SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sinister City

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Oct 24, 10 2:57 AM
First, I did not like the fact that you had to direct John where to go - that would be John ... just John. If that was suppose to be funny, I missed it entirely. It was very slow moving and lacking in direction. You were to put the hypnosis machine together, but somehow I missed where the darn machine was, so spent a lot of time putting the discs and power things in different places, and had to finally use a hint. I've played all these mini-games before, only under much better circumstances. To me, this was clumbsy, to say the least, and a repeat of much better games out there.

To those who loved it, play on!! For me, it was just plain dumb.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Oct 24, 10 10:18 PM
stormymeadows wrote:Cute game but really geared to the very young, then again i am in the middle of playing Dacula 3 so i guess this would look to easy. Finished game in 3 hours and that was kind of dissappointing. Nice game but i wish i had not purchased after doing demo as i thought it might get tougher or last longer. WWWWAAAAYYY to short.

sorry to say stormy that you will not run across many games like path of the dragon very often... at least not show-boated as what's up and coming... you will find in time that you have to dig deep into the large file bin and check the forums and maybe even ping a fish or two about what direction to head in...

as for 'sin-city' here, it's a regular joe-schmoe kinda game, so the trend is leaning towards 2-4 hours of game play depending on the player and level of difficulty... to get a piece of serious somethin' that you can really sink your teeth into - go large!

i would recommend dracula: origin if you're liking D3... scorpio ritual was good, too, and then there's always the trusty siberia games... if you find you want to branch out into different genres and want more bang for your buck - large file games encompass many different types of games - the ones i've mentioned are ones i simply think you might take a gander at given the D3 reference...

whatever your mode of game - have fun!

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Oct 25, 10 2:12 PM
Maybe I am an odd ball, but I liked the game, thought it was very unique and different, from the usual HOG's that I normally play.
I am not very good at adventure games, especially the large file types, so the way this one was made, suited me perfectly, for those of us not adventure inclined..lol!!
LOVED, LOVED..the graphics, thought they were the BOMB...so cool to look at, I thought the game was creative and imaginative, the art work and graphics are what really sold the game for me.
Plus I am a HUGE fan of anything vampire related, the vampire was the best one I've seen thus far, but I liked all of the character's, even mom looked great, kudo's to the developers.
The mini games were different from the norm, enjoyed doing those, and I'm glad they were not so hard, that they took forever to figure out, some make them so hard, just to add length to the game, which is frustrating to me.
NOW the frustrating part, why make a great game, only to ruin it, by making it SO short.
If I could get my hands on the developers, I would break out my can of whoop ****, on them...lol.
It's really not funny though, to see all of that hard work, go down the drain because not enough effort was put in to make it a decent lenght, is just something that baffles me.
Sure I bought it, but there will be a ton of lost sales, due to the fact that it wasn't long enough, don't the developers make games, to make money ?
It makes me sad, because I liked everything about this game, and could of played it for hours, instead of 1 1/2 hours to complete it.
And as much as I liked it, if another is made, I probably won't buy it, unless it is at least, twice as long, as this one was..sorry but I am left feeling ripped off, even though the rest of the game I have no complaints about.
PLEASE listen to your customers, because I feel you all have a ton of potential, in making great games, don't let it go to waste.
...out, and thanks for the fun, even though it didn't last long

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Oct 26, 10 12:43 PM
I really enjoyed the demo and intend getting this game. It has really good graphics, the voice overs are pretty good, and the story is interesting. I particularly enjoyed the astral plane. I too like the hint system. I played the demo in Casual mode but after getting it, I plan to change to advanced. Very good game!

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Oct 26, 10 4:27 PM
I'm surprised to see so many of you comment favorably on Sinister City. Is it perhaps because the pickings lately have been so lean?

It was just ok at best for me and not a buy. Not horrible but not worthwhile either.

I have two bones of contention. The first is that I found the guy walking around to be really annoying. anywhere I clicked he walked there although I was mostly just checking to see if something there was hiding something that was needed.

Which brings me to point No. 2. You basically just went to a location and then clicked on every single object in case it was hiding something. What's up with that? Became inane and annoying very quickly.

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Oct 27, 10 8:13 AM
I found this game to be relaxing and enjoyable, however it is short! For this reason I will possibly buy when on sale.

I actually enjoyed the graphics which were clear and the only puzzle that I skipped are the strings I hate them, lol

If you are looking for a hard complicated game then this is not it, but still a nice game IMO.

I give it a 3 out of 5 because it is so short.

[Post New]by viamaria on Oct 27, 10 12:40 PM
not impressed with the game at all, I didn't really find any humor in it and thought the dialogue was rather cheesy. I was also disappointed when I got to the end, at least I think it is the end, it froze on me. After I gave him the clapboards it just froze on the director and the actor.... Did he get his girlfriend or not.. waste of time and just plain disappointed, I am finding it harder to download games from this site, as they are getting shorter and are not fun anymore.

janinpa
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by janinpa on Oct 27, 10 7:24 PM
I guess I have no patience tonight! I'm tired of clicking, hint system is horrid. Maybe just me, but I can't get into it. Going to delete the trial. Need just a HOG one tonight, maybe.

Happy Gaming.

Jan

[Post New]by Strangest1 on Oct 31, 10 8:32 PM
I did not enjoy this game at all. For one thing, it seemed to have some sort of technical glitch -- every time I finished a task, sparkly lights would blink in two places on the screen. At first, I thought it indicated a clue or something, but the lights just blinked and blinked in the same two spots, even when I changed locales or completed levels. Annoying. I had to exit the game and re-enter to get rid of those annoying lights.

The game was way too short. And about 3/4 of the way through, my clues stopped working. not a huge deal, as this was a pretty easy game, but annoying nonetheless. I thought the graphics were actually pretty unattractive. Did the vampire wife (the real estate agent) really have to be that ugly? bleah.

I'm glad I only paid $4.99 with the Halloween weekend coupon. I'd really be mad if I had paid full price or even club members' $6.99 price. Waste of money and time.

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Nov 1, 10 7:33 PM
grabbinbugs wrote:What a quirky little game!! Kind of tongue-in-cheek. Not my normal choice of game style but it has very nice graphics, well suited music, the characters and voice overs are nicely done and in casual mode not difficult to play. Hint system is pretty normal takes awhile to recharge. Not sure on length as have not seen a walkthrough.

Well "quirky" is a good word for this game and I agree with these statements

Not sure what exactly I would call this game but quirky works

I played most of the hour demo and really was not absorbed / interested to continue and this is not a buy for me.

Enjoy all - I am sure there are a lot of fishies that will like this game

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Nov 2, 10 4:49 PM
tropdechats wrote:What a hoot! Although I usually prefer my games to be more challenging than this one, this time I don't care. (The game is not very challenging -- the puzzles are easy and the HOG scenes are small and relatively clear. Others have already thoroughly and competently described the play.)

The game plays on all the vampire stereotypes from the moment it begins. As a huge fan of satire and self-deprecating humor, this is a game for me. It is well-written, cogent, and a lot of fun. Thanks, BF!

P.S. Good to see you back in "full" form, Goofyduck!.

Oh yes, complete agreement! I just don't get most LFAs so this lite adventure/IHOG is a treat. I played a little on casual setting then wanted to try harder mode. In mid-game, I was able to switch modes on options screen, so that's good.
This is a Buy for me and since I'm probably one of the slower players here, I may not even notice if it's "too short".
Kellie

Edited on 11/02/2010 at 6:47:49 PM PST

fla_girl
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by fla_girl on Nov 7, 10 4:48 PM
I'm trying to figure out why I bought this game is was poorly done.. Bad actors short game a waste of my money. Bad writing. other then that I liked the game... come on guys why do you keep putting out bad games.. We pay your saleries with out us buying your games you wouldnt have a job. so Please get with it so I can buy great games from you...

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Nov 8, 10 12:44 AM
fla_girl wrote:I'm trying to figure out why I bought this game is was poorly done.. Bad actors short game a waste of my money. Bad writing.

Yea, I wondered about that too! I had one too many tech issues with the game, and wrote Big Fish, who in return issued me a coupon of equal value. It still bugs me that I couldn't continue the game.
I checked the game log and there's a whole slue of error messages. Some of the errors are related to the .ogg files (sound/video), others are errors in loading textures.
WARNING: 02_01_wp_01.mesh is an older format ([MeshSerializer_v1.30]); you should upgrade it as soon as possible using the OgreMeshUpgrade tool. On & on it goes..

You are quite right by attributing the game to, - bad design.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Nov 8, 10 6:58 AM
This was a very basic and easy adventure type game. While it was pretty much what I expected in terms of game style and graphics, I was disappointed in the theme/story - it ended up being way too silly in my opinion. I did like the graphics and game play for a change of pace, but I was just glad when it was over - and really glad I had not paid full price...

runold
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by runold on Nov 9, 10 4:47 PM
What a waste-sorry I used my credit!!!!!

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Nov 9, 10 10:48 PM
A laughing out loud great experience. I played only the demo so can't comment on length. I loved this game! This is a great mix between simple HOG and adventure. Thought of it as sort of an adventure game lite - something to get HOG gamers introduced to adventure gaming.

The graphics were great and the humor was superb! Began laughing out loud at some of the unexpected comments and the way John travels on the map. This is the game I wish I had had way back when I began adventure gaming. It would have helped me learn all the things that I had to learn the 'hard' way. It made me feel so smart because I could complete the tasks without hours of frustration. The hint system was just right - gave a hint without doing 'it' for you.

For those who feel cheated and complain about too short - maybe that's because you're paying less than $10 for the game.

noahnana
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by noahnana on Nov 13, 10 7:47 PM
Strange, just strange, but not in a good way. I think there may be some tech issues with the game locking up, but even with those fixed I don't think I would buy it. It is just too repetative, and well, strange. Too much dialogue, I don't like having to click through lots of conversation, especially when it just doesn't interest me.

[Post New]by kellouakers on Nov 16, 10 2:55 PM
Feel a bit ripped off way too easy and very very short

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Nov 26, 10 2:18 PM
Hi everybody,

I played this game today. I found it pretty easy, which was annoying, but there were so many funny, silly parts in it that kept me smiling that it kind of made up for it in my opinion. So, while I didn't love it, I liked it.

Make sure to watch all the way through the credits at the end.

Edited to add: YAY! I'M FINALLY A SEAHORSE!

Edited on 11/26/2010 at 2:19:07 PM PST

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Nov 27, 10 10:34 AM
warmbear wrote:The voice acting is just way too earnest (and broad), as well as the dialogue itself being over the top, and therefore unintentionally humorous.

If you play a little further, you'll see that the over the top dialogue and bad voice acting fit in perfectly with the storyline.

I thought this was going to be a spooky game at first because of the vampire theme, but I quickly found out it's actually more of a comedy. The vampires are just regular old joes with jobs and... happen to have fangs and can turn into bats. I liked the silly story, but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

The hidden objects were fairly easy to find and the puzzles were very easy. The close-ups for each character when they're speaking are 3D models, similar to something you'd see in Half-Life or other Quake engine-based games of the time. While this sounds like a good thing, in reality it just means that the art is not as nice as what you'd have in 2D.

Go to: