Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Twisted Lands: Shadow Town

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Dec 20, 10 8:37 PM
I was having a great time with this game...EXCEPT for the constant back and forth to multiple locations, over the river and through the foggy woods...la la la la-te da ...uuugh.
I'm OK with maybe 2-5 arrows back, but during MANY points in the game, I was clicking some 10+ if not 12+ arrows back to apply/gather items in other scenes!
When that started -time after time toward the end- I became frustrated with the game and couldn't wait to finish. Also, without a map, I don't care how great your memory skills are...you can count on getting lost!

So, although this was a great game, good story, great graphics, etc etc - because of the random running around, I'd rate it a bit low --only giving it of 5 possible stars.

But, if you need the exercise you'll enjoy the long walks with this one.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Dec 20, 10 8:52 PM
SPOILER ALERT Maybe those leftover items were (highlight to read) returned to Angel because the final cut scene you can see her wearing the bracelet.
I guess the scene didn't feel the need to explain.
Anywho... that's my thought on the question of the final items.

Edited on 12/20/2010 at 9:06:30 PM PST

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Dec 26, 10 4:44 PM
I've just finished the game and thought it was really good, but this is my kind of game; I actually like all the running around. Some things took a while to work out but I did manage it all in the end without using the walkthrough. I too was left with the bracelet, the cigarette case and the hammer (although I had used the hammer at one point)
I thought the ending was weird, obviously meant to be an ironic twist but didn't quite explain enough to achieve it fully. I would like to have known exactly what had happened to all the other people.
However, despite that I really enjoyed the game and so far as the game play is concerned its for me.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Jan 9, 11 2:14 PM
I just finished the game and absolutely loved it! Graphics were nice and high res, pretty hidden object scenes, unobtrusive music, spooky atmosphere, intriguing story, fun puzzles, good length.

I'd consider this a puzzle/adventure game with hidden object scenes thrown in. This means that there was a fair amount of walking back and forth. I don't mind this, but I know some people hate it.

I know too that game logic is different from real world logic (I have an axe and I can chop through this rotting wooden door! Why do I have to go put a jigsaw puzzle together to get the door key???), but I went a little crazy when I found the porcelain cat. Why can't I just... throw it on the floor? Why can't I use my SLEDGEHAMMER to break it?

Did anyone else notice the shout out to Snark Busters: Welcome to the Club? I think the jukebox starts playing the soundtrack to the game shortly before it falls through the floor.

I really enjoyed the game and I know a lot of people didn't like the ending because it was a little bleak, but I'm a Lovecraft/Hitchcock/Twilight Zone fan, so it really appealed to me.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 19, 11 5:38 AM
I have been trying different demos mainly because I seem to be a bit bored with the games I have been buying. Just finished this demo and read the reviews. I will probably buy it at some point but I am a bit concerned about the length. I got farther than I like in the demo. The story is great and I would like to see where it goes but am still undecided.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Jan 22, 11 5:46 PM
Just finished the game and really enjoyed it. I didn't mind going back and forth at all. The fog, forest and tunnel mazes didn't drive me crazy. What left me complexed was the ending. I was like....WHAT"! Then I watched the scene again and got a little better understanding. I also wondered why I had 3 items left in my inventory. Anyway, it was very enjoyable and I don't regret using a credit on it at all.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Mar 28, 11 11:43 AM
My husband and I played this excellent game together. It kept us in suspense most of the time Here are some of the things we liked -- Very interactive; great graphics; original story; creative; spooky in places; music a plus. Using the hint button to highlight the destination arrows helped tremendously in navigating through the fog and the various scenes. This game called for a good memory as to when and where objects were needed. Great job, Alawar developers!

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 14, 11 1:40 PM
Graphics – 3 stars
Story – 2.5 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 3 stars
Overall – 2.875 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Sep 8, 11 6:54 PM
I'm giving this 3/5 stars because of the artwork, the Hidden Object scenes, and puzzles. All of them were above average. However, the length of the game was padded with endless back and forthing. The sound kept cutting out. When I would break down and click on a hint to try and figure out what to do next, there was rarely any logic in that next step. The storyline was interesting, and kept me going when I was really frustrated, but it just ended without answering any of the mysteries of the island. Maybe they will be answered in the sequel, but I won't be playing it.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Sep 17, 11 6:37 AM
When do the puzzles start to happen, I am getting a lot of Hidden Object which I like but I want some puzzles too

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 20, 11 1:22 AM
I've got the first one and was waiting for the SE of this one.
Very, very good game. Lovely graphics, nice and clear. Mini games not too difficult (up to my standard !), in fact I found it easier than the first one but I enjoyed it more. (May be the relative easyness was good for my ego ).

Nice and creepy, loved it. Now the big question remains, may be I should have bought the CE ? But in the forum most of the posts said it wasn't worth it... But the doubt will remain....

Edited on 09/20/2011 at 1:23:41 AM PST

BlueOctober
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by BlueOctober on Oct 27, 11 10:53 AM
I know I'm a little (ok..a lot) late to this party but I just played the game and wanted to throw my two cents into the mix.

The storyline was pretty interesting, and I don't find a lot of them interesting anymore. The graphics are ok....maybe 3.5 out of 5 for me.

I liked that the hidden objects weren't ridiculous to find...I think during the entire game I only needed the hint for two items, and I'm glad I used it because I NEVER would have found them.

I did, however, use the hint a LOT when trying to figure out where to go next. This was a lifesaver for me because there's already ENOUGH back and forth in this game without trying to guess at where to go next.

In fact, that was my main negative about this game....the whole "find one object, then go to the other scene to get another object, then go right back to where you were to use that object, but oh wait...you need one more thing in another scene" thing. That drives me nuts. I prefer a game to have more flow.

But, overall....this was a fun game to play and I'm glad I played it.

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 30, 11 2:28 PM
Wow, quite the unexpected ending. Even though it was by far not the best game I have played it was still intertaining.

HiLupe
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by HiLupe on Nov 12, 11 9:47 AM
I really enjoyed this game. I was pleased that it wasn't too short. The puzzles were good but not too challenging. The only thing I didn't like was the ending, which I thought was weird and a bit too abrupt.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Jan 29, 12 10:17 AM
I did enjoy this game but...2 of the puzzles had me almost pulling my hair out but I worked thru them and let me tell you all, that had it not been for the walkthrough I think I would have given up playing.
I use walk thrus as a rule, but I found this game and probably Twisted Lands: Insomniac the same..ish.
It was a great game all in all tho. Maybe if I slow down and play it without rushing through I would enjoy it more.
Thanks alawar!

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Jun 5, 12 9:18 PM
Good art, but. What were the devs thinking? Throwing in "everything but the kitchen sink" for plot, with mayhem for the conclusion? Too many plot elements unresolved and seemingly haphazard. The lack of map made traversing the game a chore. Some lovely art--really too bad that development of the storyline didn't get equal priority.

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

[Post New]by auds7466 on Jun 6, 12 3:20 PM
although i did not enjoy the music in this game. i liked the challenging puzzles and the colourfulness graphics of the game. the hints loaded quite quickly too. well done big fish on another great game

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jul 10, 12 2:29 PM
Probably there is a motivation to play this game again, but having just finished it, I'm not sure. I think after the first traverse through the fog first to the church area then the dock area, all those steps through the foggy areas should have been eliminated. It just stretched the game way, way out.

And my feelings about the end (spoiler): Playing a long, long game just so your character can get killed is not a rewarding feeling. I'd rather beat a villain, even if the villain is a clone of 100 other villains I've defeated in games. That being said, I thought from the beginning of the game that the girl was a bit odd. He asked her for something that was in her purse (which was right next to her) and she didn't even look up, just kept reading her magazine. She was never seen to react to anything. The flashbacks were weird, at first I suspected a strange cigarette fetish since one involved a cigarette and the other one the cigarette and a cigarette case (noticed a number of cigarette cases in HOS). Then I also thought at the end that maybe this was karmic payback because the guy kept thinking how he might find treasure even while trying to find his kidnapped girlfriend.)
The deserted ship and underground temple-like gateway were very Lovecraftian to me which is why I bought the game. I am very very disappointed.

If you love HOGs, lots of HOGS, and you don't worry about having a plot, this is a game for you. There are plenty of HOS in this game, believe me. And they're not too easy or too difficult.

[Post New]by Crystallinebeat on Jul 29, 12 10:19 AM
For those who confused why the game left you with 3 items..

The two items (bracelet and cigarette case), it's an "event" item, which means if you open your inventory bag and "double tap" it for the first time after you collected it, it will triggers cutscene / video. The cigarette case will trigger his memories with Angel at the boat, where he smoke, and the bracelet will trigger his memories of Angel where she kisses him at the boat. After that, the item will have no further use, as it's just serve as personal belongings, or memento, and has nothing to do with the game puzzle system.

The third item is a hammer. It IS useful, as I remember breaking 2 or 3 items with it. As we break more than 1 item, we need it to persists as there are maybe more occassions where we will break more items in the future.

Overall, this game is decent. But that's just about it. I like twisted ending, but I don't like when the ending is twisting me with which one is meant to be understandable, which one is left to be for mysteries. Nice graphics. But I don't think that I would ever wanted to run through that foggy forest again just to pick up some DARTS! Hell, why don't we just take the dart target board off by hand, or smash that car porselain with SLEDGEHAMMER??

godfreygirl
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by godfreygirl on Aug 18, 12 2:22 PM
Well....I've changed my mind on this one. I just LOVED it when I played the trial and bought it. The story was great, the graphics where beautiful and I loved that the Hint button told me just where to go next and I didn't lose a hint when doing it. But...I've just finished the game. I wish I could take back my raving review. This game takes you ALL over the place....back and forth....back and forth. Many games do, but this one seemed to take you WAY back just to find ONE thing. If it weren't for the Hint button and the walkthrough, I wouldn't have made it at all. I got stuck in the crane and then just pushed and pulled levers until I figured it out myself when I saw the ramp on the right of my screen. I don't want to spoil anything here, but I was NOT prepared for the ending and, frankly, for me....it did not make any sense because it didn't explain WHY it ended the way it did. So....no, I take it back. I wouldn't recommend this game except for just a 'time killer'....not for the pure fun of it. Sorry to those who did love it all the way through, but I just didn't.

Go to: