tasks (quests), as you have a task list that you can access, and the characters' stars will change color : Yellow - They need to talk to you; Red - They've given you a quest you haven't completed yet; Green - They've given you a quest you've completed, and you need to go talk to them.

Easy to learn, easy to play, and I can see where this game could get very addictive. A must try for those who like this genre of game!

DCS13
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by DCS13 on Nov 8, 10 12:45 PM
This game seeed promising during the trial. The graphics are great and the tasks are interesting. However, it is so easy to accomplish the tasks, except for finding all of the statues, that I flew through the game much too quickly. I don't think it was worth the purchase price. If only the "to be continued" had been included, perhaps I would feel justified in having purchased this.

[Post New]by countryhick54 on Nov 20, 10 7:35 PM
I really liked this game it worked great, had challenges and I like the casaways talking to one another, and the islanders. Some of the lines are a little hokey,{ darn it } but all and all good game hope they come up with part 2 or one like it soon.

Edited on 11/20/2010 at 8:38:13 PM PST

Ibid
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Ibid on Nov 27, 10 3:19 PM
I don't write on the forums much even though I've been a member even before there was a game club and have bought dozens of games from Big Fish. So when I do write it is because of a game that has been truly exceptional, with an ending that leaves me wanting more. This was just such a game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Castaway from beginning to end. Being mainly an RPG'er I love games that take a long time to finish, is very involving, and has a great storyline. Even though Castaway only scored two out of the three it's still one of those games that I'll remember fondly.

The two ouf of the three it had was involving gameplay and story. But even though this game was much shorter than an RPG ( I finished it in two days, and that's with exploring everything, like I love to do in RPG's) I can't hold it against the game. It was still very, very good. One of my all-time favorites from this site.

Don't let some of the earlier reviews sway you about the ending. This game is a complete game. It has a beginning, middle, and end, and the story does have its own self-contained ending.

I too hope that Big Fish gets the sequel. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. And that's saying something because very rarely will I ever buy a game outright without testing it first via trial and reading forum reviews for a week or so. The quality and polish on this game was exceptional.

looloopy
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by looloopy on Dec 17, 10 4:17 AM
I am so in love with this game and just cannot stop playing! I keep discovering more and more to do and better ways of doing it every time I take a "holiday" to the island.I now Know every inch of the island and where every thing is.New players dont ask for spoilers as believe me,the sense of achievement is worth a bit of searching and head scratching.More of these please.Iplay all games except arcade syle and this uip till now my all time favourite.Happy Xmas Fishies!

[Post New]by glow79 on Jan 29, 11 8:13 PM
Fun game. Can't wait for the sequel. I love to hear my kids screaming frantically as they try to run from boars, lol. I think it's the music that gets them so excited.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Apr 30, 11 6:07 PM
runewarden wrote:I like this game but it is not a new game!

This game was previously released as 'Stranded' as a mobile game by the company Glu, and was sold in 2005, infact the mobile game had a greater depth (you had to collect different types of plants, snakes, boars, fish etc - each with rarity levels)

So while I do like this game, it has nothing new - the plot is identical, the mechanics identical - the only addition is that of trophies, which doesn't make up for removing the rare animals and plants.

So a no buy for me, I would have expected much more than a rehashed game from 2005. If you don't believe me, go to youtube and check for stranded mobile game. You'll find it, and while the graphics have been (barely) updated for the bigger screen, the overall game is identical!

Well, isn't that a fun fact! A lot of old games have been recycled, you know, but that doesn't mean they aren't fun. I do have a question for you as an experienced person in this area - was there a sequel? Because I'm looking forward to one done up fresh or recycled as need be for the PC

Go to: