ccostly
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery of the Earl

[Post New]by ccostly on Oct 31, 10 7:55 AM
This game was an "average" rating for me. I usually play with my fiancee, but I went ahead on a couple of games and tried them alone. I agree with most of the posts here that the objects were very small. It seems that the screen itself to view the rooms was smaller than most HOGs and that wasn't a plus for me. I like big wide screens with bold graphics. I did like the twist in the story though - except, it wasn't enough for me to purchase.

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Oct 31, 10 10:54 PM
I completed the first chapter when trial ended and checked the blog..... This is a 6-8 hour game for me if all chapters take this long. My eyesight is excellent and I'm in my late 50's. The diamonds take a while to find and are different colors, like an earlier post mentioned. I don't know how people can finish a game in less than 2 hours, unless they are using every hint, skip and a walkthrough for the entire game.

I like the "fairytale" theme and almost didn't buy it after reading the "not impressed for various reasons" comments here. It's better to test the games yourself instead of relying on a complete review from others who have played only the demo. Comments on demos are different. We all have access to a free demo. Thorough reviews should be reserved for a game played in it's entirety.
I had to use the hint button once for 'paw' and then it turned out to be a chicken's (duck's?) webbed foot. That irritated me ....chickens/ducks do not have paws. Geez.
I decided to buy at the sale price but not 6.99 because of incorrect translations.

BabyNurse123
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by BabyNurse123 on Nov 2, 10 2:43 PM
Played the demo for about 20 minutes and quit. Between the irritating soundtrack and the headache I got from squinting while looking for hidden objects, I just gave up. The storyline couldn't even keep me interested as I found it boring. Not a buy for me.

[Post New]by magicnsmoke on Nov 3, 10 11:02 AM
This game is a no go for me..... very boring I quit after 9 minutes will not try again.
all I play are HOG's this one is particularily BLAH

noahnana
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by noahnana on Nov 3, 10 6:04 PM
Wow, this one was so bad I could only stand it for about 10 minutes before I uninstalled the trial. Normally I will give even bad games the full hour, but this one was just awful.

[Post New]by relic_hunter09 on Nov 3, 10 7:45 PM
I tried to give the lady a drink and couldn't pick up the glass, and trying to quit the game is a real pain. I think that I will pass on this one.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Nov 3, 10 9:53 PM
I usually enjoy FROGS but the HOs were just too hard to find. I got tired of searching for tiny marbles, diamonds etc. Also, a lot of the items just blended and faded into the picture making them almost impossible to find.

I had to use the hint button over and over again to locate items which was extremely irritating.

We have had such high quality games through the months of Sept. and Oct. I hope that we will have many more of these. I am a fan of the eerie scenarios and am also hoping that with the winter holidays at hand, we will still get these type of games.
I realize that a lot from people, from reading the reviews, like a more upbeat, fantasy ambiance: and that they deserve the type of games that they prefer, and that, there should be games that appeal to everyone.

Isn't it nice that we have a place to air our views. If I buy a toaster or a pair of shoes the manufacturer or dealer could care less what I think. But here, Big Fish seems to really care what we think. Keep up the good work "Big Fish."

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Nov 5, 10 8:36 PM
Mystery of the Earl (FROG/IHOG)

Options include Full-screen, Custom Cursor and separate sliders for Music, Sound and Ambient sounds.

Cut-scenes are skippable, and you can click through them at your own pace if you wish.

Gameplay switches back and forth between finding items by list (IHOG) and finding items by picture (FROG). The pictured items are black-and-white, so it's not an *exact* picture of what you're looking for... especially since they're fragmented objects

Some scenes have zoomable areas, and for each scene, you need to find 10 diamonds (optional). Collecting all of the diamonds will unlock "enchanting screensavers"... Which you wouldn't know if (like me) didn't choose to play through the tutorial.

This game is reminiscent of a Dream Day Wedding game to me, but early on we get a fairy helper who will provide HINTS (refillable). Somehow, magic seems out-of-place, and I'm having trouble reconciling the mixed plot in this romantic-mystery.

The music is appropriate for the era depicted, as are the items. There are no elephants in the clouds or toasters in the fireplace, but this game does contain FROG elements, so of course there are some oddly placed fragments during these scenes.

It is usually evident what the game expects of you, but there are occasional "What am I supposed to do now?" moments, especially when you're not sure which part of the scene (main scene or one of the zoomable areas) you're supposed to be looking in.

I only did 30 minutes of the demo, it's just not speaking to me at the moment. I will revisit it at some point, but for now, I do think it's worth a demo if the theme interests you.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Nov 6, 10 7:27 PM
Everything I think about the game has been mentioned. Due to this, it will be a no buy for me.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Nov 7, 10 10:54 AM
LOVE this game! Graphics are fantastic! Unfortunately, some of the objects to find get lost in the details. I have been looking for another FROG and this fits the bill. Low stress and fun game. Sorry to see all the negative comments.

Edited on 11/07/2010 at 10:58:57 AM PST

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Nov 7, 10 11:36 AM
I also found this game boring, there was a lot of good effort in graphics ie the trees moving in the wind. Very good. That's it, again, its not enough just making nice scenes I have to mention Snark Busters did it well-nice graphics and fun, ENGAGING story line!. This is exactly what other game developers are failing to do. Its also sad for us, that the game has potential, and obviously a lot of effort has gone into it but failed the mark. I think the story of a witch was boring, I tried it for the nice light scenes, but again it was not engaging, just played for the sake of playing it, a no buy for me, after playing for 25 minutes.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 10, 10 8:47 PM
And yet despite the overwhelming negativity, this game still somehow manages to be @ #12 into top 100 almost a month after its inauspiscious debut.

Methinks all the naysayers are intimidating all the ppl who liked it into complete & utter silence, judging by the #s. Hmmm.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Nov 10, 10 8:49 PM
Scarlet, where've you been? We've missed you at the Pub!

I don't dislike this game and will definitely revisit it someday - I just have a lot of other games waiting to be played, and this didn't "grab" me in the 30 minutes that I played

[Post New]by Cheekygurl on Feb 23, 11 8:28 AM
Beautiful graphics but too "frilly" for me. I guess I like my HOG dark and dreary. Game mixes **** with putting together objects to use to find other scenes or clues. I am not a big fan of putting together abstract pieces to make other objects so that plus
frilliness means I will pass. Also, in addition to grocery list of items to find, there are also times when you have to find ten (or some multiple) of the same item. Sometimes these are optional, like finding the ten diamonds in each scene, and other times they are required to move on, like finding the marbles in one of the early scenes.

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 5, 11 2:00 AM
Having the find diamonds mini-game throughout was fun, and I enjoyed playing hidden object scenes over many locations. The story could use a little work, but overall, it was enjoyable.

pomconfi
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by pomconfi on Aug 21, 11 4:21 PM
Hello,
it's sad that big fish didn't advertise this game.
it's VERY sweet and VERY GIRLY :-). well... I really adore it. I love fairy tales and sort of things.
the story is lovely, created world is very nice. of course creators can improve it. but still - I really enjoyed the play. I love girly stories, castles, this sort of romantic world. if you read all the poems and all dairy it became very very nice.
the idea of the HOGs and puzzles are quiet new, which is nice too. you don't have resemblance of the HOGs and puzzles in other games. so... something to work and improve the idea to be perfect .
I bought this game and I don't regret it in a second. there so many these stupid spooky games, and so little these sweet romantic stories.

although there's only one moment - this game is TYPICAL for girls. so... creators should really think to put characters right - less hot looking witches and more hot looking boys :-).

pomconfi
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by pomconfi on Aug 21, 11 4:24 PM
genkicoll wrote:Scarlet, where've you been? We've missed you at the Pub!

I don't dislike this game and will definitely revisit it someday - I just have a lot of other games waiting to be played, and this didn't "grab" me in the 30 minutes that I played

:-) normal. it's a GIRLY game!!!!!!! please just take it as it is!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 10, 11 4:06 AM
LapTopDancerr wrote:I completed the first chapter when trial ended and checked the blog..... This is a 6-8 hour game for me if all chapters take this long. My eyesight is excellent and I'm in my late 50's. The diamonds take a while to find and are different colors, like an earlier post mentioned. I don't know how people can finish a game in less than 2 hours, unless they are using every hint, skip and a walkthrough for the entire game.

I like the "fairytale" theme and almost didn't buy it after reading the "not impressed for various reasons" comments here. It's better to test the games yourself instead of relying on a complete review from others who have played only the demo. Comments on demos are different. We all have access to a free demo. Thorough reviews should be reserved for a game played in it's entirety.
I had to use the hint button once for 'paw' and then it turned out to be a chicken's (duck's?) webbed foot. That irritated me ....chickens/ducks do not have paws. Geez.
I decided to buy at the sale price but not 6.99 because of incorrect translations.

Thanks, lapdancer- I agree that reviews are best done on the entire product and that when a review is done on the demo only - or just a portion of the demo - that the comments should reveal that information.
I appreciate your review and I will probably buy today (DD) because of that and the good cause.

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Oct 10, 11 7:42 AM
Due to all you great fishies giving reviews & learning of all the troubles & glitches~
I think I'll pass on this even as a DD. Usually I'm willing to see for myself but this one sounds like it takes the crazy cake. I'm looking for entertainment..not irritation. So a big thank you for all your reviews fishes!!!!!

maxminpin
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by maxminpin on Oct 10, 11 8:05 AM
Objects are to blurred for me to see. Not clear at all. I personally do not care to look for extra objects such as the diamonds. Almost gave me a headache looking for objects. Kind of boring.

Go to: