Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Letters from Nowhere

[Post New]by stitchdesigner5 on Apr 29, 11 8:12 PM
SPOILER ALERT

I really did not like this game at all! The spyglass clue is not helpful at all if you cannot find the interactive object to relocate. There are 4 other types of clues that you can purchase for only one episode. Since you are not told how to use them, well, the 1st time you do use them, you will probably lose them. Scenes get darker, interactives become more and more off the wall, objects become smaller. Not happy.

Then, what's with the subject matter? DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR A CHILD!! Human sacrifice! How totally SICK!!!

And the game doesn't end. It isn't solved! At the end, you are told you MUST buy game 2 to complete the game. Just how stupid do they think I am?

Edited on 04/29/2011 at 8:14:31 PM PST

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on May 18, 11 6:12 PM
Overall Impression: a pretty decent straight-HOG game

Media Description: The hand-drawn graphics were clear for the most part. The voiceover for girl was pretty well done and seemed to fit her. I don't remember much about the music so it must not have seemed too out of place.

Storyline: A dark, somewhat disjointed storyline was developed through cut scenes and letters that (I don't think) could be skipped. The ending's content was a bit of a surprise and unexpected, but not totally out of left field.

Gameplay: This was pretty much a straight HOG - no wandering from place to place trying to find uses for items in an inventory. Sometimes the girl shared her thoughts (and storyline) with you after a scene; sometimes she didn't. If you earned enough points in a scene, you had the option of choosing from four different helps/surprises to add to the scene. Sometimes the helps you chose could be found; sometimes they couldn't.

HOG Scenes: The HOG scenes were nightmarish junkpiles. Some of the items were half-hidden by other objects. Others were funny sizes or barely distinguishable from the backgrounds they were hiding on. You lost points if you misclicked too many times in a row.

Minigames/puzzles: There weren't very many minigames. What there was was fairly easy and could be skipped if you wanted.

Hints: The hints appeared to be unlimited and refilled fairly quickly, but using them did reduce the number of points you finished the scene with.

Will Probably Appeal to: people who enjoy straight HOGS or dark-and-eerie games

Will Probably Not Appeal to: people who enjoy a little adventure mixed in with their search scenes or people who prefer to stay away from occult-themed games

[Post New]by minnow1 on May 31, 11 4:24 PM
Does anyone know why the clock ticks in the unlimited mode?

Re:Letters from Nowhere

[Post New]by cheffie on Jun 13, 11 12:35 PM
:suspicious oes anyone know how to get the stamps for phase one, two and three?
Let me no if anyone does no...

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Jun 13, 11 2:51 PM
Hi cheffie,

Welcome to the pond! If you haven't already, I'd encourage you to check out our Letters from Nowhere Walkthrough, which is packed with tips, tricks, and helpful screenshots to help you get through the game.

(You can click on the above link to go directly to the walkthrough.)

Helpful tip: Once you're at the walkthrough, use your computer’s search function (CTRL + F), type in "stamps," and then click 'Next' to jump to each section of the game where you'll find these stamps.

Hope this helps, and happy gaming!

-bfgHondo

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Jul 29, 11 6:49 AM
For a straight hidden object game, I thought this one was pretty good. The scenes were challenging, but very well done with nice graphics. There were some extras that added to the game, such as stamp collections, trophies, and other fun add-ons for helpful hints to move you along and gain points. There was also a decent background story that unfolded and gained momentum towards the end. For HOG fans, there seems to be good replay value.

Although I highly prefer adventure elements and puzzles in my games, I am occasionally in the mood for a basic hidden object game. I liked this one and am looking forward to progressing in the story in Part 2.

Gropitou
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Gropitou on Oct 16, 11 8:22 AM
Had this on my Daily Deal list for a long time, glad to finally have it. Not worth full price (compared to much better games out recently) but a big yes on DD.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Oct 17, 11 2:20 AM
I'm really surprised that I liked it! I am NOT a fan of hidden object games but I really havent been able to find anything else so I had to try this. I'm not going to change my stance on hogs but i do give one a try around once or twice a year. So...this was pretty decent & it definitely left me yearning for part two.

I would have liked the game to have been a tiny bit longer, but this seems to be the way ALL of the games coming out these days are

I liked this enough to go back & try to improve my scores & complete everything & whatnot AND to go and try the demo to part two, but only because the price is so low. I would not have paid more than a credit or $7.00 for the game since its so short, but for that price its OK. (think about a trip to McDonalds)

I had a pretty hard time finding some objects that were almost completely hidden. When I used hints, I was kinda shocked at just how hidden those items were!

I'm still quite disturbed at the fact that there's this vicious cycle between supply & demand. Like, I think the devs are churning out hogs (by the million) because people are buying them, but then people are buying them because that's whats available.
Still....this is a pretty decent game.

Edited on 10/17/2011 at 2:23:23 AM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 17, 11 12:25 PM
I actually had purchased the Letter from Nowhere II a few months ago and enjoyed it, so when this came on the $2.99 special I snapped it up. Very unusual game. The entire game is IHOGS w/mini puzzles within the HOGS. Very different all around. You will enjoy this one, especially if you like HOGs, even if you don't, it is a real challenge...the mini games are easier than the HOGS which are very tricky especially since this is a game that was designed in another country....good luck!

martanded
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by martanded on Dec 29, 11 9:32 PM
A waste of my money. Very boring, straight HOG. I should have read the reviews before I bought it, but I thought for only $2.99 I couldn't lose much.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 20, 12 6:31 AM

Edited on 06/20/2012 at 7:12:36 AM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 28, 12 4:41 PM
If I were not "charged" for using the Hint Button and had not had points removed for misclicks I would give this game a chance. But I will NOT play a game where I am penalized like that. After the second 200 points were removed I quit.

End of story.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Mar 5, 13 9:42 PM
After playing this game I literally felt like I got NOWHERE!! These "hints" you buy with points you earn are not helpful. The puzzles they throw into some, not all, scenes are only found if you happen to run your cursor over them, then they will light up for you to play, which is disruptive to finding objects. Some I had no idea what they were asking for, for example a huge white sign with the red circle and a red bar drawn across and I believe the clue given was you can't do this ( I may have that wrong ) but my point is the object was a cheeseburger! When have you ever seen a sign that said no cheeseburgers! Maybe they thought it was clever? But I did not share that opinion. I think the only thing I did like was searching for the stamps. And that's about it. This game did NOT end on a good note, basically baiting you into buying the 2nd one. However, I do realize it's just a game and I really don't mind playing occult themes, or voodoo dolls, or whatever, but I think the whole idea of a human sacrifice was a tad bit over the top. I just played a game that had a warning for children, which was totally unwarranted, but this game should definately have some sort of warning on it. Needless to say, I would not buy the 2nd Nowhere, I would not even use a free game on it, or credit, and even if it was gifted, I would not play it.

Swtmb
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
426 Posts

[Post New]by Swtmb on Jul 3, 13 6:34 PM
I really enjoyed this hidden object game, lots to do, fun with very little frustration. Try it!

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Oct 14, 13 7:51 AM
I used a Game Club Credit for this one after only playing a few minutes of the Demo. I should have played longer, because this game starts out well but gets old fast and very frustrating for someone like me with less than great eyesight. Hidden Objects are all very well: INVISIBLE OBJECTS are another thing entirely and when a player is forced to use a hint on an object that not even a person with 20-20 vision could possibly have seen something is VERY wrong with that game.

It goes on too long as well, a complaint I rarely make as more recent games have been criminally short. If it were more than just Hidden Object scenes (and the occasional mini game) it might have better justified its length but at the end of the day it was basically one big yawn and all I can say is I am glad I did not spend any actual money on it.

Go to: